PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Parker's Back In Europe -- So Are The Problems

duncan228
08-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Parker's back in Europe -- so are the problems (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/buckharvey/2009/08/parkers-back-in-europe----so-a.html#more)
By Buck Harvey

Don't worry about a fractured relationship between Tony Parker and the Spurs' front office. Parker and R.C. Buford are scheduled to have dinner Friday night in France.

And don't worry about the French holding a grudge. Parker would have missed Wednesday's game against Italy anyway and, besides, Les Bleus won in overtime. For those who care about the details: Nicolas Batum, the athletic small forward the Spurs wanted in the 2008 draft, was a star.

But there is still a lot to worry about over there, and the NBA should worry, too. This is broken in a thousand ways, from the schedule to the lack of practice control to the arenas themselves.

France and Italy, for example, played in a gym on Sardinia because it's one of the few in the country with air conditioning. A year ago, when the climate control failed, the floor became slippery.

There's a lot of time to slip, too. If France qualifies and plays in the European Championships, Parker will have spent two months this summer with the national team. At least the French didn't begin as early as, say, Italy did. The Italians started training camp July 2 and could keep going until mid-September.

This is what happens when they mix in a home-away series with Finland. FIBA could streamline, but there's a resistance to accommodate the NBA.

There's no standard for practice schedules, from FIBA Asia to FIBA South America. If a national team wants to go through two-a-days, that's what happens. And if someone is hurt? No uniform system exists to determine how a player is cleared to play or gets rehab.

An extreme case: In the past, NBA officials were shocked when they observed the Chinese team and realized ice was not available for post-practice treatment.

All of which is why the Spurs insisted Parker fly trans-Atlantic. They wanted to make sure his injury was as minor as reported, and they didn't mind if he missed a few days of a long summer of basketball.

They likely wanted to send a statement, too. They will be involved, and they will control everything they can control.

The Spurs also see the other side of national teams: Ian Mahinmi joined the French team this week, and the Spurs are all for it. Mahinmi can use all the work he can get.

Bambililos
08-06-2009, 03:57 PM
FIBA could streamline, but there's a resistance to accommodate the NBA.

:lol
Like there isn't a resistance to acomodate the FIBA from NBA franchises!

Bruno
08-06-2009, 04:02 PM
What a clueless article. :td

Walton Buys Off Me
08-06-2009, 04:08 PM
I love Bruno's reaction.

Priceless.

Clueless- pot meet kettle.

Bruno
08-06-2009, 04:10 PM
I love Bruno's reaction.

Priceless.

Clueless- pot meet kettle.

My stalker. :lol

Buddy Holly
08-06-2009, 04:12 PM
NBA players should be loyal to their teams, they're the ones paying them millions, not their countries.

kace
08-06-2009, 04:12 PM
pathetic article.

rjv
08-06-2009, 04:14 PM
ian needs the work and we are also deeper in the frontcourt now so an injury to ian would be nowhere near as damaging to the spurs.

Dr Cox
08-06-2009, 04:22 PM
no ice slipply floors? y not just play outside? highschool gyms are better than that (texas ones at least)

ClingingMars
08-06-2009, 04:24 PM
pathetic article.

Do you expect more from Harvey?

Freeze
08-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Europe is in the third-world.... isn't it ?

Bruno
08-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Parker would have missed Wednesday's game against Italy anyway

French NT coach said the opposite.

France and Italy, for example, played in a gym on Sardinia because it's one of the few in the country with air conditioning. A year ago, when the climate control failed, the floor became slippery.

False. They played in Sardinia because Italia wanted to play in a small arena with people close to the court to put as much pressure as possible ont he opponents.
Italia has some 10,000+ arenas. I haven't checked by i highly doubt they aren't without air conditioning.

At least the French didn't begin as early as, say, Italy did. The Italians started training camp July 2 and could keep going until mid-September.

French NT did it because they knew they couldn't asked NBA players to come as soon as early July.

This is what happens when they mix in a home-away series with Finland. FIBA could streamline, but there's a resistance to accommodate the NBA.

