PDA

View Full Version : Spurs of the Moment? By STeve Kerr

Amuseddaysleeper
04-08-2005, 09:15 PM
I hope this hasnt been posted already!

Spurs of the moment

By Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports
April 8, 2005

In early February, with his San Antonio Spurs dominating the NBA, Gregg Popovich was asked what concerns he might have.

"I'm worried about our fourth-quarter execution," he answered. "We haven't had any close games recently, so I don't know how we'll respond in the clutch."

Think he'd like to have that problem now?

With Tim Duncan missing his ninth straight game following a severe ankle sprain in Detroit on March 20, the Spurs were blasted by the Dallas Mavericks 94-65 on the road Thursday, bearing no resemblance to the team that was favored to win the NBA title just a few weeks ago. In fact, at one point in the fourth quarter, Popovich employed a lineup that included Sean Marks, Nazr Mohammed, Glenn Robinson, Beno Udrih and Mike Wilks. Spurs fans might have tried to adjust their TV sets, wondering who these imposters were.

The putrid performance against the Mavericks showed how important Duncan is to this team's welfare. The Spurs are built around a defensive scheme that funnels the ball toward the baseline, where Duncan awaits. But without its shot blocker in the lineup Thursday, San Antonio gave up countless layups and dunks to a Dallas team that normally relies on jump shots. Popovich was disgusted after watching the Mavericks waltz into the lane at will without any resistance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Offensively, the Spurs had trouble finding an open shot. Without having to worry about Duncan, the Mavericks stayed at home on the Spurs' shooters, causing an 0-for-12 night from the 3-point line. And with Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker both suffering off nights, San Antonio couldn't score.

Traditionally, the Spurs slowly build a season-long momentum that picks up speed in April. They have always relied on precise execution at both ends of the floor to win, and each year their play improves during the stretch run as familiarity with each other and Popovich's system breeds confidence. They begin to wear down opponents and grind them up – the perfect formula for winning playoff games.

This season has been different. The Spurs have not only been without Duncan but also the now-injured Devin Brown, who'd been a major factor off the bench for most of the season. It's unclear if Brown's back injury will improve in time for him to return. Longtime Spurs forward Malik Rose was traded in February, so the continuity that is not quite there.

As a result, San Antonio is moving backward as it awaits the return of Duncan – which the team is hoping for within 10 days. The Spurs have lost six straight road games but have played well enough at home to maintain their lead in the Southwest Division. And while they're just three games behind Phoenix in the loss column for the league's best record, Popovich has no designs on catching the Suns. He's only worried about his club's play.

As quickly as things turned south for San Antonio, its fortunes can rapidly change for the better. Popovich would like to get Duncan back for the final three to five regular-season games in order to tune him up for the playoffs. When Duncan returns, the rotation will fall back into place and the Spurs can return to who they are – a team that defends, gets open shots and dominates in the paint. It may not be easy, but they have enough experience together to turn things around quickly.

Of course, that's a big "if." Duncan has rolled the same ankle three times this season, and there's no guarantee that he'll stay healthy through an extended playoff run.

In other words, Popovich has plenty to worry about.

bonesinaz
04-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Kerr is now part-owner of the Suns. This needs to be posted by his name on every article he writes from now on.

Also, TD's ankle sprain technically was a moderate or grade 2, not a severe grade 3.

leemajors
04-08-2005, 10:07 PM
he still wore a spurs jersey when he played kenny smith in a 3 point shoot-out a month or two ago and is not shy about still being fond of the spurs...

bonesinaz
04-08-2005, 10:42 PM
He has a financial interest in an NBA team. Not everyone who reads Yahoo Sports would know this. It is called disclosure and most good journalists would have a mini-bio somewhere mentioning it. It has nothing to do with whether he likes the Spurs or not.

Dave McNulla
04-09-2005, 12:47 AM
good job arizona, way to suss out the obviously biased steve kerr and show him for the dog he is.

do you have any specific comment about anything in particular that he wrote?

Kori Ellis
04-09-2005, 12:56 AM
I find that Steve Kerr is pretty unbiased in his writing. But it is strange that when you clikc on his name next to his articles, his bio doesn't mention that he's a minority owner of the Suns.

Tom_Foolery
04-09-2005, 01:58 AM
I've watched enough Spurs games that he has done color analysis for to know that Steve Kerr will always have a soft spot in his heart for the Spurs. Everytime he calls a game, he always brings up the Spurs and Tim Duncan, even games the Spurs aren't playing.

Everyone knows Kerr has some ownership in the Suns. This is no news...I think majority of Spurs & Suns fans know this as common knowledge.

I do, however, get the feeling he was probably very disappointed in the way they played in Dallas the other night, moreso than just another "nba analyst". I think he probably felt bad for them but also wanted to challenge the Spurs roster a bit by calling them out.

I also don't see anything biased against the Spurs. If anything, this article shows just how much Steve Kerr is still attached to the Spurs and how disgusted he was with their performance in Dallas the other night.

I'm glad he says it like it is...it shows he still cares about NBA's greatest team!

slayermin
04-09-2005, 02:16 AM
I think Steve Kerr is hilarious. He compliments Marv Albert very well.

Man In Black
04-09-2005, 04:26 AM
I do recall that he called San Antonio, "The Benchmark Organization in the NBA."

That is saying something, even if you have minority ownership in another team.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-09-2005, 05:03 AM
I do recall that he called San Antonio, "The Benchmark Organization in the NBA."

That is saying something, even if you have minority ownership in another team.

Well he did play for the blazers for awhile, so he knows how it is on both ends of the spectrum