PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Rubio: Reportedly Staying In Spain

duncan228
08-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Ricky Rubio: Reportedly Staying in Spain (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=rotowire-ickyubioeportedlytay&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy)

Rubio has decided to put an end to the issue of transferring and will remain with DKV Joventut where he has two years left on his contract, Canis Hoopus reports.

It is unfortunate how this all turned out, but this should officially mark the end of the ongoing speculation that has surrounded Rubio over the past month about whether he would play for Minnesota this season. Jonny Flynn will head into next season as the unquestioned starter at point guard.

BacktoBasics
08-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Players should not have the option to pull this shit. Especially a sorry piece of shit like Rubio.Exactly what has he "pulled". He was under contract. He tried for a buyout. Twice. What exactly do you fucking expect him to do?

lil_penny
08-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Damn I was hoping he was going to get bought out so he could come over...

23LeBronJames23
08-08-2009, 03:04 PM
hes stupid

monosylab1k
08-08-2009, 03:07 PM
The Twolves just blew a draft pick. What do they get out of this deal? Am I missing something?

How is that Rubio's fault?

monosylab1k
08-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Am I missing something?

Rubio has to pay his Spanish team 6.6 million dollars to get out of his contract. The Timberwolves can pay ONLY 500k of that. So Rubio has to pay basically all of that buyout out of his own pocket. He doesn't have that much money and has been seeking endorsement deals to cover the cost of the buyout.

If he plays another year in Spain, his buyout cost is reduced. If he gets the money to cover the cost of the buyout this season, he can play for the T-Wolves.

This isn't a case of Rubio holding out to screw over the T-Wolves. If he got traded to the Knicks or Lakers or Mavericks, he'd be in the same boat. The NBA team can only pay 500k of that buyout.

monosylab1k
08-08-2009, 03:19 PM
You mis-read my post. The league should not allow players to be drafted while having other contract obligations that could prevent that player from playing with the team that drafted him.

And how is that Rubio's fault? Entering the draft in a weak draft year obviously helps him out, and if he can get the money to take a buyout then he gets to play in the NBA.

The Timberwolves were fully aware of the situation beforehand, and they still drafted him. It's their own damn fault.

Players should not have the option to pull this shit. Especially a sorry piece of shit like Rubio.

Explain this. Maybe you mis-read your own post.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Rubio has to pay his Spanish team 6.6 million dollars to get out of his contract. The Timberwolves can pay ONLY 500k of that. So Rubio has to pay basically all of that buyout out of his own pocket. He doesn't have that much money and has been seeking endorsement deals to cover the cost of the buyout.

If he plays another year in Spain, his buyout cost is reduced. If he gets the money to cover the cost of the buyout this season, he can play for the T-Wolves.

This isn't a case of Rubio holding out to screw over the T-Wolves. If he got traded to the Knicks or Lakers or Mavericks, he'd be in the same boat. The NBA team can only pay 500k of that buyout.

$8.2 million. The buyout on June 30 increased to $8.2 million. I think it goes to $10 million next year at some point.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-08-2009, 03:38 PM
You mis-read my post. The league should not allow players to be drafted while having other contract obligations that could prevent that player from playing with the team that drafted him.

Then there will NEVER be another foreign player drafted EVER.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Let me be a little more clearer. Rubio knew he had a contract with his current team that could possibly prevent him from playing in the NBA. Rubio, and Rubio only made the choice to enter the draft, knowing he already had a contract that could prevent him from playing for the team that drafted him. Guys in the situation of Rubio should not be allowed to enter the NBA draft. The TWOLVES were stupid for drafting him in the first place, but the NBA should have never allowed it to begin with.

EVERY foreign player that is ever drafted is under contract dummy.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-08-2009, 03:49 PM
So you mean to tell me that the contracts over in Europe are for life. Europe is so fucked up that players cannot sign 3,4,5 year contracts, and then decide to come to the NBA.

You sure I'm the dumb one here?

You are obviously extremely ignorant.

Darthkiller
08-08-2009, 03:53 PM
I dont think Lakaluva has any idea what he is talking about.

anyways. Kahn knew rubio has the buyout situation( which is why other teams passed on him), he wont last till Rubio comes to the Wolves.

