PDA

View Full Version : Does Parker Retire A Spur?

PeterBurns
08-02-2009, 06:07 PM
EricB and I got into a little friendly discussion today talking about if Tony Parker would retire with the Spurs.

Wanted to get your opinion peeps.

Bruno
08-02-2009, 06:09 PM
No but he won't leave. He will be traded.

ginobilized
08-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Yep.
But not for a good long while.

Kori Ellis
Yes, most likely. Eva and Tony really like it here. Her TV career probably won't last much longer because she wants to have babies. So he'll probably stay in SA unless the Spurs make absolutely no attempt to build a good team.

spurs1990
He's, what, 27 years old?

Why would you debate about something thats potentially 10 years down the road?

sonic21
08-02-2009, 06:12 PM
no, he'll play his final year in France

Dex
08-02-2009, 06:13 PM
I think (hope) that once Tim/Manu/Pop leave, responsibility will shift into Tony's hands and the organization will be able to put a good enough team around him to convince him to stay. Sure, he won't have Timmy in the middle anymore, but if we can coerce Splitter into coming over or somehow manage another talented bigman, then I don't see Tony having a lot of incentive to leave unless he just gets stars in his eyes.

This question also comes down to how Parker, a player who's game is predicated upon speed right now, will be able to produce in his later years. If Parker's game drops off, the Spurs could move him before he has the chance to retire.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-02-2009, 06:15 PM
No, but that's not a knock on Tony. His career is going to outlive the Spurs "great years" and IMO he is a great player, just not a franchise player. Unless the Spurs can get a franchise player to make this team great after Tim retires, Parker is out of here IMO.

Stringer_Bell
08-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I think as long as he's in the NBA, Tony will be a Spur. He and Eva bring a lot to the community, and I doubt they have any desire to leave it behind. That doesn't mean the Spurs might not move him at some point, but I don't think he'd leave if we didn't want him to leave.

However, I think it's interesting to think about him going back to France for his final year of professional play. That'd be pretty cool for his country to see such a decorated guy playing in front of his countrymen, and he could play for the NT with no restrictions.

Tully365
08-02-2009, 06:31 PM
I hope so... but if he logged on to spurstalk and read some of the things that many fans have said about him in recent days, he might think differently.

ducks
08-02-2009, 06:40 PM
spurs need 2 other great players plus tp

hopefully spurs can draft or get another great player before duncan retires
then they need a 3

Spurs_210
08-02-2009, 07:18 PM
I can see TP9 staying with Spurs. Once Duncan retires Spurs will be looking for another big to match TP9's game and keep the team going. Will they be able to build a great team like we've had with Duncan is the question. Greats like him don't just come around often.

DPG21920
08-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Depends on how things go when Duncan retires. If the young talent develops and they can be a playoff team, then yes. If the team really tanks afterward and cannot sign a big FA with Duncan's money that is off the books, then I can see a sign and trade for young talent/picks or TP leaving.

jimo2305
08-02-2009, 07:27 PM
lol on my nba2k9 game.. he tested the free agency market but we were able to buy him over again

exstatic
08-02-2009, 07:34 PM
I'd like to see it, but it's not guaranteed. Remember, our first HOF player, Iceman Gervin, didn't retire as a Spur. He was unceremionously dumped on the Bulls because of a drug problem.

OTOH, Tony will probably always be thought of as a Spur. His current contract will run until he turns 30. When you play on one team from ages 19-30, and have probably a usable shelf life of 3-5 years after that, you'll likely be identified with your longest tenured team. That's usually the case. Bowen played two seasons in Boston, half a season in Philly, and a season and a half in Miami before his eight year run in SA, but he'll always be known as a Spur because the majority of his career was spent in silver and black.

Brazil
08-02-2009, 07:35 PM
I think he will play one or two years in France.