Well, NBA could have adjusted when they started to get international players. NBA schedule is crazy and is the main reason of injuries.

An extreme case: In the past, NBA officials were shocked when they observed the Chinese team and realized ice was not available for post-practice treatment.

Link with Parker?

They likely wanted to send a statement, too. They will be involved, and they will control everything they can control.

Spurs send Mike Burgardt and Engeland with France NT. France NT send X-Rays/MRI pictures and Parker consulted a doctor picked by Spurs in France. Spurs were damn involved.
IMO, a main reason why they call Parker back was to avoid him playing in Italy.

The Spurs also see the other side of national teams: Ian Mahinmi joined the French team this week, and the Spurs are all for it. Mahinmi can use all the work he can get.

If you like the positive side, you also had to accept the negative side.

Spurs damn like French basketball. They drafted 3 French players and 2 (Diaw and Batum) were said to be their first target during drafts. If Spurs aren't fine with the French NT, they should have simply go elsewhere.

JP le Requin
08-06-2009, 05:44 PM
look at the suit of batum in the draft night...he weras a black & silver tie/suit...spurs colors...but rockets failed our plan to get finnaly our 3/SF athletic...

ohmwrecker
08-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Buck Harvey is one of the worst sports writers in the country.

Lebowski Brickowski
08-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Buck Harvey is one of the worst sports writers in the country.

Harvey is a very good writer. Relative to the shit writing in the newspapers these says, he's F. fucking Scott Fitzgerald.

honestfool84
08-06-2009, 10:28 PM
nba players should be loyal to their teams, they're the ones paying them millions, not their countries.

+1

no ice slipply floors? Y not just play outside? Highschool gyms are better than that (texas ones at least)

oconnor's home gym seems much nicer.

ElNono
08-06-2009, 11:04 PM
As ducks would say if this would be Manu, trade his ass... :lol

Brazil
08-06-2009, 11:16 PM
just pathetic article full of poor poor cliché

SequSpur
08-06-2009, 11:24 PM
San antonio has the worst fuckin sportswriters in the industry....I am so sick of this shit....

timaios
08-07-2009, 12:31 AM
+1

-1 = :sleep

Cant_Be_Faded
08-07-2009, 12:35 AM

I am totally dreading the inevitable onslaught of French homer bullshit we are going to experience this next season now that Parker is our superstar and Manu hasn't done shit in over two years.
Bruno will have his own cult.

itzsoweezee
08-07-2009, 12:44 AM

False. They played in Sardinia because Italia wanted to play in a small arena with people close to the court to put as much pressure as possible ont he opponents.
Italia has some 10,000+ arenas. I haven't checked by i highly doubt they aren't without air conditioning.

French NT did it because they knew they couldn't asked NBA players to come as soon as early July.

Well, NBA could have adjusted when they started to get international players. NBA schedule is crazy and is the main reason of injuries.

Link with Parker?

Spurs send Mike Burgardt and Engeland with France NT. France NT send X-Rays/MRI pictures and Parker consulted a doctor picked by Spurs in France. Spurs were damn involved.

Spurs damn like French basketball. They drafted 3 French players and 2 (Diaw and Batum) were said to be their first target during drafts. If Spurs aren't fine with the French NT, they should have simply go elsewhere.

thanks for the reply. it's good to hear a well-thought, reasoned answer; not the usual BS that pops up when international play comes up.

and i totally agree about the nba schedule being the primary reason for nba players being hurt at such a high rate. the players really need to address the schedule next time collective bargaining with the league takes place. as a fan, i want to see these teams at full strength.

EricB
08-07-2009, 12:57 AM
of course the french worthless NT loyalists are out in force laying the claim of bullshit at the spoken truth being written.

timvp
08-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Don't worry about a fractured relationship between Tony Parker and the Spurs' front office. Parker and R.C. Buford are scheduled to have dinner Friday night in France.

That note made the article a good one. I'm still doubting the French story that it was Holt who called Parker back to San Antonio. Everything else points to it being RC.

