PDA

View Full Version : George Lopez Tonight

MannyIsGod
08-08-2009, 04:59 AM
Anyone going? I'm just going to watch it on HBO, but I bet its going to be an awesome show. I love George Lopez and I know if you're Mexican then you probably do too.

PM5K
08-08-2009, 05:14 AM
I was never super crazy about his stand-up, but I loved his show.

I'm not going either, just gonna stay home and eat bananas.

Jimcs50
08-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Manny, My wife, I and two other couples are going tonight. We are staying tonight on the riverwalk, so after the concert, we will club hop on river and not have to worry about driving.

We saw George in Houston three years ago at the Toyota Center and we laughed our asses off, he was fantastic.

The concert is live on HBO as well.

angel_luv
08-08-2009, 11:08 AM
I will be there briefly as the Terrace Club restaurant will be open and so I need to be at work.
But I am not staying for the show as am moving this weekend and want to get started on that asap.

I was scheduled at both my jobs today and so lost a lot of hours in which I wanted to move my belongings.

spursfan09
08-08-2009, 11:17 AM
My boyfriend and I are going tonight. So cited!

Ginobilly
08-08-2009, 12:24 PM
I'll be there! If anybody wants to meet up for a beer at the concession stand before the show begins, and smoke a "cigarette" PM me.:drunk

Trainwreck2100
08-08-2009, 12:27 PM
hopefully you can actually hear him this time

MannyIsGod
08-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Hope that those of you who went like it - I laughed my ass off at most of it.

SequSpur
08-09-2009, 11:59 AM
George Lopez is not funny. Sorry.

balli
08-09-2009, 12:03 PM
I thought the commercials for this newest special were about the dumbest, most placating ads I've ever seen.

But I'm glad you Chicanos enjoyed it. :tu

spursfan09
08-09-2009, 12:07 PM
I'll tell you one thing, all of stereotypical san antonio was out last night. I had no elbow room whats so ever, and somebody must of ate a few burritos before the show. Also there was this woman with this most annoying laugh ever.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-09-2009, 12:39 PM
I must admit I haven't really watched George Lopez much. The only time I saw him was in The Original Latin Kings of Comedy... and that shit was AWFUL! as in painful to watch. If he is like that in all his tours, then I wouldn't go to one of his shows if he paid me to.

Sense
08-09-2009, 01:03 PM
First couple times I listened to his jokes it was funny....

then I kept watching him... and I started to realize I've heard all of his jokes.... and it wasn't funny anymore.

robino2001
08-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Did he do an encore? The show was decent I thought... the last half was much funnier than the first I thought.

We went to the Robin Williams show in Austin earlier this year and it might be the best thing I've ever seen in person. His set (including his encore) was 2:15... looked at my watch after the end of it and it was the quickest 2+ hours I've ever experienced. I'm glad I didn't go see Lopez if it was all of that money for one 1:15 set.

mrsmaalox
08-09-2009, 01:53 PM
He can be funny depending on what the topic is. I like all his grandma material. I get bored with the "they want to send us back to Mexico" bullshit. He's a legal American
citizen, as I'm sure most of his audience is, so there really isn't an "us". I wouldn't pay money to see him.

Strike
08-09-2009, 02:06 PM
I don't find him funny at all. I've seen some of his specials, seen his tv show, and I don't laugh. Either I just don't get it or I have a different palate for comedy. I liked Paul Rodriguez back in the day much more. He was funny.

jack sommerset
08-09-2009, 02:32 PM
The dude is a racist but when he doesn't want whitey dead he can be funny.

CubanSucks
08-09-2009, 02:36 PM
He's been on a slippery slope ever since his first big standup (I think it was "why you crying?"). All his race related material used to be in good humor but now I don't see how you can't call it racism. And for everyone who says white people are uptight and can't take a joke, it's the complete opposite. No one laughs at themselves more than most white people do when a comedian is going at them (Richard Pryor, Dave Chappelle), the difference is Dave Chappelle's race material is good hearted and has stuff white people can actually relate to (like when he talks about getting high with his friend Kip)

BlackSwordsMan
08-09-2009, 02:37 PM
What a terrible special. Everything he said was making fun of white people

mrcoon29
08-09-2009, 04:32 PM
I laugh at his TV show - I do enjoy his show, but the end of this HBO special had me going "WTF? This isn't humor it's a political statement!" I did laugh at the grandma/parenting bit..my mom's brothers were forced to learn to swim by being thrown into the bayou!

