PDA

View Full Version : LeBron on losing, shaking hands and getting dunked on

Sniper
08-06-2009, 11:30 PM
LeBron on losing, shaking hands and getting dunked on
By David Aldridge, TNT analyst
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/08/06/lebron/index.html

TAMPA -- If he could turn back time, LeBron James would have stopped on his way out of Amway Arena and spoken to reporters after his Cleveland Cavaliers were eliminated in the Eastern Conference finals. But if you still think he should have shaken some Orlando Magic players' hands after Game 6, he must agree to disagree.

"I would definitely do the media," James said Thursday in some of his first expanded comments on both the handshake controversy and the controversy over a confiscated tape of his being dunked on this summer at his skills camp. "Looking back on it, without you guys, honestly ... there's really no, there's no LeBron, there's no Dwyane Wade, there's no Tiger Woods, there's no Peyton Manning and the rest of these guys that do the things and (are) seen every day."

"Looking back on it, (not) doing the media was basically the big part of why it happened, why it got out there, and why it's still going on. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely do the media."

But as far as declining to shake hands with the winning team, James continued to defend his decision.

"I look at the handshake like this," he said. "During the regular season, no one ever says anything. We play 82 regular-season games, eight preseason games, guys at the end of the game, no one ever shakes hands. Ever. And you move on to the next game. The congratulations, I congratulated Dwight (Howard) via e-mail, told him congratulations and good luck in the Finals. The shaking hands thing is really not a big thing for me. It's not I'm a sore loser or anything like that. I'm just moving on. You guys beat me ... I think sometimes people want you to accept losing, and I will never accept losing. There's ways to handle it certain times, and shaking hands may be it. But I will never accept losing, at anything that I do."

James spoke on Thursday at the National Association of Black Journalists' convention as a guest of NABJ's Sports Task Force. He was in town for a screening of his documentary More Than a Game, which will be released this fall after finishing as runner-up in the Toronto Film Festival last year to Slumdog Millionaire. The movie chronicles James' days at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School.

James also was promoting his new book, Shooting Stars, which is to be released along with the film. The book is co-written by James and Buzz Bissinger, the author of Friday Night Lights.

The 2009 NBA Most Valuable Player also shed light on the doings last month at his LeBron James Skills Academy in Akron, when a camper dunked over James during a pickup game. The dunk was taped by a freelance cameraman, who then had the tape confiscated by a Nike representative.

Initial reports implied that it was James who ordered the Nike rep to take the tape, which was ultimately returned to the cameraman after online media outlets found other tapes of the dunk and aired them on the TMZ.com and eBaumNation.com websites.

James denied ordering the seizure.

"First of all, I never told anyone to confiscate any tapes," James said. "Nike has a no videotaping policy at pickup games. They've always done that. It just so happened that LeBron was involved, so now it's blown up. But it's a play in the game of basketball that happens all the time. You can go on YouTube right now and see me getting dunked on by a lot of guys. I mean, I like to call myself a shotblocker sometimes, and that tends to happen sometimes, when you just don't judge the ball right."

During the 20-minute conversation, James expressed his excitement at playing with Shaquille O'Neal next season, calling him "godfather" of the NBA players and recalling that O'Neal came to one of his high school games. And James said he would have no problem playing off the ball next season if it goes inside to O'Neal first.

"I've never had a low-post presence since I've been in the league, he said. "I love it. I can defer to a teammate. If Shaq is going I'm OK, and if it's one of those nights when he isn't feeling it, I can take over ... I know one thing that's going to happen: You can't check Shaq one on one. I can use some of my athleticism when a double team comes and slash to the rim. He's a very good passer so he'll just throw it at the rim and I'll go get it. If I catch the ball in the spot-up (position) I can either drive it or pass it. You're at my mercy."

James was non-committal on the issue of whether he'll re-sign with the Cavaliers after this season, though he said that he loved playing in Cleveland and had no reason to leave, given the team that general manager Danny Ferry has assembled around him and the rabid fan support the Cavaliers receive at Quicken Loans Arena. The Cavaliers have begun discussions with his agent, Leon Rose, about a contract extension, but James is almost certain to opt out of the last year of his deal following next season and at least test free agency.

James also expressed hope that the league and the players' union could reach agreement on a new collective bargaining agreement. The two sides began talks this week, with a lockout in 2011 looming.