Findog
08-08-2009, 04:42 PM
The Twolves just blew a draft pick. What do they get out of this deal? Am I missing something?

Don't they have his rights for two years? Or can he enter the draft next year again if he and the Wolves fail to come to an agreement?

ChumpDumper
08-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Don't they have his rights for two years? Or can he enter the draft next year again if he and the Wolves fail to come to an agreement?As long as he plays for other professional teams elsewhere, the Wolves will hold his NBA rights. He might actually be doing them a favor staying away for a couple of years, as he's probably that far away from making an impact.

Texas_Ranger
08-08-2009, 05:00 PM
It's a good thing that he was on the draft. What a piece of overrated shit!

ChumpDumper
08-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Eh, dude's not even 19 yet. He'll likely benefit from the reduced schedule over there playing sixty some-odd games including the playoffs instead of 82 NBA games and no playoffs.

Findog
08-08-2009, 05:13 PM
As long as he plays for other professional teams elsewhere, the Wolves will hold his NBA rights. He might actually be doing them a favor staying away for a couple of years, as he's probably that far away from making an impact.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I agree that the Wolves are not getting screwed here. Personally, I thought they should've taken Curry/Flynn and been set in the backcourt for years to come, but since they're not going to the playoffs anytime soon, they can afford to wait for Rubio.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-08-2009, 05:37 PM
In Greece was just announced. Von Wafer and Linas Kleiza signed with Olympiacos.

The Franchise
08-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks, that's what I thought. I agree that the Wolves are not getting screwed here. Personally, I thought they should've taken Curry/Flynn and been set in the backcourt for years to come, but since they're not going to the playoffs anytime soon, they can afford to wait for Rubio.

That is exactly what their GM said on draft night. They don't mind waiting for him to play out his contract, because they aren't looking to contend any time soon.

ChumpDumper
08-08-2009, 05:42 PM
In Greece was just announced. Von Wafer and Linas Kleiza signed with Olympiacos.So what does that have to do with Rubio?

Texas_Ranger
08-08-2009, 05:44 PM
In Greece was just announced. Von Wafer and Linas Kleiza signed with Olympiacos.

Start a new thread. Everyone will be happy.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Start a new thread. Everyone will be happy.

The DAMN pink thing will not let me. I have ask timvp and kori many times to take me off pink and they refuse.

Rogue
08-08-2009, 05:55 PM
The DAMN pink thing will not let me. I have ask timvp and kori many times to take me off pink and they refuse.
Sometimes Lj and his wife do toss some stupid pinkies onto decent posters like stretch, but yours is well deserved IMHO.

ChumpDumper
08-08-2009, 05:57 PM
The DAMN pink thing will not let me. I have ask timvp and kori many times to take me off pink and they refuse.Why don't you just put it in one of the Olympiakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkos threads?

sprrs
08-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Not a huge problem. The Spurs had to wait two years to get DRob. If Rubio turns out to be as good as advertised, he'll be worth the wait. Assuming he actually wants to play with the Timberwolves that is.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Sometimes Lj and his wife do toss some stupid pinkies onto decent posters like stretch, but yours is well deserved IMHO.

Why? I have followed all the rules here.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Why don't you just put it in one of the Olympiakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkos threads?

The pink thing will not let me. You can only respond to threads for the current day.

ChumpDumper
08-08-2009, 06:00 PM
:lol sucks to be you then.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-08-2009, 06:18 PM
:lol sucks to be you then.

You have caused many many fights and arguments in this forum.......how come you have never been pinked?

Kobayagi
08-08-2009, 06:25 PM
The pink thing will not let me. You can only respond to threads for the current day.

Whoever thought of that, is a genius. :tu

ChumpDumper
08-08-2009, 06:28 PM
You have caused many many fights and arguments in this forum.......how come you have never been pinked?Because I don't lose my shit like you do.

I also leave my IP address unhidden.

TheProfessor
08-08-2009, 06:30 PM
You have caused many many fights and arguments in this forum.......how come you have never been pinked?
If that was the standard, the majority of posters here would be pinked.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Here is proof of what I say as the LIAR Chmupdumper keeps spreading his lies about me.

http://www.sport-fm.gr/article/189293

ChumpDumper
08-08-2009, 07:06 PM
This has nothing to do with Rubio.

No lie.

