PDA

View Full Version : Duncan, almost ready?

Kori Ellis
04-08-2005, 10:59 AM
This hasn't been talked about much today. Last night, it was said in the broadcast, that Duncan went through a series of tests/drills yesterday and if he would have been able to complete them that he would have suited up last night.

Obviously, he wasn't able to finish. But this is great news for Spurs and surely an indicator that Duncan should be ready in a matter of days.

I always thought he'd have his first game back on the 12th at home. But I'm starting to think maybe it will be sooner.

I think it would be an incredible boost mentally if he would be in uniform Sunday when they play the Warriors. Golden State is playing very good basketball; even a few minutes of Duncan on the court would be nice to see.

What do you think? Do you think we'll see him play this weekend?

bigbendbruisebrother
04-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Yikes. I don't know. It would be a great immediate boost, but is it worth the risk? All chances for a championship would be quashed if he were to reinjure it. And if Tim comes back now, what are the odds of taking the top seed? Or would the logic be to just get him back so that we can tune up for the first round in time to make adjustments? I doubt Pop will rush it, and I don't think that Jim Gray was accurate. All other reports that have come out of the Spurs camp have indicated the last three to five games of the regular season as being the target.

On a related note, in his workouts, is he still wearing the low top addidas? I know he has a contract with them, but I'm sure there is a shoe they can put on him that offers more support. Has his taping changed noticeably?

MannyIsGod
04-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Only if he's ready, only if he's ready. Pop's never rushed an injury before, and I just hope he doesn't start now.

Kori Ellis
04-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Pop would never rush him back. But maybe he's just getting healed. They said last week that it could be with 3 games left or 7 games left, or anything in between.

On a related note, in his workouts, is he still wearing the low top addidas? I know he has a contract with them, but I'm sure there is a shoe they can put on him that offers more support. Has his taping changed noticeably?

I honestly don't know. But I'd imagine they are going to do anything and everything they can to protect his ankle from now on.

MannyIsGod
04-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Someone needs to be shot if they allow Duncan to step foot (pun intended :blah :blah) onto the court without that ankle taped up. The taping isn't going to hurt his play, but it will protect that damn foot.

Shaolin-Style
04-08-2005, 11:29 AM
I'd rather him take as many games off as he can, I don't think TDs the type to be rusty come playoffs with lots of rest, but yeah I'd love the news, and think he may play

Clandestino
04-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Someone needs to be shot if they allow Duncan to step foot (pun intended :blah :blah) onto the court without that ankle taped up. The taping isn't going to hurt his play, but it will protect that damn foot.

i think he had it taped even when he injured it... and if he didn't the spurs trainers should all be fired since it has been weak all season...

TMSKILZ
04-08-2005, 11:35 AM
The sooner the better just to shake off any rust he'll have in his shooting & in game stamina, but I sure hope that the Spurs staff & trainers make Duncan wear ankle braces!

Kori, anyone know if Duncan going to sport some sort of Ankle sleeves/braces?

polandprzem
04-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Play him against the Blazers and one of Memphis games.
No time to risk

Summers
04-08-2005, 11:44 AM
I get itchy when I think of Duncan returning sooner rather than later. I know Pop isn't going to rush him, but Duncan's stubborn and is probably pushing himself. I wonder how effective he can be on a gimpy ankle: will it make him hesitant to jump/rebound?

I have a feeling the tape is going to be very thick when he returns. It looked to be pretty heavily-taped for his golf outing, if that's any indication.

Also, re the brace, didn't someone mention that a brace would be ideal to prevent reinjury to the ankle but it makes the knee more susceptible to lateral movement; and given an option, we'd rather have a busted ankle because it heals faster/better? I remember reading that and it makes sense. I'm not an expert, but when he went down in Detroit, his knee did take quite a jolt laterally. If his ankle hadn't given at all, it's easy to imagine he'd be dealing with a much worse injury. (knock on wood!!)

CosmicCowboy
04-08-2005, 11:49 AM
ESPN said he went through a series of tests/drills and when the ankle showed instability in the circle drill they stopped...I tend to think it will be another week or so based on that...Tim still had a visible limp in his step at the Clipper game...

mouse
04-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Duncan Ready? he is ready alright......ready to retire.. :lmao

Kori Ellis
04-08-2005, 11:53 AM
From the E-N ...

After watching Tim Duncan work out Thursday morning at American Airlines Center, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich remains hopeful the two-time MVP will be able to play in the final three to five games of the regular season.

"It looks like that's possible," Popovich said. "We'll see how he does with a few more days of (workouts)."

Duncan, who has been sidelined since spraining his right ankle March 20, performed some defensive slide drills and worked on his lateral movement. He also ran in a circle to further test the ankle.

"It's a good step forward," Popovich said. "It's still painful, of course, but the pain tolerance is such that he's out there trying to work through it right now."

baseline bum
04-08-2005, 12:21 PM
I want Duncan to play as soon as he's ready... but maybe 15-25 minutes for the rest of the season (from whenever he comes back) just to get used to the game again without putting too much stress on the body.

PM5K
04-08-2005, 12:29 PM
I don't really care, al this BS about him needing to be on the court before the season ends for both his sake and the other players is as I said BS.

Tim has been playing with the core group of these guys long enough that they won't forget how to play together after only one month, and Tim has been playing long enough that he won't need any time to shake off any rust, you don't just loose sweet touch and skills like he has....