"I've spoken to some of the guys who were there for the last lockout," he said. "Ben Wallace was a teammate of mine and he went through the last one. It was awful."

InRareForm
08-06-2009, 11:34 PM
wow f'n james keeps on trying to justify his poor decision and keeps digging himself a larger hole.. stfu already.

MavDynasty
08-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Grow the fuck up.

Culburn369
08-06-2009, 11:49 PM
As long as James doesn't attempt to shake hands when he wins--I got no problem with him declining the act when he loses.

It's not a game.

peskypesky
08-06-2009, 11:51 PM
douche

Culburn369
08-06-2009, 11:53 PM
douche

Massengill OR Summer's Eve?

peskypesky
08-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Massengill OR Summer's Eve?

it depends on which thong he's wearing.

Culburn369
08-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Grow up.

peskypesky
08-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Grow up.

I did. And Lebron's still a douche.

SouthTexasRancher
08-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Little boy lebron james is simply put, a giant asshole!!!

mystargtr34
08-07-2009, 12:17 AM
LeBron is starting to get Kobe Bryant type level hate now. I cant find one thing wrong with anything that he said in that entire article.

Pistons < Spurs
08-07-2009, 12:38 AM
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8475/lebronisabitch.jpg

KidCongo
08-07-2009, 12:44 AM
^:lmao

23LeBronJames23
08-07-2009, 12:45 AM
yall jus jealous that he the best player in NBA right now

BadOdor
08-07-2009, 01:27 AM
yall jus jealous that he the best player in NBA right now

I don't think you understand what the word "jealous" means.

pawe
08-07-2009, 02:20 AM
What a fucking baby. Shake the hand and congratulate the winners you dumbass arrogant loser.

BRHornet45
08-07-2009, 02:32 AM
sons King Crab needs to stop taking himself so serious. he needs to take notes from his teammate Delonte West on how to enjoy life and have fun.

KidCongo
08-07-2009, 02:37 AM
sons King Crab needs to stop taking himself so serious. he needs to take notes from his teammate Delonte West on how to enjoy life and have fun.

No no no he needs to develop that 'killer instinct':lol

PM5K
08-07-2009, 03:26 AM
I guess Lebron doesn't understand the difference between a regular season game and a playoff series where it's win or go home and you play the same team at least four times.

Having said that I've seen plenty of players shake hands at the end of regular season games.

And how is sending someone a congratulatory email any better than just shaking their fucking hand, seems pretty fucking gay if you ask me.

"Oh hey Dwight, just wanted to congratulate you guys on a well played series, bravo my dear friend.

Your truly and forever,

LeBron "King" James"

#2!
08-07-2009, 03:56 AM
man his ego is getting to be too much.

referring to yourself in the third person is the biggest form of douchebaggery there is

LnGrrrR
08-07-2009, 07:21 AM
"You're at my mercy"... :lol

Kneel before LeBron!

samikeyp
08-07-2009, 07:53 AM
LeBron is starting to get Kobe Bryant type level hate now. I cant find one thing wrong with anything that he said in that entire article.

This is why I actually have Kobe in higher regard than LeBron. Kobe wants to rip your heart out on the court, and their is nothing wrong with that, but when its over he has no problem giving credit where it is due or shaking hands or anything like that. On those rare times someone gets the better of him or his team, he is gracious in defeat. That is the sign of a true champion.

Phillip
08-07-2009, 08:05 AM

the haterism is ridiculous. its mainly from the narrowminded morons that cant think for themselves so they buy into everything the media says, so if the media says hes a bitch for it, these idiots do too.

resistanze
08-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Let's be real. The media didn't rip LeBron for not shaking the Magic's hand. Kobe didn't shake hands after getting cockslapped by the Suns, either. No one really gives a shit. The difference is, Kobe talked to the media afterwards and LeBron didn't. Sports journalists are the most butt-hurt, entitled people in the media. They'll deny you the MVP if they don't like your attitude.

Phillip
08-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Let's be real. The media didn't rip LeBron for not shaking the Magic's hand. Kobe didn't shake hands after getting cockslapped by the Suns, either. No one really gives a shit. The difference is, Kobe talked to the media afterwards and LeBron didn't. Sports journalists are the most butt-hurt, entitled people in the media. They'll deny you the MVP if they don't like your attitude.

