PDA

View Full Version : Spurs sighting: Robert Horry

MaNu4Tres
08-10-2009, 01:58 AM
Saw Robert Horry at Blue Label in Houston thursday night. Asked him for his opinion about the moves the Spurs have made and he answered by saying it was about time. And the moves might be two years too late.

alamo50
08-10-2009, 02:24 AM
Bullshit.

baseline bum
08-10-2009, 03:28 AM
Saw Robert Horry at Blue Label in Houston thursday night. Asked him for his opinion about the moves the Spurs have made and he answered by saying it was about time. And the moves might be two years too late.

Agree on the first, and I'm a bit scared he could be right on the second with Tim's health being such a question mark now. Still, I'm excited as hell for the upcoming season and hope Tim can get through it and into the playoffs without the nagging problems that dogged him last season. I mean, Tony has become such a lethal force for this team that a healthy Duncan plus some quality play from the supporting cast could be enough to get #5.

Buddy Holly
08-10-2009, 03:32 AM
Dude, Robert Horry isn't a Spurs player. How is this a Spurs sighting?

baseline bum
08-10-2009, 03:33 AM
Dude, Robert Horry isn't a Spurs player. How is this a Spurs sighting?

So what should he have said? Retired old man sighting? Spurs-legend sighting?

bugoy
08-10-2009, 03:38 AM
what kind of crowd is at blue label on thursdays? i was there last friday

Buddy Holly
08-10-2009, 03:39 AM
So what should he have said? Retired old man sighting? Spurs-legend sighting?

Former Spur sighting? A simple, Robert Horry signing.

I know it's nitpicking but come on, dude hasn't been a Spurs player for over a year.

Spursone
08-10-2009, 07:10 AM
My ex step uncles illigetimate brothers new wife's cousin (twice removed) saw and image of Robert Horry on a tortilla at a Jazz festival this weekend here in San Antonio.

thispego
08-10-2009, 09:35 AM
former spur sighting? A simple, robert horry signing.

I know it's nitpicking but come on, dude hasn't been a spurs player for over a year.

if you retire a spur, i think it still applies

Bruno
08-10-2009, 09:50 AM

Translation: If Spurs lost in 08, it was because the team wasn't loaded enough. It had nothing to do with me being horrible.

I think Horry had a hard time realizing how deep his level has dropped at the end of his career. The DNP-CD for his last game and the fact that no teams wanted him during last season should have been quite hard to live for him. It's understandable that he is bitter.

45 bank shot
08-10-2009, 09:53 AM
when i read the title, i thought it was "Spurs Signing"...

will_spurs
08-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I know it's nitpicking but come on, dude hasn't been a Spurs player for over a year.

So if there's a D-Rob sighting it doesn't count as a Spurs sighting because he hasn't been a Spurs player for over 6 years? Sure makes sense :)

xtremesteven33
08-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Translation: If Spurs lost in 08, it was because the team wasn't loaded enough. It had nothing to do with me being horrible.

I think Horry had a hard time realizing how deep his level has dropped at the end of his career. The DNP-CD for his last game and the fact that no teams wanted him during last season should have been quite hard to live for him. It's understandable that he is bitter.

I dont think hes being bitter. I think hes stating the truth according to him.

It does look like these moves are a bit too late....Im sorry thats just the vibe i get....

angel_luv
08-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Speaking of rare sightings... Rasho8- check your messages. :)

Riverwalkman
08-10-2009, 11:42 AM
He was in china some days ago, in a training camp held by sponsor, giving some guidance to young basketball players. He was so fat.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-10-2009, 11:56 AM
He was in china some days ago, in a training camp held by sponsor, giving some guidance to young basketball players. He was so fat.

:lol I love Big Shot Bob, but given his legacy he's the last guy I'd want mentoring young players. "Remember kids, if you're good enough you only have to try hard for the last five minutes of every game."