Quit spamming.

mogrovejo
08-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Rubio may play in Europe next season (although joining the Wolves is the most probable outcome), but he won't stay with Joventut.

The Kleiza signing isn't a certain thing yet. Olympiacos will be spending insane money next season.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Rubio may play in Europe next season (although joining the Wolves is the most probable outcome), but he won't stay with Joventut.

The Kleiza signing isn't a certain thing yet. Olympiacos will be spending insane money next season.

Kleiza's agent already announced it a done deal yesterday. So consider him an Olympiacos player.

Also Olympiacos said they will release Thomas Kelati so that they can sign another NBA player which according to rumors is either Raymond Felton, Allen Iverson, or Nate Robinson.

BUMP
08-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Kleiza was tired of the shower-time gang rapes.....same reason why people dont stick around long at KBPs apartment

The Franchise
08-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Euro trash loves digging through our garbage bins.

Euroleague=The NBA Goodwill dept. :lol

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Euroleague=The NBA Goodwill dept. :lol

Funny how Rockets have 2 starters from this good will trash bin.

The Franchise
08-09-2009, 12:25 AM
Funny how Rockets have 2 starters from this good will trash bin.

The difference is our eighth man off the bench will be your team saviour, but your best players will only be role players in the NBA at best. Von Wafer got 5.5 million Euros for two years when he couldn't get more than 1.5 million in the NBA. :wow

08-09-2009, 01:29 AM
why is there a rule allowing a NBA team to only contribute $500,000 for a buyout again?

23LeBronJames23
08-09-2009, 02:41 AM
Kleiza's agent already announced it a done deal yesterday. So consider him an Olympiacos player.

Also Olympiacos said they will release Thomas Kelati so that they can sign another NBA player which according to rumors is either Raymond Felton, Allen Iverson, or Nate Robinson.

Nate better not go. i like watching him play

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-09-2009, 11:15 PM
The difference is our eighth man off the bench will be your team saviour, but your best players will only be role players in the NBA at best. Von Wafer got 5.5 million Euros for two years when he couldn't get more than 1.5 million in the NBA. :wow

Are you an idiot? Wafer will be an average level starter player at Euroleague level.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-09-2009, 11:15 PM
You don't get it. We take your best players, pay them less money, while you take our worst players, and pay them more money.:toast

Wafer is not the worst NBA player.

Scola and Andersen were never ever the best players in Europe.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Who was better than Scola 3 years ago?

This is a joke right?

Siskauskas
Spanoulis
Papaloukas
Parker

Scola was never at any point the best Euroleague player. NBA fans are by far the dumbest of all sports fans in world.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Yeah and according to you Iverson will be a role player as well.

You are not even a basketball fan.

Wafer will be far better in Europe than Iverson would be. Not even close.

YellowFever
08-10-2009, 03:06 AM
How is that Rubio's fault?

That is why it's Rubio's fault.

I mean wtf did he expect?

Edit: And another thing, are the Wolves management this stupid to draft a guy with that much baggage? Guess so.

BG_Spurs_Fan
08-10-2009, 04:49 AM
If they are able to convince Rubio and Pekovic ( a former pick ) to sign in a year or two, then Minny will have a pretty good young core.If I'm not mistaken this is Pekovic's last season in Greece and he might be open to a move to the NBA next summer. He was their 31st pick so will be able to get a decent contract too.

baseline bum
08-10-2009, 05:17 AM
Edit: And another thing, are the Wolves management this stupid to draft a guy with that much baggage? Guess so.

What's the big deal? You let him play out the two years overseas knowing you got a PG with great potential with the #5 pick in an awful draft. It's not like Minnesota is competing for a playoff spot right now.

Kriz-Maxima
08-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I don't get whats the big deal either. It seems it was a risk that the Wolves deemed worthy to take. In a couple of years they still have an incredibly young, perhaps good PG coming to the team for cheap. If he doesn't want to come to Minny I guess they can trade his rights as a sweetener in a trade.

And I don't get why people seem to think Rubio is screwing them over, his buyout was well known before the draft, and everybody knew he couldn't pay. If in a couple of years he still doesn't want to come to Minny, no buyout involved, then people can talk about him being an asshole.

Rogue
08-10-2009, 09:03 AM
That is why it's Rubio's fault.