I pretty much agree with all this.

Not shaking hands is not a big deal at all.

But I agree Lebron should have talked to the media.

Kamnik
08-07-2009, 09:55 AM
"Fuck LeBron!" is pretty much the only thing that comes to my mind... :P

Culburn369
08-07-2009, 09:59 AM
This is why I actually have Kobe in higher regard than LeBron. Kobe wants to rip your heart out on the court, and their is nothing wrong with that, but when its over he has no problem giving credit where it is due or shaking hands or anything like that. On those rare times someone gets the better of him or his team, he is gracious in defeat. That is the sign of a true champion.

Kobe is just as petty & full of shit as James. I recall a few years back when he instituted a scorched earth policy with the Lakers: he forbade any Laker from shaking hands before or after, helping any opponent up, blah, blah, blah. I think it lasted about a half season, maybe less. He and James (and anybody for that matter) haven't got the determination, frankly the blackened heart to carry off something like that on an on-going permanent basis. It's the human condition.

Muser
08-07-2009, 10:00 AM
As long as LeBron has Mo as his PG i'm not too worried about him doing much.

Culburn369
08-07-2009, 10:01 AM
As long as LeBron has Mo as his PG i'm not too worried about him doing much.

Muser\goods\superlative style.

MarHill
08-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Grow the fuck up.

I agree with MavDynasty!!

Lebron should let it go and grow up.

Some times it's okay not to say anything or say it was a bad decision on my part instead of trying to justify or rationalize what he did.

hater
08-07-2009, 10:18 AM
dude just needs to shut up and play. and stop those damn commedy skits pre-game.

JamStone
08-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Don't see much wrong with what he's saying. I don't agree with his position about shaking hands, but if that's how he feels, so be it. If it were someone like Jordan or Tiger Woods, most people would justify it by saying that's the competitor in them. But because LeBron hasn't won titles yet, people regard it as immature. Ok. No big deal. Let him be immature. He can pretty much do whatever the hell he wants. At least he owned up being wrong about not addressing the media.

Banzai
08-07-2009, 11:14 AM
oh shit..summertime fresh!

Culburn369
08-07-2009, 11:18 AM
and stop those damn commedy skits pre-game.

hater just broke his cogent post cherry.

Congrats, hater.

jdev82
08-07-2009, 11:51 AM
yup, douche.

23LeBronJames23
08-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Its funny that when I was bashing James for his character all last season, you guys were giving me shit for it. Once again, luva is way ahead of the curve. None of you cock suckers will come out and admit luva was right, so I will. I WAS RIGHT ABOUT THIS JAMES CLOWN.

kobe didnt shake hands too in that PHX playoff loss. and LeBron apologized for not talkin to the media.
atleast LeBron aint cryin to get traded like kobe was couple years ago

hater
08-07-2009, 12:45 PM
hater just broke his cogent post cherry.

Congrats, hater.

thank you brother. yours will come soon enough

Phillip
08-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Its not so much the shaking hands part. I think everyone has stormed off the court after a tough loss. Its his reasoning behind it. "I'm a winner, I'm the MVP." Lord knows, that if James his circus clowns had been winning those games, we would have seen some of the most pathetic celebrating, and staged clown acts on the sidelines in history. And its only going to get worse now that Shaq is in town. To put it short, he stormed off the court because he couldn't face the agony of defeat. Owning the best record in the league, and getting taken to the wood shed was a total embarrassment for James, and he should admit that.

Also, "Nike don't allow video footage of scrimmages." Yeah right. Only when their poster child gets stuffed through the rim. Good thing for phone cameras.

Moron fans like you are why everyone hates the Lakers. If this was Kobe, you would justify him to every extent possible.

hater
08-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Moron fans like you are why everyone hates the Lakers. If this was Kobe, you would justify him to every extent possible.

word. At least Lebron didn't rape anyone

23LeBronJames23
08-07-2009, 12:49 PM
moron fans like you are why everyone hates the lakers. If this was kobe, you would justify him to every extent possible.

