PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. John Hughes

Spurminator
08-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Film director John Hughes dies at 59

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Director+John+Hughes+dies/1867042/story.html

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/www.calgaryherald.com/director+john+hughes+dies/1867042/1867071.bin?size=620x400

Prolific film writer and director John Hughes, whose credits include the ‘80s teen films “The Breakfast Club” and “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” died of a heart attack while walking in Manhattan Thursday, his spokesman said. He was 59.

Hughes also made Macaulay Culkin a star, writing and producing the three “Home Alone” movies. His spokesman said Hughes was visiting friends in New York when he died.

In the last decade, Hughes had largely turned his back on Hollywood to run a farm in northern Illinois. He is survived by his wife of 39 years, Nancy, two sons and four grandchildren.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-06-2009, 04:35 PM
oh damn.

BacktoBasics
08-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Something interesting about the people who die shortly after walking away or semi-retiring. I see this far too often. Constantly makes me wonder what happens mentally and internally when you stop pushing the outer limits of your life....or break a long standing pattern.

ashbeeigh
08-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Sad. I'm sure a John Hughes movie marathon is coming this weekend.

PakiDan
08-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Oh snap! For real?? Definately movie marathon time. This sucks!

katyon6th
08-06-2009, 04:46 PM
I have so many good memories thanks to him.

Oddly enough, Movies by Moonlight at the Hemisphere Park is showing Pretty in Pink tonight.

jack sommerset
08-06-2009, 04:46 PM
That guy was the man in the 80's

spurs_2108
08-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Wow this is a shocker.

ShoogarBear
08-06-2009, 05:05 PM
"Those aren't pillows!"

-----------

Neal: "He says we're going the wrong way."
Del: "Oh, he's drunk, how would he know where we're going?"
Passengers: "You're going to kill somebody!"

-----------

Car Rental Agent: Welcome to Marathon, may I help you?
Neal: Yes.
Car Rental Agent: How may I help you?
Neal: You can start by wiping that fucking dumb-ass smile off your rosey, fucking, cheeks! Then you can give me a fucking automobile: a fucking Datsun, a fucking Toyota, a fucking Mustang, a fucking Buick! Four fucking wheels and a seat!
Car Rental Agent: I really don't care for the way you're speaking to me.
Neal: And I really don't care for the way your company left me in the middle of fucking nowhere with fucking keys to a fucking car that isn't fucking there. And I really didn't care to fucking walk down a fucking highway and across a fucking runway to get back here to have you smile in my fucking face. I want a fucking car RIGHT FUCKING NOW!
Car Rental Agent: May I see your rental agreement?
Neal: I threw it away.
Car Rental Agent: Oh boy.
Neal: Oh boy, what?
Car Rental Agent: You're fucked!

CosmicCowboy
08-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Something interesting about the people who die shortly after walking away or semi-retiring. I see this far too often. Constantly makes me wonder what happens mentally and internally when you stop pushing the outer limits of your life....or break a long standing pattern.

Yeah...I knew a guy that built up a company from scratch here in SA and sold it for several million dollars. He was about 45 and set for life. Bought a very cool house on the island at Port Aransas on a canal, bought a fishing boat and all the toys...He was teasing and laughing at us that were still working back in SA...

Less than a month after he moved there the guy had a massive heart attack playing golf and croaked.

08-06-2009, 05:14 PM
The city of Shermer will fly all flags at half staff in mourning.

SA210
08-06-2009, 05:16 PM
This guy had a major impact on my life watching his movies. So sad. Great movies.

Wild Cobra
08-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Moral of the story...

Don't retire, until you're tired.

mexicanjunior
08-06-2009, 05:57 PM
'The Breakfast Club' is my favorite movie of all time and had a big impact on me growing up...the man was genius.

Strike
08-06-2009, 06:50 PM
The Breakfast Club, Planes, Trains, And Automobiles. Two of my favorite movies of all time.

Neal Page: "You know what would make me happy?"
Del Griffith: "Another couple of balls and an extra set of fingers?"

John Bender: "Look, I can see you getting all bunched up for them making you wear these kinds of clothes, but let's face it: You're a neo-maxi-zoon-dweebie. What would you be doing if you weren't out making yourself a better citizen?"
Andrew Clark: "Why do you have to insult everyone?"
John Bender: "I'm being honest, asshole. I would expect you, to know the difference."

RIP

SA210
08-06-2009, 07:14 PM
The Breakfast Club, Planes, Trains, And Automobiles. Two of my favorite movies of all time.

John Bender: "Look, I can see you getting all bunched up for them making you wear these kinds of clothes, but let's face it: You're a neo-maxi-zoon-dweebie. What would you be doing if you weren't out making yourself a better citizen?"
Andrew Clark: "Why do you have to insult everyone?"
John Bender: "I'm being honest, asshole. I would expect you, to know the difference."

RIP

Wow, what a big part of my life. :depressed

samikeyp
08-06-2009, 07:36 PM
The city of Shermer will fly all flags at half staff in mourning.

Dammit! Beat me to it! :toast

RIP John, you were a cinematic genius.

timvp
08-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Five bucks says that the autopsy shows that he died from unexpectedly getting punched in the stomach.

The Gemini Method
08-07-2009, 02:53 AM
Ah, Say Anything was one of my favorite movies growing up. How interesting Molly Ringwald had twins and John Hughes passes on...

JudynTX
08-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Awww man :( RIP I grew up on his movies.

Jimcs50
08-07-2009, 09:10 AM
So freaking sad. :depressed

I think I have 10 of his movies on DVD. 5 of which are probably in my Top 40movies all time:

Home Alone, Planes, Trains & Automobiles, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, and National Lampoon's Vacation.

The man was brilliant, this is a great loss.