PDA

View Full Version : Better player: Joe Johnson or Manu Ginobili

Pages : [1] 2

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 10:04 AM
This stems from the Manu vs. Dirk thread in the Spurs section. Poll coming. Discuss.

JMarkJohns
08-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Better talent: Joe Johnson
Player who's gotten more out of his talent: Manu Ginobili

If you're strictly discussing each player's peak, right now I'd take Manu. Johnson is an amazing player and without a doubt more talented, but he coasts. Manu never coasts (at least not when I see him). I don't think JJ will ever maximize his talent the way Manu has.

Now, if your toss up is "right now, who's better?", then I'll take JJ, but that's not really fair to Manu since he's so much older.

Phillip
08-11-2009, 10:10 AM
joe johnson, without question

Rodriguez
08-11-2009, 10:13 AM
joe johnson, without question
thre anillos, puta.

Culburn369
08-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Manu.

Joe Johnson has a lot of Casper in him and he's a fraidy cat ta boot. A straw dog as well.

Ginobili will hunt an opponent and take joy in the kill/an absolute rarity for a foreign born player.

Johnson wants no part of the hunt, nor the kill.

Rogue
08-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Manu.

Joe Johnson has a lot of Casper in him and he's a fraidy cat ta boot. A straw dog as well.

Ginobili will hunt an opponent and take joy in the kill/an absolute rarity for a foreign born player.

I drafted Joe Johnson last night, with my second rounder which could have been used on Manu. :(

JMarkJohns
08-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Is this a fantasy basketball question?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 10:28 AM

Wtf do you mean? He left Phoenix because he wanted to be the man in Atlanta and take all the big shots. Both JJ and Manu are two clutch players that both love taking the big shot, you can't argue the clutch factor against either one.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Is this a fantasy basketball question?

In order to appreciate Rogue you have to understand his sense of humor, something that took me a long time to do.

Culburn369
08-11-2009, 10:29 AM
i drafted joe johnson last night, with my second rounder which could have been used on manu. :(

lol!

MB20
08-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Joe Johnson > Dirk

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 10:31 AM
I guess JJ should get criticized for not always giving a full effort, I'll admit that's the case. He was medically cleared to play game 1 and 2 of the WCF in 2005, but he didn't play because he was worried two bad games he might have would affect the contract he got the next season.

Culburn369
08-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Wtf do you mean? He left Phoenix because he wanted to be the man in Atlanta and take all the big shots. Both JJ and Manu are two clutch players that both love taking the big shot, you can't argue the clutch factor against either one.

Johnson talked the talk, but, he's never walked it.

Johnson never looks eye.

Manu same thing, but, Manu never looks because he just busted somebody's ass and he won't even give them the courtesy (the out) to "see" them. It's a mental ploy, and its wonderful to behold. Duncan looks, Parker looks, Kobe looks, but, Manu don't look...."fuck you." he's saying to himself.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 10:34 AM
And btw I'm not saying JJ is way better than Manu, I expect this to be a close poll. Part of the reason I made it.

MB20
08-11-2009, 10:36 AM
For the regular season - JJ
For the playoffs, give me Manu

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Johnson talked the talk, but, he's never walked it.

I think JJ has more than walked the walk. When he left Phoenix everyone (including myself) was laughing thinking the Hawks would suck his entire career and he'd never be able to lead a team. I'd say he's getting the last laugh winning more playoff games than Phoenix each of the last two seasons.

IronMexican
08-11-2009, 10:44 AM
JJ is all talk. As much as I'd like to vote JJ to piss of Spurfans, Manu is better.

picc84
08-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Manu, imo.

But close.

Phillip
08-11-2009, 10:50 AM

Has JJ been a postseason choker?

No, from what I recall, he pretty much singlehandedly led the Hawks to a 7 game series against the Celtics a couple years ago, when EVERYONE thought it would be an easy sweep. JJ his a lot of BIG shots in that series too.

JJ is an underrated and clutch player. And is much better of a basketball player than Ginobili. Replace JJ with Ginobili on that Hawks team, and they don't even sniff the playoffs.

MB20
08-11-2009, 10:57 AM

No, from what I recall, he pretty much singlehandedly led the Hawks to a 7 game series against the Celtics a couple years ago, when EVERYONE thought it would be an easy sweep. JJ his a lot of BIG shots in that series too.

JJ is an underrated and clutch player. And is much better of a basketball player than Ginobili. Replace JJ with Ginobili on that Hawks team, and they don't even sniff the playoffs.

I never said JJ was a postseason choker.
Both are very good players.
I just pick Manu. I think he is capable of taking over in a game 7 of the Finals.
JJ? Probably could, but I´m not so sure.

sonic21
08-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Manu is better

Phillip
08-11-2009, 10:59 AM
I never said JJ was a postseason choker.
Both are very good players.
I just pick Manu. I think he is capable of taking over in a game 7 of the Finals.
JJ? Probably could, but I´m not so sure.