The_Game
08-10-2009, 12:25 PM

:lol he is stating his opinion and to be honest most should agree that he might be right.

spursfan1000
08-10-2009, 12:29 PM
2 years late my ass :)

halester
08-10-2009, 06:51 PM
The signings are a great help for sure, but I think this year we will see that crazy Hunger that has been missing. Losing first round in the playoffs was embarrassing!!! I think this year we have something to prove and will play with a chip on our shoulder!

Buddy Holly
08-10-2009, 09:51 PM
So if there's a D-Rob sighting it doesn't count as a Spurs sighting because he hasn't been a Spurs player for over 6 years? Sure makes sense :)

Yeah, it's not a Spurs sighting. It's a Drob sighting.

peskypesky
08-10-2009, 09:55 PM
2 years late my ass :)

:toast

all_heart
08-10-2009, 10:39 PM
I just think he means the Spurs should have re-tooled 2 years ago, which is about right since our last title was in 07. The Spurs should have some fire in them this season. I'm really hoping our new bigs materialize, so Timmy can rest up for the playoffs. Same goes for our guards, if they can contribute some nice points every night, it should allow Manu the rest he needs as well.

MarHill
08-10-2009, 10:39 PM
I like Horry. I hope he is not bitter. He played 16 years in the NBA, made millions, and have 7 rings. He should be very grateful...for what he accomplished.

But I have to disagree. And he is a little premature on his analysis.

The Spurs won a championship in '07 and I believe the FO wanted to ride this group out until 2010 before making wholesome changes.

It almost worked for them in '08 by getting to the WCF.

Remember they averaged 55 wins and won a SW Division Title last season and lost the other title in a tiebreaker to the Hornets the prior season.

Last season playoffs was a big disappointment. But I believe you learn more through failure than success and the Spurs could have remained content with their past sucesses.

Also, there is timing that works in your favor as well. Jefferson comes to the Spurs by giving next to nothing. Blair falls into their lap as a second round pick. McDyess decides to come (Spurs signed him to FO friendly contract) And Manu will have a full offseason to recover.

Timing is everything and if they tried right after 07 season or the 08 season.....they might not have gotten the players they wanted at that time.

Let's see what happens before we say that the Spurs championship window is totally shut.

hater
08-11-2009, 11:57 AM
And the moves might be two years too late.

I agree about "might". It all depends how much is left in Duncan's tank this season

spursfaninla
08-11-2009, 12:19 PM
This could be taken two ways:

1) Horry is bitter (I must admit, this was how I interpreted his statement at first,

or

2) Spurs could have won the last two years (or 08 at least) if they had re-tooled.

The second statement is likely true, that the spurs needed to retool if they wanted to have a shot that year.

And Horry was a brilliant player, with a great knack for what to do and where to be, but the fact that he played better at the ends of games might speak more about the fact that he had won too much to be motivated during 90% of the regular season.

mudyez
08-11-2009, 12:29 PM
saw him too

have taken this pickture of him:

http://media.bigoo.ws/content/image/celebrities_male/celebrities_male_43.jpg

told me, that we will win it all and he ist still trying to confince Pop droping Bonner for him!

j/k

galvatron3000
08-11-2009, 01:42 PM
?Honestly, the Spurs should have put up big money sooner to get guys in when the team was still corely great in 2005-2007 seasons. I'm happy they did this summer justice but now we have a recovering Manu and bad knees Duncan. Had they done something like this earlier we could have had a 4 peat cause I dont think most teams would have tried to compete financially outside of LA

SonOfAGun
08-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Dude is a merc!

That's a merc response.

He's right too.

ShoogarBear
08-11-2009, 03:29 PM
:lol I love Big Shot Bob, but given his legacy he's the last guy I'd want mentoring young players. "Remember kids, if you're good enough you only have to try hard for the last five minutes of every game."

