PDA

View Full Version : Groups coordinate Obama opposition

George Gervin's Afro
08-06-2009, 02:28 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0809/25873.html

Groups coordinate Obama opposition

Tags:Barack Obama, Republicans, Health Care Reform, Glenn Beck, Town Halls, Fox News Back to top Listen Print Comment Email Recommend Subscribe By MIKE ALLEN | 8/6/09 2:12 PM EDT Text Size- + reset

Conservative and business groups are mobilizing members and supporters to participate in health-care forums.

Conservative and business groups, some funded in part by insurers, are mobilizing members and supporters to participate in health care forums that lawmakers are holding in their states and districts this month.

Congressional town halls are typically sleepy and sparsely attended. But passion about President Barack Obama’s health reform plan is drawing hundreds of people to raucous gatherings, with Democratic officials portraying the crowds as “angry mobs.”

Some of the outpouring appears to be spontaneous, or encouraged by Glenn Beck of Fox News. But much of it is being encouraged by Washington-based groups that are devoting considerable online resources to encouraging turnout. Some of the groups even supply supporters with scripts and “talking points.”

A White House official said the president’s side will benefit from coverage of the chaos.

“We’re not looking shrill,” the official said. “The opposition looks shrill and not interested in talking but interested in screaming. When did the American people prefer screaming over talking?”

As part of the town hall turnout drive, Americans for Tax Reform offers an “Obama Spin Translator: Taking the Propaganda Out of Health Care Newspeak.”

“Over the August recess, Congressmen will be holding town halls on health care,” the document says. “There’s likely to be a lot of spin and doubletalk from very nervous Democrat members. We’ve assembled a dictionary to help you wade through the rhetoric and understand the real impact of health care ‘reform.’”

Grover Norquist, the group’s president, said one of the group’s most important current missions is “sending material out to activists on how to ask the interesting, tough questions.

“Conservative groups are all out there saying: ‘Here are the questions to ask,’” Norquist said. “We’re getting them informed questions, and the backup for it, and then sending it out to the radio talks shows. We’re making sure our team feels comfortable that they know the facts.

“Any politician worth his salt — or a comedian — loves being heckled by a guy who’s drunk and slightly addled,” Norquist added. “The problem is, our guys get up and say, ‘You should read the bill,’ and everybody applauds. ‘This is going to lead to two tax increases,’ and everybody applauds. These YouTubes are of the general audience, applauding some guy’s tough question.”

America’s Health Insurance Plans, the national association representing 1,300 health insurers, is out with “August Recess Talking Points” that assert a “government-run plan would dismantle employer-based coverage … [and] add significant liabilities to the federal budget.”

The group is also offering a sample “August Recess Activation Letter” for CEOs to send to employees.

“All over the country, conversations on health care reform are taking place, from Town Halls to coffee shops,” the letter says. “Members of Congress and the Administration are planning and participating in several events during the month of August as Congress breaks for recess. You can help share the perspective of the health plan community during these conversations by signing up.”

AHIP’s director of strategic communications, Robert Zirkelbach, says the group discourages confrontations “We encourage people to be positive and constructive.”

FreedomWorks, chaired by former House Majority Leader Dick Armey, is e-mailing 380,000 supporters this week with a link to an “August Recess Action Kit.”

“Turn Up the Heat in August: Help Defeat ObamaCare,” the group says on its website. “While Senators and Representatives are home for their August recess they need to hear from you, regardless of party. … Find a town hall meeting near you. If your representative or senator isn’t holding one — ask them why.”

Americans for Prosperity is going a step further and recommending in-person visits to lawmakers’ district and state offices. The groups says on its website that it “has always encouraged members to visit the district offices and attend town hall meetings of their senators and representatives, especially during this August break when issues like health care and cap-and-trade are at the peak of debate.”

The group’s president, Tim Phillips, writes: “In fact, I personally visited the office of my senator, Sen. Jim Webb, on July 17 when we, along with other free-market organizations, urged activists to go to their representatives' offices. The footage on YouTube of our rally that day clearly shows the civil and courteous manner in which we have acted and in which we urge all Americans to act.”

:lmao

TeyshaBlue
08-06-2009, 03:31 PM

So, PACs organize to oppose legislation? This is new?

