PDA

View Full Version : EN: Spurs adept at finding vets wanting a ring

Spurs Brazil
08-02-2009, 08:06 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Week_in_reviewpreview_Spurs_adept_at_finding_vets_ wanting_a_ring.html

Week in review/preview: Spurs adept at finding vets wanting a ring

Douglas Pils - Express-News The Spurs make a habit of acquiring an older veteran every year. Two decades of having either David Robinson or Tim Duncan on the roster usually means that a big man willing to deal with fewer minutes than he could get elsewhere will sign here.

Sometimes the move has paid off for the Spurs and the veteran looking for a championship. This time around, it’s 14-year veteran Theo Ratliff, a 36-year-old 6-foot-10 shot-blocking center, and 13-year pro Antonio McDyess, a soon-to-be 35-year-old 6-9 forward, looking to duplicate what these guys did and win that first ring.

Jerome Kersey

The 6-7 forward signed on Jan. 22, 1999, for his 15th season at age 37. He spent 12 in Portland, with two of those ending in NBA Finals losses. He wasn’t asked to do much. He averaged 15.5 minutes, 3.2 points and 2.0 rebounds in the regular season and 10.9 minutes, 2.6 points and 2.1 rebounds in the playoffs, which ended with the Spurs’ first NBA title.

Kevin Willis

At 40, he played 71 games for a Spurs team that won the 2003 NBA title. The 7-foot center averaged 4.2 points and 3.2 rebounds while playing 11.8 minutes a game. He averaged 2.6 points and 1.7 rebounds in 18 playoff games. He had played 17 seasons with six teams before coming to San Antonio. He played three more years.

Tony Massenburg

At 37, the 6-9 forward ended his circuitous career in 2004-05 where it began in 1990. The 13-year veteran played for 11 other NBA franchises and three more in Europe after spending 36 games with the Spurs to start his playing days. He averaged 11.5 minutes, 3.2 points and 2.7 rebounds in 61 games, but he only played nine playoff games when the Spurs won their third NBA title.

Jacque Vaughn

A veteran of four other teams, the point guard played in all 20 playoff games for the 2007 championship team. Then 32, he averaged 3.0 points and 2.0 assists, and his minutes were almost cut in half from his previous season with the Nets. However, he provided a steadier hand when subbing for Tony Parker than Nick Van Exel had for the 2005-06 team.

Still ring-less

These veterans tried to do the same thing and win that ring with the Spurs, but it didn’t happen. So grabbing the old guy doesn’t always work.

- Terry Porter, G, 36, 1999-02

- Mark Bryant, F/C, 36, 2001-02

- Nick Van Exel, G, 34, 2005-06

- Damon Stoudamire, G, 34, 2008

- Kurt Thomas, F, 35, 2007-09

J.T.
08-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Someone forgot to include Glen Robinson.

Cane
08-02-2009, 08:50 AM
As a Spurs fan who despises Mark Cuban; where the fuck is Michael Finley?

That had to have been one of the better signings Spurs have done since not only did he contribute well as a veteran/starter; he did it while being paid millions from the billionaire bastard.

Not only that but he was ringless and seeing him and the team talking about how it meant for him to get a ring was pretty cool; also showed how used to winning the Spurs were/are since they acted like they did it for him.

ohmwrecker
08-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Steve Smith?

Riverwalkman
08-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Steve Smith?

And Danny Ferry.:rolleyes

ohmwrecker
08-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Yes. Danny Ferry . . . but why are you rolling your eyes at me?

Riverwalkman
08-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Yes. Danny Ferry . . . but why are you rolling your eyes at me?

I don't know. May be a way of thinking, or just for fun.:rolleyes

BlackBellamy
08-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Steve Smith?

Moses Malone? :rolleyes

mexpurs21
08-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Could we consider Brent Barry???

cornbread
08-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Don't forget the Big Dog.

timtonymanu
08-02-2009, 01:32 PM
it's a shame we couldnt get one for Kurt Thomas. He really deserved one. Fuck Van Exel and Stoudamire though.

50Bestspurever
08-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Man I was so happy to have Jerome Kersey in 99, he was tough and always in the right place in the right time.

Dex
08-02-2009, 01:55 PM
it's a shame we couldnt get one for Kurt Thomas. He really deserved one. Fuck Van Exel and Stoudamire though.

+1

Feel kinda bad for Thomas. Sure, he didn't do anything too astounding in his time here, but he did what was asked of him and was a professional throughout. All he got out of it were two of the Spurs worst playoff runs in recent memory, and a ticket to Milwaukee.

Thanks for everything, KT. Sorry it didn't work out better.

EricB
08-02-2009, 02:17 PM
+1

Feel kinda bad for Thomas. Sure, he didn't do anything too astounding in his time here, but he did what was asked of him and was a professional throughout. All he got out of it were two of the Spurs worst playoff runs in recent memory, and a ticket to Milwaukee.

Going to the western conference finals with one injured superstar is a bad playoff run?

Gotta love fans that became fans in 1998.

Dex
08-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Going to the western conference finals with one injured superstar is a bad playoff run?

Gotta love fans that became fans in 1998.

Notice I said "in recent history". Even compared to '04 or '06, these last playoff runs have been stinkers. At least it took miraculous acts to beat us then.

Going into any playoff series with an injured superstar is a bad deal, in my opinion. I guarantee you it's not what Kurt Thomas signed up for (as if anybody could have a way of knowing these things.)

Sure, it was a long playoff run, but once it came out that Manu was injured, everybody pretty much knew it was for naught. We were lucky to get past the Hornets, then got our asses handed to us by the Lakers, despite having them on the ropes a couple times. The best part of that playoff run was Duncan's Three, but Round 1, Game 1 wins don't do much for the history books.

