PDA

View Full Version : Noel Felix update?

orhe
04-08-2005, 10:19 AM
i happened to cross upon a local basketball game (Philippines Basketball Association) and saw that one player was a Noel Felix?

anyone know if this is the Noel Felix?

it's as if he has gained more mass (judging from previous pictures)

exstatic
04-08-2005, 10:23 AM
I think Kori said that he was in the P.I. in a league now, so that's probably the same one.

Kori Ellis
04-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Was the game on today? He plays for Talk 'N Text and they played today. He just got to the Philippines a few weeks ago -- today was his 3rd game. He finished the CBA season in Yakima. He's having a little trouble adjusting to how they call fouls there, but he had 19 and 11 in his second game.

Can you tell me how he did today?

Kori Ellis
04-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Never mind, he emailed me.

He had 32 pts,13 rb, 2 blk, 2 st, 2 as, and only one turnover but they lost by 3. :(

T Park
04-08-2005, 10:55 PM
the phillipines.

Damn.

Noel is a desperate dude. Too bad no NBDL teams want him.

They must be paying seriously good jack over there.

exstatic
04-08-2005, 10:57 PM
I think Kori told me that the money was pretty good. There are only six NBDL teams. Maybe there are no openings. You gotta take the work you can get when you're trying to make the big time. Stephen Jackson played all over the place.

Kori Ellis
04-08-2005, 11:01 PM
the phillipines.

Damn.

Noel is a desperate dude. Too bad no NBDL teams want him.

He's not desperate at all -- he just finished the CBA season where he averaged 20 and 8 over the last month of the season and made the All-Defense team. He just went to the Philippines to keep in basketball shape and make some money until NBA summer league starts -- six or seven NBA teams are talking to his agent about him playing for their summer squads.

BTW, the NBDL season ends tomorrow, so that's why he went overseas when the CBA season finished rather than joining an NBDL team that had 2 weeks left to go in their season (plus it's about 10 x the money).

Das Texan
04-08-2005, 11:05 PM
hey kori....

are we still interested in him?

I would hope so, he seems to have that potential to really fit into our system.

Kori Ellis
04-08-2005, 11:11 PM
hey kori....

are we still interested in him?

I would hope so, he seems to have that potential to really fit into our system.

I think the Spurs, along with six or seven other teams, have kept good tabs on him this season.

The thing about Noel is that he was always a good defender and team player, but he was never the go-to guy offensively. In college, he played behind Melvin Ely. So even though he's 23, he's just now learning how to be an aggressive, go-to player. He sometimes has a tendency to think that if he tries to dominate the ball, that's selfish. So this year, I've been trying to mentor him into dominating when he can, while still having a team-first attitude. He had big games in the CBA in the last month of their season where he had 37, 27, 29, 28, etc.

This was only his third game in the Philippines, so we talked on the phone extensively and on email this week about him getting more aggressive in the paint. His defense and athleticism are already excellent, so I'm trying to get him to learn how to be a big offensive weapon. It paid dividends with his latest performance, so we'll see.

orhe
04-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Was the game on today? He plays for Talk 'N Text and they played today. He just got to the Philippines a few weeks ago -- today was his 3rd game. He finished the CBA season in Yakima. He's having a little trouble adjusting to how they call fouls there, but he had 19 and 11 in his second game.

Can you tell me how he did today?

yeah the game was on
i guess by his stats he played a pretty good game
but boy was he taking bad shots.
their team was down by three or four and he took two early threes in one possession (which wasn't his forte)

Kori Ellis
04-09-2005, 12:09 AM
their team was down by three or four and he took two early threes in one possession (which wasn't his forte)

Yeah he told me that too. But I think he shot well overall. He says also that he's having to make big adjustments so not to foul there. He said it seems like the refs don't want to even see your hands while you are playing D. :lol

orhe
04-09-2005, 12:10 AM
ill keep you posted on his games
the league still offers pretty good competition for him
some local guys can jack of 40+ points game any night though the overall athleticism ain't up there with most international leagues

Kori Ellis
04-09-2005, 12:11 AM
ill keep you posted on his games

Thanks. I talk to him on email almost everyday, but it's good to talk to someone who gets to watch him. He told me that there's quite a few good guys who can score over there.

orhe
04-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Yeah he told me that too. But I think he shot well overall. He says that he's having to make big adjustments so not to foul there. He said it seems like the refs don't want to even see your hands while you are playing D. :lol

well the league is trying to make the games more high scoring more entertaining for the fans (fan base has declined drastically since the glory days)

Kori Ellis
04-09-2005, 12:15 AM
Thanks for all the info and updates; I appreciate it. I don't think his team plays again until Friday.

picnroll
04-09-2005, 12:15 AM
Kori what part of Felix's game did the NBA coaches tell him he needed the most work on?

