PDA

View Full Version : Are Lakers the team to beat?

Clutch City 01
08-09-2009, 03:31 PM
With Lamar Odom returning, does that make the Lakers the team to beat going into next season? How much defensively do you think the Lakers will improve with Artest and a healthy Bynum?

The only weakness this team has is at the PG position even though the Lakers have a bunch of guards, Fisher still is going to be starting and be that guy in the 4th quarter but the Lakers better decide on a replacement (Farmar/Brown) soon and establish a stable rotation.

Buy/Sell, for the Spurs and Celtics this year is their last chance to compete for a championship with the roster they have now?

Muser
08-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Yeah

tp2021
08-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Yes

DJB
08-09-2009, 03:33 PM
They're the defending champs, of course. The defending champs are always "The team to beat." Is this thread necessary?

Clutch City 01
08-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Who are your dark horse from both conference next season?

Clutch City 01
08-09-2009, 03:34 PM
They're the defending champs, of course. The defending champs are always "The team to beat." Is this thread necessary?

i just think they had an easy road to the finals with all the injures to the elite teams.

BlackBellamy
08-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Yarp. :lobt: tends to make you that.

Clutch City 01
08-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Yarp. :lobt: tends to make you that.
Yes, but only because they are defending champions. I think Boston, if they can be healthy for the playoffs, actually have the best shot.

BlackBellamy
08-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Yes, but only because they are defending champions. I think Boston, if they can be healthy for the playoffs, actually have the best shot.

In the east, yes. I (personally) think that the Spurs (given good health as well) stand just as much of a chance in the West as the Lakeshow. It's just hard to make speculation this early with such an active off-season, all we have to go off of is the season before. By that logic Lakers have to be the team to beat.

thispego
08-09-2009, 03:44 PM

better than "i just had a baby" threads

Fabbs
08-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Yeah i think if the Spurs were colluded Pao Gasol for Oberto, owned the refs in any and all close playoff games and had opponents back up to give us a clearer wide open jump shot should any playoff series changing game come down to the wire....

and had our *away* games at the At&t Center vs the San Antonio Clippers.

Oh wait, we'd still have Popped.
And had Phil Jackson as coach.

Yeah, we would be the "team to beat".

:rolleyes Trust fund baby Lamer fans....

spursfan1000
08-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Yes, they are the champions.

Tbiggums47
08-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Yes...The LA Lickers are the team to beat!

VivaPopovich
08-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Yes

Biggems
08-09-2009, 06:10 PM
The Defending Champion is always the team to beat.

SonOfAGun
08-09-2009, 06:19 PM
No. I think it'll be whichever other team is in the finals.

doobs
08-09-2009, 06:26 PM
The Defending Champion is always the team to beat.

Were the Bulls the team to beat in 98-99?

Anyway, yes, the Lakers are the team to beat. Because their team is really, really good.

wisnub
08-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Lakers is definitely team to beat.they are defending champion anyway. They keep everybody on their team except Ariza but they got better replacement with Artest. Artest can score better than Ariza and got more experienced in defending other team best scorer. The thread is unnecessary..Lakers is the team that Spurs try to beat this year, it will be great battle...

Interrohater
08-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Isn't your next opponent the "team to beat"? If you can beat your next opponent, you win.

Baseline
08-09-2009, 08:02 PM
The Lakers aren't hungry anymore. Artest just got paid, Odom just got paid, Bynum got paid last year, and Bryant will sign a ridiculous extension.

They're all fat and happy right now, so they'll spend all year praying that theSpurs' top players get hurt.

Capt Bringdown
08-09-2009, 08:20 PM
The Lakers have the best player on the planet plus an all-star frontcourt. A deadly combination, similar to the Jordan & Pippen plus a bunch of stiffs combo that made such a huge impact on NBA history.
It's going to take something extraordinary to knock them off. It wouldn't surprise me if they run off a string of titles.

They do have weak points, but so did the Bulls. It's the combination of greatest player in the NBA plus all-star caliber teammates plus adequate role players that's so hard to beat.
I think this is how the Spurs won their titles, however Duncan is not the best player in the world anymore.

2Cleva
08-09-2009, 08:40 PM
The Lakers aren't hungry anymore. Artest just got paid, Odom just got paid, Bynum got paid last year, and Bryant will sign a ridiculous extension.

They're all fat and happy right now, so they'll spend all year praying that theSpurs' top players get hurt.

:lol

That team follows the temperament of Phil and Kobe and with the faults they have - getting fat and lazy and not bringing what it takes to repeat isn't one of them.

lefty
08-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Not specifically the Lakers

We'll have to beat 4 teams in the playoffs to win it all.