+1000000000000000000000

23LeBronJames23
08-07-2009, 12:50 PM
word. At least Lebron didn't rape anyone

:lmao hahahahaha :lmao

JustBlaze
08-07-2009, 01:10 PM
LeBron thinks his shit don't stink, ain't that a bitch.

spursfan1000
08-07-2009, 01:27 PM
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8475/lebronisabitch.jpg

:lmao

InRareForm
08-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Don't see much wrong with what he's saying. I don't agree with his position about shaking hands, but if that's how he feels, so be it. If it were someone like Jordan or Tiger Woods, most people would justify it by saying that's the competitor in them. But because LeBron hasn't won titles yet, people regard it as immature.

BS. bad behaivor is bad behaivor, it don't matter who does it. The ring argument is irrelevant.

spursfan1000
08-07-2009, 01:35 PM
I pretty much agree with all this.

Not shaking hands is not a big deal at all.

But I agree Lebron should have talked to the media.

I agree, I didnt notice he didnt talk to the media though...

spursfan1000
08-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Look here new booty, You haven't been around long enough to make that assessment. I'm probably more harsh on Kobe than most of you Laker haters, which is why I cant stand to go on Laker boards. The truth is you hate the Lakers cause we kick your fucking ass, that's why you hate us, it has nothing to do with Kobe. You all can buy into the hype of James all you, and when he continues to fail, just remember luva told you so.

Just to let you know im a Spurs fan and I don't hate the Lakers.:downspin:

23LeBronJames23
08-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Look here new booty, You haven't been around long enough to make that assessment. I'm probably more harsh on Kobe than most of you Laker haters, which is why I cant stand to go on Laker boards. The truth is you hate the Lakers cause we kick your fucking ass, that's why you hate us, it has nothing to do with Kobe. You all can buy into the hype of James all you, and when he continues to fail, just remember luva told you so.

^^now thats pure hate^^

JustBlaze
08-07-2009, 01:47 PM
^^now thats pure hate^^
Yeah no kidding, although I'm not surprised you'd feel that way.:lol

Muser
08-07-2009, 01:48 PM
^^now thats pure hate^^

Not really

Mo
Parker
LeBron
Vaj
Shaq

Built for the regular season son.

23LeBronJames23
08-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Why does it bother you so much, you'll be a NY fan in just a few months.

few months?? only maybe in a year

duncan228
08-07-2009, 01:58 PM
LeBron: ‘I want to keep my options open’ (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lebronscontract&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Tom Withers

LeBron James is unlikely to accept a contract extension from the Cleveland Cavaliers until after the 2009-10 season, when he can become a free agent.

At an event to unveil his latest signature sneaker for Nike, James, who has given no indication he plans to leave the Cavs, made his strongest comments yet about his future. The NBA’s reigning MVP said he signed a three-year contract in 2006 with an option so he would have more flexibility once it expires.

“I signed a contract in 2006 with an option,” he said. “It would make no sense for me to sign that contract if I didn’t keep my options open. I’ll let you fill in the blanks.”

The Cavaliers offered James a contract extension last month. The 24-year-old said his agent, Leon Rose, and Cavs general manager Danny Ferry have had “a great conversation.”

James doesn’t expect his future to be a distraction for the Cavs, who acquired All-Star center Shaquille O’Neal this offseason.

KidCongo
08-07-2009, 11:31 PM

:lol The real poster has been around longer than you Gasol fan.

Culburn369
08-08-2009, 04:26 AM
Luva is correct here. Lakers Fandom is by far the most objective Fandom on this Board. Spurs Fandom is the most subjective. They're near shameful in their myopic mongerings.

Chillen
08-08-2009, 05:09 AM
"I look at the handshake like this," he said. "During the regular season, no one ever says anything. We play 82 regular-season games, eight preseason games, guys at the end of the game, no one ever shakes hands. Ever. And you move on to the next game. The congratulations, I congratulated Dwight (Howard) via e-mail, told him congratulations and good luck in the Finals. The shaking hands thing is really not a big thing for me. It's not I'm a sore loser or anything like that. I'm just moving on. You guys beat me ... I think sometimes people want you to accept losing, and I will never accept losing. There's ways to handle it certain times, and shaking hands may be it. But I will never accept losing, at anything that I do."

Accepting losing is going out and not competing whatsoever and not playing hard, not shaking the opponents hand after a loss is not accepting losing or at least that is how I see it. As long as he gives it every single thing he's got there is no reason at all why he cannot acknowledge his opponent in defeat. I hope he matures a little more in that regard.