PDA

View Full Version : Ian Mahinmi In France to help National Team

le13
08-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Ian mahinmi is coming to France with TP to reinforce the French Squad.

Offcial statement by Eurosport today!

DJB
08-06-2009, 10:09 AM
That fucking sucks.

samikeyp
08-06-2009, 10:10 AM
He wasn't on the team before?

le13
08-06-2009, 10:12 AM
No he was in SA actually.. Just have been called today!!!

Why does it sucks? I think it is a good experience for him to go.. And Pop will have a look on his performance for sure. It could help him make a decision whether or not he will put him into the roaster this coming season.

hater
08-06-2009, 10:14 AM
this is good.

if dude gets injured Spurs will know for sure he is a damn bust and can concentrate on getting a big with plenty of time.

Stump
08-06-2009, 10:15 AM
If he gets playing time, this would be good for Ian. Before summer league, he hadn't played a single game in a year, so playing for his national team could help shake some of the rust off.

Dex
08-06-2009, 10:16 AM
this is good.

if dude gets injured Spurs will know for sure he is a damn bust and can concentrate on getting a big with plenty of time.

Agreed.

Initially, I don't like it because I'm worried about one thing and one thing only: he's going to go over there, get injured, and be out to start the season again.

Frankly though, if that does happen, I think they just need to mark him down as a china doll and move on.

ducks
08-06-2009, 10:16 AM
it sucks if he gets hurt
but he could actually use more game playing time since he has been not playing in a long time except for summer league

jag
08-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Why was Ian not initially chosen to play for the French squad?

timaios
08-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Why was Ian not initially chosen to play for the French squad?

Because he didn't play for 1 year !

jag
08-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Fair enough.

le13
08-06-2009, 10:57 AM
So finally everybody agree :flag:

rjv
08-06-2009, 11:08 AM
So finally everybody agree :flag:

until he gets hurt that is.

Bruno
08-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Good news.

French NT will stay in Pau (a french town) for more than a week. Ian will be able to practice against some quality players.

He has also a legit shot of getting some playing time. Most of the French NT bigmen are far from great. Pietrus has been great and Turiaf solid but the rest (Koffi, Petro and Traoré) have been quite bad.

Bruno
08-06-2009, 11:16 AM
No he was in SA actually.. Just have been called today!!!

Ian was in France one week ago to watch the NT playing in Paris. There were still some talk about him joining them. I quite doubt he went back to SA during this week.

jb4g
08-06-2009, 11:20 AM
I say he was sent by CIA pop to keep an eye on TP.

or, maybe CIA pop made a deal with the gods that if anymore injuries would occur it would be to ian and not tp.

im just speculating here

weebo
08-06-2009, 11:21 AM
This should be good for Ian. He can build from his solid showing in SL and gain confidence in his game heading into the start of the season. Playing against better competition will also show Pop and co. where he is at physically and mentally.

benefactor
08-06-2009, 11:25 AM
This is definitely a good thing. He needs all the court time he can get, no matter where it is. All this does is make him more game ready going into the preseason.

Danny.Zhu
08-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I don't want Tony to play for France again, especially when Peter Holt has contributed so much for this year.

timaios
08-06-2009, 11:48 AM
I don't want Tony to play for France again, especially when Peter Holt has contributed so much for this year.

You can't always get what you want. :toast

bigbendbruisebrother
08-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Let French fragile ankle fest 2009 begin anew.

benefactor
08-06-2009, 11:54 AM
That's nice. So how do you feel about Ian...since the thread is about him.

sonic21
08-06-2009, 11:56 AM
good news

Solid D
08-06-2009, 11:56 AM
It will, sort of, be like playing Toronto. :smokin

Bambililos
08-06-2009, 11:58 AM
I would be surprised if Ian played the competition games: I know the interior department isn't great but he hasn't played for a while...
Anyway it's a good thing for everyone: he's gonna practice with them, get along with the team because he'll play for Les Bleus in years to come and get into rhythm for next season with the spurs.

Solid D
08-06-2009, 12:01 PM
I would be surprised if Ian played the competition games: I know the interior department isn't great but he hasn't played for a while...
Anyway it's a good thing for everyone: he's gonna practice with them, get along with the team because he'll play for Les Bleus in years to come and get into rhythm for next season with the spurs.