Ginobilly
08-09-2009, 04:45 PM

Lets go Madison, I'm serious.

Ginobilly
08-09-2009, 04:52 PM
I don't find him funny at all. I've seen some of his specials, seen his tv show, and I don't laugh. Either I just don't get it or I have a different palate for comedy. I liked Paul Rodriguez back in the day much more. He was funny.

Yeah, not everybody is going to get his shit. Even some of the younger Mexican Americans my age don't get some of it. His whole material is meant to the blue collar MA people and those that made into the white collar social ladder that haven't lost their roots. Not everybody grew up eating easy mac and going jogging/ bird watching at Olmos park.

Ginobilly
08-09-2009, 04:55 PM

He made of black people too. But he makes fun of Mexicans the most if you hear most of his material throughout the years.

have a laugh and stop being butt hurt all the time.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-09-2009, 05:32 PM
My problem with him doesn't stem from his white people jokes or of any other race for that matter. My problem with him is I just don't find ANYTHING he does or says funny... at all. Its just excruciatingly bad IMO.

MannyIsGod
08-09-2009, 05:50 PM
A lot of butt hurt white people in this thread. You guys should probably never step foot in a comedy club if you think that is racist. Racism is huge in stand up. I don't see a problem with it.

balli
08-09-2009, 05:52 PM
eh maybe, but like mm said, it's possible to not find him humorous without being some sort of offended, elitist WASP.

MannyIsGod
08-09-2009, 05:54 PM
eh maybe, but like mm said, it's possible to not find him humorous without being some sort of offended, elitist WASP.

Sure. A lot of finding his stuff funny comes from identifying with what he's talking about. This is pretty much the rule with a lot of comedy based on culture.

If you take anything seriously from a comedy show I don't know what to tell you though.

Strike
08-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Racial comedy doesn't bother me. I just don't find Lopez funny. He has fairly good material, I just don't laugh at it. Dane Cook, on the other hand, is unfunny because he just sucks.

Sorry, Dane fans. I had to throw that in there for comparison and for my own personal amusement.

Strike
08-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Sure. A lot of finding his stuff funny comes from identifying with what he's talking about. This is pretty much the rule with a lot of comedy based on culture.

If you take anything seriously from a comedy show I don't know what to tell you though.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

InRareForm
08-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Lopez is hit or miss with lots of his stuff. I find his face reactions hillarious more than anything. He overdoes the white people things, and his voice doesn't really sound like a white person lol.

If he stuck with more hispanic stereotypes and stories, it would be a lot funnier. The show wasn't bad.

He is funny, not super hilarious every moment funny but he is funny.

Slydragon
08-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I thought his first special was way funnier than this last one. The first one had me cracking up from start to end and this one had me kinda like, hurry up to the next joke.

manufan10
08-09-2009, 08:02 PM
He can be funny depending on what the topic is. I like all his grandma material. I get bored with the "they want to send us back to Mexico" bullshit. He's a legal American
citizen, as I'm sure most of his audience is, so there really isn't an "us". I wouldn't pay money to see him.

+1 I think he goes a little overboard with that as well.

I laugh at his TV show - I do enjoy his show, but the end of this HBO special had me going "WTF? This isn't humor it's a political statement!" I did laugh at the grandma/parenting bit..my mom's brothers were forced to learn to swim by being thrown into the bayou!

The whole first segment with Sontomayor, I thought, was pretty stupid. Who cares if the "white people" or Republican voted against her. It wasn't because she's Latina, which he was inferring. It's due to her politics, which is understandable. A Conservative won't vote for a Liberal, and a Liberal won't vote for a Conservative. It just so happens that Lopez is a Democrat so he tries to make a big deal. I didn't hear him complaining when the Democrats were trying to block Alberto Gonzalez's nomination. Just saying.

