PDA

View Full Version : Would you swap Manu for Boozer?

Tmor103178
08-05-2009, 02:00 PM
This an idea floated by a friend of mine who is not a Spurs fan but is a huge NBA guy, lots of knowledge about the cap and the game. He likes to float out proposals he thinks would help both teams. I am as big of a Manu fan as there is but the arguments for this deal piqued my interest.

"What do you guys think of a Boozer/Ginobili deal? Seems to make some sense for both teams? Both are on expiring deals. San Anton gets some young blood in the mix and a pretty scary front line. Seems like Boozer might thrive there since Duncan and Pop could maybe convince him to play some D. Plus, the Boozer/Parker pick-and-roll would be awesome. Also, Boozer runs the floor better than any of their other big men so that gives them another weapon in the arsenal (the fast break with Parker leading, RJeff running out ahead on the wing, Boozer back-filling the lane, and Mason/Finley trailing to the 3-point line will be scary).

I dunno, maybe they don't need Boozer since they have Blair and McDyess now. But I see it as more of a smart intermediate-term move for them as well. The Jefferson move has fucked up the Spurs future cap space. So the only way for them to add big-money talent now is through trades. If they trade for Boozer now, they will have a huge advantage in their ability to re-sign him next summer. Boozer and Manu will likely be equally productive players this year, and possibly in 2011 as well, but Boozer has a longer shelf life. As they transition into the Duncan-as-role-player/post-Duncan era, I think a Parker-Boozer-Jefferson core would be far more successful than Parker-Ginobili-Jefferson. Plus, since Boozer and Blair are both sorta broke they would likely be a nice complement as the Spurs can give the heavier load to whichever one isn't hurting.

For Utah, I think it is obvious they would click accept. There are ways to structure the deal so that it offers them more luxury tax relief (for example, send Korver to the Spurs who would likely want another bench wing man that can shoot after getting rid of Ginobili, and send Bonner who would be useless post-Boozer to Detroit who needs a big) but more to the point it would be a straight positional swap. They give up a dude that plays their deepest position for a player of approximately equal value that plays the position where they are weakest. Huge upgrade. Test drive Ginobili for a year and if they like him, they have his Bird rights. If he ends up walking, they've at least saved a little money and given themselves a better shot in 2010."

hater
08-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Blair > Boozer

Taking it to the Hole
08-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Injured Manu > Healthy Boozer

PBEEZY
08-05-2009, 02:06 PM
no

dougp
08-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Not a chance in hell would I do that.

Texas_Ranger
08-05-2009, 02:09 PM
I'd swap him for Deron Williams.

Dex
08-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Not just no, but hellllll no.

Sausage
08-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Considering we have 7 bigs on the roster already, no.

benefactor
08-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Who are you people?

portnoy1
08-05-2009, 02:13 PM
You Bring up an interesting point. However Ginobili brings energy and 4th quarter heroics to the game. Boozer does not. Also Boozer health is just as bad as Ginobili's. I would trade Jefferson for Boozer and Korver, not Manu. Boozer has a sweet High arc jumper and to compliment he has post moves using either hand. Ohh yeah and he'll get rebounds and dunk the ball. Him playing defense is not a problem, Pop has a system just like Sloan has a system. If he can play under Sloan, He can definitely play under Pop.

PDXSpursFan
08-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Boozer defense = owned by Oberto

Muser
08-05-2009, 02:14 PM
:lmao

portnoy1
08-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Boozer defense = owned by Obertothat was 2007, plus he had no playoff/ big game experience.

spursfaninla
08-05-2009, 02:18 PM
We have lots of potentially good bigs right now, and we DO NOT have many perimeter creators...

This would imbalance our offense terribly. Boozer would need too many touches to be effective, because he would be taking shots away from Duncan.

That said, I am concerned about our post play going into the future; not so much that I would jettison our only starter-quality sg.

angelbelow
08-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Boozer is severely overrated, as most fantasy basketball allstars are.

CFH
08-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Hell naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw. :lmao

Spur|n|Austin
08-05-2009, 02:24 PM
baaaahhh humbug!

z0sa
that was 2007, plus he had no playoff/ big game experience.

Boozer had 6-8 blocks last season. And he was only injured about 25 games IIRC.

Libri
Give me some time to think about it. *1 sec.* No.

Nathan Explosion
08-05-2009, 02:27 PM
I'd say no because Boozer doesn't fill a need. The Spurs have quite a few big men already, so acquiring another one doesn't do them any good. I like Boozer's game, but the Spurs would need a perimeter scorer if they traded Gino away.

DPG21920
08-05-2009, 02:35 PM
I would not do it, but from a "talent" standpoint, people need to quit acting like Boozer is some scrub.

Is he a massive douche? Yes. Does he play very poor defense? Yes. But he has talent and has been a ~20/10 guy for a while. Most of the league or GM's would put Manu on the same tier as Boozer value wise when both are healthy. Some may put Boozer much ahead.

