PDA

View Full Version : Cornyn calls out Obama on "fishy" speech

DarrinS
08-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Cornyn's letter to Obama (http://cornyn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ForPress.NewsReleases&ContentRecord_id=ebc2c77d-802a-23ad-4ae4-6ccf4c7a255c&Region_id=&Issue_id=)

Dear President Obama,

I write to express my concern about a new White House program to monitor American citizens' speech opposing your health care policies, and to seek your assurances that this program is being carried out in a manner consistent with the First Amendment and America's tradition of free speech and public discourse.

Yesterday, in an official White House release entitled "Facts are Stubborn Things," the White House Director of New Media, Macon Phillips, asserted that there was "a lot of disinformation out there," and encouraged citizens to report "fishy" speech opposing your health care policies to the White House. Phillips specifically targeted private, unpublished, even casual speech, writing that "rumors often travel just below the surface via chain emails or through casual conversation." Phillips wrote "If you get an email or see something on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy, send it to [email protected]."

I am not aware of any precedent for a President asking American citizens to report their fellow citizens to the White House for pure political speech that is deemed "fishy" or otherwise inimical to the White House's political interests.

By requesting that citizens send "fishy" emails to the White House, it is inevitable that the names, email addresses, IP addresses, and private speech of U.S. citizens will be reported to the White House. You should not be surprised that these actions taken by your White House staff raise the specter of a data collection program. As Congress debates health care reform and other critical policy matters, citizen engagement must not be chilled by fear of government monitoring the exercise of free speech rights.

I can only imagine the level of justifiable outrage had your predecessor asked Americans to forward emails critical of his policies to the White House. I suspect that you would have been leading the charge in condemning such a program-and I would have been at your side denouncing such heavy-handed government action.

So I urge you to cease this program immediately. At the very least, I request that you detail to Congress and the public the protocols that your White House is following to purge the names, email addresses, IP addresses, and identities of citizens who are reported to have engaged in "fishy" speech. And I respectfully request an answer to the following:

How do you intend to use the names, email addresses, IP addresses, and identities of citizens who are reported to have engaged in "fishy" speech?

How do you intend to notify citizens who have been reported for "fishy" speech?

What action do you intend to take against citizens who have been reported for engaging in "fishy" speech?

Do your own past statements qualify as "disinformation"? For example, is it "disinformation" to note that in 2003 you said:"I happen to be a proponent of a single-payer universal health care plan"?
I look forward to your prompt response.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN

United States Senator

George Gervin's Afro
08-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Cornyn's letter to Obama (http://cornyn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ForPress.NewsReleases&ContentRecord_id=ebc2c77d-802a-23ad-4ae4-6ccf4c7a255c&Region_id=&Issue_id=)

Didn't he complain about the Right Wing extremists report that came out? How'd that work for you John?

LnGrrrR
08-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Again, why are Republicans concerned about data collection NOW?...Would they rather Obama just had the CIA inspect this all privately? :D

George Gervin's Afro
08-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Again, why are Republicans concerned about data collection NOW?...Would they rather Obama just had the CIA inspect this all privately? :D

They were against information being collected on private citizens before they were for it..

boutons_deux
08-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Did Cornyn write dubya when the NYC police went all over America (they worked for "America's Mayor", does that mean they are "America's Police?) to monitor anti-Repug/anti-war "terrorist" groups prior to the 2004 Repub convention in NYC? Fuck no.

Bender
08-06-2009, 09:18 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zDKAHGIXQ74/SXIhmAeMJoI/AAAAAAAABpY/DY5ZWdPogPU/s320/head-in-sand.jpg

DarrinS
08-06-2009, 09:22 AM
:cheer Yay Obama! He can do no wrong! :cheer

Winehole23
08-06-2009, 09:39 AM
You're about the only one who says so.

101A
08-06-2009, 09:41 AM
It's almost unbelievable.

Bush spies on the American people.

Obama asks Americans to report on their fellow citizens.

Americans?

Bitch about what the OTHER guy is doing!

