PDA

View Full Version : A happy B2B thread. Shrimp for a tire.

BacktoBasics
08-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Best fucking deal I've closed in months. They make Colossal 8-10 count look like an emaciated baby Jesus. These things were fucking huge. I love it when this guy comes around. Basically they're about 5-6 count per pound so about the size of Will Purdue's foot.

Anyway he comes around about 2-3 times a month. Happened to have a blow out right as he pulled in. We have tons of old used tires and he was in need of something because like all mobile shrimp-men he was riding around on his spare. Boss wasn't around and I know we don't keep an inventory so I traded him a used tire for two dozen shrimp.

I was already making fajitas tonight so I guess it'll be shrimp and beef fajitas.

I'm going go finish up my coffee and consider it a successful day.

Summers
08-05-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm oddly happy for you. :lol

I think I prefer the little ones. They're less fishy.

CubanMustGo
08-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Big shrimp FTW. Cooked right they're like little lobsters.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Nice. And I lol'd at "Will Perdue's foot". Very appetizing.

And you're spot on about shrimp dealers and spare tires. Last time I visited my dad's side of the family in New Orleans I tagged along with my uncle to get the seafood for a big party. The "market" was really just an abandoned lot with a dozen or so trucks and vans that these guys were selling out of, and I'll be damned if there wasn't at least one donut on every vehicle there.

JudynTX
08-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me. :tu

baseline bum
08-05-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm oddly happy for you. :lol

I think I prefer the little ones. They're less fishy.

I don't care about size (unless they're the really small ones); the important thing is that they're wild caught. I guess they're more fishy. Ffarm-raised shrimp taste like absolutely nothing to me; they're the seafood equivalent to a rice cake.

760Spursfan
08-05-2009, 03:14 PM
you came out like a champ...you gonna share with the bossman????

BacktoBasics
08-05-2009, 03:19 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/BishopRyan/shrimp002.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/BishopRyan/shrimp001.jpg

SpursWoman
08-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Good God ... I'd drive all the way down there for those. Fabulous. :tu

BacktoBasics
08-05-2009, 03:55 PM
He normally charges 7 bucks a pound. Its a good deal even if you have to pay for it.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-05-2009, 03:57 PM
He normally charges 7 bucks a pound. Its a good deal even if you have to pay for it.
damn that is a good price. they may be farm raised.

BacktoBasics
08-05-2009, 04:00 PM
damn that is a good price. they may be farm raised.Whenever I go buy bait I see his truck at the T-head where the shrimp boats are. I could be wrong but they look just like the ones sold right off the boats.

Doesn't really matter unless its complete garbage. Its 75% in how you cook it.

SpursStalker
08-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Great googley moogley ...

They look yummie ... makes me wanna do a coast trip!

:hungry:

CosmicCowboy
08-05-2009, 04:07 PM
dang...don't waste those monsters in fajitas!

timvp
08-05-2009, 04:08 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/BishopRyan/shrimp002.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/BishopRyan/shrimp001.jpg

For a split second, I thought you were competing against GiG again.

BacktoBasics
08-05-2009, 04:10 PM
dang...don't waste those monsters in fajitas!I'm not going to let them sit in the fridge just to sauteed them. He's around regularly. I dig them grilled anyway. Beef and shrimp with peppers always works for me.

BacktoBasics
08-05-2009, 04:11 PM
For a split second, I thought you were competing against GiG again.Ouch :lmao

CosmicCowboy
08-05-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm not going to let them sit in the fridge just to sauteed them. He's around regularly. I dig them grilled anyway. Beef and shrimp with peppers always works for me.

Try pulling the heads off and then peel the legs/belly off and loosening the shell but leaving it attached down the back...

dice some fresh garlic and mix it with melted butter...baste the shrimp with that getting it up inside the shell good and then hit them lightly with your favorite steak seasoning.

throw them in a bowl and pour the rest of the butter/garlic on them...leave them in the fridge for at least 30 minutes...the butter will solidify again...

Then throw those babies right on the grill out of the fridge...

It's a knockout.

BacktoBasics
08-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Try pulling the heads off and then peel the legs/belly off and loosening the shell but leaving it attached down the back...

dice some fresh garlic and mix it with melted butter...baste the shrimp with that getting it up inside the shell good and then hit them lightly with your favorite steak seasoning.

throw them in a bowl and pour the rest of the butter/garlic on them...leave them in the fridge for at least 30 minutes...the butter will solidify again...

Then throw those babies right on the grill out of the fridge...

It's a knockout.Sounds like a good plan. Easy enough. Yeah I'll do that.

CosmicCowboy
08-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Well?

I normally throw in a hand full of chiffonade fresh basil too but presumed you didn't have any...

how was it?

mrsmaalox
08-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Man those are big! I'll bet they were mahvelous.

BacktoBasics
08-06-2009, 08:38 AM
They turned out pretty good. 30 minute bath in garlic, butter and roasted mirasol peppers. Grilled up nicely. You forget how much different fresh food is compared to store bought. So much meatier and rich. Even cooked properly they're still a 10th as rubbery as the store bought stuff. I should break down and get these regularly.

I. Hustle
08-06-2009, 08:44 AM
I hope you took my advice and just threw some Ms. Dash on them and put them in a crockpot.

JudynTX
08-06-2009, 09:26 AM
you have fat wrists

WTH :lol

They turned out pretty good. 30 minute bath in garlic, butter and roasted mirasol peppers. Grilled up nicely. You forget how much different fresh food is compared to store bought. So much meatier and rich. Even cooked properly they're still a 10th as rubbery as the store bought stuff. I should break down and get these regularly.

So did you bring the leftovers to work?

BacktoBasics
08-06-2009, 10:34 AM
No leftovers.

I do not have fat wrists. They're big boned.