PDA

View Full Version : Nagging Questions

ceperez
08-09-2009, 06:47 AM
1. Can Tim Duncan deliver during crunch time?

2. Can Tony Parker be effective against over-sized athletic guards?

3. Which big can play effectively with Manu now that Oberto is gone?

4. Can RJ effectively defend Bryant, LeBron, Anthony etc.

5. Does McDyess still have any quickness left to compensate for his lack of height?

6. Will Finley be as good in shape as he was last season?

7. Can Roger Mason show up during the playoffs?

8. Can George Hill become an effective PG?

9. Will Matt Bonner be in the regular rotation? Can he hit shots when it really counts?

10. Will Marcus Haislip learn how to play defense and can he be our defensive stopper for against Dirk, West, ...?

11. Can Mahinmi become a defensive presence?

12. Can Blair defend big men? Does he have a mid range jumper?

13. Can Marcus Williams play PG?

14. Could our starting center be Ratliff?!

15. Who is a better dunker: RJ, Haislip or Hairston?

16. What does the Spurs system look like when we have so many dunkers?

Riverwalkman
08-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Y/Y/Blair/Y/Y/N/Y/Y/Y/N/Y/Y/N/N/Haislip/the same

Muser
08-09-2009, 07:15 AM
You actually have to ask if Tim Duncan can deliver in the clutch?

BG_Spurs_Fan
08-09-2009, 07:17 AM

5. Does McDyess still have any quickness left to compensate for his lack of height?

8. Can George Hill become an effecting PG?

9. Will Matt Bonner be in the regular rotation? Can he hit shots when it really counts?

10. Will Marcus Haislip learn how to play defense and can he be our defensive stopper for against Dirk, West, ...?

11. Can Mahinmi become a defense presence?

15. How is a better dunker: RJ, Haislip or Hairston?

1.WTF?
2.WTF?
3.Any of our bigs.
4.Probably not.
5.Yes.
6.Probably yes.
7.Yes.
8.Yes.
9.Yes.Probably no.
10.Probably no.
11.Probably no.
12.Probably no.No.
13.Yes.
14.No.
15.WGAF.
16.No difference.

Solid D
08-09-2009, 08:35 AM
More Nagging Questions (for guys)

* Honey, when are you going to fix that door?

* How come you never talk about your feelings?

* Don't you ever get tired of watching TV?

* Did you take out the trash?

* When are you going to see the doctor about that?

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/dre1201l.jpg

Texas_Ranger
08-09-2009, 08:40 AM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/dre1201l.jpg

:lol

lurker23
08-09-2009, 10:18 AM

1. If you have to ask if Tim Duncan can deliver during crunch time, you haven't been paying attention.

2. Tony Parker can blow past oversized guards, and doesn't really have to guard them on the defensive end, especially if George Hill gets extended minutes.

3. Manu can play with almost anyone once they learn to be ready for anything and everything, especially from his passing. There's no questioning the chemistry that he and Fabricio have on the court, but obviously you still have Duncan (has played with him extensively), McDyess who is smart enough to learn to play with Ginobili, and Blair who has the enthusiasm and soft hands to learn.

4. If we are truly in the post-Bowen Spurs era, they will rely a lot more on multiple players and multiple schemes to guard big scorers. It would be nice if RJ could refocus himself defensively, but you should expect Pop to stress team defense more than ever this season.

7 & 9: Mason and Bonner didn't have great showings in their first playoff series as full members of the Spurs rotation, but as I've said before, nobody really played well against the Mavericks, especially among the role players; it was contagious. I think we should give both of these guys more than one series before judging them, but we should also realize that with the offseason additions, both will have less pressure on them than in 2009.

16. Spurs + dunkers will look the same, except maybe a little more exciting in transition. :smokin:

SpurCharger
08-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Duncan In The Clutch???? The Man Has 4 Rings, How Much More clutch Does He Need to be???? Have You been living In A Cave ?

SequSpur
08-09-2009, 12:04 PM
1. Can Tim Duncan deliver during crunch time? dude can't jump

2. Can Tony Parker be effective against over-sized athletic guards? TP is the best player in the NBA..

Oberto sucks.

