PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Duncan's workout offers hope

Kori Ellis
04-08-2005, 12:31 AM
Spurs notebook: Duncan's workout offers hope
Web Posted: 04/08/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA040805.10D.BKNspurs.duncan.1b755bd70.html

DALLAS — After watching Tim Duncan work out Thursday morning at American Airlines Center, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich remains hopeful the two-time MVP will be able to play in the final three to five games of the regular season.

"It looks like that's possible," Popovich said. "We'll see how he does with a few more days of (workouts)."

Duncan, who has been sidelined since spraining his right ankle March 20, performed some defensive slide drills and worked on his lateral movement. He also ran in a circle to further test the ankle.

"It's a good step forward," Popovich said. "It's still painful, of course, but the pain tolerance is such that he's out there trying to work through it right now."

Popovich isn't as sure when, or if, Devin Brown will return.

Brown had his back examined by doctors Thursday, but Popovich had yet to learn the results of the visit.

Though Brown was feeling better after receiving his second steroid injection last week, his recovery has slowed.

If Brown isn't healthy by the start of the playoffs, Popovich isn't sure whether he will put him on the playoff roster. Teams cannot change their roster once the playoffs start.

"You can't afford to waste a spot obviously," Popovich said. "It's going to be a real tough decision. If we have him and he can't play for us the first couple of rounds, and we don't have a body there for that depth that could obviously hurt us. Because this isn't going to be any cakewalk."

Chip off the old block: Less than 90 minutes before Thursday's tipoff, Dallas coach Avery Johnson said he was unsure whether Dirk Nowitzki would play.

Nowitzki underwent an MRI on his right knee Wednesday, but team officials said the results came back OK. A sore ankle also has bothered Nowitzki.

"I'm going to be really cautious with him the way I was (Jerry) Stackhouse and (Erick) Dampier," Johnson said.

Johnson also may have picked up a few tricks from his predecessor, Don Nelson, who was famously coy about his team's injuries.

"Nellie is the best at that," Popovich said. "You didn't even know whether Nellie was going to coach when you came to arena, let alone who was going to play."

Nowitzki played, scoring 16 points and pulling down eight rebounds.

Too close to call: Popovich doesn't have a vote in the MVP balloting, but if he did he knows whom he'd choose.

Well, almost.

"It's Shaq or (Steve) Nash — take your pick," Popovich said. "What they've each done for their teams is pretty similar."

Good fit? Johnson has been around Popovich long enough to know how much he values defense.

Still, he wasn't surprised when the Spurs signed Glenn Robinson this week.

"Having been there for a while, I know they probably did a pretty strong evaluation before they bring a guy in," Johnson said. "It's the same thing they did they with Mario Elie.

"They evaluated that situation."

Robinson received a minimum-salary contract pro-rated for the rest of the season.

Ginofan
04-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Nowitzki underwent an MRI on his right knee Wednesday, but team officials said the results came back OK. A sore ankle also has bothered Nowitzki.

"I'm going to be really cautious with him the way I was (Jerry) Stackhouse and (Erick) Dampier," Johnson said.

Yeah you were really careful when you played him with a 30+ point lead, smart move there AJ!

Cant_Be_Faded
04-08-2005, 12:34 AM
haha, thats so true..

AJ has moved down 1.2 points on the Faith Scale.

Tek_XX
04-08-2005, 01:35 AM
I was thinking we could put Duncan in a wheel chair the last game before the playoffs just to physic out our opponent.

mouse
04-08-2005, 01:42 PM
I hope Duncan is 100% Somehow I feel as though he could be the next Grant hill.

I want the Spurs 110% healty come playoff time.

MannyIsGod
I don't know the specific difference in the different type of steroids, but I do know that anabolic steroids are the ones that are not allowed and considered cheating. There are lots of other steroids that are used in tons of ways in medicine.

exstatic
No. The injection type that Devin took are anti-inflamatory meds. They've been used for arthritis for decades.

I think they're referred to as cortical steroids, Cortisone being one of them.

mouse
04-08-2005, 01:49 PM
I was thinking we could put Duncan in a wheel chair the last game before the playoffs just to physic out our opponent.

Wheel chair smack is not fresh.

Sincerly: http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40163000/jpg/_40163484_reeve_ap203.jpg

ducks
04-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Tim Duncan: Could Return Down Stretch

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Friday, April 8, 2005
Update: After watching Duncan (ankle) workout Thursday morning, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich remains hopeful the two-time MVP will be able to play in the final three to five games of the regular season, the San Antonio Express-News reports. "It looks like that's possible," Popovich said. "We'll see how he does with a few more days of (workouts)."

Recommendation: Duncan performed some defensive slide drills and worked on his lateral movement, things he wasn't doing just one day ago. "It's a good step forward," Popovich said. "It's still painful, of course, but the pain tolerance is such that he's out there trying to work through it right now."

Updated on Friday, Apr 8, 2005 2:41 pm EDT