Conditioning, not worried about it either, he's a professional athlete, one month isn't a big deal.....

ggoose25
04-08-2005, 12:46 PM
I cant wait for Tim to return, but I dont want them to return to 'ol predictable 4 down. It places a lot of stress on Tim peforming well right out of the injury, especially when he's bound to have a lot of rust. I think trying to keep the game up tempo and motion based would alleviate a lot of the pressure of feeling like he has to put the team on his back right away. I've felt all season the Spurs are at their best when Tim's scoring is down in the low 20's or high teen's and everyone is being aggressive on penetrating and cleaning the boards.

BigVee
04-08-2005, 12:54 PM
The Spurs need a combo of 3 wins or losses by Dallas. Tim should only play if that is in jeopardy. Big difference between 2-3 seed and 4th. Same goes for Manu. Once the magic number is reached.....on the bench until the 23rd.

exstatic
04-08-2005, 01:39 PM
I don't really care, al this BS about him needing to be on the court before the season ends for both his sake and the other players is as I said BS.

And what happens when he has to take his first jumper in the playoffs against Denver? Dropping a game at home because Tim is rusty wouldn't be wise, and could be disasterous. It's not like he has to learn the offense or how to play with his team mates, but he WILL be rusty when he returns. He'll need a couple of games to shake that off.

50 cent
04-08-2005, 01:59 PM
We will play Houston in the 1st round! Denver's gonna pass them up.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-08-2005, 02:19 PM
I'd keep Duncan out at least until this brutal part of the schedule is over.

waly.mg
04-08-2005, 02:31 PM
I want him for the Last 3, with Memphis and Minnesota

The last 5 are very dangerous, a couple of days more arenīt too important

slayermin
04-08-2005, 04:25 PM
I hope he tapes up that ankle or wears an ankle brace.

Support helps and he isn't a high flyer anyway. The extra support shouldn't take away too much range of motion on that ankle.

cherylsteele
04-08-2005, 05:41 PM
The sooner the better just to shake off any rust he'll have in his shooting & in game stamina, but I sure hope that the Spurs staff & trainers make Duncan wear ankle braces!

Kori, anyone know if Duncan going to sport some sort of Ankle sleeves/braces?

I would like him sooner but I don't thin the cost in the long run (playoffs) is worth it.....if he comes back too soon and just slightly turns it...it could mean he WOULD be gone for the season and playoffs.

When he does come back I would limit his minutes but so much as to not work off the rust in his game for being out a few weeks.

TDfan2007
04-08-2005, 07:04 PM
The stupid NBA doesn't allow ankle braces, that's why players get their ankles taped. :depressed :depressed :depressed

I'm thinking of going to the Portland game so hopefully he'll be back then.

bonesinaz
04-08-2005, 07:18 PM
I think that TD will be back for at least the last 5 games, but with very limited minutes. He may even be back sooner.

I mentioned in another thread that my Father had a 3rd degree sprain to his ankle and an avulsion fracture (peroneous brevis tore away a chip of the 5th MT). I am AMAZED at how well he is doing but the swelling did take over a week to go down. He had a brace/cast for 2 weeks and he is walking around, even walking his monster of a dog. Now, my Dad is no NBA star, but he is 79 years old.

Injuries do heal, sometimes so fast it is alarming. BTW- orthopedic surgeon said it would take 6 weeks for him to heal. :)

slayermin
04-08-2005, 08:00 PM
The stupid NBA doesn't allow ankle braces, that's why players get their ankles taped.

I learn something knew everyday. Do you know why they don't allow them?

whottt
04-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Rest him rest him rest him!

Last time he was rushed back...and he was the reason he was rushed back...because he pressured Pop into letting him play...and we saw what happened....

Don't listen to Duncan because he is a competitor and he can't be trusted to say if he is still injured...Drob was the same way...he'd always lie and say he felt fine when he really didn't....Pop finally figured out to just go on his own instinct based on the way Robinson looked and he should do the same thing with Duncan...

And he should do it with Manu too...Manu can't be trusted either...he said he was fine before last nights game and we all saw that he really wasn't...

The Spurs need to hold these guys out until they "they" think the players are healthy and not let the player convince them otherwise...

We just need a combination of between 3 wins or 3 mavs losses to lock up the second seed...there is no need to play these guys extensively right now...

Our best hopes of winning a title, regardless of seeding, require that Duncan and Manu be at maximum health...and well rested...

In fact...we probably ought to give our 34 years olds in Bowen and Barry some rest too...we need those legs rested in the playoffs if we want them to shoot good...

I am not trying to baby these guys either...Bowen and Barry are the only guys that have played in every game...and they are our oldeest regular rotation players...

Pop needs to follow his own instincts and those of the trainers on this..and not listen to Manu or Tim...

bonesinaz
04-08-2005, 09:19 PM
Whottt-
Even if TD had sat out half a year, if he rolled the ankle as bad as he did last time, he would be out for a few games. Besides, he has to move it now for it to heal with minimal scar tissue.

Of course Pop and the trainers have to listen to the players!?! What, are they supposed to guess how TD feels?

TDfan2007
04-08-2005, 11:21 PM
I learn something knew everyday. Do you know why they don't allow them?

No, but it really is a stupid rule (just like the "no undershirts" policy), countless players have sprained their ankles because of it. :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

MI21
04-09-2005, 08:56 AM
The NBA doesn't allow ankle braces?

I would call bullshit on that one, but then I tried to think of players that have worn them and I couldn't. As for the no undershirt policy, many players were shirts underneath there singlet to protect ribs etc, just without sleeves.