I mean wtf did he expect?

Rubio's Espanol club should do him a favor in releasing him to NBA, or at least some Espanol banks should loan Rubio some cash to pay for the buyout and I'm sure Rubio will give back the money before long. Had Manu come to NBA as soon as getting drafted then I guess the debate about who is the better player between him and Dirk would be much debatable though Dirk would still win it anyway. You thought it's Rubio's fault to pick up a chance for realizing his dream of becoming a basketball superstar, then why did you come to America as an idiot begging for food on streets in South LA. What an idiot you are.

BacktoBasics
08-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Lets not lose site of the fact that lakaluva is a complete moron in this thread.

duncan228
08-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Kahn: Rubio’s buyout ‘still very problematic’ (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-timberwolves-rubio&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Jon Krawczynski

Minnesota Timberwolves president David Kahn said point guard Ricky Rubio’s buyout situation is “still very problematic” and he remains unsure of when the fifth overall pick will come to the United States.

Rubio has two years remaining on his contract with DKV Joventut Badalona, his professional team in Spain, and has yet to be able to negotiate down a buyout number that is at least $6.6 million.

“I believe his representatives are working diligently to get a solution. I have no idea at this point whether a solution can be reached. But I believe we kind of know what the parameters are and I think that we have a chance,” Kahn said Monday after announcing that Lakers assistant Kurt Rambis will be the team’s next head coach. “But I wouldn’t even begin to state the percentage toward that chance of this being accomplished this season versus next season or even two seasons. It’s still very problematic.”

The Timberwolves selected Rubio with the No. 5 pick in the June draft, right before choosing another point guard in Jonny Flynn at No. 6. But they can only contribute $500,000 toward the buyout under NBA rules, which handicaps their ability to convince an 18-year-old kid who made just $97,000 to make a huge financial commitment to chase his dream in the league.

After watching other teams in Spain submit much larger buyout offers to Joventut, Kahn said that NBA limit may need to be re-examined at some point.

“The buyout amount is a very steep amount,” he said. “Unfortunately for us, the Timberwolves, we have to play this with one hand tied behind our back.”

There was talk initially that Rubio did not want to play in the chilly, small market in Minnesota. But Kahn, who traveled to Spain to meet with Rubio’s family and officials from Joventut, echoed comments made by owner Glen Taylor last week that that is not the case.

Kahn called the buyout element “the singular issue” that is preventing Rubio from joining the Wolves.

Rubio is training with the Spanish national team, and Kahn reiterated his stance that the rebuilding Wolves can “think of a lot worse things than we have to wait a year or two.”

He also clarified his position on playing Flynn and Rubio together with the Timberwolves. When he drafted the point guards back-to-back in June, Kahn said he saw the two playing off each other much the way Detroit’s smaller backcourt of Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars did with the Pistons.

Skeptics wondered how that would work with Flynn and Rubio, two players that rely more on dribble-drive penetration than outside shooting and excel when the ball is in their hands.

But Kahn said Monday that both should expect to play heavy minutes right from the start, though not necessarily at the same time during the games.

“You can very easily come up with a scenario where both Ricky Rubio and Jonny Flynn would play approximately 30-32 minutes and be on the floor together for a grand total of about 16 minutes,” Kahn said. “I think that there’s kind of been this sense that they can’t play together and people are saying like for the whole game.

“That’s never been the vision. They can’t possibly play together the whole game and they’re not ready to play together the whole game.”

Instead, Kahn sees the two point guards as the one-two punch in a fastbreak attack under Rambis, the former member of the Showtime Lakers in the 1980s.

“With one kid 18 and one 20, it probably would be a mistake to play either of them minutes in the mid to high 30s,” Kahn said. “They’re probably not ready to do that, especially at that position.”

YellowFever
08-10-2009, 08:32 PM
What's the big deal? You let him play out the two years overseas knowing you got a PG with great potential with the #5 pick in an awful draft. It's not like Minnesota is competing for a playoff spot right now.

I hear ya, it makes sense.

But what makes more sense is for them to get a PG to grow with the team and be a serious contender in a few years.

Even if they get a decent team in a few years, it'll take a couple of years after that to incorporate Rubio into their rotation, style of play..etc..etc.