Basically an option on this poll is missing will he stay after Tim/Manu/Pop leaves? My answer is probably yes

exstatic
08-02-2009, 07:37 PM
spurs need 2 other great players plus tp

hopefully spurs can draft or get another great player before duncan retires
then they need a 3

That's never going to happen. Duncan teams will always draft between 25 and 30, and you don't find franchise players there.

DPG21920
08-02-2009, 07:41 PM
I think the more likely event is the Spurs land a FA with Tim's money. Even if TP goes to France, I think the question was more aimed at "will TP finish his NBA career with the Spurs".

angelbelow
08-02-2009, 08:13 PM
I get the feeling that he will want to retire a Spur. The only way he might not is if the FO doesn't want him.

urunobili
08-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Spur forever...

easjer
08-02-2009, 08:57 PM
I don't think he leaves for glitz, glamour and lights. I think he stays as long as the organization stays committed to winning. I think half the moves made have been made with the eye toward shifting away from Tim and more to Tony. If the Spurs become less competitive or go through major coaching issues post-Timmy, then I think he leaves and I don't think many fans will really begrudge him in that case.

But I think his desire is to stay with the Spurs.

spursfan1000
08-02-2009, 08:58 PM
I say yes, hes already had 3 championships with us and I think he is saticfied, its very sadening of thinking how the Spurs will be when we dont have Duncan,Manu or POP, and possible Parker.

Riverwalkman
08-02-2009, 09:15 PM
I think it really depends. If after Duncan leaves, Spurs is still the team to beat, He stays. Otherwise he leaves. Personally I hope he stays, for that is to say Spurs is still competitive.

raspsa
08-02-2009, 11:46 PM
I don't know if he will be willing to be part of a rebuilding process once Timmy and Manu retire.. depends on the talent the Spurs will realistically be able to put together at the time of his contract renewal. But if he's 30 by tyhen, will he still be at his peak or will he be on the downside of his carreer? Smaller players shine bright for a few years then tend to burn out faster than bigger players IMO.

eyeh8u
08-03-2009, 12:02 AM
he is going to la in a trade for adam morrison

mingus
08-03-2009, 02:01 AM
i've always had a feeling he'll play for the Knicks one day.

jb4g
08-03-2009, 12:52 PM
I see him being traded 3-4 years from now while he still has value, assuming G Hill is ready to take over by then. But once TD and Manu are gone, who knows whats gonna happen.

kace
08-03-2009, 01:08 PM
His current contract will run until he turns 30. .

29. a lot of time left to another contract then and there's still a trade possibiliy.

IMO, as long as Pop is here, TP will be there. If Pop retires with Tim, everything is possible then for TP depending on the new coach, staff and team.

depends also of how much money tony will be asking for maybe his last big contract and his current bball level then.

SonOfAGun
08-03-2009, 01:56 PM
The likelihood appears improbable.

portnoy1
08-03-2009, 03:31 PM
When Duncan and Ginobili are gone I want nothing to do with Parker still being on the spurs.

Bambililos
08-03-2009, 03:32 PM
When Duncan and Ginobili are gone I want nothing to do with Parker still being on the spurs.

No kidding.

portnoy1
08-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Its not that Parker is a bad player. Its just that you can't build your team around him. He is good if he has other players around him that are good as well, that way he doesn't have to worry about trying set everybody up and all that stuff ( i.e. Dallas mavs beat spurs 4-1 convincingly ). You have Tim to get points downlow and draw the occasional double team. You have Manu to create shots for himself/others and take control in the fourth quarter of Games. Parker as good as he is, is still to one-dimensional. To be a franchise player you must be able to score/defend/pass and make other guys better.

spursfan09
08-03-2009, 04:17 PM

Well you speak for yourself.

Parker is not a franchise player like Duncan (who is?), but he is a great piece to build around. Parker can hopefully attract other free agents to come play in SA if anything.

portnoy1
08-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Well you speak for yourself.