Kori Ellis
04-09-2005, 12:23 AM
picnroll, he was still pretty raw this summer. Most think he has the talent; he just needed to play as much as he could to hone his skills. From the time he left summer league, he played in a some big man camps (one where he was coached by Bob Hill :) ), played a little in Europe, played the CBA season, and now went to the Philippines. Most guys who played in the CBA are just laying around right now waiting for summer league. But he wanted to get in more games, so he had offers in Puerto Rico and Philippines for a couple months, and went to Philippines.

This season he's guarded everything from centers to shooting guards, so I think his defense is solid.

Probably most told him to focus on sharpening his defense without fouling and to learn how to score around the basket by taking advantage of defenders by using his athleticism. He is a really good free-throw shooter. He has good range (not 3-pt range). He's got tremendous athleticism and is a great dunker. He is a big team-first player, which sometimes isn't to his advantage -- he needs to not get passive when there's times he can dominate the paint.

picnroll
04-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Seemed like from seeing him in summer league he'd be a little small for a PF and would have to dominate in the paint against SF. No? Does he have any handles?

timvp
04-09-2005, 12:34 AM
He's said to be a true 6-foot-9 player at 240 pounds. From the time I saw him, he needed some muscle to make it in the league. His size was decent -- about the size of a Stromile Swift. I don't think he could make it as a SF. He can guard them fine but his outside shooting and ballhandling aren't there.

But for a PF, he's an above average shooter, ballhandler, shot blocker and jumper. He just needs to polish his game to where he's more than just an athlete. If he dedicates himself and can overcome his bouts with timidness, he'll make it in the NBA.

picnroll
04-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Is he athletic enough to guard the Lewis, Kirilenko, Odom types?

timvp
04-09-2005, 12:43 AM
Yeah, I would say so. He's a very good all around athlete and has always been able to guard swing players.

Kori Ellis
04-09-2005, 12:48 AM
Seemed like from seeing him in summer league he'd be a little small for a PF and would have to dominate in the paint against SF. No? Does he have any handles?

I can't be unbiased when assessing his skills because we are very good friends. But timvp's evaluation of him is good. I think he's gained some muscle since we saw him in the summer. I'm trying to get a copy of his 37 point game that he had in the CBA so that I can see for myself.

He's a very, very good athlete. He practices more than anyone I know. And he is a genuinely good guy with a strong faith and will. I will say that I firmly believe he will at least make it on to an NBA preseason roster next season.

SequSpur
04-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Sounds like he is doing well and has a solid game.

Please tell him not to come here and play for Pop. He will suddenly become one dimensional, won't be able to make free throws and will have to bow to Tim Duncan. And when Duncan can't play, he is suddenly playing for the worst team in the history of the NBA. Oh and not to mention the fact that Pop is one of those parents that must have their son on the court at all times even though they suck. (Rasho)

wildbill2u
04-09-2005, 10:26 AM
He's said to be a true 6-foot-9 player at 240 pounds. From the time I saw him, he needed some muscle to make it in the league. His size was decent -- about the size of a Stromile Swift. I don't think he could make it as a SF. He can guard them fine but his outside shooting and ballhandling aren't there.

But for a PF, he's an above average shooter, ballhandler, shot blocker and jumper. He just needs to polish his game to where he's more than just an athlete. If he dedicates himself and can overcome his bouts with timidness, he'll make it in the NBA.

I thought we were looking at him as a long SF where we have a need for someone to backup Bowen. If he can't play there, then wouldn't we have to compare him to Scola and what each would bring to the team. Isn't Scola better at this point in their careers?

Kori Ellis
04-13-2005, 01:25 AM
I thought we were looking at him as a long SF where we have a need for someone to backup Bowen. If he can't play there, then wouldn't we have to compare him to Scola and what each would bring to the team. Isn't Scola better at this point in their careers?

