PDA

View Full Version : Jan 12 -Lakers Vs Spurs - Question

halester
08-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Fellow Spurs fans, on Jan -10 I will be flying in from L.A. to watch our Mighty Spurs take a swing at the hated Lakers (Jan 12th). I can't even begin to tell you the crap I have had to put up over the long long years living in Laker Land. This year seemed worst then the previous years as the band wagoners jumped on as well toward the end.
Every year I catch the Spurs VS Lakers and Spurs Vs Clippers at the Staple center and try to leave LA without losing my car and bullet free!

This year I have decided to travel to San Antonio and watch the Laker-Spur game with my people! I am very excited about this and was hoping some locals can give me some advice or answer a few questions for me:

*Should I buy my tickets now from a season ticket holder or wait till they go on sale.(I want to make sure I get good seats since i"m flying out there)

* I want to stay in a Hotel on the River walk - any suggestions?

* If I stay in a hotel on the River walk do I need a rental car to get to the AT&T Center and bars or is it a short taxi trip?

* How far is the Riverwalk from the San Antonio airport?

* Any restaurants - bars or other attractions you recommend while I am there? I will be there from Sun10-WED-13.

Any suggestions will be very appreciated!

Thank You!

HALE

ploto
08-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Are you buying a single seat? You can normally find some great single seats on the lower level after they go on sale, but being the Lakers, I can not be sure. You could stay at the Westin Downtown- I think the Lakers still stay there when in town, if you want that kind of thing.

halester
08-08-2009, 09:59 AM
I would be buying at least 3 seats and just looking for a nice hotel.

Nathan Explosion
08-08-2009, 10:05 AM
First off, the Riverwalk is close to the Alamodome, and if you're going to a Spurs game there, you can get any seat in the house as they'll all be available because the Spurs play in the AT&T Center.

All kidding aside, there are 3 hotels on the Riverwalk that are the most prominent, the Marriott hotels and the Westin.

Downtown is about a 15 minute trip down 281 from the airport, with good traffic. Once you get downtown, you don't really need a car to go anywhere, as you can walk.

For seats, that'll be tough because the Lakers are a big draw and season ticket holders tend to hold on to those seats for themselves.

halester
08-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the stadium tip..uugh!I have found season tickets for sale now so maybe i should jump on them now! Thanks for the information..

Mel_13
08-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Submit your e-mail address at Spurs.com

http://www.nba.com/spurs/enews/signup.html

Single game tickets will go on sale in October. Once you register, they will send e-mails with the details and send you a password for a presale several days before they go on sale to the general public. Plan on being online exactly when the presale begins and see what is available. If that doesn't work you'll still have almost three months to find your best deal in the secondary markets.

halester
08-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Mel--Perfect! Thanks..I'm trying to get Hotel flight and tickets taking care of ASAP.

MONEY!

benefactor
08-08-2009, 10:22 AM
I usually get tickets on StubHub when I go to SA. They have good prices and there are usually tickets available in just about any section.

halester
08-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Benefactor-I have been on StubHub checking seats, but nothing to great for a 3-4 seat package. I know its early so, i will check more often..

Thanks!

Mel_13
08-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Benefactor-I have been on StubHub checking seats, but nothing to great for a 3-4 seat package. I know its early so, i will check more often..

Thanks!

Stubhub and Ebay are both good sources. Keep in mind that Season Ticket Holders will not receive their tickets until the last week in September. The listings for resales will increase after Oct 1st.

halester
08-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Stubhub and Ebay are both good sources. Keep in mind that Season Ticket Holders will not receive their tickets until the last week in September. The listings for resales will increase after Oct 1st.

Mel, once again great info..Thanks

ploto
08-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Mel--Perfect! Thanks..I'm trying to get Hotel flight and tickets taking care of ASAP.

The pre-sale seats are usually not very good-- how much are you willing to spend?

halester
08-08-2009, 12:33 PM
The pre-sale seats are usually not very good-- how much are you willing to spend?