French NT needs Ian's free throw shooting.

Walton Buys Off Me
08-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Mahinmi really isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

No big deal- more minutes for Blair.

JP le Requin
08-06-2009, 12:10 PM
he was at the game of france vs hongrie...i have pictures...

45 bank shot
08-06-2009, 12:19 PM
what? I thought Tony wouldn't play another game this summer

Darkwaters
08-06-2009, 12:27 PM
If he gets playing time, this would be good for Ian. Before summer league, he hadn't played a single game in a year, so playing for his national team could help shake some of the rust off.

Bingo. Any playing time is good playing time at this point. I'm more concerned with Mahinmi's level of play than injuries right now. We have 7 bigs so if he goes down then we're still fine. But if he rolls into the season and sucks (for lack of playing time) then he doesn't play anyways. The PT is much needed at this point.

Brazil
08-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Best of that would be playing time with TP, it will be good for him when back in SA he will have to fight for minutes in the pop system

angelbelow
08-06-2009, 12:51 PM
I was excited when i heard this news. this is a great great opportunity for Ian. He'll be able to shake off more rust.

CGD
08-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Great opportunity for Ian. I'm actually eager to see how he plays.

spursfan1000
08-06-2009, 01:23 PM
It would be great if he preforms well there and dosen't get injured.

Spur|n|Austin
08-06-2009, 01:53 PM
That's nice. So how do you feel about Ian...since the thread is about him.

:lol

Mark in Austin
08-06-2009, 01:56 PM
:lol probably good for Ian to shake off some more rust, but I can't help but think the French NT has been talking to Tau about how to screw the Spurs...

ulosturedge
08-06-2009, 02:03 PM
All of the sudden our whole team is made of glass...? He is what 22? He needs all the experience he can get. Injuries are apart of the game get over it.

Spurs Brazil
08-06-2009, 03:12 PM
That's good news

Ian need to play a lot. He has been of a whole year, the more he plays the better he'll do

bigdog
08-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Ian definitely needs the playing time. Now, if he gets injured, that would suck, but the PT is much needed, so I'm fine with this.

Texas_Ranger
08-06-2009, 03:31 PM
I really hope he plays good, but if he gets injured ship his ass out of San Antonio!

kace
08-06-2009, 04:18 PM
All of the sudden our whole team is made of glass...? He is what 22? He needs all the experience he can get. Injuries are apart of the game get over it.

exactly. all these talk about injuries are annoying. let the players play. the manu situation has made everybody paranoiac. and at this time of the year, even a injury wouldn't be so dramatic for the spurs. still plenty of time to recover.

duncan228
08-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Mahinmi to Join National Team (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/)
by Timothy Varner
48 Minutes of Hell

Tony Parker has rejoined the French National Team after being recalled to San Antonio for a medical examination and short rehab stint. In his absence, the team lost Joakim Noah to Chicago (as planned) and upset the Italian team. So long as they perform well against Finland, the French are in prime position to advance.

This is all good news for the team, we have reason to pay close attention over the coming weeks. The French team features Parker and Nando De Colo, each of whom have a future with the Spurs organization. And now, according to reports (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.basketfrance.com%2F_e df%2Fpage_m.php%3Fd%3Dactu%26p%3Dactu%26id%3D5388&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8), it will feature Ian Mahinmi.

Ian Mahinmi is set to join his countrymen for the balance of international competition. Even if he only practices with the team, this will be a great boost for his offseason training routine.

Obviously, the Spurs and their fans get a little anxious because of the possibility of injury to Parker and/or their project bigman. But this is a perfect opportunity for Mahinmi to extend his strong summer league play and continue to shake off the rust after the lost, injury-plagued 08-09 season.

Count me in with those who hope that Mahinmi is able to play heavy minutes with the NT in advance of Spurs training camp. If we’re lucky, he and Parker will find opportunity to sharpen their two-man game. Parker’s vote of confidence is certain to curry favor with Coach Popovich. One assumes Parker has already cast his vote in the hearing of Coach Collet.