But yeah, France won so I guess Parker will hold off burning his Spurs jersey for at least a couple of days.

Nathan Explosion
08-07-2009, 02:24 AM
People who claim that the NBA should be more accommodating to FIBA are forgetting one thing, the NBA pays the players to play. Let me explain.

I don't knock the players for having national pride and wanting to show it. If they want to play for the national team, there's really not much that can be done about it.

However, the NBA teams invest millions of dollars in these players. That's what they are, investments. And they want a return on their investment.

Imagine if you gave a brokerage firm money to invest in you, only the firm wanted to call the shots on what to invest in without your input. Wouldn't you be a bit upset if they're decisions ended up sinking your investment?

It's all about compromise. The player has to know that the NBA wants a return on their investment, so if they want to play, they should know the team probably won't be happy about it.

As a result, the player has to protect himself as much as possible, or the owners will take it upon themselves to protect their investments, either through outright forbidding or international play or incentives written into contracts to cover the team should the player get injured.

However, the team must also respect that the players feel that it's a great sense of honor and their duty to play for the national team should the call come forth. And that honor is sometimes worth more than money, as hard as it is for American society to believe.

And FIBA, well they should be thanking the US for sending the Dream Team and thereby making basketball a global game. Without the Dream Team, Euro basketball would probably just be coming out of the dark ages about now. So FIBA just needs to get out of the way and let the NBA, players and National Teams work it all out.

JPB
08-07-2009, 03:15 AM
I'm still doubting the French story that it was Holt who called Parker back to San Antonio. Everything else points to it being RC.

Tony and the french GM looks pretty reliable sources to me...

Calavera
08-07-2009, 03:53 AM
Europe is not third world, it`s the cradle of the western civilization, and there was basketball in most of the countries a lot of years before NBA was created. Team owners pay the players to do their job, but players have obligation to their countries for growing up there, for their parents and friends, this is moral obligation which is bigger than the money.

kace
08-07-2009, 04:24 AM
That note made the article a good one. I'm still doubting the French story that it was Holt who called Parker back to San Antonio. Everything else points to it being RC.

But yeah, France won so I guess Parker will hold off burning his Spurs jersey for at least a couple of days.

20 to 30 % of your posts are used to say or to prove (or to try to) you were right (even when you were not in that case). and i'm not even couting your consistent self quoting. lame.

and that's funny how everyone could be blind. that stupid writer use lame and laughable cliché about the arenas but not a world about the crazy crowd. that kind of arenas and crazy atmosphere can only be seen in Europe and outside the NBA. that should be great for players to win against (or supported by) this kind of crow. transcending.

Bambililos
08-07-2009, 04:38 AM
Breaking news: the NBA isn't the only professional league in the world. Yes, in other countries, the players are paid too!
Yet only the NBA is complaining about letting its players play for NTs.

GSH
08-07-2009, 04:54 AM

Way to throw out the baby with the bathwater there, Bruno. The point was that a number of NBA team representatives have concerns because of things they have directly witnessed. Like the part about the Chinese team not having ice available? Absolutely correct, as far as it went. But he could have gone on to say that China isn't the only one.

I'm not sure why he said that few of the arenas have air conditioning. I think he was talking just about Sardinia, but it wasn't clear one way or the other. But the story about the floor of that particular gym being slippery because of a problem with their A/C system is also dead on. Some of the coaches and players were worried about playing, and rightfully so. McDonald was just passing on a story he had been told to illustrate his point. And for the record, you are no better than he is. No, Italy doesn't have 10,000+ arenas. That would be one arena for every 12 square miles, or every 5,600 people. I doubt they have 10,000 full basketball courts, but they damn sure don't have that many arenas. So the first person to respond to you was right - Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.

McDonald is also right that there are some absurd training regimens on some of the NT's, and definitely nothing even close to standardization. Two NBA players going off to play for their respective NT's could be facing drastically different circumstances. And some have definitely been known to put players on the floor even when they were seriously injured. (If you know anything about some of the African NT's, for example, you know that is true.) So to say that a player is going to play for his national team could mean a lot of different things. McDonalds point was that the word has gotten around the NBA, and that teams are all concerned that their own players might be at risk. And he is correct. What is the Russian expression? "Trust... but verify."