Parker is not a franchise player like Duncan (who is?), but he is a great piece to build around. Parker can hopefully attract other free agents to come play in SA if anything.Parker is a nice strong addition, to a team thats halfway decent. Its very rare that you get a point guard to build around. Cp3 / Magic / Jason Kidd (back in the day) / Steve Nash. Thats about it, though. All the guys mentioned above make there teammates significantly better. Who was west or chandler before Cp3. Jefferson, Martin before Kidd. Stoudamire Before Nash. A.c. Green before Magic. Who was Manu Ginobili Before Parker, A rookie who developed in time because of already being talented, not cause of Parker.

Muser
08-03-2009, 04:24 PM
IMO when Timmy/Manu hang it up the squad will be blown up, go into sale mode for picks and cap space.

Of course i'm not thinking that far ahead, enjoy being contenders whilst I can.

timaios
08-03-2009, 06:02 PM

portnoy1 : I want nothing to do with Parker still being on the spurs.

fify :toast

Brazil
08-03-2009, 06:06 PM
portnoy1: we got your point already. You are not going to post it over and over and over and over ?

DPG21920
08-03-2009, 06:26 PM
What is tricky is that TP's contract will expire, but Duncan will still have 1 year left on his. If Tim is healthy and the team is doing well, I can see TP signing an extension. If Tim is done or the team is struggling, I can see him testing FA.

m33p0
08-03-2009, 10:41 PM
polls like these are important because these decide the fate of the universe.

ducks
08-03-2009, 11:16 PM
tp is better then nash
and teams were built around nash

gameFACE
08-03-2009, 11:31 PM
I can easily see a scenario where this becomes his team for a few years post Tim, Manu & Pop. It will be a very different kind of team.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-04-2009, 02:59 AM
I hope so, but I've got no idea what he will do in 2011 knowing that Tim, Pop and Manu will probably be gone the following year.

Calavera
08-04-2009, 03:55 AM
I`ve read few articles about his relationship with Pop, so it depends on what Pop do, not Tim or Manu. If Popovich stays with the team after Duncan, Parker will stay too. Who knows what we will be able to get as a replacement for Tim, maybe Splitter will rise like Nowitzki, who wasn`t a franchise player in his first two years in nba. The thing is - now we have a dynasty player with Duncan, Manu and Parker are superstars, that`s for sure. So after our dynasty player leaves, Manu will leave soon too, it`s up to the FO to get replacement for them. I don`t know, maybe we`ll witness another unprecedented decision in nba by the Spurs - building a team with multiple international stars leading the squad. Parker, Splitter, Mahinmi. I just hope it won`t end with Duncan retairing...

P.S. now that i`m thinking, there is one possible scenario, which I run in nba2k9 - after Duncan and Manu retirement, george hill gets the point gard starter and Parker is traded for big center, Blair gets Duncan minutes if he blossomes in something incredible. If it happens we have good athletic point, rebounding genius at PF, and eventually superstar at C. :) Two spots to fill SG and SF, I don`t know how long Jefferson will stay with the spurs, but if he grows into something like Bowen we can keep him forever (with him adapting his new role - defensive stopper rather than highflyer). I`m sure that with the cap space after Duncan retirement we`ll have enough money to fill the SG.

Limguogolo
08-04-2009, 04:49 AM
I think he won't sign another contract with the spurs. He doesn't need money... someone is already rich in his family. So he could opt for a smaller contract in a better team. That team could be the Spurs if the rebuilding was extremely good; or it could be... LA, where someone is very desperate.

He probably doesn't know himself yet.

CGD
08-04-2009, 10:10 AM
No but he won't leave. He will be traded.

Sadly, I agree.

TDMVPDPOY
08-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Parker can hopefully attract other free agents to come play in SA if anything.

This post in itself fails epic

for the last 12yrs in duncans career, the spurs couldnt even land a top FA to come here and play, even with the lucrative contracts we offered....now you think parker is going to get us good players to come here?

spursfan09
08-04-2009, 11:31 AM
This post in itself fails epic

for the last 12yrs in duncans career, the spurs couldnt even land a top FA to come here and play, even with the lucrative contracts we offered....now you think parker is going to get us good players to come here?