PakiDan
08-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Hope that those of you who went like it - I laughed my ass off at most of it.

George Lopez used to be funny.... befire he became so militant. F#$k that Puto!

manufan10
08-09-2009, 08:33 PM
George Lopez used to be funny.... befire he became so militant. F#$k that Puto!

:lmao

mrsmaalox
08-09-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm not white or butthurt. I think some of his topics are funny, others are not. I think his success is admirable and I'm sure he has worked his ass off for it. I agree 100% that a comedy show is not the place to look for anything serious. I suppose I'm just a bit disappointed that a man with his following doesn't have a problem raking in millions of dollars by spreading false and very inflammatory information. I think it's a bit naive to believe that there aren't huge numbers of people admiring him and perpetuating that kind of thought (i.e. "they want to send us back"); just because we see our political parties and leaders do it everyday doesn't make it okay. The cultural/stereotype comedy is funny as hell, the political misinformation is not funny to me. I don't believe that George has any responsibility to be a role model or teacher to anyone, but I look forward to the day that he can knock the money grubbing chip off of his shoulder, and use his position and clout to help make real advances for the people who so greatly admire him. He could still be funny. :)

Sii
08-09-2009, 10:00 PM
it was ok. I wasn't offended or anything and have no problems with racial comedy

some parts were funnier than others

MannyIsGod
08-10-2009, 12:05 AM
I'm not white or butthurt. I think some of his topics are funny, others are not. I think his success is admirable and I'm sure he has worked his ass off for it. I agree 100% that a comedy show is not the place to look for anything serious. I suppose I'm just a bit disappointed that a man with his following doesn't have a problem raking in millions of dollars by spreading false and very inflammatory information. I think it's a bit naive to believe that there aren't huge numbers of people admiring him and perpetuating that kind of thought (i.e. "they want to send us back"); just because we see our political parties and leaders do it everyday doesn't make it okay. The cultural/stereotype comedy is funny as hell, the political misinformation is not funny to me. I don't believe that George has any responsibility to be a role model or teacher to anyone, but I look forward to the day that he can knock the money grubbing chip off of his shoulder, and use his position and clout to help make real advances for the people who so greatly admire him. He could still be funny. :)

It was a comedy show. Comedy. Why the fuck you're taking any of it seriously at all I have no idea.

You're right though. Lopez should actually do something for the community.

Oh wait.

http://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/378-george-lopez

Viva Las Espuelas
08-10-2009, 12:32 AM
i think the only thing funny is that he can bug his eyes out for such a long period of time, but hey........dane cook has an audience as well.

mrsmaalox
08-10-2009, 12:50 AM
It was a comedy show. Comedy. Why the fuck you're taking any of it seriously at all I have no idea.

You're right though. Lopez should actually do something for the community.

Oh wait.

http://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/378-george-lopez

I'm not taking any of his stuff seriously. I just hope others aren't either. But I have my doubts.

SA210
08-10-2009, 01:36 AM
I liked it, except for all the sex stuff. I liked all the other stuff though. Love that is was in SA too, sold out AT&T.

:tu

Hooks
08-10-2009, 04:45 AM
I'm not taking any of his stuff seriously. I just hope others aren't either. But I have my doubts.

ADM!

MMLV!-(Those aren't roman numerals)

He's was nervous in the beginning, I was watching his hands in the beginning when he was trying to make the number 1 and 2 with his fingers. They were shaking as well as the microphone, you can watch it in the beginning. His voice was also cracking too lol, a lot of pressure selling out in a down economy. It got better towards the later parts because he was more relaxed.

The 2nd half was the funniest, the only joke I can really remember from the first part is the "El Negro" "I smell Koolaid!" :rollin

lebomb
08-10-2009, 07:51 AM
I LOL'd..................... he said Obama was hispanic because he lives in a house that isnt his............he can get shot by walking out the front door...........his mother inlaw watches all his kids.............and he settles disputes with a group of people while drinking beer. That shit was funny!!!!!