$150-$200 per seat...

The_Game
08-08-2009, 12:34 PM
a guy from L.A who supports the Spurs? odd...

JustinJDW
08-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Really cool man. I also live in Los Angeles. Their are a lot of homers and bandwagoners here.

halester
08-08-2009, 12:52 PM

Trust me when I say it hasn't been an easy thing to do! :flag:
I remember in 2001 the Lakers swept the Spurs in the Western Finals--The next day my desk was completely covered with brooms! I'm not sure where they got them, but you could not see my desk! 99-02 was just miserable with there 3peat, but along came 02-03 season and I had my revenge!!!

halester
08-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Really cool man. I also live in Los Angeles. Their are a lot of homers and bandwagoners here.

It got bad this season with all the Fakers coming out! Those freaking flags from there windows made me sick...I got a good feeling about this year...we have the hunger now!!!

eyeh8u
08-08-2009, 01:01 PM
This year I have decided to travel to San Antonio and watch the Laker-Spur game with my people! I am very excited about this and was hoping some locals can give me some advice or answer a few questions for me:

HALE

Rich Bastard :)

Not that odd, im another one.

halester
08-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Rich Bastard :)

Lol--I wish!

SteelerNation
08-08-2009, 01:12 PM
I was the opposite...a Laker fan living in S.A., but I wised up and saw the error in my ways. I have switched to the home team.:flag:

The_Game
08-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Trust me when I say it hasn't been an easy thing to do! :flag:
I remember in 2001 the Lakers swept the Spurs in the Western Finals--The next day my desk was completely covered with brooms! I'm not sure where they got them, but you could not see my desk! 99-02 was just miserable with there 3peat, but along came 02-03 season and I had my revenge!!!

Props to you....can't be easy I'm sure.

More so when you considering how crazy it is in L.A with all things Laker related....

SteelerNation
08-08-2009, 01:23 PM
As for your other questions:

The Marriot, the Hilton, Crowne Plaza,...any of these are nice hotels.
You will need a car to get to the AT&T center from downtown
Some cool bars to check out are Coyote Ugly's, Dicks Last resort, and Howling At The Moon.(and there are a bunch all around those) And those you wont need a car for. You walk to those from your hotel.
Other attractions: The Alamo, Ripleys Believe it or not, The Tower, The Missions, and a bunch of cool shops all around. Like Market Square.
Restuarants: Mortons, The Palm, and Little Rhein Steak House are good but pricey.

Nathan Explosion
08-08-2009, 02:09 PM
I work with a Lakers fan, a transplant from San Diego. I also have a vendor who's an LA transplant. Both of them respectful fans who love their team. The vendor even went to LA for the championship parade, but he tells me that LA isn't all LAkers fans, mostly bandwagoners.

In fact, I remember seeing the attendance figures for the parade and it was about half as many people in LA as there is in SA when the Spurs win.

BlackBellamy
08-08-2009, 02:13 PM
As for your other questions:
Some cool bars to check out are Coyote Ugly's, Dicks Last resort, and Howling At The Moon.

"Cool bars"? I dunno man. The best bars are on St. Mary's (La Tuna, The Mix, Limelight, Salute, etc..).

Nathan Explosion
08-08-2009, 02:15 PM
"Cool bars"? I dunno man. The best bars are on St. Mary's (La Tuna, The Mix, Limelight, Salute, etc..).

Web House is starting to grow on me a bit. My friend DJs there so I have incentive to go. But the drink are cheap and really good.

The Limelight is pretty nice although I've only been there a handful of time. The Mix is awesome. It's just a chill place to hang and listen to music or just chat the night away (well yell really with all the music) with friends.

duncan228
08-08-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm in Orange County and have had good experiences with true Lakers fans. I can talk about the game with them and they can appreciate the Spurs as an elite team. The bandwagon Laker fans usually only have 'the Spurs suck'. They can't talk about the game because they don't really follow it. Wearing Spurs gear around here brings both out, it's always an adventure. :lol

BlackBellamy
08-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Web House is starting to grow on me a bit. My friend DJs there so I have incentive to go. But the drink are cheap and really good.

