PDA

View Full Version : Longtime high school coach Littleton dies

mrsmaalox
08-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Longtime high school coach Littleton dies

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Longtime_high_school_coach_Littleton_dies.html

Longtime high school coach and administrator Jimmy Littleton died Thursday after a long illness, his family said. He would have turned 87 on Aug. 20.

Littleton had been in hospice care for a week, said his son, Jimmy Fred Littleton, the head basketball coach at Reagan High School.

Littleton, who was inducted into the San Antonio Sports Hall of Fame in 2000, was a basketball coach for 23 years, and in 1975 became the athletic director in the North East Independent School District, a position he held for 14 years.

As a head basketball coach, he guided South San Antonio High School to the state basketball championship in 1961 and Lee to the title in 1967.

The gymnasium at the NEISD’s Blossom Athletic Center is named in his honor.

Visitation is set for 6:30-8:30 p.m. Monday at Porter Loring Mortuary North, with the funeral scheduled for 11 a.m. Tuesday at St. Luke’s Episcopal.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put this thread here, I didn't know where alse it could go. My son plays basketball for the younger Littleton at Reagan High School. When he was on his middle school team, both Coach Littletons would come in to check out prospects for the future. The elder Coach Littleton quickly learned my son's name and always made it a point to greet him after the games. He also always found me in the crowd to say "We like how he plays, we want him on our team." I thought he was the sweetest old gentleman, but everyone just always called him "Coach Littleton's dad". Not being from San Antonio, I had no clue he was so relevant in the city's high school sports history ;)

RIP :toast