Hey everybody: YOUR GOVERNMENT (not the other guy's government) IS HABITUALLY DOING THINGS THAT OUGHT TO CAUSE YOU TO, AT THE VERY LEAST, RAISE YOUR EYEBROWS!!!!

Just because it is somebody you voted for doesn't mean you ought to not pay attention; and because the previous guy did it, doesn't make it right, now - it makes it a tradition!

Rogue
08-06-2009, 09:58 AM
I don't see any fishy speech capable of having any actual impact on the House or the government, someones are just being too sensitive and what's sad is, their excessive sensitivity may eventually ruin our belief of free speech which makes America a different country than any other one on the earth.

ChumpDumper
08-06-2009, 10:02 AM
What a bunch of whining pussies.

clambake
08-06-2009, 10:10 AM
What a bunch of whining pussies.

i think we're supposed to call them anti-american traitors, due to recent history.

DarrinS
08-06-2009, 10:12 AM
i think we're supposed to call them anti-american traitors, due to recent history.

You mean fake traitors.

clambake
08-06-2009, 10:14 AM
You mean fake traitors.

so they're faking, huh.

yes, many of them are.

i'm guessing manufactured fear motivates the rest. thats what works on you guys.

doobs
08-06-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm not that concerned about the privacy issue here.

But this is further evidence of how petty and thin-skinned this administration can be.

clambake
08-06-2009, 10:22 AM
But this is further evidence of how petty and thin-skinned this administration can be.

maybe they want to get everything out in the open......or would you prefer some more WMD evidence?

doobs
08-06-2009, 10:26 AM
maybe they want to get everything out in the open......or would you prefer some more WMD evidence?

Would you give Obama a blowjob if he asked you to? You know, for the good of the country and stuff?

clambake
08-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Would you give Obama a blowjob if he asked you to? You know, for the good of the country and stuff?

:lmao do you also wear "Obsession"?

Spurminator
08-06-2009, 10:31 AM
It's a fair letter. Yes, it's convenient that Republicans are suddenly outraged by this sort of thing, and yes it's convenient that Democrats are willing to defend it, but all of that aside, I think Cornyn's concerns are fair, politically motivated as they may be.

The White House should not be asking citizens to tattle on each other. They should be providing an easily accessable guide/FAQ to the Health Care plan and encourage citizens to use this guide to refute false or unfair claims. Sort of a government-sponsored Snopes.com if you will. Put the power to debate in the hands of the people.

Now back to your regularly scheduled cheerleading.

DarrinS
08-06-2009, 10:35 AM
it's a fair letter. Yes, it's convenient that republicans are suddenly outraged by this sort of thing, and yes it's convenient that democrats are willing to defend it, but all of that aside, i think cornyn's concerns are fair, politically motivated as they may be.

The white house should not be asking citizens to tattle on each other. They should be providing an easily accessable guide/faq to the health care plan and encourage citizens to use this guide to refute false or unfair claims. Sort of a government-sponsored snopes.com if you will. Put the power to debate in the hands of the people.

+1

doobs
08-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Yes, I would fellate Obama, no matter what the reason

clambake
08-06-2009, 10:36 AM
it's ok to come out doobs. you guys should form a support group.

LnGrrrR
08-06-2009, 10:41 AM
It's almost unbelievable.

Bush spies on the American people.

Obama asks Americans to report on their fellow citizens.

Americans?

Bitch about what the OTHER guy is doing!

Hey everybody: YOUR GOVERNMENT (not the other guy's government) IS HABITUALLY DOING THINGS THAT OUGHT TO CAUSE YOU TO, AT THE VERY LEAST, RAISE YOUR EYEBROWS!!!!

Just because it is somebody you voted for doesn't mean you ought to not pay attention; and because the previous guy did it, doesn't make it right, now - it makes it a tradition!

Don't look at me. I bitched about Bush doing it, and I bitch about Obama doing it. :) I'm just amused by the people on this site who suddenly discovered that it might be bad to have the government collect information on people.

Aren't these the same people who said that people shouldn't have anything to fear if they didn't do anything wrong?