You act like the Spurs management is looking out for the team, and they don't give a damn about Parker. After following the team as closely as you have, you know better than that. And to even suggest that the Spurs called Parker back because they wanted Italy to win the game is ridiculously stupid. I guess you're entitled to be just as much of a homer as anyone else around here. But don't ever act like you're above it all anymore. When it comes to France, you're just as big of a fucking troll as the rest of us.

Bambililos
08-07-2009, 04:59 AM
the record, you are no better than he is. No, Italy doesn't have 10,000+ arenas. That would be one arena for every 12 square miles, or every 5,600 people. I doubt they have 10,000 full basketball courts, but they damn sure don't have that many arenas. So the first person to respond to you was right - Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.

He was saying that Italy has several arenas that can hold 10000+ spectators :rolleyes

And the article is by Harvey, by the way...

Bruno
08-07-2009, 05:18 AM
And to even suggest that the Spurs called Parker back because they wanted Italy to win the game is ridiculously stupid.

I never suggested that. :rolleyes
If Spurs didn't want Parker to play against Italy, it was because they thought it was too risky for his ankle and with his lack of conditioning.

And it's not because I don't have the same opinion as you about France NT that I'm a troll. A troll is a poster that start a trade Parker for Calderon thread...

GSH
08-07-2009, 05:22 AM
Breaking news: the NBA isn't the only professional league in the world.

Wow - I bet no one here knew that, you egotistical prick. Let's talk about some of those other professional leagues. Like World Cup futbol, for instance. Those "national teams" have players from all over the world on them. And you lunatics still scream and yell at each other, as if the team's success really means that your country is better than the other. Hell, you have riots over it. And, apparently, that's what you want for basketball, too.

Here's a picture of France's World Cup team.
http://www.football.co.uk/shared/images/teams/full_squad/france_squad.jpg

Why do you all suddenly become purists when it comes to basketball. And if you're such purists, why don't you send all of your soccer players back to play for their real national teams? (Or did you not notice that Claude Makelele was born in Zaire?) I'll tell you why. You don't give a shit about them playing in front of their friends and families, or their "moral obligations" to their own countries of origin. All you care about is France winning. You're no different than the people here that you are bitching about. I, for one, am about ready for some of you to shut... the fuck... up.

GSH
08-07-2009, 05:35 AM
A troll is a poster that start a trade Parker for Calderon thread...

No... a troll is someone who says that things are going to "get ugly" because Parker got called back to San Antonio. That would be you, Bruno.

One of two things have to be true about what you posted. Either:

A) You have some inside information about Parker's state of mind, and he is seriously unhappy. If that's the case, I suggested a possible trade that could make him happier. Calderon is a damned good point guard - or do you just like players from France?

B) You had no information, and just posted that because you were pissed that Parker was going to miss the game with Italy. Which, by definition, makes you as much of a troll as anyone else here.

You can't have it both ways, Bruno. If Parker is as disgruntled as you claimed, it could ruin the team's chemistry, and a trade might be the best thing. We discuss things like that here all the time. The only way my thread was unreasonable is if you just made shit up - which makes you a troll.

Feel free to pick whichever option makes you feel best.

Calavera
08-07-2009, 05:40 AM
that`s not picture from 1998, Cisse wasn`t in the team, dhorasso also, this is picture maybe from 2002 or even 2006. World Cup is not league - it`s tournament. No football club in Europe can deny a player from participation in national team match. And those players from the french team, they chose to play for France, it`s their decision and it`s not so weird since they live there and became proffessional there. Sport is bussines, but if you take away the sportsmenship and the moral stuff out of it - you get WWF or I don`t know maybe those open fights and can`t remember the name....

kace
08-07-2009, 05:46 AM
Wow - I bet no one here knew that, you egotistical prick. Let's talk about some of those other professional leagues. Like World Cup futbol, for instance. Those "national teams" have players from all over the world on them. And you lunatics still scream and yell at each other, as if the team's success really means that your country is better than the other. Hell, you have riots over it. And, apparently, that's what you want for basketball, too.

