PDA

View Full Version : i'm smoked this weekend

tonylongoriafan
08-10-2009, 09:34 AM
and the hickory taste absolutely over powered my chicken breasts...but my turkey breast and beef fajitas were okay...wth?

thispego
08-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Ur lame

JudynTX
08-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Do you want a medal or something?

Dex
08-10-2009, 09:49 AM
You're one of those people that touches the plate after the waitress tells you it's hot, aren't you?

SpursStalker
08-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Do you want a medal or something?

:lmao

I thought it said he smoked weed this weekend.

SpursStalker
08-10-2009, 09:52 AM
You're one of those people that touches the plate after the waitress tells you it's hot, aren't you?

:lmao

CosmicCowboy
08-10-2009, 10:28 AM
try using pecan on chicken

leemajors
08-10-2009, 10:55 AM
I just trim up my pecan trees and use the branches for everything these days.

JoeChalupa
08-10-2009, 11:23 AM
I use mesquite.

tonylongoriafan
08-10-2009, 11:42 AM
try using pecan on chicken

i just think i left it on there too long...they weren't try though...but the turkey breast and beef fajitas in the same smoker weren't as strong, strange. i had some pecan too, damnit!

CosmicCowboy
08-10-2009, 11:50 AM
i just think i left it on there too long...they weren't try though...but the turkey breast and beef fajitas in the same smoker weren't as strong, strange. i had some pecan too, damnit!

Chicken is just that way...needs a milder smoke...also, try building a fire off to the side and adding coals instead of wood directly to the fire box.

I did a couple of 5-6# boston butts this weekend and then "pulled" them...then mixed with HEB's "central market" brand Island Habanero sauce...pineapple juice, orange juice, coconut milk, ginger, habanero...yum! It rocked!

BacktoBasics
08-10-2009, 12:10 PM
try using pecan on chickenPecan and chicken work well. I couldn't imagine using hickory and chicken. Apple wood would work too.

I pretty much limit my hickory to pork and Atomic Buffalo Turds.

tonylongoriafan
08-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Chicken is just that way...needs a milder smoke...also, try building a fire off to the side and adding coals instead of wood directly to the fire box.!

i think this was my mistake...i was cooking mobile and ran out of coals, so i just added more wood to keep my temperature up...like i said the turkey breast and beef were pretty awesome...the chicken was smoked to almost a tangey flavor

BacktoBasics
08-10-2009, 01:39 PM
i think this was my mistake...i was cooking mobile and ran out of coals, so i just added more wood to keep my temperature up...like i said the turkey breast and beef were pretty awesome...the chicken was smoked to almost a tangey flavorThe tangy or bitter flavor is from having too much wood and burning it too quick. You need to close your flue. Look for a steady light to med blue hue of smoke. Dark or yellow smoke is a sign you have it pumping too hard and it'll poison your meat.

Hickory is flat out a bad wood for chicken. If you like heavy wood flavors with chicken use mesquite. At the very least cut the hickory with some oak or something.

batman2883
08-10-2009, 02:39 PM
the turkey was delicious though