Let's if those 4 teams, whoever they are, can challenge a healthy and retooled Spurs team

Gant
08-09-2009, 09:17 PM
The Lakers are beatable. A great defensive team can frustrate them and take them out. They went through the playoffs without playing a great defensive team last season. The only good one was Houston, and Houston gave them lots of trouble.

lefty
08-09-2009, 09:23 PM
The Lakers are beatable. A great defensive team can frustrate them and take them out. They went through the playoffs without playing a great defensive team last season. The only good one was Houston, and Houston gave them lots of trouble.
Excellent point

2Cleva
08-09-2009, 09:35 PM
One - Houston was a great defensive team, not just good. They were the best defensive team in the West, and come playoff time they were the best in the league. No other playoff team came close.

Two - What great defensive teams are contenders this year? SA lost their defensive identity. Cleveland couldn't bring it come playoff time and have two of the worse big defenders against mobile players. Orlando has their anchor but that's it.

Boston obviously is the team with the defense having the best chance. They played LA tough but that's when they were doubling off Odom or Walton (Ariza didn't start against Boston (18 min in the Christmas game, 11 in Feb).

Can Boston really dare to zone up Kobe and LA now?

Gant
08-09-2009, 09:46 PM
One - Houston was a great defensive team, not just good. They were the best defensive team in the West, and come playoff time they were the best in the league. No other playoff team came close.

Two - What great defensive teams are contenders this year? SA lost their defensive identity. Cleveland couldn't bring it come playoff time and have two of the worse big defenders against mobile players. Orlando has their anchor but that's it.

Boston obviously is the team with the defense having the best chance. They played LA tough but that's when they were doubling off Odom or Walton (Ariza didn't start against Boston (18 min in the Christmas game, 11 in Feb).

Can Boston really dare to zone up Kobe and LA now?

If Garnett is healthy this Celtics team will have a fulltime big man rotation of Perkins, Garnett, and Rasheed. They will have two of those guys on the floor whenever they want. With Rondo on the perimeter and Thibodeau on the sidelines this should be one of the best defensive teams in memory.

This is a better defensive team than the recent Celtics championship squad.

They are very capable of frustrating the Lakers offense and repeating what happened two years ago. They have the size to match LA in the frontcourt and a much superior defense.

Houston was merely good. Boston will be suffocating on D.

But that's all just hypothetical because the Spurs are taking LA out and it's going to be a Boston/San Antonio Finals...

...and may the best team win.

kwamay_brown54
08-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Note to the celtic troll, your teams entire defensive scheme is predicated entirely on the presence of Kevin Garnett. Let's see how relaible Garnett is gonna be on the downside of his career now, oh and the league adjusted to all your bushleague tactics from 2008, so you can't play nearly as physical on defense anymore(see Perkins), and you got whistled for the most technicals in the nba, and you got whistled for hte most 3 second violations of any team in the nba. So yeah, stop living in the past.

cornbread
08-09-2009, 11:52 PM
blah blah blah Kevin Garnett blah blah blah So yeah, stop living in the past.

They added Rasheed. That's some serious relief on defense for KG. Take your own advice and stop living in the past.

Celtics are the team to beat.

lennyalderette
08-10-2009, 12:31 AM
i have to disagree with everyone, if kg gets hurt then i think the lakers or the spurs are the team to beat, but L.a does not match up well with boston however we do!but with the team we have now, you guys know timmy isnt scared of kobe, ginobili at full strength with tp and butt loads of experience against l.a. i've never been so confident as i am now. but we are going to beat them. timmy just lost 15 i say they are all very determined this year. we have the heart and the strength this year

lennyalderette
08-10-2009, 12:32 AM
why else would the laker fans be keeping tabs on our threads?

DrHouse
08-10-2009, 12:35 AM
When you look at the relative health, age, and talent amongst the contenders it's quite clear that LAL has the best of all worlds.

All stars in their primes. Plenty of young guns ready to step it up next season. Championship mettle. Phil Jackson at the helm.

My money's on LA and would be even if I weren't a Laker fan.

sabar
08-10-2009, 12:39 AM
How about whatever team we meet in the first round? Who cares who the champs are. They could get knocked out or we could get knocked out long before we actually have a chance to play them.

lennyalderette
08-10-2009, 12:59 AM
When you look at the relative health, age, and talent amongst the contenders it's quite clear that LAL has the best of all worlds.

All stars in their primes. Plenty of young guns ready to step it up next season. Championship mettle. Phil Jackson at the helm.

My money's on LA and would be even if I weren't a Laker fan.
ok so im not a laker fan and im not picking l.a

Spursox
08-10-2009, 01:05 AM
Well, lets see...??? Umm, yeah..Defending Champs and adding Artest and losing no one...

bostonguy
08-10-2009, 01:32 AM
I dont see why not. They upgraded by adding in Artest and have everyone else returning.

