PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Williams our Point Guard Salvation?

ceperez
08-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Read http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/04/04/marcus-williams-as-point-guard/

"Marcus Williams does a wonderful job of initiating the offense and seems to have a real firm grasp of where to move either the ball or his body. It’s obvious that his dominance of the D-League is the result of two things: 1) hard work and 2) he fully understands the Spurs/Toros system. As a point guard, Marcus Williams could transform his tweener frame from a negative into a positive. 6′7” is tremendous size for a point."

DMX7
08-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Marcus William is not a point guard, I don't see it.

Destro
08-03-2009, 03:03 PM
i saw some games with him in the D-league. he basically ran the point half the possestioons he was in

TheProfessor
08-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Point guard, no. Point forward, maybe. The question is, what position will he defend in the NBA?

ceperez
08-03-2009, 03:20 PM
i saw some games with him in the D-league. he basically ran the point half the possestioons he was in

Is he a better ball handler and passer than George Hill?

I mean, I do like #3, but from what I saw in Summer League, the guy isn't that good handling the ball and can't see to see the passing angles. To be fair, George Hill definitely can lock down a PG (example: Iverson)

angelbelow
08-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Would any one have highlights of him or anything? I know that he dominated statistically in the D-league last season but Ive never seen him play.

ChumpDumper
08-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Salvation?

No.

TheProfessor
08-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Salvation?

No.
Do you think he could be an adequate point forward if he shares the floor with, say, Ginobili and Hill?

ChumpDumper
08-03-2009, 03:38 PM
I think he is an intriguing prospect, but can't say much more. It will be interesting to see how he is used, if at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they try him at the actual PG slot to see if it causes mismatches against other bench players, but a lineup like you described could be effective as well. There could be some crazy ball movement with multiple passers on the floor.

Destro
08-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Is he a better ball handler and passer than George Hill?

no

ChumpDumper
08-03-2009, 03:57 PM
I think he actually might be a better passer than Hill.

jag
08-03-2009, 04:02 PM
I think he actually might be a better passer than Hill.

Does he have the athletic ability to defend opposing guards? He might be able to move the ball around and set up the offense, but are smaller, quicker guards going to go right past him on defense?

TheProfessor
08-03-2009, 04:03 PM
I think he is an intriguing prospect, but can't say much more. It will be interesting to see how he is used, if at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they try him at the actual PG slot to see if it causes mismatches against other bench players, but a lineup like you described could be effective as well. There could be some crazy ball movement with multiple passers on the floor.
I think the Spurs see Williams creating match-up dilemmas off the bench (part of the reason they held onto him rather than Hairston). His versatility is, as you say, intriguing. But all this could be moot with a poor camp, so we'll just have to see.

TheProfessor
08-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Does he have the athletic ability to defend opposing guards? He might be able to move the ball around and set up the offense, but are smaller, quicker guards going to go right past him on defense?
Put Hill on them.

Tully365
08-03-2009, 04:06 PM
I doubt J Vaughn would've had any 30/10/10 games in the D League last year, so as a third PG/SG/SF, he's really not a bad option. His best performances in the D League were as good or better than those of Mahinmi.

bishopospurs
08-03-2009, 04:40 PM
should be a fun preseason, can't wait to see what we really have. It would be nice to have him be able to contribute at both positions, but he has to be able to play d on guards. Maybe not Chris Paul's, but at least 2nd string type of points. If a team like the hornets sub CP3 back in you rotate Williams away defensively back to the 3 spot.

anonoftheinternets
08-03-2009, 04:49 PM

ariza has had some good success against small points... we could hope marcus has some of the same quickness, but someone who has watched him play a lot could give us a better idea...

kbrury
08-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Well the good thing is he will probably be out there(if he ever plays) with other ball handlers, they wouldn't at least I hope they don't make him the primary ball handler when he is out there. I guess maybe poor poor man's Brent Barry without the shooting lol.

exstatic
08-03-2009, 06:53 PM

You play him with Hill, and cross match the guards.

BackHome
08-03-2009, 07:14 PM
To be fair Hills ball handling sucked last year and his passing skills were dribble to three point line and then pass to the wing. I hope he has worked on those two things this summer and hope that he will be a steady backup to Tony.

As far as Williams all I can remember is that him and Harriston were always scoring thirty pts and having 6 to seven rebounds a game. I do like though having Williams as an insurance package so we got someone for PG, SG, and SF postions if someone goes down.

angelbelow
08-03-2009, 08:09 PM

Yea, that is what I was thinking too.

antimvp
08-03-2009, 08:14 PM
yes

SpurCharger
08-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Salvation?? Hell No...... but maybe If someone gets Hurt for Spot Minutes....

