PDA

View Full Version : Popovich: We Needed Improvements To Beat Lakers

Riverwalkman
08-11-2009, 03:59 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/61054/20090809/popovich_we_needed_improvements_to_beat_lakers/

The Spurs have added a few impact players this offseason.

San Antonio traded for Richard Jefferson, signed Antonio McDyess as a free agent and drafted DeJuan Blair.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich told Yahoo! Sports that he believed changes were necessary if the club was going to compete with the NBA's best.

"We weren't beating the Lakers, even if we were whole," Popovich said of last year's team.

"If you really wanted to be honest with yourself, you had to think that."

Popovich acknowledged that many of the league's other top teams have improved this summer as well.

"By no means are we the best team in the league," Popovich said. "But I think we're back in the ballgame."

Mel_13
08-11-2009, 06:07 AM
This is RealGM linking to the Ludden article discussed in this thread:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132606

Riverwalkman
08-11-2009, 06:54 AM
This is RealGM linking to the Ludden article discussed in this thread:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132606
Yes I also noticed that some mins ago, but the Ludden article is actually in this thread:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132942

Rodriguez
08-11-2009, 06:58 AM
We need a goose laying gold eggs to get out of the economic crisis.

Rummpd
08-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Honestly not sure Pop is right as Bynum was still not 100% and Spurs played LAL very tough last year - it would have taken a heroic effort, playing Bowen/Hill and some others more than he did, and a lot of breaks but the Spurs last year matched up pretty well with LAL and this year may at the end of the day be even stronger.

SonOfAGun
08-11-2009, 10:43 AM
We need a goose laying gold eggs to get out of the economic crisis.

Does this goose have the appropriate government-enriched permits required to lay said golden eggs?

If not, it would be wise to take the goose along with the magic beans back to your city hall and register them with your appropriate public officials.

spursfaninla
08-11-2009, 11:29 AM
you guys talking about politics are first off not even making sense, and second are in the wrong forum.

stop cluttering up threads.

CavsSuperFan
08-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Coach Popovich is a very funny man…Already working the pre season angles…I seriously doubt that he has the same concern for Sasha, Luke & Bynum that he once had for Fox, Horry & Shaq…

hater
08-11-2009, 11:55 AM
no shit. We had Matt Bonner and Michael Finley starting

BlackBellamy
08-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Really? This is how slow it is in the off-season. One Pop quote (where he makes a pretty obvious and uncontroversial statement) gets made into separate threads four times. Seriously, there is a fifteen page example of the sad state of affairs in the NBA forum using the exact same quote. :smchode: The original article was bad-ass, though.

wildbill2u
08-11-2009, 12:21 PM
no shit. We had Matt Bonner and Michael Finley starting

Guess what? Knowing Pop they could be starting again this season.:bang

rascal
08-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Honestly not sure Pop is right as Bynum was still not 100% and Spurs played LAL very tough last year - it would have taken a heroic effort, playing Bowen/Hill and some others more than he did, and a lot of breaks but the Spurs last year matched up pretty well with LAL and this year may at the end of the day be even stronger.

No way did the spurs match up well with the Lakers and the record against the lakers since the Gasol trade proves it. Listen to Pop, he knows better than you.

Rummpd
08-11-2009, 01:48 PM
No way did the spurs match up well with the Lakers and the record against the lakers since the Gasol trade proves it. Listen to Pop, he knows better than you.

Cannot assess the Spurs without a healthy Manu EITHER of the last two years - come on that is like taking Bryant off the Lakers down the stretch.

The Spurs big three healthy plus Gooden, Hill (why the hell was he not playing!!!) Bowen would have given the Lakers a competitive series. Lakers were not Gods last year it took them 7 to get by the badly injured Rockets

wisnub
08-11-2009, 08:40 PM
you guys talking about politics are first off not even making sense, and second are in the wrong forum.

stop cluttering up threads.

I didnt know you were in LA too...i think Pop needs to go to la :lol

wisnub
08-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Cannot assess the Spurs without a healthy Manu EITHER of the last two years - come on that is like taking Bryant off the Lakers down the stretch.

The Spurs big three healthy plus Gooden, Hill (why the hell was he not playing!!!) Bowen would have given the Lakers a competitive series. Lakers were not Gods last year it took them 7 to get by the badly injured Rockets

Manu is a very good, hardworking and prolific scorer; but unfortunately he's below what Kobe can bring to the table. I saw the game against Rockets whole time and if "last year" Spurs put into Lakers position, "last year" Spurs might not able to make it. I mean c'mon honestly Dallas almost swept us for crying outloud
. I know lots of people will not agree with me coz Im talking in SPurs fan base but if you honestly assessed what happened last year, Spiurs did sucked on scoring and the defense was not special either. But I know this year its going to be different....Spurs will become championship contender for sure!!! RJ and Dice plus Blair...with additional of hungry Mason and healthy Manu will result in BIG WIN SMILE. Just make sure Duncan and TP are in good shape, i heard TP just got an ankle.

Rummpd
08-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Manu is a very good, hardworking and prolific scorer; but unfortunately he's below what Kobe can bring to the table. I saw the game against Rockets whole time and if "last year" Spurs put into Lakers position, "last year" Spurs might not able to make it. I mean c'mon honestly Dallas almost swept us for crying outloud
. I know lots of people will not agree with me coz Im talking in SPurs fan base but if you honestly assessed what happened last year, Spiurs did sucked on scoring and the defense was not special either. But I know this year its going to be different....Spurs will become championship contender for sure!!! RJ and Dice plus Blair...with additional of hungry Mason and healthy Manu will result in BIG WIN SMILE. Just make sure Duncan and TP are in good shape, i heard TP just got an ankle.

There have been several statistical PER and other statistical analyses that have shown that in the 4th quarter Manu is a good or even better closer than Kobe plus when on his game can completely disrupt an opponent. Kobe is a superior player but in stretches Manu is just as effective and also has like Kobe that incredible drive to win. Add a healthy motivated Duncan and the Spurs even as constructed last year (if Mason, Bowen and Hill could have contributed as well more) could have beaten the LAL if the breaks went there way or they got hot and this year agree the odds are even stronger although I wish the Spurs would reacquire Bowen or another perimeter defender going into the playoffs.

Pop needs to also this year find a rotation and stick with it and go with some of his talent win or lose.

21_Blessings
08-12-2009, 01:37 PM
There have been several statistical PER and other statistical analyses that have shown that in the 4th quarter Manu is a good or even better closer than Kobe plus when on his game can completely disrupt an opponent. Kobe is a superior player but in stretches Manu is just as effective and also has like Kobe that incredible drive to win. .

:lol :lol

Lmao @ Spurs fan who actually believe this.

Manu has never ever been as effective as Kobe Bryant. Nor will he ever. lol PER

mytespurs
08-12-2009, 04:50 PM

How about ......Manu is effective in the role he plays on the Spurs......of course he's not Kobe...he doesn't need to be.

SonOfAGun
08-12-2009, 05:10 PM

Dude, it's true.

You need to watch old games and see Manu at his PEAK. He could get to Kobe's level in small bursts. I know how that sounds, but it is no joke.