PDA

View Full Version : Blazers' Brandon Roy talks extension, championship, Andre Miller and more

tlongII
08-07-2009, 04:09 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/08/blazers_brandon_roy_talks_exte.html

The Trail Blazers on Friday morning held a news conference to officially announce the five-year contract extension signed by All-Star guard Brandon Roy.

Here's a transcript of Roy's Q&A session with reporters, in which he discussed the negotiation process, winning a championship, his playing weight, the signing of Andre Miller and the importance of signing LaMarcus Aldridge to a contract extension, among other things:

Opening remarks:
"I'd like to first start by thanking my family. My fiance' Tiana Bardwell, Brandon Jr., Mariah, and my parents, who aren't here. They've played a big part in, not only these negotiations, but just my entire basketball career. They've been there to support me through some really hard times. I would first like to start with thanking them. Then to go to Mr. Allen, KP, Larry Miller, Tom Penn, Coach Nate, all the coaches, just for making my first three years in the NBA and incredible experience.

"And of course my agent, Bob Myers. He did an unbelievable job I think with making this process as smooth as possible. Here I am, a 24 year-old kid, and I've never been through this before. And there were times when I was a little frustrated. But he just kept reminding me that, hey, this is a business and things are going to work out. So I'd like to give him a lot of credit. And the organization for making this smooth for me and allowing me to get this done, and be extremely happy with what we accomplished.

Give some perspective about what this means to you?
"It's something that's hard to really put into words. I go to sleep every night and I look at my kids and I just had this big smile on my face because it is a lot of money. (chuckles) You can't hide that fact. I just think about all the hard work that I've put into this dream. A lot of people think it just happened last season. But this has been a lifelong journey for me. And for me to continue to try and improve each day and each game and (that) it leads to this is great. But again, I always go back to, man, there's still something missing. And it's that championship. It's holding that trophy at the end of the season, knowing that we were the best team. Again this contract is great. I'm happy for my family and it's going to make things a lot easier. But at the same time, my goal when I came to this organization was to help win a championship. And not just one. But we have to start with one. So I'm excited."

Did you ever worry about committing to five years in case the franchise takes a turn for the worse? Did five years ever concern you?
"No it never did. Honestly from my first year being a part of this organization, I knew this is where I wanted to be for a long time. When I was going through the negotiation process, I lot of people thought, 'Are you sure you want to be locked in that long.' And I said, 'Yeah. Portland is where I want to be.' I don't know about some of the other superstars; they have ideas about other places. But I couldn't imagine being anywhere but here in Portland. Our fans are unbelievable. The people who are part of the organization are great. We have a great owner who cares a lot about his team, so it was never a question that I wanted to be anywhere else. So five years was perfect. If I could have done 10, I would have done that."

What was the holdup with the negotiations and what was your attitude throughout the process?
Well, early throughout the process, I was a little frustrated. But I got a couple calls from some gentlemen I respect very highly. And one of them was (University of Washington) coach (Lorenzo) Romar. He called and he said, 'How are you doing?' And I said, 'I'm doing good Coach. I wish these negotiations were over with.' And he said, 'Hey, this is something that's part of the business and this is your first time going through it and of course you want it to happen now, now, now. But it doesn't always work out that way.' He reassured me that it was going to happen and he said, 'Hey look, I've been through a number of these, don't get upset about it. Just handle it the best way you can and continue to enjoy your summer. Things will happen and things will work out for the best.' Having that conversation with him really helped relax me a whole lot. And I started to believe that this is going to get done and I just have to relax and be a little more patient."