Anybody else, I'd jump in your ass, but I'm sure there's some incredibly clever reason you said Bob, so I will play along like I know what it is.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

milkyway21
08-17-2009, 09:34 PM

he's scheduled to visit the city of Manila, Philippines and play with our local PBA basketball players...

http://www.btv.com.ph/images/splash/nbasia.jpg

THE FIRST-EVER NBA ASIA CHALLENGE TO ROCK PHILIPPINES THIS SEPTEMBER

The Largest NBA Event Ever will Feature NBA Legends Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Dominique Wilkins, Robert Horry, Tim Hardaway and Vlade Divac Teaming Up with Six Top NBA D-League Players to Compete with the PBA All-Stars in Manila
MANILA, August 5, 2009 – The National Basketball Association (NBA), C/S 9 and Basketball TV today jointly announced the launch of the first-ever NBA Asia Challenge in the Philippines. In cooperation with the PBA, it will mark the most ambitious and largest NBA event in the Philippines with a friendship game in Manila on September 11.

The NBA Ambassadors, which will be coached by one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA history, member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, six-time NBA Champion, six-time NBA MVP and 19-time NBA All-Star, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, will feature an impressive roster of NBA Legends including Dominique Wilkins, member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, a nine-time NBA All-Star and the 1994 FIBA World Championship gold medalist; Robert Horry, seven-time NBA Champion; Tim Hardaway, a five-time NBA All-Star and the 2000 Sydney Olympic gold medalist, and Vlade Divac, the 2001 NBA All-Star and one of the most versatile centers in the league. They will team up with six top NBA Development League (NBA D-League) players for the competition.

The NBA Ambassadors will take the challenge from the PBA All-Stars at the Araneta Coliseum, capacity of 15,000, in Manila. Headlining the PBA All-Stars team are XXX, XXX, XXX, XXX and XXX.

The New Jersey Nets’ Dunking Divas and mascot Sly the Silver Fox will be on-site to provide fans an authentic NBA in-game entertainment and stage an unprecedented dunking performance. It will also mark the return of Sly to Manila after his first appearance at the NBA 2Ball events in 2000.

“We are proud to team up with the NBA to bring the first-ever NBA Asia Challenge to the Philippines,” said Peter Chan, Solar Entertainment COO. “It will be a dream come true for our fans as they can get this unique opportunity to watch their basketball heroes competing with the top local players in their door step.” (TBC)

“The Philippines has the most passionate NBA fans in the world and the NBA Asia Challenge shows our commitment for their continuous support,” said Scott Levy, Senior Vice President and Managing Director of NBA Asia. “It will be one of the most remarkable basketball events in Filipino basketball history and with such a starring roster of NBA legends and talents; it will give our fans an unforgettable NBA experience.” (TBC)

Game ticket prices are ranged from PESO XXX to XXX. Tickets are available for purchase (ways to purchase tickets) from August XX, 2009. The NBA, C/S9 and Basketball TV, in cooperation with the PBA, present the NBA Asia Challenge. The event is supported by official partner DHL; official suppliers Gatorade and Department of Tourism; on-site partner adidas; official hotel Dusit Thani and official game ball Spalding.

As part of the league’s commitment to social responsibility, NBA Cares will conduct community events in Manila designed to positively impact the city and its youth. Since it began in 2005, NBA Cares has created 418 places where kids and families can live, learn or play in 20 countries across five continents.

Before arriving in Manila, the NBA Ambassadors will play two friendship games with the KBL All-Stars in Seoul and the Incheon ET Land Black Slamer in Incheon on September 5 and 6, respectively.

For more information about the NBA Asia Challenge, please log onto www. (event website).

Basketball is the No.1 sport in the Philippines and the NBA is dedicated to grow the sport of basketball in the country. Since 2000, the NBA has hosted several grassroots events in the country including NBA 2Ball, NBA Madness, the league’s interactive basketball festival and Jr. NBA, the leading youth basketball program which teaches fundamentals, sportsmanship and promotes the importance of health and nutrition. During the 2008-09 NBA season, NBA programming was aired on Basketball TV, Closed Circuit TV, C/S 9, ESPN and STAR Sports, reaching over 10 million households in the country.

lefty
08-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Sweet Do, Vlade, Rob and TimBug will turn their asses into suchi

Spursfan092120
08-17-2009, 09:46 PM
WTF? Lakers jersey?

