PDA

View Full Version : just got a mac and.....

EricB
08-05-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm trying to figure out how the hell I get windows media player on here.

The only time I use it is to listen to radio stations from SA and St Louis and Houston.

How does one get Media player onto a mac?

Thanks.

BTW, the macbook, is phenomenal. Never going back to PC...

Trainwreck2100
08-05-2009, 06:41 PM
The stations should play when you open it using IE

koriwhat
08-05-2009, 06:55 PM
fuck windows media player!

btw, i cant wait to get my macbook in like a month or so... osx is way better aint it eric?

iggypop123
08-05-2009, 07:31 PM
get divx

baseline bum
08-05-2009, 08:02 PM
You can't use VLC? VLC plays way more formats than anything other than maybe MPlayer.

Destro
08-05-2009, 08:57 PM
get the VLC player or download flip4mac

Heath Ledger
08-05-2009, 09:32 PM
You can listen to all streaming internet radio stations right from Itunes. If its not in there you can add it. You just went Mac fuck windows. Period. IF you want to run windows shit, use a pc or install Boot Camp or Parallels and use xp as you need to.

Wise choice you will love your mac. What model did you get?>

King
08-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Flip4Mac

EricB
08-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Ok I'll try those when I get home. It is the fucking shit too. I got the 13 inch 2.4 gig

absolutely awesome to be able to do transactions online and not have to worry about some cocksucking hacker getting my info.

EricB
08-06-2009, 01:01 AM
I spoke too soon about the computer.
The battery isn't charging!!! ARGGGG :pctoss

No clue WHY either!

ElNono
08-06-2009, 08:03 AM
I spoke too soon about the computer.
The battery isn't charging!!! ARGGGG :pctoss

No clue WHY either!

Go to an Apple store and get an appointment in that Genius bar... they'll either tell you or replace it for you on the spot...

And yeah, get Flip4Mac and optionally Perian... just google them.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Ok I'll try those when I get home. It is the fucking shit too. I got the 13 inch 2.4 gig

absolutely awesome to be able to do transactions online and not have to worry about some cocksucking hacker getting my info.

i don't think anything is hack proof.

ElNono
08-06-2009, 01:14 PM
i don't think anything is hack proof.

You think correctly. The real question is who would spend time and money to try to hack TPark's system...

Dex
08-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Good suggestions in this thread.

1. Download and install the Flip4Mac plugin from Microsoft, which will allow your Quicktime Player and browsers play .wmv content. Download VNC Player to play stand-alone video files of just about any other content.

2. For the battery issue, go to the Apple menu, then About This Mac, then More Info.

Inside of System Profiler under Hardware, go to the Power section. Under Battery Information, make sure that Battery Installed shows Yes, and see if Charging shows Yes when plugged into AC power.

Check the Full-Charge Capacity and the Charge Remaining. CR should go up as the unit is being charged. Also, make sure the Magsafe Adapter is securely connected, and maybe even try another power outlet.

If the battery isn't being recognized or isn't accepting a charge, call 800.APL.CARE to set up a MailIn or make an appointment at the Apple Store. If anything needs to be replaced, it will all be covered by Limited Warranty. If it's a white Macbook, then they can just replace the battery. If it's one of the new aluminum Macbooks with the integrated battery, they'll need to service the unit.

Also, if you experience a hardware issue that requires service within the first 30 days, you can push for a replacement.

3. No computer's security is impenetrable, but keep your Firewall services running and you'll be fine. Aside from the added security, most hackers, at least up to this point, haven't been concerned about hacking the Mac because it's such a small market share. Data corruption can happen with any computer, but I've been troubleshooting Mac issues for years and have yet to come across a single "virus".

ElNono
08-06-2009, 01:29 PM
I will add that if your data is so valuable, more than concerning yourself with a virus or snooping on the mac, get yourself a cheap external USB drive, set it up with time machine, and let it back up at least once a day. The initial backup takes some time, but after that, the incremental backups are fairly quick and painless.
If your internal drive dies, you can restore the entire machine from that backup.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-06-2009, 01:31 PM

What exactly makes you think a Mac is hack-proof??

ElNono
08-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Not hack-proof, but compared to windows it's fucking Fort Knox...

Dex
08-06-2009, 01:39 PM
http://news.cnet.com/2100-7349_3-6178131.html

Proof that Macs aren't necessarily hack proof.

It just takes a conference of hackers, all with the intent of hacking two standard Macs with no addtional security software, two days and a relaxing of the "rules" to crack the code. And in this case, you still had to visit a malicious site.

Not perfect, but nothing is. Still a hell of a lot better than Winblows security.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Not hack-proof, but compared to windows it's fucking Fort Knox...

never said windows was better. I'm just saying he shouldn't be under the impression his info is completely safe. Anything can be hacked

ElNono
08-06-2009, 02:11 PM
never said windows was better. I'm just saying he shouldn't be under the impression his info is completely safe. Anything can be hacked

Don't forget you have an appointment with your dentist at 5...
:lol

ClingingMars
08-08-2009, 11:04 PM
It's not "hack proof", but its lightyears ahead of Vista and hackers don't give a shit about it, which gives Mac users the advantage

EricB
08-09-2009, 04:45 PM
This mac is fantastic.

In the conversion you have to get used to where some things are but its AMAZING at how FAST applications run!

Its also really nice buying stuff online today and not having to worrying about someone reading the credit card number and stealing it.

Love me some Apple! :tu

SonOfAGun
08-09-2009, 07:51 PM
lol, That placebo peace of hack-free mind cost a lot.

baseline bum
08-09-2009, 08:20 PM
It ain't a placebo. To loosely quote Alan Kay (the person who invented GUIs, graphical operating systems, and object-oriented programming) Windows Vista is like the pyramids: a terrible structure built by brute force with overwhelming amounts of labor.

koriwhat
08-09-2009, 09:53 PM
all i gotta say it's nice not to get the "you have a virus on your computer... download xp antivirus 2009 now to clean your pc!" and all the other bs you get from activeX and whatnot. fuck PC's! or better yet, FUCK WINDOWS!

ElNono
08-09-2009, 10:01 PM
lol, That placebo peace of hack-free mind cost a lot.

At least he ain't making a 'Windows just completely took a shit on me' thread. Something must be working on that end.