Describe the relief in signing. Was it a big lift off your shoulders allowing you to start thinking more about basketball?
"Yeah. It's a big load off my shoulders. I was talking to my agent and he (called) late one of these nights, I can't remember which one it was, and he said, 'Hey man, it's done.' I just had this big smile on my face of just relief because I always pride myself on I don't like to do negotiations and business things like that. I just like to play basketball. I like to have great relationships with my friends and my teammates. So going through this process was a little hard on me because, again, this is a business and I have to focus on that side of it. But when it was over with, I was like, 'Yes.' Now I can be back to getting everybody back in the gym, talking to my teammates -- even they were a little concerned about the whole process. So when it did end, I was excited. I'm looking forward to getting guys in early again and getting back to work and trying to build to a championship."

You admitted you were frustrated that this took so long. Why?
"Just because once the season ended, everybody was telling me your contract is going to be done in July and I think I even got my hopes up a little bit. But when early July came and negotiations began, I think I let my pride get in the way of just letting the process take its course. Both sides have to feel comfortable about the deal and I think we eventually got to that point. It's hard to go back and say what exactly happened. I'm just happy the end result is I'm a Trail Blazer for a long time and I'm happy with it and I think the organization is."

Now that you're signed, how important do you think it is for the franchise to lock up LaMarcus Aldridge and keep the core together?
"I think it's extremely important. Me and LaMarcus came into this league together. It's funny, we have the same agent, so we started workout out (together) right after college. So we've really built a relationship on and off the court that I think has been really important to our early success. I'm excited that I'm finally done, but now it's time to get LaMarcus signed because I think he's a huge part of what we're trying to do. I think he's a future All-Star for years to come. I think LaMarcus is a big part of my success. On the court because there are a lot of things he does to free my game. He gets me a lot of assists with that jump shot he has. I'm excited about getting LaMarcus done and getting him happy and that way we can continue to move forward with all the guys we have."

When is the last time you talked to Aldridge and how is his mind-set?
"I talked to LaMarcus a couple days ago. He called and said, 'Congratulations.' We talked for a few. He was busy but he just wanted to call and say congratulations. I asked him how he was doing and it sounded like he was in really good spirits. He knows the organization is going to do their best to get him done. He's, again, a big part of our team. He's doing really good right now."

What are your thought about the Blazers' offseason and the signing of Andre Miller?
"I'm excited about it. It's like KP said, I read a lot of different things -- the organization failed here, or failed here. But I look at how we finished, which is great. I think Andre Miller was a great pickup because I've had a chance to play against him and I'm a big fan of the game so I've watched teams when I'm not playing. And I just love his leadership capabilities and I think when you add a guy of his age and his number of years in the league, that's what we were missing on this team. There's been a lot of times I've had conversations with Coach Nate (McMillan) and it's like, 'Man, I just wish we had an older veteran on this team that maybe could even help me out.' I thought that was answered. I think Andre is going to be able to help Greg (Oden), I think he is going to get LaMarcus a lot more easier shots. He pushes the ball. But more than anything, I think he's also going to help Steve Blake. They're going to push each other every day in practice and now we have Steve or Andre always on the floor. I think this is going to make us a much better team. I'm excited about this season. I thought we did a great job in the offseason. Things don't always happen as fast as people would like. But you look at things now, I think they are coming around and everyone is excited about this season."

Talk about your offseason. What have you been doing? Are you about ready to get back to basketball now?
"Yeah, I'm chomping at the bit, man. I've been spending a lot of time this offseason trying to relax, trying to rest my body as much as possible. But it's hard for me to rest. I always tell people, they say, 'It's only August.' But my comeback is, 'Well we didn't play to June. So we have to get after it.' And for me it's just getting better, it's challenging my teammates to get better. I felt like guys had enough time to relax and now it's time to start thinking about how we can improve. Because if you look at these top teams, like the Lakers and Spurs and Boston, they don't relax. Every season, they are trying to get better. And if we want to be considered in that category, that has to be our approach. We've had a number of months to relax and now it's time to start gearing back up and getting ready for our push."