I thought this was pretty odd coming from Politico...I've always thought they leaned pretty right.

George Gervin's Afro
08-06-2009, 04:06 PM
So, PACs organize to oppose legislation? This is new?

I thought this was pretty odd coming from Politico...I've always thought they leaned pretty right.

Not new but if you listen to the whiners on the board these were just spontaneous all american folks and not part of any organized effort..

TeyshaBlue
08-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Not new but if you listen to the whiners on the board these were just spontaneous all american folks and not part of any organized effort..

Most likely a combination of both....

Wild Cobra
08-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Most likely a combination of both....
I doubt there is any coordination. Just advice. People did as they pleased without having to be organized in my opinion. I haven't seen any attempts to organize. Just suggestions of methods if you go to an event.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-06-2009, 04:13 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NKaOw0hkD-I/SdD3c2aJiKI/AAAAAAAAAJM/SIvr5ySiODk/s400/AIG+ACORN.jpg

TeyshaBlue
08-06-2009, 04:13 PM
I doubt there is any coordination. Just advice. People did as they pleased without having to be organized in my opinion. I haven't seen any attempts to organize. Just suggestions of methods if you go to an event.

I don't think there's any real, substantive doubt that there is some coordination going on. One thing the Insurance/Pharma industry knows how to do is build an opposition base.
That being said, there's plenty of room for an average citizen to have an opposing opinion and attend a "rally"/townhall meeting/group therapy session. Unfortunately, they get painted with the brush aimed at the PACs.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-06-2009, 04:14 PM
http://bellalu0.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/capatilism-aig.jpg

Viva Las Espuelas
08-06-2009, 04:15 PM
http://iusbvision.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/aig-seiupic-seattle.jpg

Viva Las Espuelas
08-06-2009, 04:15 PM
oh the outrageous spontaneity.

TeyshaBlue
08-06-2009, 04:16 PM
oh the outrageous spontaneity.

Unions excel at organizing as well.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Unions excel at organizing as well.yeah. i remember the administration talking down about them as well

Wild Cobra
08-06-2009, 04:30 PM
I don't think there's any real, substantive doubt that there is some coordination going on. One thing the Insurance/Pharma industry knows how to do is build an opposition base.
That being said, there's plenty of room for an average citizen to have an opposing opinion and attend a "rally"/townhall meeting/group therapy session. Unfortunately, they get painted with the brush aimed at the PACs.
I thought we were talking about the town hall questioning of the representatives. Talk radio gives the conservatives that listen some real good ammunition, but do no formal organizing. After all, Roger Hedgecock (http://www.rogerhedgecock.com/Default.asp?cchk=yes) talked about and linked this:

HR 3200 (http://www.rogerhedgecock.com/Default.asp?cchk=yes)

Obama Administration’s Health Care Plan (http://www.liberty.edu/media/9980/attachments/healthcare_overview_obama_072909.pdf)

This is different than any other I've seen, also interesting and on his site:

US Debt Clock (http://www.usdebtclock.org/)

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-06-2009, 04:41 PM

Look, I know you're clueless, but pull your head out. If you can't acknowledge the fact it's at least a mix (far more skewed to concerned citizens than organized protests), then you just prove what a liberal shill you are.

George Gervin's Afro
08-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Look, I know you're clueless, but pull your head out. If you can't acknowledge the fact it's at least a mix (far more skewed to concerned citizens than organized protests), then you just prove what a liberal shill you are.

I will agree with the crowd being a mixture and not dominate one way or the other.. It's somewhat honest of you to acknowledge that there are hard core right wingers trying to get on Fox news by yelling and asking stupid questions

Wild Cobra
08-06-2009, 05:07 PM
I will agree with the crowd being a mixture and not dominate one way or the other.. It's somewhat honest of you to acknowledge that there are hard core right wingers trying to get on Fox news by yelling and asking stupid questionsWhat I saw, there was only yelling from being pissed that their answers were sidestepped. The questions I heard were not stupid. What did I miss?

SonOfAGun
08-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Wow, another one of these threads?