Heath Ledger
08-10-2009, 09:49 AM
What exactly is so funny about a racist mexican?

spursfan09
08-10-2009, 09:50 AM
I LOL'd..................... he said Obama was hispanic because he lives in a house that isnt his............he can get shot by walking out the front door...........his mother inlaw watches all his kids.............and he settles disputes with a group of people while drinking beer. That shit was funny!!!!!

:lol

So is Palin, because she has an infant son and and infant grandkid.

Soul_Patch
08-10-2009, 10:12 AM
What exactly is so funny about a racist mexican?

I dunno, but the mexicans in SA love it.

I find him about a half a notch better than Mencia...:rolleyes

Ginobilly
08-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Lopez is hit or miss with lots of his stuff. I find his face reactions hillarious more than anything. He overdoes the white people things, and his voice doesn't really sound like a white person lol.

If he stuck with more hispanic stereotypes and stories, it would be a lot funnier. The show wasn't bad.

He is funny, not super hilarious every moment funny but he is funny.

He's alright as a comedian. I personally find Gabriel Iglesias and Dave chapelle funnier.

Jimcs50
08-10-2009, 11:18 AM
I laughed my ass off and I am white :)

The only proble I had was WTF did the ATT Center not have the scoreboard down with video running. We were up at top of the center and that litle video behind the stage was not even visable to us. If you could see that screen, then you did not even need it. Half of George's comedy is looking at his hilarious facial expressions and from 12,000 ft above the stage, all we can see is a man in a suit. When we saw him at the Toyota Center, they had the scoreboard down with video on all 4 sides so it was 10 times better.

robino2001
08-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I laughed my ass off and I am white :)

The only proble I had was WTF did the ATT Center not have the scoreboard down with video running. We were up at top of the center and that litle video behind the stage was not even visable to us. If you could see that screen, then you did not even need it. Half of George's comedy is looking at his hilarious facial expressions and from 12,000 ft above the stage, all we can see is a man in a suit. When we saw him at the Toyota Center, they had the scoreboard down with video on all 4 sides so it was 10 times better.

I've never been to an arena show of any kind (concert, comedy, circus type, etc) that had the scordboard showing video outside of a sporting event. I'd imagine it'd be too bright and a distraction when the arena is kept so dark. That said, Robin Williams had two massive screens to his sides... most concerts bring their own screens (Coldplay had screens throughout the arena in little spheres/balls - that was cool). Afterall, Kayne's screen was like 8 stories tall last year...

That's why you gotta drop the money to get great seats for a show like this, but that said, the screen he had was quite small for such a large arena.

Jimcs50
08-10-2009, 11:37 AM
I've never been to an arena show of any kind (concert, comedy, circus type, etc) that had the scordboard showing video outside of a sporting event. I'd imagine it'd be too bright and a distraction when the arena is kept so dark. That said, Robin Williams had two massive screens to his sides... most concerts bring their own screens (Coldplay had screens throughout the arena in little spheres/balls - that was cool). Afterall, Kayne's screen was like 8 stories tall last year...

That's why you gotta drop the money to get great seats for a show like this, but that said, the screen he had was quite small for such a large arena.

I paid $75 a ticket and that was the best seats that were available when I got them 3 wks ago. So for that kind of jack, they should have accomodated those of us in the nosebleed section.

Chingo Bling
08-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Mas puto!!!!!!!

Shelly
08-10-2009, 12:15 PM
The 69 bit was hilarious and pharts are always phunny. However, I wouldn't pay to see him.

Jimcs50
08-10-2009, 12:50 PM
The 69 bit was hilarious and pharts are always phunny. However, I wouldn't pay to see him.

Would you pay to see me, Shelly? :)

Biernutz
08-10-2009, 06:01 PM
George was very bitter about his show being canceled. He blamed everyone but the show was getting stale. I watched about 30 minutes into the show on HBO Saturday night but it just was not funny to me and I channel hopped. Maybe it got better as time went on. I have watched HBO for more than 15 years but they seem to have gotten away from movies and music and more shows with a political theme.

Pablo Escobar
08-12-2009, 12:06 AM
anybody know the name of the guy that opens for him my buddy went to see him when he came to odessa said he was way funnier than him