Spurs value Manu for his hustle, heart and intangibles. He is a good guy and easy to root for when he is on your team. But people need to quit flaming the OP like it is some ridiculous idea.

SenorSpur
08-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Puleassse! :nope

The fact of the matter is that it IS a ridiculous idea. :lmao

Summers
08-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Not just no, but hellllll no.

easy7
08-05-2009, 02:46 PM
In...like sin and hell no!!!

completely deck
08-05-2009, 02:47 PM
way to join the community

NRHector
08-05-2009, 02:51 PM
It seems that you are new in this forum, so any threads about trading Manu are not welcome in this forum, Manu is untouchable.:nope

spursfan09
08-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Manu is the intangible. He is the x - factor. So no thank you

z0sa
08-05-2009, 03:02 PM
I would not do it, but from a "talent" standpoint, people need to quit acting like Boozer is some scrub.

Is he a massive douche? Yes. Does he play very poor defense? Yes. But he has talent and has been a ~20/10 guy for a while. Most of the league or GM's would put Manu on the same tier as Boozer value wise when both are healthy. Some may put Boozer much ahead.

Spurs value Manu for his hustle, heart and intangibles. He is a good guy and easy to root for when he is on your team. But people need to quit flaming the OP like it is some ridiculous idea.

... maybe we all took a look at our big man situation and realized we need a 2005 ben wallace, the opposite of a 2009 Carlos Boozer, if we're going to shore the situation up further. Scoring and rebounding down low should not be a problem now, and those are the two primary advtanges Boozer brings to the table. Additionally, if he played passably well on D, there'd be much more motivation to get him. Problem is, he doesn't much and even when he's 'on' defensively, he doesn't block or alter many (read:any) shots.

Besides the fact moving Manu for yet another big leaves gaping holes in the backcourt.

760Spursfan
08-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Healthy Manu-Healthy Boozer.....hell no

Injured Manu-Healthy Boozer....hell yes

TIMMYD!
08-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I just thought of something even if Tim plays at center next year he can still make the all-star team because Yao Ming won't be there.

I. Hustle
08-05-2009, 03:33 PM
I doubt Manu would do any good as a GM and RC just doesn't look like a baller to me. Maybe when he was younger but this makes no sense to me.

nbaman99
08-05-2009, 03:47 PM
hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

2muchDuncan
08-05-2009, 03:58 PM
No way.

jacobdrj
08-05-2009, 04:01 PM
injured manu > healthy boozer

+1

MmP
08-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Also Boozer health is just as bad as Ginobili's. I would trade Jefferson for Boozer and Korver, not Manu.
As bad? Wherer did Manu got the fcking reputation of an Injury prone??
The guys has had only 1 serious injury in his carreer and he's soft. I don't get it.
From 25 to 30 he's been as healthy as few in the league, give him a rest.

duncan228
08-05-2009, 05:27 PM
I just thought of something even if Tim plays at center next year he can still make the all-star team because Yao Ming won't be there.

Duncan has played Center to some degree (or more) for years. He'll stay listed as the Power Forward for all Spurs games and as a Forward on the All-Star ballot.

Ocotillo
08-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Boozer is not a Spur.

He is short on character.

The Spurs look at more than simply talent, age and potential, they look at the intangibles and Boozer falls short there.

SequSpur
08-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Hell yeah...I would definitely trade Manu for him. It's not even a tough sell or hard to think about... Shit, Tony Parker for Boozer also.

Dex
08-05-2009, 06:00 PM
The best player in the NBA for a drunk?

Sounds like somebody here is the boozer.

Yuckity yuck yuck.

DynastySpurs210
08-05-2009, 06:05 PM
WTF!!! LOLZ

uh nah were fine wut we got!! we dont need more pf!!
were only missing 2 pieces to our puzzle and its Raja Bell/ Marcus Campy

exstatic
08-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Boozer is just a post scoring version of Bonner. He doesn't do anything else to make his team better, and is a turnstile on defense.

rayray2k8
08-05-2009, 06:30 PM
I liked you better when you didn't talk.

Pucho!!!
08-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Get Boozer for a yr, watch him miss defensive assignments and definitely lose him next summer to a suitor with a larger money bag or keep Manu for a yr, have him go off this season becuz he feels he's got sumthing to prove and prolly have him 2-3 more years after while he shows r new SGs (de Colo for one) the ropes...I'd rather have Manu!

Sisk
08-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Hell yeah...I would definitely trade Manu for him. It's not even a tough sell or hard to think about... Shit, Tony Parker for Boozer also.

pretty sure this oozes with sarcasm..

Spursfan092120
08-05-2009, 07:09 PM
lol @ the baited thread.

spursfan1000
08-05-2009, 07:17 PM
LOL parker for him. LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

spursfan1000
08-05-2009, 07:19 PM
No. Boozer plays no defense once so ever and we are already stacked on big men.

