PDA

View Full Version : Mason ends retirement

DBryant88
08-02-2009, 05:55 PM
WESTMINSTER, Md. (AP) - Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Derrick Mason emerged from retirement Saturday, less than three weeks after abruptly announcing the end to his 12-year career.

Mason called team owner Steve Bisciotti on Saturday morning, expressing his desire to return. The 35-year-old Mason showed up at training camp after the morning practice session and met with general manager Ozzie Newsome.

The Ravens then announced that Mason would be in uniform for Sunday's practice.

"It was a tough decision, but I think it was a good decision for me to come back," Mason said in a statement. "I needed to evaluate my life, football and my career.

"I still have an intense fire inside me, and I want to play. ... I felt like I had left something undone, and I wanted to finish it. I believe this is a good example for my son and my daughter on how to be thoughtful and also follow through."

On July 13, Mason said, "After 12 years, I have seen it all and done it all. Right now, I am content with the decision I am making. All good things come to an end, and I am ready to see what else life has to offer."

But Mason never submitted his retirement papers to the NFL, and within days it became clear that he was waffling over his decision to quit.

Mason and coach John Harbaugh met last week, and Harbaugh emerged from the session "optimistic" that Mason would return.

Mason played a key role in helping Baltimore reach the AFC championship game last season. He started all 16 games and led the Ravens in receptions (80) and yards receiving (1,037). He then added 12 catches for 190 yards and a touchdown in three playoff games.

After playing eight seasons with the Tennessee Oilers/Titans, Mason joined the Ravens as a free agent in March 2005. Last season the two-time Pro Bowler became the 31st player in NFL history to reach 10,000 career yards receiving.

Spursfan092120
08-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Yeah..saw this yesterday. Tried to pick him up as a last minute pickup in my fantasy league, but he was already taken. Guess my opponents are really on the ball.

DBryant88
08-02-2009, 05:59 PM
he was already picked up in my league as well

damn...

jack sommerset
08-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Yeah..saw this yesterday. Tried to pick him up as a last minute pickup in my fantasy league, but he was already taken. Guess my opponents are really on the ball.

Why on earth are you in a league this far from the opening of the season?

Spursfan092120
08-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Why on earth are you in a league this far from the opening of the season?
Got excited...I started a new one though, and it will draft later...keeper league.

jack sommerset
08-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Spursfan.......Did you say you have never been to a Cowboy game?

Spursfan092120
08-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Spursfan.......Did you say you have never been to a Cowboy game?
Unfortunately no..either I couldn't afford to go, or couldn't get to Dallas to go...when I was younger, my father got ALS, and we didn't get to do a lot of things as a father and son, like games. But I'm hoping I'll be able to go this year...have a friend who has season tickets. Gonna have to be a Monday night game, though..I only work 3 days a week, but I can't take off any of those days, and they're Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

jack sommerset
08-02-2009, 07:16 PM
All right.... I have a suggestions for you. As you know the stadium is huge and the economy is tanking. Keep ur eyes on EBAY. About 4-5 days before the Monday game go on EBAY. Hopefully u are familiar with it so u don't get screwed or make any mistakes. You will get a great deal on tickets. Try to get tickets along the sideline. Even if you have nose bleed seats they have that big ass screen. You can't say you get a better view from ur living room anymore. Being a Monday night if you don't have a place to stay go to priceline.com. AWESOME site. I go to Arlington 4-5 times a year (i have a 6 year old that loves Rangers, Huricane Harbor and Six Flags) and I can narrow my hotels down to 3 typing in the right info. Really good hotels. Usually 100 -150 a night I get for 55 dollars...60 max. You can spend less. Those are the best Arlington have. Plus if you use there hotel most have the trolleys pick u up and drop u off. FREE. No parking fee's (like 60 bucks for games!!!, that is the hotel price for a room through priceline) and no worry about drinking (if you like to drink) or traffic. I went to the Jonas Brothers concert (6 year old girl) and that stadium is BAD ASS. Be sure to get sideline seats. You can't walk around the stadium if you have endzone. They block you from doing this plus the BIG screen is on the sidelines.

Spursfan092120
08-02-2009, 07:20 PM
All right.... I have a suggestions for you. As you know the stadium is huge and the economy is tanking. Keep ur eyes on EBAY. About 4-5 days before the Monday game go on EBAY. Hopefully u are familiar with it so u don't get screwed or make any mistakes. You will get a great deal on tickets. Try to get tickets along the sideline. Even if you have nose bleed seats they have that big ass screen. You can't say you get a better view from ur living room anymore. Being a Monday night if you don't have a place to stay go to priceline.com. AWESOME site. I go to Arlington 4-5 times a year (i have a 6 year old that loves Rangers, Huricane Harbor and Six Flags) and I can narrow my hotels down to 3 typing in the right info. Really good hotels. Usually 100 -150 a night I get for 55 dollars...60 max. You can spend less. Those are the best Arlington have. Plus if you use there hotel most have the trolleys pick u up and drop u off. FREE. No parking fee's (like 60 bucks for games!!!, that is the hotel price for a room through priceline) and no worry about drinking (if you like to drink) or traffic. I went to the Jonas Brothers concert (6 year old girl) and that stadium is BAD ASS. Be sure to get sideline seats. You can't walk around the stadium if you have endzone. They block you from doing this plus the BIG screen is on the sidelines.
Wow..thanks for the info man..I really appreciate it...I'll definitely do that.

jack sommerset
08-02-2009, 08:09 PM
No problem. If you want to save money sometimes you have to wait until last minute. If you have any questions (I live in Big D) feel free to ask.

Spursfan092120
08-02-2009, 10:44 PM
No problem. If you want to save money sometimes you have to wait until last minute. If you have any questions (I live in Big D) feel free to ask.
Will do man...it's about a 5 hour drive for me, so it's hard..but I would do anything to go to a game..I'm a lifelong fan...it's like punishment that I haven't been to one...lol

manufan10
08-04-2009, 12:34 PM
will do man...it's about a 5 hour drive for me, so it's hard..but i would do anything to go to a game..i'm a lifelong fan...it's like punishment that i haven't been to one...lol

+1