PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Spurs teammate (Bowen) has hard time seeing Drew Gooden as a center

Riverwalkman
08-01-2009, 10:27 AM
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/07/ex-spurs-teammate-has-hard-time-seeing-d.html

By Tim MacMahon

I ran into ex-Spur Bruce Bowen, a huge Cowboys fan, at training camp in the Alamodome and picked his brain a bit about the Mavs' off-season.

He really likes the deal to bring in Shawn Marion, saying MFFLs would "see something special" from the Matrix since he's playing again with a passing whiz of a point guard who can get the transition game going. Bowen thought the additions of Drew Gooden and Tim Thomas could help.

But Bowen wasn't aware that Gooden, whom he said struggled to learn the Spurs' system after a late-season arrival in San Antonio, would be logging heavy minutes at center.

"Center? Drew?! Wow," Bowen said with raised eyebrows. "That's a tall order. That'll be interesting."

While the Mavs don't envision Gooden battling elite post scorers too often, Bowen questions whether Gooden can handle the dirty-work duties of manning the middle.

"He can score on the block, but there's more to it than scoring," Bowen said. "You guys have Dirk. Dirk's going to put the ball in the hole. What else is someone going to do to better enhance the team?"

SpurCharger
08-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Sounds Like Something Mr Bowen would say..... And I totally Agree with him!

ffadicted
08-01-2009, 10:38 AM
:wakeup ....... indeed

xtremesteven33
08-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Bowen, always an honest guy....

clambake
08-01-2009, 10:46 AM
very diplomatic.

Danny.Zhu
08-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Right to the point.

But I still think Mavs shouldn't be underestimated. They just beat Spurs several months ago. Just like Lakers just won the championship. Spurs are still the underdog anyway.

Riverwalkman
08-01-2009, 10:58 AM
very diplomatic.
:nope That is called 'integrity' and 'honest'.

benefactor
08-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Mavs are the new Suns.

FromWayDowntown
08-01-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure that Bowen ever actually said what the headline suggests. He questioned whether Gooden could do things other than score, but there's a pretty big difference between wondering if a guy is one-dimensional and calling him out as a softy who can't do dirty work.

jag
08-01-2009, 11:24 AM
very diplomatic.

Not sure how he's being "diplomatic"...If you think Gooden is in any way a defensive upgrade over either Dampier or Bass, you're wrong. Marion would be a better defensive option at center than Gooden.

BlackBellamy
08-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Mavs fans: the Mavs fan in you obviously hates Bruce Bowen. But the Cowboys fan in you...

EricB
08-01-2009, 01:13 PM
I gaurantee Bowen saw the headline and was like "WTF"

ChumpDumper
08-01-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm not sure that Bowen ever actually said what the headline suggests. He questioned whether Gooden could do things other than score, but there's a pretty big difference between wondering if a guy is one-dimensional and calling him out as a softy who can't do dirty work.That isn't actually the headline of the blog -- it's Ex-Spurs teammate has hard time seeing Drew Gooden as a center.

Riverwalkman
08-01-2009, 01:25 PM
I gaurantee Bowen saw the headline and was like "WTF"
Or like "You read my mind ! ":rollin
Is the thread title kind of misleading? If so I regret.:depressed

Amarelooms
08-01-2009, 02:15 PM
lol WGAS what he thinks...he is old and worthless. He needs to sit his ass on the bench and shut his pie hole :elephant

jag
08-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Sensitive mav fan doesn't want to hear what Gooden's former teammate has to say.

lol Gortat

clambake
08-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Not sure how he's being "diplomatic"...If you think Gooden is in any way a defensive upgrade over either Dampier or Bass, you're wrong. Marion would be a better defensive option at center than Gooden.

let me help you.

diplomatic adj. tactful, sensitive, discreet, polite,careful, delicate,
thoughtful, considerate, prudent

Bob Lanier
08-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Bowen said with raised eyebrows.
How could he tell?

jag
08-01-2009, 03:22 PM
let me help you.

Obviously the word can be used in different contexts...i just wasn't sure what you were trying to imply.

It's really neither here, nor there.

sprrs
08-01-2009, 03:42 PM
let me help you.

Diplomatic like Jason Terry is diplomatic.

ploto
08-01-2009, 07:52 PM
"Center? Drew?! Wow," Bowen said with raised eyebrows. "That's a tall order. That'll be interesting.

Considering the Spurs played Matt Bonner at center...

itzsoweezee
08-01-2009, 07:54 PM
the black hole is now on the mavs? lol. i wonder if the homer spurs fans will now admit the dude is a ballhog?

eyeh8u
08-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Mavs are the new, not as good, Suns.

Fixed

bigdog
08-01-2009, 09:25 PM

Exactly what I was about to say...

baseline bum
08-01-2009, 09:38 PM
the black hole is now on the mavs? lol. i wonder if the homer spurs fans will now admit the dude is a ballhog?

Gooden was brought here to be an efficient scorer, which he was. Spurs fans shouldn't trash the guy after he leaves.

spursfaninla
08-01-2009, 09:58 PM
I don't think that Gooden was a "ballhog", although he was a black hole.

This is more a product of his lack of passing skills and understanding of the offense than of bad attitude I think.

That all said, Gooden was brought for scoring, and he was decent at that.

mystargtr34
08-01-2009, 10:01 PM

Bowen said he cant envision Gooden doing the dirty work a Center needs to do while playing next to Dirk. Im assuming he means defend other Centers, rebound and block shots.

Who do you think does this for the Spurs? Matt Bonner or Tim Duncan.

Kori Ellis
08-01-2009, 10:04 PM
I changed the title of the thread. I'm not sure why the original poster wrote it that way ... it wasn't the actual title of the blog post.