LnGrrrR
08-06-2009, 10:43 AM
It's a fair letter. Yes, it's convenient that Republicans are suddenly outraged by this sort of thing, and yes it's convenient that Democrats are willing to defend it, but all of that aside, I think Cornyn's concerns are fair, politically motivated as they may be.

The White House should not be asking citizens to tattle on each other. They should be providing an easily accessable guide/FAQ to the Health Care plan and encourage citizens to use this guide to refute false or unfair claims. Sort of a government-sponsored Snopes.com if you will. Put the power to debate in the hands of the people.

I'm guessing that's what this setup was for in the first place. To take actual letters so the WH knows what rumors are going around. That was they can focus their efforts on debunking the popular memes.

101A
08-06-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm just amused by the people on this site who suddenly discovered that it might be bad to have the government collect information on people.

Aren't these the same people who said that people shouldn't have anything to fear if they didn't do anything wrong?

Fair enough; but when it goes beyond amusement; and to completely focussing on the hypocricy of the "other" side; well, at that point we have taken our eye off the ball.

doobs
08-06-2009, 10:50 AM
it's ok to come out doobs. you guys should form a support group.

It's funny. I call the administration thin-skinned, and you---one of his supporters---are thin-skinned enough to come out, guns blazing, defending Obama and his administration as interested in truth, justice, and the American way.

I wonder if the administration would ever do something like this to a critic. Surely they would never stoop and engage in some hearty mudslinging . . . I mean, this is the office of the President, right?

Oh wait---Jim Cramer, Rick Santelli, Rush, "teabaggers."

And who can forget the New Yorker cartoon, which wasn't even critical of him?

clambake
08-06-2009, 10:59 AM
It's funny. I call the administration thin-skinned, and you---one of his supporters---are thin-skinned enough to come out, guns blazing, defending Obama and his administration as interested in truth, justice, and the American way.
:lol @ guns blazing. i said "maybe". ever heard of that word?

I wonder if the administration would ever do something like this to a critic. Surely they would never stoop and engage in some hearty mudslinging . . . I mean, this is the office of the President, right?
i thought you guys want him to address your fears. did you change your mind?

Oh wait---Jim Cramer, Rick Santelli, Rush, "teabaggers."
fox ticker. don't misunderstand.....i watch fox all the time, and they only want this country to collapse. go team

And who can forget the New Yorker cartoon, which wasn't even critical of him?
are you talking about the cops that shoot the monkey?

TheProfessor
08-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Eh, there's not much of a defense to muster for this kind of stupidity. Yeah, people are hypocrites, but it doesn't change how foolish this was.

Spurminator
08-06-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm guessing that's what this setup was for in the first place. To take actual letters so the WH knows what rumors are going around. That was they can focus their efforts on debunking the popular memes.

Sure, but you don't have to have emails forwarded to gather those rumors. Set up a website where people can paste the content of the questionable emails, and if a single email is showing up a lot, the White House can release a rebuttal.

Really, I don't really think there's anything sinister at work here. Whoever released the statement probably just thought it would be easier for people to forward an email than to go through a more detailed process of copying and pasting. But I think the White House has to be more careful about how this comes off, and I think it's good to ask that they clarify in detail that this is not a means of gathering names of dissenters.

clambake
08-06-2009, 11:08 AM
"i'm afraid they're going to round us up."

Viva Las Espuelas
08-06-2009, 11:28 AM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/2/23/IT-O_negtd.jpg/250px-IT-O_negtd.jpg

Wild Cobra
08-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Probably because the democrats starting the Red Scare the lead to the Hollywood Black List, etc. In the name of rooting out communism, when it started looking bad, they managed to blame it all on a republican named McCarthy.

Isn't this similar?

Collect names and investigate... What's next... congressional hearing?

LnGrrrR
08-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Probably because the democrats starting the Red Scare the lead to the Hollywood Black List, etc. In the name of rooting out communism, when it started looking bad, they managed to blame it all on a republican named McCarthy.

Isn't this similar?

Collect names and investigate... What's next... congressional hearing?

Well, you're older than I I'm guessing WC... I don't have direct experience with that.

My point is that you should either be for widespread information collection, or against it. One shouldn't choose sides based on the party that's collecting it.