My point is, JJ hasn't done anything to prove he isnt capable of performing in the playoffs.

And it's easy to say Manu can do that when he was playing under Timmy doing that. JJ is out there busting everyones ass as the #1 guy, unlike Manu.

JJ > Manu.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 11:07 AM

Glad someone else doesn't get this. JJ and Manu both have very comparable post season numbers, the difference is one of them played in his first post season at the age of 25 and has always had a HOF big man who opens up the perimeter for his teammates.

Meanwhile, JJ's first post season was at age 21 with one of the NBA's biggest ball hogs notorious for making his teammates worse playing point. It'd be interesting to see JJ's numbers if he got to play off Tim Duncan.

redzero
08-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Joe Johnson's more talented, and Manu is more accomplished.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Manu is more accomplished.

Why? Cause he's done more as the 2nd or 3rd wheel than Joe Johnson has done as the best player?

redzero
08-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Why? Cause he's done more as the 2nd or 3rd wheel than Joe Johnson has done as the best player?

Pretty much. Put Johnson in Manu's position, and the results would probably be the same.

Muser
08-11-2009, 11:24 AM
I voted JJ purely because he is the better player right now, if you're talking prime i'd take Manu any day but as of right now its' JJ.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I don't get why people say that JJ is more talented than Gino, I've watched a lot of Joe's games and I have never seen him doing anything remotely eye-poping so I went to see some of his youtube highlights and I remain with the same thought: nothing special.

Compare:

FNX4_ATBsW0 g-Zt4Q90spU

IMO Manu is not only the better player but the more talented and more fun to watch also.

lefty
08-11-2009, 11:50 AM
LOL at this thread

How many times has Manu torched JJ ?

A LOT

Phillip
08-11-2009, 12:01 PM
of course spurfans would choose manu. just making the choices they are supposed to choose. no surprises here :rolleyes

DAF86
08-11-2009, 12:05 PM
of course spurfans would choose manu. just making the choices they are supposed to choose. no surprises here :rolleyes

why don't you give your reasons of why you think Joe Johnson is better than Manu instead of playing the "homer" card?

23LeBronJames23
08-11-2009, 12:06 PM
J.J.

Is 3-8 record in postseason a choker? is it?

DAF86
08-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Manu's PER numbers each season-

2002-03 - 14.48
2003-04 - 18.54
2004-05 - 22.35
2005-06 - 22.43
2006-07 - 24.18
2007-08 - 24.07
2008-09 - 22.93

Joe's PER numbers each season-

2002-03 - 12.10
2003-04 - 13.88
2004-05 - 15.19
2005-06 - 17.95
2006-07 - 19.56
2007-08 - 17.67
2008-09 - 18.26

Manu has always been the better player.