Why do you all suddenly become purists when it comes to basketball. And if you're such purists, why don't you send all of your soccer players back to play for their real national teams? (Or did you not notice that Claude Makelele was born in Zaire?) I'll tell you why. You don't give a shit about them playing in front of their friends and families, or their "moral obligations" to their own countries of origin. All you care about is France winning. You're no different than the people here that you are bitching about. I, for one, am about ready for some of you to shut... the fuck... up.

now you're going deeper and deeper into the BS. after being ridiculous with your 10.000 + misunderstanding, now you argue the french NT soccer players aren't really french because they're black. we have some people who think so here, they're the racist extremist.

you don't know anything about french people obviously. we have a lot of black people, born in Africa, who work in France and have the french nationality, even if they're not professional athletes.

PS: makelele came in France at 5 years old. was he a pro soccer player then or does that mean that France is part of his history way before his professional career ? i let you guess.

kace
08-07-2009, 05:57 AM
oh and Bambililos' remark was very good even if GSH, of course, didn't answer it.

Bball players are paid, and well paid all over the world, not only in NBA. Still, there is nowhere else outside the NBA where you see such problems with the clubs being reluctant to free their players for their NT.

We have this problem for some years in soccer, where some teams don't really like seeing their well-paid players with their NT. but it's very very very far from the NBA situation where even for official main competitions, the players are often not allowed to play.

and i hope the NBA won't become an example in this area for the european teams, whatever the sport.

Muser
08-07-2009, 06:23 AM

Lol Zidane.

Freeze
08-07-2009, 06:23 AM

You are stupid.
Every football player in the French NT grew up in France but Trezeguet (her mother is French, he came in France at 17 yo). France has always been a country with lots of immagrant from everywhere. Come and see. All their friends, close parents are here so when they are playing for the NT it's agreat honor for them to defend the colours of the country who gave them a work, and a better place to live.

Where you are born is not so important, for you is Dominique Wilkins French ? He is born in Paris, or Gonzalo Higuain born in Brest ? IMO they are not. They can apply for French citizenship, but they have grown up overseas, neitheir of their parents are French, they don't know anything about our culture.
Even TP is born in Belgium, but does he have friends there ? I don't think so, he grew up in Normandy, has French culture in his veins that's why he is French and why representing his country means so much to him.

You're talking crap, don't understand what you read, misquote,.... you're useless.

ploto
08-07-2009, 07:08 AM
The only reason France had to play in a crappy place is because they were so unsuccessful that they were in extra qualifiers just to get to Eurobasket and the teams play home and away. Some countries choose a less than optimal place, and some only have less than optimal places.

ploto
08-07-2009, 07:11 AM
I'm still doubting the French story that it was Holt who called Parker back to San Antonio. Everything else points to it being RC.

RC may have made the actual text message as the GM, but the order can still come from Holt.

urunobili
08-07-2009, 07:22 AM
timvp > Harvey

timaios
08-07-2009, 09:09 AM
The only reason France had to play in a crappy place is because they were so unsuccessful that they were in extra qualifiers just to get to Eurobasket and the teams play home and away. Some countries choose a less than optimal place, and some only have less than optimal places.

French NT is unsuccessful because of the NBA clubs.
Every year it's a mess to have a full team.
This year J.Noah & M.Piétrus are not with the team because of Chicago & Orlando. (+ the funny TP trip...)

Last year the French NT was a "B" team.

in2deep
08-07-2009, 09:42 AM

sounds like one of the many posters here who whines about parker playing in NT

Nathan Explosion
08-07-2009, 10:58 AM
The NBA may not be the only professional league, but it's obviously where the best talent goes to play. Only a fool would deny that. Again, the teams have a lot of money invested in these players and they want a return on their investment. If you were an owner paying a player millions to sit on the bench because of an injury he sustained playing games for free, you'd be mad too, right?