Obstructed_View
08-03-2009, 08:55 PM
He'll be the salvation of Pop's dream draft pick, because he can run the point and let McClinton defend the opposing point guard. The passing of the mancrush torch has begun, folks.

wildbill2u
08-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Didn't he play PG at Arizona? I remember that his coach was very high on him at one point for his versatility.There were some really excellent quotes from Luke.

Solid D
08-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Following is the Spurs' playoff roster in 2008-09 in order of minutes played.

If you were to fill in players you think may fill those slots on the Active List, would Marcus Williams be the 12th man, replacing Jacque, or would you go with Hill and Ginobili backing up Parker and plug in one of the other deep rotation guys?

2008-09 Playoffs....2009-10 Top 12
1. Parker.........Parker
2. Duncan.......Duncan
3. Finley.........Finley
4. Bowen........Jefferson
5. Mason........Mason
6. Udoka........Ginobili
7. Bonner........Bonner
8. Thomas......McDyess
9. Hill............Hill
10. Gooden.....Blair
11. Oberto......Ratliff
12. Vaughn.....Williams? Mahinmi? Haislip? Hairston?

(For simplicity, I kept returning players on the same line, even though minutes distribution will likely be different in 2009-10)

Blackjack
08-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Following is the Spurs' playoff roster in 2008-09 in order of minutes played.

If you were to fill in players you think may fill those slots on the Active List, would Marcus Williams be the 12th man, replacing Jacque, or would you go with Hill and Ginobili backing up Parker and plug in one of the other deep rotation guys?

Depends on matchups and injuries/needs.

With the rule change there's more flexibilty and less guesswork when determining who dresses, so yeah. Williams could be the 12th man.

I've questioned whether Marcus had the athleticism to succeed at the NBA level but have always been intrigued with him and the prospect of a point-forward. It seems the Spurs, who've viewed Hill as more of a 2, have also been intrigued with the prospect.

Allowing a 6' 7'' guy to run the point alongside the likes of a Hill or the likes of a McClinton (who they made known was drafted to play the 2) potentially prevents the Spurs from losing any size defensively in the backcourt all while allowing players to play in a more comfortable, natural position.

That's the ideal scenario, if Marcus can come through, but it remains to be seen.

45 bank shot
08-03-2009, 11:24 PM
i don't wanna draw any conclusion yet. i'd rather see what he can do this upcoming season

Obstructed_View
08-03-2009, 11:39 PM
i don't wanna draw any conclusion yet. I'd rather see what he can do in training camp since he didn't even play in sl

+1

Baseline
08-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Is there a reason why Pop didn't play Marcus Williams or Haislip in the Summer League?

I'd like to think Pop has something up his sleeve, like he doesn't want to show the world what he might have.

For example, if Haislip can really shoot the three, we've really got something. It would make Bonner completely expendable, and maybe even Finley as well.

Correction: Finley is expendable anyway.

Solid D
08-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Marcus Williams had an injured wrist. Haislip is 29, qualifies as a 3-year NBA veteran and has 4 years in Euroleague play in Turkey and Spain, so the Spurs may have felt like he didn't need to bother with SL.

Spursfan 87
08-04-2009, 01:05 AM
send him to Europe for a year. There he can really polish his skills.

Calavera
08-04-2009, 04:06 AM
what about rommel beck, he`s not point guard, but he`s incredible player, why he`s so underrated? :)

ceperez
08-04-2009, 06:19 AM

Yes, exactly exstatic, finally you got one right! ;-)

raspsa
08-04-2009, 06:34 AM
Can't wait to see how the 2 Marcuses perform in training camp.. in particular, what kind of perimeter defenders they are.

Bruno
08-04-2009, 06:48 AM
Marcus Williams = young Boris Diaw

Brazil
08-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Marcus Williams = young Boris Diaw

:wow

Too good to be true

ceperez
08-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Let's put this in perspective, we all all raving about 6'6" DeJuan Blair with a 7'2" wingspan... well Marcus Williams is 6'7" with a 7'1" and can pass, dribble and rebound.

Check out this youtube video for a glimpse of what he can do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF8cQvsAlH8

Yeah, it's D-league, but you have to have some decent skills to go (near) triple double in his last 3 consecutive games:
Date Opponent Result MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OFF DEF REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
Apr 18 @ COL L 114-111 48 14-31 1-4 4-6 1 11 12 12 1 0 7 2 33
Apr 15 vs. IDA W 119-116 53 11-24 6-6 5-8 1 8 9 8 2 0 6 3 33
Apr 4 vs. IOW W 129-112 45 11-19 2-3 5-5 0 14 14 13 0 1 6 0 29

Some highlights worth noting: 6-6 3PM on Apr 15
14 Rebounds, 13 assists of Apr 4
Finally, (yeah I know it's d-league), but his last two games were in the playoffs where I would assume there's more intensity than the regular season.