Showtime24 LAKERS
08-10-2009, 02:40 AM
Of course we are the team to beat!! Even with or without Odom the Lakers are still the team to beat because we are the reigning CHAMPIONS. :lobt2: And with the re-signing of Odom the Lakers got better from Last year because they replaced Ariza (solid role player at best ) with a much better player in Artest (an All-star caliber player) for the same amount of money!!

If we can get a young decent Point Guard like a Ramon Sessions, Kurt Hinrich or a Raymond Felton via trades next season then we'd be set for a very long time.

However, the spurs and celtics both have very old players and I don't think Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, and Tim Duncan can compete at a high level the older they get. If the Celtics or Spurs are going to win there going to have to win now or neva!

Spursone
08-10-2009, 06:49 AM
Absolutely, the Champs are always the team to beat. Stay healthy San Antonio and we will topple them!

GO SPURS GO! :lobt2:

eisfeld
08-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Defending champs - Kobe on their team - no significant losses - hell yeah, they are the team to beat.

The_Game
08-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Cavs? lol

spursballer21
08-10-2009, 08:18 AM
they are our enemy lets beat them!!

Riverwalkman
08-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Are they the team to beat? Yes. They won the championship against diluted competition last year. Are they the best team? No.

1) Cavs
2) Spurs (assuming everyone is healthy)
3) Lakers/Magic

Boston is too old and has no depth. Their only hope is Orlando taking the Cavs out.
Can't agree on your ranking. My point is:
1. Lakers.They are champ, they are the team to beat.
2. Spurs. We had a best off-season, and the determination to get another one.
3. Magic. They made finals. Their defense has a lot of room to improve. They will be better.

lennyalderette
08-10-2009, 02:04 PM
here we go with the old spurs talk, well sorry to break it to you but kobe is just shy of ginobilis age, and if i have never seen kobe play so slow in my life as he did this year, yeah he is the best player in the leauge right now, but i honestly think he'll be even slower next year. as for bynum he might as well be 35 cause he plays like it. and if you still think we have oberto and and kurt thomas go ahead and check out the talent we just picked up on youtube. marcus haislip, ian mahinmi, so you can stop acting like we still have kurt, and oberto now

Strike
08-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Yes the Lakers are definitely the team to beat. But they are not unbeatable. As long as the Spurs' new additions fit in to the system and play well, and as long as the big 3 can stay healthy and fresh for the playoffs, the Spurs can knock the Lakers off their pedestal.

I wouldn't put money on the Spurs since there are a few factors that could quickly take them out of contention but I wouldn't put money on the Lakers, either. In part because of homerism and because I'm not convinced that Phil can keep Artest under control if dude blows a gasket or pulls his typical Artest shit.

As far as I'm concerned, It's the Lakers' title to lose, and it's the Spurs title to take if the team stays healthy. I'm looking forward to this season more than the last 2.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Spurs v. Celtics in the 2010 NBA Finals. Book it.

StoneBuddha
08-10-2009, 02:33 PM
The Lakers are still the team to beat because they have a ton of talent and a great coach.

However, I don't buy this belief that the team to beat is always the defending champions. Too rigid IMO. For example, in 2007, the Miami Heat were clearly not the team to beat that year. They might not have even been in the top 5.

guzmangm
08-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Agreed about just being the champion makes you the team to beat. Who won the last back to back championship? The lakers back in 2000-2002... They lost an important role player and now have to prove they can fit Artest into their system. Something tells me this Lakers team is going to have the flip the switch mentality... Plus their bench is kind of weak since they lost Ronny Turiaf.

guzmangm
08-10-2009, 03:28 PM
What I mean is Lakers bench can't get it done on the road. Spurs just need to fix their 3 quarter scoring droughts and I think I like our chances with the new additions.

Budkin
08-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Without a doubt.

mingus
08-10-2009, 05:18 PM
of course. they're one of the best teams i've ever seen on paper. if the Spurs meet them, the Spurs will be the underdogs. championship last year or not, they still have the best team on paper. the Spurs can still win though. even though they won't have the greatest chance (i give them a 15 % chance), it's the mere chance that makes us keep watching, hoping for something epic.

:flag:

xtremesteven33
08-10-2009, 05:27 PM
2 years 2 late....IMO :depressed

daslicer
08-10-2009, 05:37 PM
[QUOTE=
However, I don't buy this belief that the team to beat is always the defending champions. Too rigid IMO. For example, in 2007, the Miami Heat were clearly not the team to beat that year. They might not have even been in the top 5.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that and I will just add to it that it really depends on matchups. Some teams just matchup better with others. Like the Mavs were a matchup problem for the spurs in '06 and it seemed all of their players played out of their ass when they played the spurs. You never know what can happen whose to say that LA gets dicked over and plays the Blazers a team that seems to play with intense hatred against them much like the Mavs do against the spurs.