People speaking up is such ground breaking news that you have to dive to the bottom of this?

sheeeeiiiiiiiittttttttt

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-06-2009, 10:20 PM
I will agree with the crowd being a mixture and not dominate one way or the other.. It's somewhat honest of you to acknowledge that there are hard core right wingers trying to get on Fox news by yelling and asking stupid questions

Well, the thing is I see the crowds there to have a discussion. Then the legislator in question typically says something stupid like "the health care plan is a great plan, it will benefit everyone, costs won't go up, and your standard of care will improve." Then the heckling starts.

So you have to admit, they kind of bring it on themselves.

boutons_deux
08-07-2009, 05:07 AM
"Key organizers include two Astroturf (fake grass-roots) organizations: FreedomWorks, run by the former House majority leader Dick Armey, and a new organization called Conservatives for Patients’ Rights.

The latter group, by the way, is run by Rick Scott, the former head of Columbia/HCA, a for-profit hospital chain. Mr. Scott was forced out of that job amid a fraud investigation; the company eventually pleaded guilty to charges of overbilling state and federal health plans, paying $1.7 billion" - Krugman

SnakeBoy
08-07-2009, 05:13 AM
Suddenly the libs are opposed to community organizers.

SnakeBoy
08-07-2009, 05:18 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3235/2882127548_115976cf45.jpg?v=0

Viva Las Espuelas
08-07-2009, 08:42 AM
You must not get it. The right has labeled him the Messiah..they then criticize him and mock him for being the messiah.. Very convenient.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3235/2882127548_115976cf45.jpg?v=0

:wakeup

Viva Las Espuelas
08-07-2009, 08:43 AM
that was easy

George Gervin's Afro
08-07-2009, 08:45 AM
that was easy

one picture of a bumper sticker is your rebuttle?

I guess an article or a blog to find a lefty calling him the messiah didn't work out did it?

Viva Las Espuelas
08-07-2009, 08:55 AM
one picture of a bumper sticker is your rebuttle?

I guess an article or a blog to find a lefty calling him the messiah didn't work out did it?
i'm sure only one bumper sticker was made. sorry to put the chink in your armor, gga.

xXK4oiSiZAI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXK4oiSiZAI

wooopsie, again.

George Gervin's Afro
08-07-2009, 08:59 AM
i'm sure only one bumper sticker was made. sorry to put the chink in your armor, gga.

xXK4oiSiZAI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXK4oiSiZAI

wooopsie, again.

So I guess the precedent has been set. To debunk your arguments all I need is to find a picture of a bumper sticker or sign. Nice job.

Why don't you post this guy's quote to justify your idea that it was liberals and not the dead enders who originally referred to Obama as the messiah..

Once people hear this you are going to look really stupid.... well maybe not to the messiah haters because those girls hang on to anything to justify their hatred for the guy..:lmao

So tell me how does this rebutt my claim that is was the dead enders who call him the messiah to then turn around and bash him for being labled the messiah?

Is it that bumper sticker picture?

Viva Las Espuelas
08-07-2009, 09:12 AM
So I guess the precedent has been set. To debunk your arguments all I need is to find a picture of a bumper sticker or sign. Nice job.

Why don't you post this guy's quote to justify your idea that it was liberals and not the dead enders who originally referred to Obama as the messiah..

Once people hear this you are going to look really stupid.... well maybe not to the messiah haters because those girls hang on to anything to justify their hatred for the guy..:lmao

So tell me how does this rebutt my claim that is was the dead enders who call him the messiah to then turn around and bash him for being labled the messiah?

Is it that bumper sticker picture?

if you had written

You must not get it. The right and left has labeled him the Messiah..they then criticize him and mock him for being the messiah.. Very convenient.
then i would have no problem. obviously this one measily bumper sticker debunks your statement. talking long and loud doesn't cover up your fail, but please continue.

George Gervin's Afro
08-07-2009, 09:23 AM
if you had written

then i would have no problem. obviously this one measily bumper sticker debunks your statement. talking long and loud doesn't cover up your fail, but please continue.

so your definition of the left is a bumper sticker? How does your party keep losing to bumper stickers?

TeyshaBlue
08-07-2009, 09:39 AM
so your definition of the left is a bumper sticker? How does your party keep losing to bumper stickers?

You'd be surprised what you can accomplish with a snappy bumpersticker!