The Limelight is pretty nice although I've only been there a handful of time. The Mix is awesome. It's just a chill place to hang and listen to music or just chat the night away (well yell really with all the music) with friends.

I work a few nights a week at Limelight, so I am a bit biased. I agree about the Webhouse, however the stabbing their recently kinda soured me a bit to it.
The Mix used to be so crazy, it's kinda nice that it died down a bit. Is your friend John Mata?

Nathan Explosion
08-08-2009, 02:22 PM
I work a few nights a week at Limelight, so I am a bit biased. I agree about the Webhouse, however the stabbing their recently kinda soured me a bit to it.
The Mix used to be so crazy, it's kinda nice that it died down a bit. Is your friend John Mata?

Nope, Justin, or Coyote Cacophony as he calls himself.

halester
08-08-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm in Orange County and have had good experiences with true Lakers fans. I can talk about the game with them and they can appreciate the Spurs as an elite team. The bandwagon Laker fans usually only have 'the Spurs suck'. They can't talk about the game because they don't really follow it. Wearing Spurs gear around here brings both out, it's always an adventure. :lol

Duncan228..

I live In Yorba Linda..were you at?

halester
08-08-2009, 03:51 PM
I really appreciate everybody's input! I feel like I know what the hell i'm supposed to do now! I think I might try and hit 90% of the bars posted with the three days I will be there!

Dex
08-08-2009, 03:54 PM
I've also found good deals on pairs or sets of seats on eBay. You might check it out if you're still not having any luck.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=spurs+lakers+1%2F12&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=US_Tickets_all_in_one&_odkw=spurs+lakers&_osacat=0

halester
08-08-2009, 04:00 PM
I've also found good deals on pairs or sets of seats on eBay. You might check it out if you're still not having any luck.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=spurs+lakers+1%2F12&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=US_Tickets_all_in_one&_odkw=spurs+lakers&_osacat=0

Thanks Dex! I'm on it....

duncan228
08-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Duncan228..

I live In Yorba Linda..were you at?

Irvine.

AnthonyM
08-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Just go to Pat O'Brien's on Wednesday if you get the chance though I doubt you will since you said you were here from Sunday through Wednesday,but they have 2 dollar anythings, 3 dollar Grey Goose, 4 dollar Patron, and 4 dollar Hurricanes all night and it usually gets pretty packed...other than that some bars may be dead from Sun through Tues...but you can still go and have a good time at the bars downtown...

As far as the game, I agree with Nathan Explosion being that the Spurs-Lakers good seats are hard to come by...season ticket holders that I know make sure not to let those tickets get away...so if you find something in the lower level it'd probably be worth spending the money to get them...

And if you do decide to take your chances with StubHub or Ebay or TicketMaster...just be sure to be online the minute they go on sale...

Good Luck...

lennyalderette
08-08-2009, 05:12 PM
i sent you a private msg check it out

halester
08-08-2009, 05:43 PM
i sent you a private msg check it out

Thanks --MONEY!

DynastySpurs210
08-08-2009, 06:00 PM
um just another game!

halester
08-08-2009, 06:06 PM
um just another game!

True, but I have been watching this match up in LA for years..Thought it might be kind of cool to cheer on my team In SA! Thats why I picked this game..

robino2001
08-09-2009, 10:34 AM
For $150-200 a seat, you should be able to find back of the lower level seats from someone. I usually get offered $100+ per seat every year for my front of the upper deck Spurs/Lakers seats... just gotta keep looking around. I always try and pick a city to travel to for a game every year as well just to experience the different places. Good luck and enjoy your trip to town.