Why did you decide not to take part in Team USA workouts?
"The biggest reason was talking with my agent was I wanted to rest my body for Portland. I felt like last season I went straight into training camp off of meniscus surgery and I didn't want to risk anything coming into this year. This is a big year for me and my team. My agent and I, we talked to USA Basketball and they completely understood and there will be an opportunity for me to play in the future. But this summer, my body needed (the rest), and I wanted to try to get as close to 100 percent as possible. We had a number of conversations with them and they understood. So I definitely look forward to maybe looking at that next summer."

So have you started offseason workouts or are you about to start?
"I started about two weeks ago. I slowly started to progress into things. I've tried to get my body weight down. Last summer, I think I was a little heavy when I started playing. So this year I tried to ride the bike, did a lot of swimming and actually have my weight under 210 (pounds). So I feel good. I feel light. So I feel like I'm ready to start playing basketball again."

What did you weight last year at this time?
"About 217. I told Nate I was going to try to get into camp between 205 and 210. I think that's a good weight going in. I think lighter's better for me."

How important is it to you to win it all?
"Extremely important. That's what I've prided myself on my entire life; winning. And now I'm at the point where I've won a lot but I still haven't won that ultimate crown. Even in college, we made some Sweet 16 runs and things like that, but just being the best team at the end of the year is my ultimate goal. And just as I've gone through my career, it's driving me to this point where I want it, I want it bad. I watch the best players. I've watched a lot of old films over this last summer. They've won it. From (Michael) Jordan to (Hakeem) Olajuwon to Tim Duncan. Nobody has given it to those guys. They're taking it. So that's my new mind-set: chasing a championship. And I want one extremely bad and I'm sure Kevin does and Mr. Allen does, so that's our goal."

Who have you talked to from the team lately?
"Martell (Webster). See him around the locker room a few times. Talked to Travis Outlaw a couple times. LaMarcus the other day. Me and Greg text every once in a while. I've talked to Jerryd Bayless, Steve Blake ... I talked to just about everybody. I keep in touch with just about all the guys. We know Joel is back home relaxing, he's gearing up for another big season. He's probably the guy that comes around last, but we know what he's going to bring. But just about everyone else, I've talked to them and we laugh and we joke around. We're all good friends off the court. And I think that's what makes our team so special. We're all such a close team. And even with this offseason and watching how the Blazers were going after players, my biggest thing was get guys who want to be here, who want to be a part of this team. And when Andre signed and hearing him talk, this was a guy who wants to be here. So that made it even more special because he's going to fit in just fine."

You haven't talked to Miller though?
"No. I haven't had a conversation with him."

Double-Up
08-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Actually I like the Blazer's and while the Rocket's are out I wish them the best of luck.

tlongII
08-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Loves me some B-Roy!

kwamay_brown54
08-07-2009, 04:24 PM
As soon as the Laker Dynasty ends, the Blazers will be dominating the Western conference no doubt. They just need more expierience, and only way to get that is struggle at first.

tlongII
08-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Not so. Roy is 25, and he will be on the downside of his career by the time were done owning the West. The Blazers are the new Jazz, or the Kings.

:lol You WISH!

Texas_Ranger
08-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Not so. Roy is 25, and he will be on the downside of his career by the time were done owning the West. The Blazers are the new Jazz, or the Kings.

Yes, cause Kobe is 18 and he'll play in the NBA for 15 more years.

lil_penny
Tlong I have a serious question for you.... what the hell is going on with the el pollo loco on cedar hills??

in2deep
As soon as the Laker Dynasty ends

when did it start?

in2deep
08-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Yes, cause Kobe is 18 and he'll play in the NBA for 15 more years.

:lol

tlongII
08-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Tlong I have a serious question for you.... what the hell is going on with the el pollo loco on cedar hills??

You gotta tell me what el pollo loco is first!

Texas_Ranger
08-07-2009, 04:38 PM

Isn't that that thing from the movie Rush Hour that Chris Tucker couldn't say.:downspin:

lil_penny
08-07-2009, 04:40 PM

That place by pizza scmizza and pita pit that has had opening soon signs on it for like 6 months haha... nobody seems to know wtf is goin on lol

tlongII
08-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Our team is built for a 5 year title run. The Blazers don't have any quality big men outside of LA, and hes softer than Pau.

