PDA

View Full Version : Cavs Close To Signing Powe

duncan228
08-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Cavs close to signing Powe (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-powecavs081009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Free-agent forward Leon Powe will sign a two-year contract for the league minimum with the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday if the team’s doctors are satisfied with the progress of his injured left knee, a league source said.

Powe tore his anterior cruciate ligament and cartilage in his knee during Game 2 of the Boston Celtics’ first-round series against the Chicago Bulls. He had reconstructive surgery on May 5 – his third major knee surgery – and has been rehabilitating in Los Angeles. Powe hopes to be back on the court by this season’s All-Star break, and the Cavaliers are willing to take a low-risk gamble on him pending the results of his physical.

The Cavaliers will hold the option for the contract’s second season.

Powe averaged 7.7 points and 4.9 rebounds last season for the Celtics, but became an unrestricted free agent when Boston didn’t make him a qualifying offer.

If Powe returns to health, he could help fill a void on Cleveland’s roster left by the pending departure of Joe Smith. Powe and LeBron James were once AAU teammates.

MarHill
08-10-2009, 10:25 PM
If Powe is healthy....this could be a good signing for the Cavs.

23LeBronJames23
08-11-2009, 01:37 AM
If Powe is healthy....this could be a good signing for the Cavs.

yea he could possibly win another ring

JJ Hickson
08-11-2009, 01:38 AM
We don't need no Leon Powe.

KidCongo
08-11-2009, 01:48 AM

It's your back or his knees.

JJ playing time will be available for you before the all-star break. Make the most of it or you will be replaced by a guy whos acl has torn 3 times in his career.

KidCongo
08-11-2009, 04:40 AM
Two big Ifs*

If the Cavs sign Powe and if he stays healthy opponents will be in serious foul trouble with James, Shaq and Powe. All attack opposing frontlines hard.

timvp
08-11-2009, 04:54 AM
Didn't he have ACL surgery and microfracture? Even so, the minimum is a pretty damn good deal even if he misses the whole year and the Cavs are looking at the 2010-11 season.

baseline bum
08-11-2009, 04:59 AM
Not too much risk to get a potentially good bench player. I hope the guy is able to come back and play like he did in the Finals.

Riverwalkman
08-11-2009, 05:01 AM
Spurs were interested in him, I guess it is Blair that makes them give up this target. They are the same kind of player and Blair is a better rebounder.

Chieflion
08-11-2009, 05:01 AM
Now, RealGM is reporting that it will be a 2 year deal if the knees check out well.

KidCongo
08-11-2009, 06:15 AM
Didn't he have ACL surgery and microfracture? Even so, the minimum is a pretty damn good deal even if he misses the whole year and the Cavs are looking at the 2010-11 season.

I believe so, but apparently he is ahead of schedule. The 2nd year team option is great if he ends up staying healthy. Also he is rumoured to be back after the All-Star break which gives the Cavaliers enough time to monitor JJ Hicksons progress.

Rodriguez
08-11-2009, 06:54 AM
Totally agreed, the Cavs signed a 7.7 + 5 guy with a minimum level exception, which is only supposed to be used on trashy players. But the Cavs had better pray his knee to heal as soon as possible, as next season is a "must win" for the Cavs. If not, Lebron James will inexorably walk to some other city like New York or LA (Clippers).

KidCongo
08-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Cavs Bench 08/09
Wallace, Wally, Joe Smith, Sasha, Boobie

Cavs Bench 09/10
Big Z, Parker, Moon, Boobie, Powe (post all star)

The bench was terrible against Orlando, I think the french Michael Jordan scored more points than the Cavs bench in 4 or 5 of the 6 games.

Culburn369
08-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Powe tore his anterior cruciate ligament and cartilage in his knee during Game 2 of the Boston Celtics’ first-round series against the Chicago Bulls. He had reconstructive surgery on May 5 – his third major knee surgery – and has been rehabilitating in Los Angeles. Powe hopes to be back on the court by this season’s All-Star break,

Hey, dunc, and I hopes that my birthdays start running the other way.

23LeBronJames23
08-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Hey, dunc, and I hopes that my birthdays start running the other way.

:lmao :rollin :lmao

lefty
08-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Yeah you were better off with Hickson and Ben Wallace