I've seen the guy play alot of times. He's not just going to seamlessly fit in. He's going to have to take his lumps when he gets into this league for a couple of years. Will the Wolves waste a couple of years getting him...and then waste a couple more for him to fit in?

YellowFever
08-10-2009, 08:34 PM
....then why did you come to America as an idiot begging for food on streets in South LA. What an idiot you are.

Look elsewhere to do your trolling, boy.
I'm not interested.

Rodriguez
08-10-2009, 08:48 PM

But what makes more sense is for them to get a PG to grow with the team and be a serious contender in a few years.

Even if they get a decent team in a few years, it'll take a couple of years after that to incorporate Rubio into their rotation, style of play..etc..etc.

I've seen the guy play alot of times. He's not just going to seamlessly fit in. He's going to have to take his lumps when he gets into this league for a couple of years. Will the Wolves waste a couple of years getting him...and then waste a couple more for him to fit in?
Ricky Rubio is a fucking genius, apparently his talent can hardly be noticed by morons.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-10-2009, 08:51 PM
If they are able to convince Rubio and Pekovic ( a former pick ) to sign in a year or two, then Minny will have a pretty good young core.If I'm not mistaken this is Pekovic's last season in Greece and he might be open to a move to the NBA next summer. He was their 31st pick so will be able to get a decent contract too.

Nope. Pekovic will play 2 more years with Panathinaikos.

ChumpDumper
08-11-2009, 04:44 AM

I've seen the guy play alot of times. He's not just going to seamlessly fit in. He's going to have to take his lumps when he gets into this league for a couple of years. Will the Wolves waste a couple of years getting him...and then waste a couple more for him to fit in?So he'll be, what, 22 by then?

baseline bum
08-11-2009, 05:13 AM

Ginobili only needed a season to get used to the NBA, and even that was mostly because of a lingering injury from the world championships. Not that Rubio is yet anywhere near as accomplished as Manu was in Europe, but the talent's definitely there.

mingus
08-11-2009, 06:16 AM

maybe YOU need to re-read what you typed. you said Rubio had a choice to turn down Minny and now you're saying he doesn't ("contract obligtions")... wtf? :bang

you're a moron. go troll; you suck at trying to make sense.

Mori Chu
08-11-2009, 02:13 PM
The league should not allow players to be drafted while having other contract obligations that could prevent that player from playing with the team that drafted him.

I totally agree with this. If a guy enters the NBA draft, he should be bound to play in the NBA for the coming season else be barred from playing pro basketball. It's BS that you can draft a guy and then he can just skip the country on you. You shouldn't be allowed to enter the draft if you already have a binding contract with some other league's team and haven't gotten out of it yet. People say this $500k buyout limit is ridiculous, but I don't think NBA teams should be expected to buy out these Euro guys in the first place. Those overseas teams should not be allowed to hold the NBA hostage like that. I think the NBA should have a $0 buyout limit.

The Franchise
08-11-2009, 02:39 PM
If a team drafts someone knowing they have contract obligations, they accept the fact that that player might not be available at the time. Forcing players to commit to the NBA would only make the talent pool smaller, and keep teams from getting a talented player they may not have access to in the future. The system in place works and I don't see any good reason to change it.

SonOfAGun
08-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Good luck getting the ring to Mordor, Rubio!

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Olympiacos owners announced officially Wafer. The press conference will happen when he gets to Athens.

http://www.olympiacos.org/#/Article/26198/

YellowFever
08-11-2009, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=ChumpDumper;3625699]So he'll be, what, 22 by then?[/QUOTE

You missed the point.

Rubio's age is irrelevant. It's the fact that the Wolves just have to wait that much longer to see if he'll fit in. Run him through the mills to see if he's worth keeping or ship his ass out. Now they gotta wait until he can play for them to find out if he fits into their plan.

In effect they just put their rebuilding plans on hold another couple of years.

YellowFever
08-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Ginobili only needed a season to get used to the NBA, and even that was mostly because of a lingering injury from the world championships. Not that Rubio is yet anywhere near as accomplished as Manu was in Europe, but the talent's definitely there.

1). Rubio is nowhere the player Gino is.

2). SG's, Fowards and centers are much more easier to "plug in" into a system. It won't be that easy to plug in a PG. In effect, the the PG's bring in their own style of play and if he's good, they fill in the pieces around him.