Players choose to play for their national teams on their own accord (everyone not named Yao Ming that is) and do it for free. That's their prerogative. But they also have to understand that while they feel an obligation to play for their country, they have a contractual (read LEGAL) obligation to play for their pro teams.

There's no side who's completely right in this. As for players being forced to play injured, again, look at Yao. There was no way in hell he was healthy when he played for China, but yet was forced to anyway. One player who wasn't forced (as far as we know) but who played injured anyway was a player we all know and love, Gino. We all know how that ended.

You can see why owners are squeamish about letting players play for their national team.

ploto
08-07-2009, 11:06 AM
I wonder if the NBA owners will ever try just to extend the time over which the team has control of the player. It is part of the CBA when they have to report.

lotr1trekkie
08-07-2009, 11:25 AM
If Tony isn't 100% with his ankle he should not play! If he hadn't already gotten injured in a meaningless game vs Dumstickastan we would not be having this discussion. Why was the French NT coach playing Tony at all?????? Play the second and third units! Don't risk your best player in an exhibition even if your job is on the line!

tlongII
08-07-2009, 11:37 AM
And don't worry about the French holding a grudge. Parker would have missed Wednesday's game against Italy anyway and, besides, Les Bleus won in overtime. For those who care about the details: Nicolas Batum, the athletic small forward the Spurs wanted in the 2008 draft, was a star.

That's the best part of the article...

:smokin

Brazil
08-07-2009, 11:43 AM
That's the best part of the article...

:smokin

I agree this is the only valuable quote of this whole BS article.
I really think Nicolas is going to be a very good BB player, Portland made a clever move in the draft.

Brazil
08-07-2009, 11:48 AM

I honnestly think that you are one of the worst ST poster.
Don't be get wrong I don't even think you're racist or something I just think you know shit about France. Your posts just show you have a big cultural knowledge and/or intelligence deficit.

Saying that you are right on one thing: French are not different than everybody, they care about winning. Whats wrong with that?

pppp
08-07-2009, 12:16 PM

Wow, just wow! Slippery ground.....
All the player pictured of the french NT are FRENCH!
ALL players are french born (except Maka who arrived in France at something like 5 y/o). Hell most of these players are from the French West Indies, a french department.
Do you have problems understanding that one can be BLACK and FRENCH?

That's the reality of France and you obviously don't know shit about this country.
So what's your point?

stéphane
08-07-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm really getting sick reading ST these days. There are some damn good retards. People saying it has to be that because my media (who are like 10.000kms away from the f**** problem) says so, are just stupid. You guys have the worst media with the god damn China. They're masters at transforming things so you just feel right with your conscience.

JP le Requin
08-07-2009, 12:49 PM
we have now the definition of ignorance...

Calavera
08-07-2009, 01:12 PM
player do get paid for playing the national team, the money comes from the national federation and are connected with the certain qualification or tournament, per example if France qualify for Euro 09 in Poland, every player will get certain amount of money, if they don`t the federation could deny any payments. Some players give their pays for charity, because most of the time they can`t be compared to the money the receive from the teams. But anyway, i like to think that sports are not all about the money...

P.S. Maybe someone asked it before, but I`ll just mention - why NBA champions are named World Champion, that`s something I always though as funny :) No offense, please, not trying to argue with anyone.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Wow, just wow! Slippery ground.....
All the player pictured of the french NT are FRENCH!
ALL players are french born (except Maka who arrived in France at something like 5 y/o). Hell most of these players are from the French West Indies, a french department.
Do you have problems understanding that one can be BLACK and FRENCH?

That's the reality of France and you obviously don't know shit about this country.
So what's your point?

:lol

I think GSH just committed the posting equivalent to crapping your pants in public.

phxspurfan
08-07-2009, 03:38 PM
no ice slipply floors? y not just play outside? highschool gyms are better than that (texas ones at least)

Seriously, that's pretty low standards. On JV track I got icebaths after practices and we had a doc on hand.