The dude is under contract for a reason!

These are crazy stats!

JonNOKC
08-04-2009, 08:20 AM
I have good contact on Toros staff - (operations side, but well informed of whats going on in terms of Toros/Spurs relations/players) - I have posted on other website about this initially getting ridiculed by some - seems to be alot more action over here - anyway - he told me the Austin coaches believe Marcus has value in being able to play spot minutes (depending on matchups) at either the SF,SG, or PG - and his versatility could help him be part of squad - in fact after PO ousting and before the RJ move he told me Marcus would definitely be on 15 man roster - now he says he still thinks he will be - The coaches did say against quick defensive PG he would have to run the PG role from SG,SF. He still needs to get better ball handling, decision making, and consistent beyond 20ft on jumper - he excelled in the Point role for the 15-18 games at end of season. - Anyway - this was all first mentioned when I talked to him shortly after the PO beating we took - I think the Spurs definitely plan on evaluating him in this role in camp and that may decide whether Marcus is on roster or let go in favor of vet PG (if we can't move someone else)

Stump
08-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Some of you need to chill out a little on the expectations. At this point Marcus would be a huge success if he ever became a solid end-of-the-rotation player.

venitian navigator
08-04-2009, 09:26 AM
At this point, we'll probably stick with what we have pending an evaluation through summer time / training camp...

Under contract

pg Parker - Hill - M. Wiliams
g Mason - Ginobili - Finley
f Jefferson - Haislip/Hairston
pf McDyess - Blair - Bonner
c Duncan - Mahinmi - Ratliff

(probably Toros with Toros contract : Gist - Mc Clinton)

I put the names in order of playing time in the first part of the season.
I mean that in summertime, training camp and the first part of the season the most part of the "reserve time" should go to the young guns from whom the F.O. is needing aswers...so Blair and Mahinmi like third and fourth option for big men makes some sense (and Haisplip/Hairston sharing minutes like reserve sf depending of the match ups...) .
Then, in case, in the middle/final part of the season, veterans (Finley, Bonner, Ratliff) will have more playing time...
M. Williams looks like the one of the young ones with probably more difficulties to have some time available given that he'll be the third stringer in a play making role that's the most covered (Parker and Hill are good and young)...However, here comes his versatility (M.W. can play all three back - court roles) and that could give him, in any case, a little more chances to play...

cheguevara
08-04-2009, 09:29 AM
what about rommel beck, he`s not point guard, but he`s incredible player, why he`s so underrated? :)

dude sucks. horrible ballhandler and defender

ceperez
08-04-2009, 09:31 AM
I have good contact on Toros staff - (operations side, but well informed of whats going on in terms of Toros/Spurs relations/players) - I have posted on other website about this initially getting ridiculed by some - seems to be alot more action over here - anyway - he told me the Austin coaches believe Marcus has value in being able to play spot minutes (depending on matchups) at either the SF,SG, or PG - and his versatility could help him be part of squad - in fact after PO ousting and before the RJ move he told me Marcus would definitely be on 15 man roster - now he says he still thinks he will be - The coaches did say against quick defensive PG he would have to run the PG role from SG,SF. He still needs to get better ball handling, decision making, and consistent beyond 20ft on jumper - he excelled in the Point role for the 15-18 games at end of season. - Anyway - this was all first mentioned when I talked to him shortly after the PO beating we took - I think the Spurs definitely plan on evaluating him in this role in camp and that may decide whether Marcus is on roster or let go in favor of vet PG (if we can't move someone else)

Thanks for the inside info! Agree too, he's got to become a point guard for him to play in the league.

TDMVPDPOY
08-04-2009, 10:22 AM
why cant he get a roster spot

theres more shit out there in the league than him

Darkwaters
08-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm excited about Marcus. As far as I'm concerned hes an easily expendable, cheap, player. My expectations of him are zero at this point...which means if he contributes ANYTHING then it's a plus. Otherwise, I really doesn't matter at all. But hes got some skills that are somewhat unique and he might surprise. Honestly, thats all you can ask for a 15th man.

angelbelow
08-04-2009, 01:28 PM

thanks for sharing

Obstructed_View
08-04-2009, 07:01 PM
I didn't watch any of the summer league.

Solid D
08-04-2009, 07:54 PM
http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:BXp_AqGxVGOOuM:http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/101243346_c1bb6d969a.jpg?v=0

Marcus and this new Spurs team...they are all just clay in Pop's hands.