lefty
08-11-2009, 12:22 PM

Ginobli drops 40 as Spurs hold off Hawks

Associated Press

ATLANTA (AP) - Manu Ginobili is thriving as the San Antonio Spurs' sixth man.
Ginobili scored a season-high 40 points, including 24 straight in the first half, and Tim Duncan had 30 points to help the Spurs beat the Atlanta Hawks 103-96 on Wednesday night.
''I've had some good stretches in my career,'' Ginobili said. ''Today was kind of impressive.
''In those three or four minutes, or however many they were, maybe, yeah, it was some of the best.''
The Spurs, who pulled to within eight games of Dallas in the Southwest Division, have won four straight after losing four of five.
Entering the game late in the first quarter, Ginobili missed two of his first four shots before hitting six in a row from the field and all seven attempts on free throws. The Spurs led 39-23 at the end of his flurry, and Ginobili had 27 points on 9-of-13 shooting before halftime.
''He was pretty special tonight,'' Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. ''He's just a heck of a hard cover for any defence because he does everything a little bit different than most players.
''I don't even know what he's going to do half of the time. Tonight he was really on, and he got us over the hump.''
Joe Johnson scored 30 points for the Hawks, who have lost two straight.
Zaza Pachulia scored 15 of his 23 points in the third quarter. He went 6-for-7 from the field, twice helping Atlanta tie the game in the final minute of the period.
''Ginobili was huge for their team, and I don't care how you cut it, when you have a low post player like Duncan, it just makes it tough on any team,'' Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. ''We tried to double-team him at times, but sometimes we didn't get the double there quick enough and he was still making plays.''
San Antonio never trailed after Tony Parker's layup made it 4-3. Parker missed eight straight shots before his 20-footer gave the Spurs a 91-82 lead with 3:51 remaining.
A flagrant foul by Johnson led to a five-point possession for the Spurs, as Brent Barry hit three foul shots and Duncan had two. Woodson was hit with a technical foul during the possession, which came with 8:07 left and made it 92-73.
Atlanta missed 14-of-35 free throws and went just 1-for-6 beyond the arc.
''I guess you could say it cost us the game,'' Hawks guard Speedy Claxton said. ''Next game, we have to try to stay focused at the line.''
Ginobili never scored more than 29 points last season before finishing with 32 points in a victory over Sacramento in the first round of the playoffs.
In the last nine games as San Antonio's sixth man, Ginobili averaged 17.4 points in 25 minutes to become the NBA's second-most productive reserve. Only Chicago's Ben Gordon, with 22.5 points in 31.1 minutes, had a better average.
''After I hit those first four field goals, of course I started feeling well, and Pop starting calling every single play for me,'' Ginobili said. ''All of them worked. I was feeling good.
''Even the mid-range jumpers were falling in.''
Woodson used Johnson and Josh Childress to defend Ginobili in the second half.
''They starter playing better D,'' Ginobili said. ''They are so long and athletic, they are always in the passing lanes. They are a tough team when the get in a rhythm, so they started running, making some shots. We had a really ugly stretch there.''
Atlanta, which won three of four before the all-star break, closed within five on Childress' follow dunk with 2:47 remaining. Josh Smith had 11 rebounds for the Hawks.
Notes: The Spurs improved to 22-4 this season when scoring 100 points . . . At 20-10, San Antonio is attempting to become the third team in history to have 10 consecutive winning seasons on the road. The Lakers did it from 1979-90 and the Celtics from 1959-68 . . . Atlanta's Tyronn Lue missed his sixth straight game with a sore hamstring.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 12:23 PM
J.J.

Is 3-8 record in postseason a choker? is it?

You act like basketball is an individual sport. I always thought winning and losing was a team thing. Silly me.

Leetonidas
08-11-2009, 12:24 PM
This question took some thinking, as I was going over everyone's responses while I was mulling over my choice. At first I wanted to pick Johnson but after thinking about it I'm gonna have to go with Ginobili.

Everyone is talking about how JJ has more talent but really, what has he done that's so amazing? I don't see him dismantling teams in the playoffs like Ginobili used to do. And look at their PER numbers, Ginobili is way ahead of Johnson in that department.

I think everyone here is forgetting how sick Ginobili really is. He's not just some unskilled dude hitting threes off of Duncan being triple teamed. That's Finley. Ginobili is a beast and can do everything Johnson can and probably do it better and with more intensity. Plus Ginobili does so many other things besides score. What else does Johnson do?

Ginobili can rebound like a madman, can dish off some beautiful assists, make timely blocks, multiple steals, etc.

Ginobili > Johnson

lefty
08-11-2009, 12:26 PM
24 straight points on JJ

Eart shit, Manu haters

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Yeah, but "individually" Manu makes a team a shitload better compared to Joe Johnson.

If you replace Joe Johnson with Manu, do the Hawks make the playoffs and advance one round last year?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't see him dismantling teams in the playoffs like Ginobili used to do.

I'm sure having Tim Duncan on his team had nothing to do with why he was able to dismantle so many teams.

Culburn369
08-11-2009, 12:34 PM
DUNCAN, next time you concoct a Poll, make sure to delineate whether the subjects are at prime, or, at present day.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 12:34 PM
playoff stats:

JJ: 15.8 points, 4.3 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 42.3% shooting
Manu: 16.0 points, 4.8 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 44.3% shooting

I don't understand how Manu is so much better in the playoffs, especially since JJ's playoff stats would be better if not for the 6 playoff games he played as a 21 YO with Stephon Marbury hogging the ball.

lefty
08-11-2009, 12:35 PM
playoff stats:

I don't understand how Manu is so much better in the playoffs, especially since JJ's playoff stats would be better if not for the 6 playoff games he played as a 21 YO with Stephon Marbury hogging the ball.
Manu is better in the playoffs because he makes big plays

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 12:36 PM
DUNCAN, next time you concoct a Poll, make sure to delineate whether the subjects are at prime, or, at present day.

I meant overall, meaning everything is factored in. Who was better in their prime should be a factor, as well as how long each prime lasted. If Manu's best season was better than JJ's best season, that doesn't mean Manu > JJ.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm sure having Tim Duncan on his team had nothing to do with why he was able to dismantle so many teams.

that's a stupid fucking argument. He has done it with Duncan, without Duncan. On the NBA with TD, on the NBA without TD, on FIBA, etc. If you're good, you're good. Having a great teammates helps but it doesn't make you do things you can't.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Manu is better in the playoffs because he makes big plays

Surely Tim Duncan drawing the defensive attention he draws has nothing to do with this.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 12:39 PM
He has done it with Duncan, without Duncan.