Ya Vez
08-06-2009, 01:31 PM
gathering information about potential terrorist attacks is a little different then gathering information about people who are against a health care policy...

ChumpDumper
08-06-2009, 01:32 PM

Isn't this similar?

Collect names and investigate... What's next... congressional hearing?Obama's gonna get you!

Boo!

clambake
08-06-2009, 01:32 PM
...or just saying that's what you're gathering.

LnGrrrR
08-06-2009, 01:40 PM
gathering information about potential terrorist attacks is a little different then gathering information about people who are against a health care policy...

The way that they gather information about terrorists allows people uninvolved with terrorism to be caught up in their net too though. In fact, they could get the 'fishy' emails the same way, if they just changed it from "terrorists" to "healthcare" lol.

Wild Cobra
08-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Yep. It's very different.

Terrorist... Collect data to protect this nation.

Citizen... Collect data on free speech to intimidate. If not intimidate, then what for?

ChumpDumper
08-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Why would anyone feel intimidated?

All I see is a bunch of innuendo. If you have tangible fears, spit them out.

George Gervin's Afro
08-06-2009, 01:51 PM

your side is taking this more seriously than you did the war and everything that went along with it.

ChumpDumper
08-06-2009, 01:54 PM
No shit. I think at worst the new media office would spam the mailing lists on those emails to try to correct what it sees as mis- or disinformation -- but the board Republicans never pass up on a chance to act oppressed.

Wild Cobra
08-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Well, you're older than I I'm guessing WC... I don't have direct experience with that.

My point is that you should either be for widespread information collection, or against it. One shouldn't choose sides based on the party that's collecting it.
Well, I'm not that old. I did allot of reading on the Venona Project (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venona_project). It vindicated Joe McCarthy, and wasn't declassified until I think 1992.

Had history classes on McCarthyism? History blamed him when he was just a senator, and chair of the Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_Homeland_Security_Permanent_S ubcommittee_on_Investigations) 1953 to 1954. His work during the Red Scare was looking for government employees who were spies. Not civilians. Since he had some interesting quotes to repeat, he became the face of those depriving citizens of their rights, even though he had no part in the House Committee on Un-American Activities (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HUAC) which was run by democrats more times than republicans. Democrat John Stephens Wood was chairman 1949–1953. This is when most the damage was done.

If you actually do a little research, McCarthy was a senator and had nothing to do with the House of Representative hearing, where the the contempt of congress was cited causing the Hollywood Blacklisting.

HUAC Chair:

Democrat Martin Dies Jr. 1938–1944
Democrat Edward J. Hart 1945-1946
Republican John Parnell Thomas 1947–1948
Democrat John Stephens Wood 1949–1953
Republican Harold Himmel Velde 1953–1955
democrat Francis Walter 1955–1965
Democrat Edwin Edward Willis 1965–1969
Democrat Richard Howard Ichord Jr. 1969–1975

Wild Cobra
08-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Here's an exchange with Cornyn on the Fox morning show. He starts at about 6:15 in:

ZFlR2FX_6Ao

gtownspur
08-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Obama wouldn't have to round up the dissenters. Just audit them with the IRS.

boutons_deux
08-06-2009, 07:42 PM
"then what for"

to counter the Repug hate bullshit.

Yonivore
08-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Okay, I've got a question for the Obama-cock-suckers in here.
How can he claim this is all disinformation if he hasn't even bothered to read the legislation?

And, by mobilizing his minions, via the lefty blogs and his White House Communications office, to combat this "misinformation," isn't he engaging in the very practice -- "astroturfing" -- that seems to be the allegation du jour of the left?

Will we be able to keep our private insurance and our doctors?

Will the health care bill eventually lead to a single-payer system?

Does the bill seem to favor end-of-life palliative care over aggressive life-saving measures as a means to ration expensive therapies?

Will the government now pay for abortions?

People have pointed to passages, in the bill, that seem to suggest this is exactly what will happen. All we get from the administration and Democrats is that it's disinformation. No one bothers to read the fucking bill and explain how it means something different than what is being reported.

clambake
08-06-2009, 10:03 PM
yoni likes cock.