Greg Oden? Joel Przybilla?

tlongII
08-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Our team is built for a 5 year title run. The Blazers don't have any quality big men outside of LA, and hes softer than Pau.

You guys can't deal with our front line now.

kwamay_brown54
08-07-2009, 05:16 PM
He made the all star game last year didn't he?

tlongII
08-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Why is Roy the only person that think hes a superstar? What a clown. Name one superstar that has never started in an all-star game? Roy should pump his brakes on that whole superstar and championship talk. I warned you guys last season when that other scrub that just left the Blazers was talking about winning a title.

So you don't think B-Roy is a superstar?

JordanL
08-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Pay no attention to lakaluva... He's compensating.

iggypop123
08-07-2009, 06:38 PM
those kids depend on the home crowd too much. in the playoffs they saw that they couldnt handle the road presssure

JordanL
08-07-2009, 06:39 PM
those kids depend on the home crowd too much. in the playoffs they saw that they couldnt handle the road presssure

That's part of being a young team... all young teams are like that...

tlongII
08-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Yes he made the all-star, but superstars don't come off the bench, they start. That's why I asked to name me a superstar that came off the bench in the all-star game.

Kobe plays the same position and starts in the All Star game. You know that. That doesn't mean B-Roy isn't a superstar. I think he's a top 5 player in the league.

23LeBronJames23
08-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Yes he made the all-star, but superstars don't come off the bench, they start. That's why I asked to name me a superstar that came off the bench in the all-star game.

jordan had to come of the bench at the all star game too. so? i dont think that means alot

cobbler
08-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Kobe plays the same position and starts in the All Star game. You know that. That doesn't mean B-Roy isn't a superstar. I think he's a top 5 player in the league.

...and you thought the Blazers were going to win it all last year.

...and you think the same this year.

top 5? :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

j-money24
08-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Kobe plays the same position and starts in the All Star game. You know that. That doesn't mean B-Roy isn't a superstar.

:lmao

j-money24
08-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Deron Williams is a better player and a bigger star then B Roy, but sadly he hasn't been selected as an All Star yet.

j-money24
08-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Kobe
Lebron
Wade
Dwight
Melo
Garnett
Dirk
Duncan
Parker
Gasol
Durant
CP3
Deron
Amare

I believe all those players are better then Roy.
And theirs probably more, and those are just players from top of my head

JordanL
08-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Kobe
Lebron
Wade
Dwight
Melo
Garnett
Dirk
Duncan
Parker
Gasol
Durant
CP3
Deron
Amare

Well since Roy was 2nd team all-nba, the coaches think you're a dumbass.

tlongII
08-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Kobe
Lebron
Wade
Dwight
Melo
Garnett
Dirk
Duncan
Parker
Gasol
Durant
CP3
Deron
Amare

You are clueless.

tlongII
08-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Roy is the second best two guard in the NBA.

fify

JordanL
08-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Second team all-nba has nothing to do with being one of the top players. As you know, some of the top players play the same position. Roy is the second best two guard in the West, especially now that TMAC may never return to old form.

All I hear is excuses.

dirk4mvp
08-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Wade is worlds better than Roy. Tlong is retarded.

JordanL
08-08-2009, 03:18 AM
No excuses, I've already stated that there are only three superstars in this league.

A superstar is a media creation which has nothing to do with basketball... so I don't really care how many superstars you think there are in the league.

tomtom
08-08-2009, 04:44 AM

LoL our el pollo closed right after they gave away free chicken for like the whole day a few months ago

DxB
08-08-2009, 06:43 AM
No excuses, I've already stated that there are only three superstars in this league.

Da fuck cares what you stated?

Let me state that this then: Eat a dick bitch.