Brazil
08-05-2009, 07:24 PM

:depressed have you forgot ? TP is the best player in the nba

dougp
08-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Seriously you fucktard, respond in the fucking thread.

Brazil
08-05-2009, 07:38 PM

^that

ManuTP9
08-05-2009, 07:44 PM
make it happen RC! :rollin:rollin:rollin:lol

Riverwalkman
08-05-2009, 07:50 PM
He don't know what is loyalty, he is money-oriented.

Rogue
08-05-2009, 07:51 PM
This thread is started by Sequ, which explains a lot. The Spurs are no longer in need for a decent bigger now that they have already got Dyess from FA market, and it doesn't cost much to fill up the rotation with some no-so-skillful big guys who are everywhere on the table. It would be a waste of money to use someone of Boozer's prize as a backup PF or center and I don't think Boozer is worth losing Tony Longoria, and you all know how little I consider TL.

Manu-of-steel
08-05-2009, 09:07 PM
This is a ridiculous idea. The spurs do not need someone like boozer. Manu= winner. Boozer= sounds like loser to me.

spursnatic
08-05-2009, 09:15 PM
I say if they will take Bonner for him?...Than do it!!!....

callo1
08-05-2009, 09:52 PM
I love the heart and passion that Manu has, so I would say no. Yeah, Manu has been beat up the last few years, but he got beat up leaving it all on the court for his team...I respect that and couldn't see bailing on him now.

I could never be a coach or a GM in charge of moving players because I simply can't treat it like a business. I get too attached to the players, especially the ones who deserve it.

wijayas
08-05-2009, 09:59 PM
As good as Boozer is, he will become a locker room cancer. If Jerry Sloan does not want him, I highly doubt Pop wants him. Pop and JS are both old school.

peskypesky
08-05-2009, 10:24 PM
not now. we have McDyess and Blair (and maybe Mahinmi) to help out in the post. but last year? probably.

YODA
08-05-2009, 10:31 PM
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2009/08/04/nba_20090804_boozer.nba/

Funny, I find this vid, then come here to find this thread on Boozer.

In a dream world, of course we would take him, but reality is we trying to win this year and we are spent. we not giving up the big 3 and there is not much else to offer.

lefty
08-05-2009, 10:33 PM
This an idea floated by a friend of mine who is not a Spurs fan but is a huge NBA guy, lots of knowledge about the cap and the game. He likes to float out proposals he thinks would help both teams. I am as big of a Manu fan as there is but the arguments for this deal piqued my interest.

"What do you guys think of a Boozer/Ginobili deal? Seems to make some sense for both teams? Both are on expiring deals. San Anton gets some young blood in the mix and a pretty scary front line. Seems like Boozer might thrive there since Duncan and Pop could maybe convince him to play some D. Plus, the Boozer/Parker pick-and-roll would be awesome. Also, Boozer runs the floor better than any of their other big men so that gives them another weapon in the arsenal (the fast break with Parker leading, RJeff running out ahead on the wing, Boozer back-filling the lane, and Mason/Finley trailing to the 3-point line will be scary).

I dunno, maybe they don't need Boozer since they have Blair and McDyess now. But I see it as more of a smart intermediate-term move for them as well. The Jefferson move has fucked up the Spurs future cap space. So the only way for them to add big-money talent now is through trades. If they trade for Boozer now, they will have a huge advantage in their ability to re-sign him next summer. Boozer and Manu will likely be equally productive players this year, and possibly in 2011 as well, but Boozer has a longer shelf life. As they transition into the Duncan-as-role-player/post-Duncan era, I think a Parker-Boozer-Jefferson core would be far more successful than Parker-Ginobili-Jefferson. Plus, since Boozer and Blair are both sorta broke they would likely be a nice complement as the Spurs can give the heavier load to whichever one isn't hurting.

For Utah, I think it is obvious they would click accept. There are ways to structure the deal so that it offers them more luxury tax relief (for example, send Korver to the Spurs who would likely want another bench wing man that can shoot after getting rid of Ginobili, and send Bonner who would be useless post-Boozer to Detroit who needs a big) but more to the point it would be a straight positional swap. They give up a dude that plays their deepest position for a player of approximately equal value that plays the position where they are weakest. Huge upgrade. Test drive Ginobili for a year and if they like him, they have his Bird rights. If he ends up walking, they've at least saved a little money and given themselves a better shot in 2010."

It took you so many words to show off your stupidity?

Budkin
08-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Hell no.

rogcl1
08-05-2009, 11:42 PM
No,. and Hell no.
Boozer merely equals Gooden without the character of Gooden. Manu is the heart of the Spurs.
Anyone who would suggest trading Manu for a self serving sleaze like Boozer is either fucking with people or is just a genuine dumbass.

OrEmuN
08-06-2009, 02:18 AM
I just want to say no, not based on their age or ability but on their contract.

Both expires in 2011. But we do not have Bird's rights to Boozer. He will resign with other team. We end up giving away Manu for nothing