Jacob1983
08-06-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm starting to believe that it's possible that Obama is a closet communist. Obama just keeps on making Bush look pretty good right now. Bush was a bad-ass. Obama's a pussy. Bam!

hope4dopes
08-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Well not many liberals on this board just a bunch facsist with blue shirts instead of brown trying to peddle bullshit like their leader.

This isn't "collecting information" what a sorry ass lie.This was done to simply intimidate people, to threaten the people with the power of the state from speaking out.Despite hype Obama is nothing more than a thug from a city of party machine thugs. He and emmanuel both are neanderthals who go around sending dead fish through the mail and strong arming political enemies. You can see it in Obama when he doesn't get his way he becomes angry and bullying.He is not a statesman he's a thug.
This was a public statement to the people a very public statement so they get they message...Fuck You don't get in my way.We have a a man in the whitehouse and a party in power who've legitamized racisim now they want to legitamize facisim. It is no wonder why Obama is so comfortable around people like Chavez, and Ortega. it is no wonder he remains silent while the democracy movement is brutalized into submission in Iran, it's no wonder he spits on the people of honduras when they try to preserve their constituion and their republic.
As for you supporters and apoligists of this obamination you can't pretend your democrats anymore Obama has pulled you into facisim and everone sees it.
Please tell me of another republic on this planet where the head of state is asking citizens to act as brown shirts and apparatchicks for the state.This is a terrifying precident for not only this republic but republics through out the world.

clambake
08-07-2009, 12:09 AM
uh oh.

Jacob1983
08-07-2009, 12:24 AM
hope4dopes, excellent post. I hate Obama's attitude. He has this attitude of "hey, I'm black, you can't talk shit about me or criticize me because if you do then you're a racist". It's so lame and a pussy move. Obama is dividing America way more than Bush ever did.

ChumpDumper
08-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Board Republicans have lost their minds. They have nothing on their minds but communism/fascism (same thing to them) and sucking cock.

ChumpDumper
08-07-2009, 01:52 AM
This isn't "collecting information" what a sorry ass lie.This was done to simply intimidate people, to threaten the people with the power of the state from speaking out.Threaten them with what?

What exactly is the threat here?

Why are you shitting your pants over this?

boutons_deux
08-07-2009, 04:44 AM
Threats?

"hey, I'm black, you can't talk shit about me or criticize"

And you wrongie assholes try to convince anybody that that the screaming, intimidating thugs and mobs disrupting and shutting down health reform town halls is innocent and spontaneous grass roots?

It's the same hate-media and Repug orgs that organized the fizzled tea parties that are organizing and financing the thugs

If the Repugs can't get win at the ballot box nor in Congress, their aim is to destroy.

boutons_deux
08-07-2009, 05:02 AM

LnGrrrR
08-07-2009, 07:38 AM
hope4dopes, excellent post. I hate Obama's attitude. He has this attitude of "hey, I'm black, you can't talk shit about me or criticize me because if you do then you're a racist". It's so lame and a pussy move. Obama is dividing America way more than Bush ever did.

LMAO

I'm not sure what the above is called... it's not quite projection, but something similar.

Nbadan
08-07-2009, 02:36 PM
So....who have the Socialist rounded up and intimidated?

Wild Cobra
08-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Obama wouldn't have to round up the dissenters. Just audit them with the IRS.
Yes, but it's handy to know who they are before they go public, so you have their tax records, court records, etc. at hand to discredit them.

Wild Cobra
08-07-2009, 03:38 PM
So....who have the Socialist rounded up and intimidated?
Who knows. This whole thing absolutely stings.

Hey... anyone turn me in yet?

George Gervin's Afro
08-07-2009, 03:47 PM

you would have to relevent to be turned in. your just a low level propagandist..

TheProfessor
08-07-2009, 03:48 PM

Don't worry, my secret cabal decided you were a top priority. We just wanted to make sure DarrinS was taken care of first.

spurster
08-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Cornyn is a clown. That said, the Obama media should be clear about their intentions.