CubanMustGo
08-17-2009, 09:56 PM
The "PBA All-Stars" have looks of panic on their face, appropriately enough.

lefty
08-17-2009, 09:58 PM
The "PBA All-Stars" have looks of panic on their face, appropriately enough.

:lol

lefty
08-17-2009, 09:59 PM
WTF? Lakers jersey?

We're used to seeing them everyday, thanks to ESPN.

lefty
08-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Horry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Isiah Thomas !!!

woAnHUPQWMA

ploto
08-17-2009, 11:44 PM
It's understandable that he is bitter.

Bitter or not, I think he is right on the first account and could be on the second, depending on the health of Manu and Duncan.

The fact that the Spurs thought they could win again with the 2007 team was hubris.

crc21209
08-18-2009, 01:03 AM
:lol he is stating his opinion and to be honest most should agree that he might be right.

Hooooomer. :lol

lurker23
08-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Bump.

According to Marc Stein Twitter:

Big Shot Rob Horry on ESPNews today at 4:40 ET . . . two hours after Cal State Fullerton's Ashley Force visits (w/her dad) at 2:40 ET #fb

http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ

NickiRasgo
08-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Robert Horry along with the other NBA Legend will going to visit our country next month.

http://www.ticketnet.com.ph/2006/detail.php?eid=1241&res=Y

sandman
08-24-2009, 02:34 PM
he's scheduled to visit the city of Manila, Philippines and play with our local PBA basketball players...

http://www.btv.com.ph/images/splash/nbasia.jpg

Dude's jersey says "Tender Juicy"...

jb4g
08-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Damn Rob is getting around, first Pros vs. Joes, than the superstars challenge, now this little junket to the phillipines. Whats next, dancing with the stars?

Rebounds
08-24-2009, 11:06 PM
I'm gonna play for Rob's Bday this coming Wednesday.

JWest596
08-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Since the Spurs entered the NBA, No team, not the Lakers (Yes, the Great Kobe Bryant was on a lottery team, Shaq has been on a lottery team, D WADE and LBJ have been on lottery teams.) or the the Celtics, the Jazz, the Suns, the Cavs, the Knicks, etc ....No team has failed to make the playoffs fewer times than the Spurs. That includes the Drossos, McCombs, Bass, Doug Moe, Stan Albeck, Larry Brown, Lucas, Weiss, Hill years, the Tark <shudders> year, (post Iceman, pre-DROB years, our worst times) but even AROB got a quad double.

It's a tradition and all I ever wanted was a playoff team because what will be will be and opportunities can only happen in the playoffs. and the Spurs have never been a Memphis, Charlotte, New Orleans, Atlanta type perennial doormat non-playoff NBA team.

That's says so much more than anything. People forget this. Duncan made us a championship level team and got us over the hump and has kept us there. When Tim was less than 100% we made the playoffs.

So two years is "not too late" and the Surs FO has taken the unprecedented step of acquiring luxury taxes in a huge way. If Tim plays, this team goes and this new team will be no different.

Horry is entitled to his opinion but he's as wrong as he can be. This is Tim's last hurrahs as a player (He helped pay for it) and for a lot of veteran Spurs.

Nope, this is going to be a 'special season" and I feel that in my gut. Horry be damned.

Chico
08-25-2009, 12:04 AM
Surprised he wasn't spotted at Ajuua off Huebner and Vance Jackson hitting on my ex-g/f...

Chillen
08-25-2009, 12:23 AM
I don't think he was happy with the way the team lost to the Lakers in the 2008 WCF. He's not bitter, he is right, the Spurs should have retooled 2 years ago. I don't think it is to late, but I agree with Horry.

angel_luv
08-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Isn't today Rob's b-day? If so happy b-day to him. :toast