He can definitely defend the 3. But he doesn't have an offensive game of a 3 -- he's a 4. Noel is definitely a project player; he's not close to NBA ready like Scola is.

He was released today from the Philippines team. I guess 30 point games aren't good enough there. :) He only played 3 games.

Das Texan
04-13-2005, 01:27 AM
He was released today from the Philippines team. I guess 30 point games aren't good enough there. :) He only played 3 games.

He should have scored 40.

:spin

milkyway21
04-13-2005, 03:24 AM
Thanks. I talk to him on email almost everyday, but it's good to talk to someone who gets to watch him. He told me that there's quite a few good guys who can score over there....Noel is doing okay here in the Phils. actually he is one of the fans' favorites maybe bec. Talk & Text Phonepals is one of the most popular teams in the country...i just wish he plays for my favorite team -San Miguel Beer, the winningest team here.

Anyway, here's the latest about Felix. just a little bit disappointed he lost:cry

FedEx finally beats Talk N Text after 20 months

Saturday, 09 April 2005

FedEx edged Talk N Text 111-108, beating the Phone Pals for the first time in their last seven meetings and for the first time ever in an import-laced tournament.

Import Anthony Miller played his best game in the PBA to the tune of 31 points, 18 rebounds and four assists while rookie Wesley Gonzales matched his career-high with 21 markers to lead the Express who improved to a 3-3 record, half a game ahead of the Tigers, who are now at 3-4.

On the other hand PhonePals import Felix had the game high score of 32 pts.

Talk N Text lost back-to-back games for the first time in the conference and fell to the same record as its tormentors.

Box Score

FedEx 111 – Miller 31, Ritualo 27, Gonzales 21, De Ocampo 16, Pingris 6, Arboleda 4, Ferriols 3, Billones 2, David 1.

Talk N Text 108 – Felix 32, Alapag 16, Telan 16, Carey 10, Miller 9, Pablo 8, De Ocampo 6, Gelig 4, Ravena 3, Fran 2, Camaso 2, Belano 0.

Quarterscores: 25-26; 52-50; 83-82; 111-108.

:smokin

Spurs košarka kultura
04-13-2005, 03:42 AM
San Miguel Beer, PhonePals

You mean there were names like this out there and Charlotte picked the Bobcats?

jalbre6
04-13-2005, 03:46 AM
Thanks. I talk to him on email almost everyday, but it's good to talk to someone who gets to watch him. He told me that there's quite a few good guys who can score over there.

I'm not kissing ass here, but Kori doing stuff like this is a big reason why I love this site. Thanks.

milkyway21
04-13-2005, 08:01 PM
You mean there were names like this out there and Charlotte picked the Bobcats?yeah!..teams are sponsored by local products or brand names such as SMB Beermen(San Miguel Beer,a beer brand), Coca-cola Tigers(softdrink), Talk & Text Phonepals(cellphone provider), Shell Turbochargers, and so on...not by state or province.

Phils has the oldest national basketball association in Asia, the PBA.

ChumpDumper
04-13-2005, 08:05 PM
I wonder if the Puerto Rico offer is still open. Then again, I'm sure he could latch on to a USBL team if it came down to it.

Kori Ellis
04-13-2005, 08:06 PM
I wonder if the Puerto Rico offer is still open. Then again, I'm sure he could latch on to a USBL team if it came down to it.

He has workouts with NBA teams already scheduled for May. So he's probably going to just workout for the next few weeks and prepare for that.

ChumpDumper
04-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Good times.

Spurs košarka kultura
04-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Boy, if Charlotte were the Beermen, they'd be my second favorite team :lol

milkyway21
04-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Boy, if Charlotte were the Beermen, they'd be my second favorite team :lol..actually the players of this team studied in the U.S. in high schools & colleges, made some big games and returned to the country to play as Fil-Ams(must be Filipino citizens).

Three conferences in a yr. 2 conferences composed of Fil-ams or All-Filipino players w/ 1 import.

Ansu Sesay(NBDL?)ex-Sonics & Art Long-ex Raptor/76er were sometime favorites here.

By the way Noel's next game will be vs. Purefoods Hotdogs on Friday@4pm;around Fri 3am in S.A.

Kori Ellis
04-14-2005, 12:38 AM
Milkyway, obviously you didn't read my earlier post in this thread. Noel isn't on this team anymore, he was released yesterday.