EricB
08-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Notice I said "in recent history". Compared to 04 or 06, these last playoff runs have been stinkers.

Going into any playoff series with an injured superstar is a bad deal, in my opinion. I guarantee you it's not what Kurt Thomas signed up for (as if anybody could have a way of knowing these things.)

Sure, it was a long playoff run, but once it came out that Manu was injured, everybody pretty much knew it was for naught. We were lucky to get passed the Hornets, then got our asses handed to us by the Lakers, despite having them on the ropes a couple times. The best part of that playoff run was Duncan's Three, but Round 1, Game 1 wins don't do much for the history books.

OH MY!!!

THE HISTORY BOOKS!!!

I mean, they should've styled it up against New Orleans in that fantastic 7 game series some more, so that the history books would've penned it a better "postseason run"

After 1996 I would've been ecstatic had they gotten back to the western conference finals let alone 4 rings.

Sigh.

Dex
08-02-2009, 02:35 PM
OH MY!!!

THE HISTORY BOOKS!!!

I mean, they should've styled it up against New Orleans in that fantastic 7 game series some more, so that the history books would've penned it a better "postseason run"

After 1996 I would've been ecstatic had they gotten back to the western conference finals let alone 4 rings.

Sigh.

:rolleyes You can play on my words all you want, but you know what I mean. This team, as constructed, isn't in it for morale victories. This team is in it for championships. I enjoyed the pink, orange, and teal days as well, but those are long gone.

The point is, Kurt Thomas never got a fair swing at a ring here, because both playoff runs were hampered by Ginobili injuries.

I give the 2007-2008 squad all the credit in the world. With odds stacked against them, they made an incredible run until they ran into a superior Lakers team. Would a healthy Ginobili have narrowed that gap? Probably, but we'll never know.

Leetonidas
08-02-2009, 02:55 PM
OH MY!!!

THE HISTORY BOOKS!!!

Sigh.

Jesus Christ, shut the fuck up you asshole. Way to take the dude's post WAAAY out of context. :rolleyes

EricB
08-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Jesus Christ, shut the fuck up you asshole. Way to take the dude's post WAAAY out of context. :rolleyes

No thanks forum police.

EricB
08-02-2009, 03:00 PM
:rolleyes You can play on my words all you want, but you know what I mean. This team, as constructed, isn't in it for morale victories. This team is in it for championships. I enjoyed the pink, orange, and teal days as well, but those are long gone.

The point is, Kurt Thomas never got a fair swing at a ring here, because both playoff runs were hampered by Ginobili injuries.

I give the 2007-2008 squad all the credit in the world. With odds stacked against them, they made an incredible run until they ran into a superior Lakers team. Would a healthy Ginobili have narrowed that gap? Probably, but we'll never know.

I never said that he didn't get a fair swing.

Saying that the 07 08 playoff run was one of the worst is incorrect.

angelbelow
08-02-2009, 03:01 PM
A few big names left off the list, but OVERALL not bad.

Tully365
08-02-2009, 03:47 PM
I was very impressed by Glenn Robinson when he played limited minutes for the Spurs, and I think it is that type of veteran maturity that makes Pop interested in these guys. Robinson had been known most of his career as a big time scorer who wasn't especially intense on the defensive side of the court, but when he joined the Spurs he seemed to have a defensive-minded awakening and did a very admirable job with his limited playing time.

Does anyone know what Kevin Willis is doing in his retirement? That's one guy that should definitely have his own fitness book or video. I'd love to see what his typical work out used to consist of.

Dex
08-02-2009, 03:49 PM
I was very impressed by Glenn Robinson when he played limited minutes for the Spurs, and I think it is that type of veteran maturity that makes Pop interested in these guys. Robinson had been known most of his career as a big time scorer who wasn't especially intense on the defensive side of the court, but when he joined the Spurs he seemed to have a defensive-minded awakening and did a very admirable job with his limited playing time.

Does anyone know what Kevin Willis is doing in his retirement? That's one guy that should definitely have his own fitness book or video. I'd love to see what his typical work out used to consist of.

In 2007, Willis made three appearances on the Spike TV reality show, Pros vs Joes.

Willis ended his playing career after the 2007 season, returning to his clothing business, Willis & Walker.[6] The Atlanta-based company, which specializes in custom wear for big and tall men, was founded in 1988 by Willis and former Michigan State teammate Ralph Walker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Willis

Tully365
08-02-2009, 03:53 PM
In 2007, Willis made three appearances on the Spike TV reality show, Pros vs Joes.

Willis ended his playing career after the 2007 season, returning to his clothing business, Willis & Walker.[6] The Atlanta-based company, which specializes in custom wear for big and tall men, was founded in 1988 by Willis and former Michigan State teammate Ralph Walker.

That's cool, thanks! I'll look and see if I can find those episodes. Did you see them? Did Willis still look like he was in ridiculously great shape?

Dex
08-02-2009, 03:56 PM
That's cool, thanks! I'll look and see if I can find those episodes. Did you see them? Did Willis still look like he was in ridiculously great shape?

Never saw them. I bet they're floating around somewhere on them there internets.

spurs1990
08-02-2009, 06:13 PM
I still can't believe Dominque Wilkins damn near ended his career in a Spurs jersey.

He averaged 18.2 for us in 1997.

anakha
08-02-2009, 08:42 PM
No thanks forum police.

Says the poster who frequently tells others to walk in traffic. :lol

superbigtime
08-03-2009, 09:54 AM
+1

True enough, but he also got millions of dollars. :greedy