Muser
08-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Laka speaks the truth, Kobe/Wade/LeBron are the only high caliber players in todays NBA.

As for the 2 guard i'd take Wade/Kobe and maybe Joe Johnson at a push over Roy.

benefactor
08-08-2009, 10:16 AM
lol Tlong's Roy love. Maybe him and the Manusexuals need to get a house together.

JordanL
08-09-2009, 05:16 AM
Laka speaks the truth, Kobe/Wade/LeBron are the only high caliber players in todays NBA.

As for the 2 guard i'd take Wade/Kobe and maybe Joe Johnson at a push over Roy.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

JJ over Roy... from last year? Or this year?

:lmao:lmao:lmao

KSeal
08-09-2009, 05:24 AM
Roy is definitely better then Joe Johnson.

mystargtr34
08-09-2009, 07:05 AM
I would say ....

1. Kobe
2. Wade
3. Roy
4. Johnson
5. Manu

I think a healthy Manu can make a case to be above Johnson, and even Roy provided he can return to his 2007-2008 form pre injury. But until he proves it, i think its hard to put him any higher. Roy has probably seperated himself a little though.

fo'shizzle
08-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Kobe
Lebron
Wade
Dwight
Melo
Garnett
Dirk
Duncan
Parker
Gasol
Durant
CP3
Deron
Amare

Stop watching too much of Kobe and start watching other teams.
LOL at this list :rollin

DxB
08-09-2009, 01:32 PM
You cared enough to respond, sister.

Shutup bitch.

DxB
08-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Stop watching too much of Kobe and start watching other teams.
LOL at this list :rollin

Son Im a huge fan of B Roy but that list is pretty accurate minus durant and amare...

tlongII
08-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Roy is better than Wade imo. Wade has too many TO's.

djohn2oo8
08-09-2009, 09:49 PM

Really? Roy is better than Wade??? :lmao

BlackBellamy
08-09-2009, 09:51 PM

I don't know about that. Wade averaged 7 more points, slightly more rebounds, 2.4 more assists, 1.1 more steals, 1 more block and a better FG% per game than Roy. Really maybe turn-over ratio, FT % and 3-point % might be the only stats Roy owns Wade on.

tlongII
08-09-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't know about that. Wade averaged 7 more points, slightly more rebounds, 2.4 more assists, 1.1 more steals, 1 more block and a better FG% per game than Roy. Really maybe turn-over ratio, FT % and 3-point % might be the only stats Roy owns Wade on.

Roy's team won 54 games.

BlackBellamy
08-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Roy's team won 54 games.

Sure, but doesn't that support more that Roy's team is better than Wade's team, rather than Roy himself is better than Wade?

resistanze
08-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Wade's left nut > Roy

angelbelow
08-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Cool

mystargtr34
08-09-2009, 11:00 PM

Thats like Lakerfans argument that Bynum > Jefferson. Jefferson doesnt play defense as good, so Bynum is better. Despite the fact Jefferson is better in every other aspect of basketball.

mingus
08-09-2009, 11:09 PM
how is d-wade not a Superstar?

lefty
08-09-2009, 11:48 PM
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/216/960357_20090805_790screen007.jpg

BlackBellamy
08-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Kobe, James, and Duncan are the only true superstars.

No Shaq?

anakha
08-10-2009, 02:51 PM
No Shaq?

At this point in his career?

BlackBellamy
08-10-2009, 03:18 PM
At this point in his career?

No, but if your ask the casual fan, "who's a superstar in the NBA?", I'm sure a mass amount would include Shaq. The term superstar always seemed based on (and factored in) popularity as well as skill. I think it's just arguing semantics.

mystargtr34
08-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I think Wade is a superstar, when healthy. Duncan is no longer one.

JordanL
08-11-2009, 02:12 AM

How about we wait until we proclaim Roy as better than the player that had the best finals performance ever int he history of the NBA.

Lars
08-11-2009, 04:41 AM
Roy top 5? Come on man.