What part of the word hopefully do you not understand?

Anyways its not as "fail" as you think.
With Manu and TD off the payroll, thats even more money to attract someone. TP can be another form of attraction. Never said we were going to fucking get Lebron James though.

Jwall
08-04-2009, 12:04 PM
http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Images/Graphics/Feature/UN_Parker071609_200.jpg

NFGIII
08-04-2009, 12:19 PM
I get the feeling that he will want to retire a Spur. The only way he might not is if the FO doesn't want him.

Agreed. AS Kori stated he and Eva like it here. So I think he will want to stay if he and the FO can work together to make it happen.

I don't think he leaves for glitz, glamour and lights. I think he stays as long as the organization stays committed to winning. I think half the moves made have been made with the eye toward shifting away from Tim and more to Tony. If the Spurs become less competitive or go through major coaching issues post-Timmy, then I think he leaves and I don't think many fans will really begrudge him in that case.

But I think his desire is to stay with the Spurs.

Ditto. But it is too early to predict whether he stays or goes. Too many things can/will happen in the coming years, especially when Manu and Timmy retire.

I see him being traded 3-4 years from now while he still has value, assuming G Hill is ready to take over by then. But once TD and Manu are gone, who knows whats gonna happen.

I voted for him to leave based on the above assumption. I think once TD and Manu leave then he is the player with the highest trade value on the team. I'm sure the Spurs, if they are in rebuild mode at that point, would most likely move him for picks/cap space and start over.

portnoy1
08-04-2009, 01:35 PM
portnoy1: we got your point already. You are not going to post it over and over and over and over ?you mean the point that Parker is not a franchise player? cause the way some of yall talk about him scares me. He is a big piece of our puzzle but not the main piece. With the Injuries he has developed into our go to guy however, which as seen has not been effective in the playoffs ( Mavs 4-1 ). Duncan will Retire then 1-2 years with Ginobili playing a smaller role. Then what? I think Parker will test free agency regardless of how the team is doing at the end of his contract. Why not, He has 3 rings. There is no reason to stay with the team anymore. And if the spurs try to build around him then that will change the whole offensive scheme. And all the 3pt shots we seen this past year is what we'll se if Parker stays a spurs, which I dont think he will.

vander
08-04-2009, 02:56 PM
we'll reload around Parker, it should be a pretty painless transition because we can replace one major piece per year

10/11 Manu will probably come back cheap, and we'll replace Mason/Bonner/Finley's salaries with a long term solution at the 2

11/12 RJ gone, go out and get long term solution at the 3, Mcdyess's unguaranteed contract part of trade for the new 3, Splitter comes over as his partial replacement, or maybe he already came over

12/13 Mahimni/Blair/Splitter now getting majority of minutes at the 4/5, TD done, must find new long term solution at PF/C, this should be the only "rebuilding year" as it might take a year or two to find another big man, or to work in/develop a new/young guy

and then we're back on top in 13/14 thinking about how old TP is and how will we be able to replace him...

:sleep

Macca76
08-04-2009, 04:03 PM
you mean the point that Parker is not a franchise player? cause the way some of yall talk about him scares me. He is a big piece of our puzzle but not the main piece. With the Injuries he has developed into our go to guy however, which as seen has not been effective in the playoffs ( Mavs 4-1 ). Duncan will Retire then 1-2 years with Ginobili playing a smaller role. Then what? I think Parker will test free agency regardless of how the team is doing at the end of his contract. Why not, He has 3 rings. There is no reason to stay with the team anymore. And if the spurs try to build around him then that will change the whole offensive scheme. And all the 3pt shots we seen this past year is what we'll se if Parker stays a spurs, which I dont think he will.
Basically during the PO we had two players, TP and Duncan, Duncan playing on one leg. You're forgetting a big piece of the puzzle in your version. Without TP it would have been one of the biggest spanking in PO history. We'll see this year, with a better team if TP is still the go-to-guy. I won't be surprised if he is.