PDA

View Full Version : David Stern Chat

Kori Ellis
04-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Today at 12:15pm ET.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=7763

alamo50
04-08-2005, 11:56 AM
"Matt (Indianapolis, IN): Can Ronnie come out and play?

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:29 PM ET ) Next season, for sure".

:lol

Kori Ellis
04-08-2005, 12:02 PM
NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:17 PM ET ) Hello everyone!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marc (Philadelphia, PA): Mr. Stern: What, if any, new rules will be written into the new CBA in terms of players refusing to play for teams when traded? Or, in general, demanding trades? As a fan, I find it unconscionable for these multi-millionaire primadonnas to get away with such actions.

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:18 PM ET ) Marc, I'm not sure that we can improve much upon the sanctions presently available -- to suspend, without pay -- the offending player. I agree with your perspective and I think those actions have hurt us a lot, even though they were isolated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ryan: Will there ever be an age limit for the NBA?

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:20 PM ET ) There is an age limit now. The minimum entry age in the NBA is 18. We are seeking to raise that to 20 or two years out of high school. The NFL's minimum age is 3 years after high school. I'm optimistic the union will agree to some raise in the minimum age in the current collective bargaining.

Jason Hartford, CT: Have you given any thought to incorporating a one-on-one tourney to All-Star weekend, possibly broken up by position?

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:21 PM ET ) We have thought about it, together with a 2-on-2 and 3-on-3. However, because our players are so competitive, we have tried to make Saturday events at All-Star ''non-contact'' events so that the players would be physically available for Sunday's game.

justin (toronto): If the NBDL becomes a minor league, is there still a need for an age limit?

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:23 PM ET ) Yes, because the current age limit in the NBDL is 20. Therefore, even if we lowered the age limit in the NBDL to accomodate high school graduates, we would still have many youngsters thinking they could make it into the NBA when everyone knows they cannot. It would be far better to tell the communities in which there is so much NBA interest, that life without the NBA should be planned for.

Markus (Minneapolis): Do you enjoy watching other sports or are you too busy?

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:23 PM ET ) I watch lots of other sports including the NFL, NHL, MLB and some downhill skiing.

Mike Westfield, MA.: I've seen plenty of touchy foul calls this year. I was wondering if you are going to tell the refs to let the players play a little more and stop calling fouls everytime someone breathes on Allen Iverson?

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:25 PM ET ) Actually, this year referees have been instructed to call appropriate fouls away from the basket that in the past were allowed to go as non-calls. We felt that there was too much contact and that players were being unfaily slowed in their effort to get to the basket. It has been suggested that the higher scoring games were the result of this modest change in emphasis by the officials.

New York, NY: Mr. Stern, How would you respond to a basketball purist who feels that the experience of attending an NBA game has been diluted by the prolification of popular entertainment, i.e. music during play, dancers instead of cheerleaders, overbearing sound effects. Would it be possible to restrict such fanfare to the first half? I understand that popular support is important to the league but so are the real fans. Keep up the good work.

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:27 PM ET ) I can't disagree with the assertion. But there has evolved a philosophy by our teams that entertainment is a new and important part of our game experience. Whatever my personal view may be (and the size of my ear plugs) I really believe that the majority of our fans have come not only to enjoy the overall experience, but to expect it.

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:28 PM ET ) You and I will have to grin and bear it together ; )

Carlos (Chicago, IL): Commisinoer Stern, now that the NFL and MLB have been called on the carpet because of their steroid scandals, do you think it's time for the NBA to meet the issue head on before any scandal arises out of issues like Sean Elliot's and Alonzo Mouning's kidney issues?

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:29 PM ET ) Yes. We are actively engaged in discussionw with our players about continuing the ongoing process of updating our anti-drug agreement. I should add we have also received communcations from the House of Representative and expect to be invited to visit in the near future.

Matt (Indianapolis, IN): Can Ronnie come out and play?

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:29 PM ET ) Next season, for sure.

joe-new york,ny: Hi David, Due to the fact that the most exciting dunkers usually dont compete in the dunk contest, perhaps a certain some of money should be awarded to the winner in order to try and attract these players.What do yo think about the idea? Thanks for taking my question.

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:30 PM ET ) Actually, we don't believe it is the money. Aside from potential risk of injury, the biggest reason, in my view, is a desire not to look silly with a missed dunk or actually, to get beaten.