4. Can RJ effectively defend Bryant, LeBron, Anthony etc. No, RJ hasn't won shit....

5. Does McDyess still have any quickness left to compensate for his lack of height? No, this guy will be the slowest spur since carl herrera

6. Will Finley be as good in shape as he was last season? Yes, 1st round and out.

7. Can Roger Mason show up during the playoffs? Pop doesn't know how to use a player like this.

8. Can George Hill become an effecting PG? Wha?

9. Will Matt Bonner be in the regular rotation? Can he hit shots when it really counts? Matt Bonner should be waived immediately. I hate when the coach's son is on the team.

10. Will Marcus Haislip learn how to play defense and can he be our defensive stopper for against Dirk, West, ...? who in the hell is haislip and why would he be guarding anyone?

11. Can Mahinmi become a defense presence? This dude is a waste of time.

12. Can Blair defend big men? Does he have a mid range jumper? Do you watch basketball?

13. Can Marcus Williams play PG? On Playstation 3?

14. Could our starting center be Ratliff?! Waive material...

15. How is a better dunker: RJ, Haislip or Hairston? Manu.

16. What does the Spurs system look like when we have so many dunkers

Who dunks on the Spurs?

Brazil
08-09-2009, 01:08 PM
5. Does McDyess still have any quickness left to compensate for his lack of height? No, this guy will be the slowest spur since carl herrera

6. Will Finley be as good in shape as he was last season? Yes, 1st round and out.

10. Will Marcus Haislip learn how to play defense and can he be our defensive stopper for against Dirk, West, ...? who in the hell is haislip and why would he be guarding anyone?

13. Can Marcus Williams play PG? On Playstation 3?

15. How is a better dunker: RJ, Haislip or Hairston? Manu.

16. What does the Spurs system look like when we have so many dunkers

Who dunks on the Spurs?

:lmao

callo1
08-09-2009, 02:10 PM

8. Can George Hill become an effecting PG?

11. Can Mahinmi become a defense presence?

15. How is a better dunker: RJ, Haislip or Hairston?

1. Past history says YES !!

2. With more options on the court that can score off his dishes I would say no doubt.

3. I see Ian having a great chance to flourish with Manu on the court due to his speed (unprovin as yet)

4. Probably not, but thats what team defense is for...besides, Hairston would probably get more spot duty in those situations.

5. McDyess has an exceptional off angle baseline jumper, which he releases much quicker than KT did so I wouldn't see what not.

6. Given that Fin will have even more reduced minutes I don't see what not.

7. If he isn't having to play PG he will be back in his element, so YES !!

8. Without a doubt.

9. Ouch....I have no idea...I hope he can hit shots. Maybe in his reduced role in the rotation he will be back to his more comfortable role...only time will tell.

10. Haislip has great athletic ability, and at the very least can make up space when he is beaten, so I think he can be an average to good defender under Pop's system.

11. Ian is the X-factor...I hope so.

12. Blair is fine, no worries there. I feel strongly that he will hold his own with the power post players like Bynum and Shaq. He simply is a physical beast that doesn't give an inch down low, but players that can spin, and put the ball on the floor ala Gasol and KG will give him issues.

13. I have no idea...haven't seen him run point since the SL in '07 and if I had to go on that it doesn't look good, but word is he has improved greatly.

14. No, he would be broken down 10 games into the season. He is our Mutumbo, nothing more.

15. Haislip, but does it really matter...still worth 2-pts.

16. I would suspect the same as it normally does. I doubt Pop tells Tony and George to start tossing up alley oops like Paul did with Chandler. Not that I would mind seeing Pop loosen the lid on his philosophy concerning that a little bit.

spursfan1000
08-09-2009, 05:41 PM
1. Can Tim Duncan deliver during crunch time? Yes, of course

2. Can Tony Parker be effective against over-sized athletic guards? Yes

3. Which big can play effectively with Manu now that Oberto is gone? Mahammi

4. Can RJ effectively defend Bryant, LeBron, Anthony etc.? No

5. Does McDyess still have any quickness left to compensate for his lack of height? Yes

6. Will Finley be as good in shape as he was last season? Yes

7. Can Roger Mason show up during the playoffs? No

8. Can George Hill become an effecting PG? Yes

9. Will Matt Bonner be in the regular rotation? Can he hit shots when it really counts? Maybe

10. Will Marcus Haislip learn how to play defense and can he be our defensive stopper for against Dirk, West, ...? Yes

11. Can Mahinmi become a defense presence? Yes

12. Can Blair defend big men? Does he have a mid range jumper? No,idk

13. Can Marcus Williams play PG? No

14. Could our starting center be Ratliff?! Maybe if hes in good shape

15. How is a better dunker: RJ, Haislip or Hairston? RJ

16. What does the Spurs system look like when we have so many dunkers.

Looks like the same system

portnoy1
08-10-2009, 10:03 AM
1. Can Tim Duncan deliver during crunch time?Not consistently anymore, Manu is usually the guy with the ball in the 4th anyway.