Collet comments (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.basketfrance.com%2F_e df%2Fpage_m.php%3Fd%3Dactu%26p%3Dactu%26id%3D5388&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8): “I decided before the match against Italy to call Ian Mahinmi. I was prompted to make this choice due to the problems of tendonitis Ronny Turiaf. The latter seems to have fully recovered. However, it seems interesting to integrate quickly Ian and create some competition in this sector of the game (inside). I am very pleased with the return of Tony with us today in training. We must return quickly in the preparation and focus to address the best possible match against Finland, it will certainly not be taken lightly.”

Tony Parker, Nando De Colo, and Ian Mahinmi. That’s three reasons to watch.

Russ
08-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Good news. This may be the exception to the rule that the Spurs don't want their players on the national team.

They'll have few opportunities to evaluate Mahinmi between now and October 31 when they need to decide whether to exercise his '10-'11 option. This could be a big chance to take a look at him.

ulosturedge
08-06-2009, 08:38 PM
This game is on Saturday @ 7pm? What time est is this suppose to be?

ulosturedge
08-06-2009, 08:50 PM
nvm I figured it out. That game is @19:00 bst which is 1pm cnt.

Admidave50
08-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Good news for France, it can also help Spurs see if he's not injury prone...

Typhoon
08-06-2009, 09:27 PM
French NT :lmao:lmao

did they ever won anything?, I mean they put OK teams there and now but they suck.

unaccomplished teams don't deserve a thread before the magnificence of the Spurs.

Brazil
08-06-2009, 11:24 PM

did they ever won anything?, I mean they put OK teams there and now but they suck.

unaccomplished teams don't deserve a thread before the magnificence of the Spurs.

:lmao priceless post

angelbelow
08-07-2009, 01:42 AM

One of the worse posts I've ever seen.

le13
08-07-2009, 03:48 AM

Poor guy.... really poor guy... and he is a spurfan.. We should try to clean some rust in our Fan roaster as well :downspin:

Bruno
08-07-2009, 05:08 AM
Ian doesn't practice with the NT for the moment because insurance paperworks haven't been finalized. It should go quickly so he has a chance to be cleared by Saturday for the game against Finland.

JPB
08-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Collet also called Ian because Finland is tall. I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to cut another guard (Diot maybe) to put Ian in the roster.

Bruno
08-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Ian hasn't been cleared to practice today so he won't play with the NT against Finland tomorrow.

ivanfromwestwood
08-07-2009, 06:04 PM
how can we watch these games bruno? i need a basketball fix asap. october cant come soon enough.

Thompson
08-07-2009, 06:17 PM
how can we watch these games bruno? i need a basketball fix asap. october cant come soon enough.

+1 I'm going stir crazy right now.

Bruno
08-07-2009, 06:19 PM

Last time, I posted a streaming link to follow the game few minutes before it.
If I find one for tomorrow game, I will post it too on ST. I'm not sure there will be one because it isn't a as big game as against Italy and because there will have some soccer games at the same time.

The game will start at 1:00pm CST tomorrow.

Rodriguez
08-07-2009, 06:23 PM
For Ian, it's obviously a sweet journey through which he will gain some confidence and experience from tough games, while fatigue and the potential injuries caused by fatigue will be the only things Tony may be gifted.

ivanfromwestwood
08-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Last time, I posted a streaming link to follow the game few minutes before it.
If I find one for tomorrow game, I will post it too on ST. I'm not sure there will be one because it isn't a as big game as against Italy and because there will have some soccer games at the same time.

The game will start at 1:00pm CST tomorrow.thanks.im excited to see nando, ian and tony.

kace
08-08-2009, 05:24 AM
well, i'll post here what TP said about Mahinmi with the french NT in his interview. (already posted in the Tp's interview thread).

TP said he thought Ian was brought in the NTfor some strecht, for 5-6 minutes where he could bring his energy, defense, blocked shots and stuff like that. He said that it's good because that's what the spurs are waiting from him this year. tony said Ian has a good SL and now need to work well in training camp in order to earn some minutes in the very loaded spurs roster.

wonder if and how many minutes he will see in the others games after tonight.