Rafae Khan (Montpelier, VT): Did you get a chance to read Paul Shirley's blog on NBA.com? It was refreshingly candid and funny, can you make him do more?

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:31 PM ET ) I looked at it but I can't say that I retained anything from it. I have heard that it is terrific, but I will spend more time on it this weekend.

Rob (Portland, OR): Should NBA fans be worried about a pending lockout, or are you confident that a new CBA will be in place for next season?

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:32 PM ET ) I am optimistic a new CBA will be in place. But it remains true that the only way to make a fair deal is to be prepared to make no deal. That said, we hope that the differences between us and the players will be sufficiently small and wisdom will prevail so we can make a deal prior to next season.

James (Indianapolis, IN): In today's NBA, what do you believe motivates a player more? An NBA Championship or a bigger contract?

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:33 PM ET ) A championship -- every time.

Jason Denver: How do you feel about Reggie Millers judge jury and executioner comments last night regarding the Ron Artest Suspension.

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:37 PM ET ) Actually, discipline is the least favorite part of my job. But while the responsibility has been given to me by both the NBA Constitution and Bylaws and Collective Bargaining Agreement, it would be cowardly of me not to exercise it for the benefit of our fans and our game. Someone is always going to be unhappy with a disciplinary decision, and in the recent case, both and arbitrator and judge reviewed my decision with respect to Ron Artest and upheld it. That hardly makes me a judge, jury and executioner. But I appreciate Reggie's frustration, particularly as he ends a glorious career with a team that is weakened because his teammates were not able to exercise the restraint that fans can fairly expect from NBA players.

Oswego, New York: Who was your pick to win the NCAA championship?

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:37 PM ET ) I didn't have a pick, but was rooting for Bucknell and Vermont (and Rutgers in the women's tournament)!

Scott (Dallas, TX): What are your opinions about backing up the three point line? I think it is long overdue at the college level. There is little to no fundamental basketball being played inside the arc. Do you think the NCAA should back it up, and if they do, what does that do to the NBA's 3-point line?

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:39 PM ET ) I'm not sure moving the line would ultimately decrease the number of three's taken, and after awhile might not even change the percentage. Moving it back would not influence the NBA line in any way.

Tom (Chicago): Is Mark Cuban's number on your speed dial?

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:39 PM ET ) He is an instant-messaging buddy!

Matthew (Alabama): Do you think Micheal Jordan will ever be a team owner?

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:40 PM ET ) I think the answer to that is yes, but Michael is looking for the right situation from both a basketball and business matter.

Kyle (Plainfield, Indiana): To my knowlege, you have yet to address publicly the issue of the bomb scare at the Pacers-Pistons game on March 25. My question is, was the league really going to force the Pacers to forfeit if they didn't play, and how could you justify that?

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:42 PM ET ) I was out of the loop on that evening, but clearly if an arena is deemed safe for 22,000 fans and both teams, then the game should go on and a team refusing to play under those circumstances, would face appropriate sanctions which undoubtedly would include forfeit.

Denn (Pittsburgh): Do you want to switch jobs with a 9th grader? NBA commish. sounds pretty sweet.

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:44 PM ET ) I hope your teacher doesn't focus on the attention you are paying to ESPN.com and not algebra! But I like my job too much to switch. But thanks for asking.

Steven: Mount Vernon,NY: Commissioner how do you invisioned the NBA 10 years from now?

NBA Comm. David Stern: (12:47 PM ET ) Remarkably like the current NBA, with the possible exceptions of franchises in Europe and Latin America and lots of international travel for NBA teams playing regular season or exhibition games around the world. But don't worry, since you will be able to watch it all on ESPN .. just like tonights game.. Detroit at Orlando and Denver at Minnesota!

I very much appreciate the great interest all of you show in the NBA. We will try to justify that support by making a collective bargaining agreement, having a good playoff, and continuing to work with the coummunities where are teams are located to do the best we can. Thanks!

Kori Ellis
04-08-2005, 12:02 PM
New York, NY: Mr. Stern, How would you respond to a basketball purist who feels that the experience of attending an NBA game has been diluted by the prolification of popular entertainment, i.e. music during play, dancers instead of cheerleaders, overbearing sound effects. Would it be possible to restrict such fanfare to the first half? I understand that popular support is important to the league but so are the real fans. Keep up the good work.

Spurminator, did you move to New York over night?
:lmao