2. Can Tony Parker be effective against over-sized athletic guards?Thats where Hill comes in.

3. Which big can play effectively with Manu now that Oberto is gone?Mcdyess, He has a jumper. It will be like Manu and Kurt thomas.

4. Can RJ effectively defend Bryant, LeBron, Anthony etc. Almost as good as Elliott , not as good as Bowen. Which it needs to be.

5. Does McDyess still have any quickness left to compensate for his lack of height? He is still able to pull down 9rbds a game in 30min. I'd say yes.

6. Will Finley be as good in shape as he was last season?Probably better shape. He most likely expects to play a Steve Kerr role and be ready whenever.

7. Can Roger Mason show up during the playoffs?As long as he can just take jumpshots. After all he is a knock down shooter

8. Can George Hill become an effective PG? Good enough to hold down the fort.

9. Will Matt Bonner be in the regular rotation? Can he hit shots when it really counts?In the beggining probably. By half-way through the season he might be out or traded.

10. Will Marcus Haislip learn how to play defense and can he be our defensive stopper for against Dirk, West, ...?If not then he'll be traded or never see the light of day.

11. Can Mahinmi become a defensive presence?Hopeful but doubtful

12. Can Blair defend big men? Does he have a mid range jumper?Defend, yeah he's got potential. Jumper, I dont think so.

13. Can Marcus Williams play PG? He wont be on the roster.

14. Could our starting center be Ratliff?!Possibly, Oberto started over half the games in the 2007-08 season and avg. only 20min a game. Ratliff could do 40games at 15 min probably win Duncan is taking a rest so there will still be shot-blocking in the middle.

15. Who is a better dunker: RJ, Haislip or Hairston?RJ

16. What does the Spurs system look like when we have so many dunkers?Alot more Backcuts. ala Utah Jazz basketball, Maybe and hopefully a few more transition buckets and alleyhoops. PASS THE FREAKIN BALL TONY.

YoMamaIsCallin
08-10-2009, 03:35 PM

That is truly a stupid question. Perhaps you should check his rings and his three Finals MVPs.

Again a truly stupid question. I have to ask, have you been watching AT ALL?

I sort of get where this is coming from, but again betrays your lack of observation of actual games. Manu plays effectively with ANY big who's willing to run the floor and who stays alert for a ball with a lot of mustard on it coming right at his hands from some weird angle no one else would have seen.

You could argue no one can "effectively" defend these players. You also betray once again your lack of understanding of the Spurs system. It's all about TEAM DEFENSE and knowing what you are supposed to be taking away, not some lame "one-on-one stopper" thing.

Did he ever have any quickness? I mean since his surgeries? Did that stop him from being effective? Does he seem short to you?

Yes, I'm resorting to answering questions with questions, because I'm tired of pointing out how stupid these questions are.

Probably doesn't matter much.

Finally -- a good question!!!! Hopefully we'll see him do better. It's not an unusual pattern for a player to take a time or two in the playoffs with a contending team to become a good producer.

What makes you think he wasn't before? He had a few issues to work on (like turnovers) but I would argue he's already shown effectiveness.

Oh you mean like against Boston on the road?

One can only hope. I think he's a project, and a big question mark.

He's not already? Quite the shot blocker and one-on-one defender. What he needs to learn how to do is defend without fouling.

He already showed off the jumper in summer league, and his defensive ability in college.

I don't think this is needed, do you?

Again have you been watching? Ratliff hasn't been close to a starter, even for way worse teams than the Spurs, for several years now.

And I care about this because... ???

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are joking.

ffadicted
08-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Hilarious Question

Also hilarious

These are NBA players we're talking about, they'll learn

I think (hope) so, yes

Ask any Pistons fans and they'll tell you what they think of him

Frankly, no... i don't think so

Yes

Yes

Yes, and yes

Kinda of a wild card

No

25% chance

Yes

No

From the looks of it, Haislip

:toast