This is an argument about who is the better NBA player. I don't care about Manu's minor league achievements without Duncan.

23LeBronJames23
08-11-2009, 12:40 PM
playoff stats:

^^that shows^^ manu>jj

DUNCANownsKOBE2
Having a great teammates helps but it doesn't make you do things you can't.

It doesn't? So you're saying Pau Gasol would have been able to win a championship without Kobe?

lefty
Surely Tim Duncan drawing the defensive attention he draws has nothing to do with this.
Manu has also made big plays on the defensive ends

weebo
08-11-2009, 12:42 PM
If you replace Joe Johnson with Manu, do the Hawks make the playoffs and advance one round last year?

Manu was injured last season.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 12:43 PM
playoff stats:

I bet all those numbers are with Manu playing a lot less minutes. Besides if you're going to play the "21 YO Stephon Marbury" card then you also need to say that Manu besides playing less minutes per game and never having the chance to be the man (that means more shots and therefore better offensive stats) he played his first playoffs as a rookie where he averaged I think 7 pts per game (thing that hurt his PO stats) and he was injured the last playoffs he played.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Manu has also made big plays on the defensive ends

And playing on a great defensive team has nothing to do with this? He'd be able to make the same defensive plays without Bowen and Duncan?

sonic21
08-11-2009, 12:44 PM
playoff stats:

he was so great in the 2005 playoffs, some spurs fans have a selective memory. For them, Manu in the PO= 2005 Manu.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 12:45 PM
This is an argument about who is the better NBA player. I don't care about Manu's minor league achievements without Duncan.

Why don't you read the whole quote?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 12:47 PM
I bet all those numbers are with Manu playing a lot less minutes.

They're also with Manu being able to play off the best PF of all time. Something you think doesn't matter because he didn't need Duncan to beat minor leaguers.

Culburn369
08-11-2009, 12:48 PM
DUNCAN, you're so consumed by statistics. They mean squat.

Manu is a winner.

Johnson is a loser.

It's not personal. It is what it is.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
Why don't you read the whole quote?

Fine, I just did.
What has he accomplished in the NBA w/o Duncan?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
Manu is a winner.

Johnson is a loser.

I'm sure one having Tim Duncan on his team has nothing to do with this.

benefactor
08-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Looks like I might have started WWIII...lol.

It's certainly close. I would rather have JJ for a whole season but I would rather have Manu for the playoffs. If I am just picking the straight up better player, I will take Manu.

weebo
08-11-2009, 12:50 PM
he was so great in the 2005 playoffs, some spurs fans have a selective memory. For them, Manu in the PO= 2005 Manu.

Wow, and the reason we didn't get past the first round last year wasn't because Manu was out. But yes you're right Manu only had one good PO in '05. Pop would agree with you on Manu's value to the team come PO time.

Culburn369
08-11-2009, 12:52 PM

I'm not viewing Manu next to Duncan.

My opinion is based on viewing Manu & Johnson each isolated.

Manu is special. Johnson is garden variety.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Wow, and the reason we didn't get past the first round last year wasn't because Manu was out. But yes you're right Manu only had one good PO in '05. Pop would agree with you on Manu's value to the team come PO time.

I'm pretty sure sonic21 said Manu was better, idk why you're arguing with him.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm not viewing Manu next to Duncan.

Calling Manu a winner is viewing him next to Duncan. Without Duncan, or "isolated" as you put it, Manu is just as unaccomplished as Joe Johnson.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 12:53 PM
It doesn't? So you're saying Pau Gasol would have been able to win a championship without Kobe?

We were talking about in-game plays.

sonic21
08-11-2009, 12:54 PM

of course we can't win anything without Manu, that was not my point.
And where did i say he was only good in 2005?

BR'sBoyToy
08-11-2009, 12:55 PM
any of y'all seen my man??

dirk4mvp
08-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Argentina should be nuked.

What's funny is, some spur fans thought Manu was a top 10 player cuz of 1 playoff run where he got hot, and even then his numbers weren't all that great.

lefty
08-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Damn, Mav fans are really dumb

DAF86
08-11-2009, 12:57 PM
They're also with Manu being able to play off the best PF of all time. Something you think doesn't matter because he didn't need Duncan to beat minor leaguers.

Put Johnson in the Spurs with Tim Duncan and put Manu on the Suns with Steve Nash and D'antoni as his coach and I bet Manu's numbers would improve and Joe's would dicreasse not to mention that Phoenix may have also beaten San Antonio.

Shastafarian
08-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Calling Manu a winner is viewing him next to Duncan. Without Duncan, or "isolated" as you put it, Manu is just as unaccomplished as Joe Johnson.

I didn't realize Duncan was playing on the Argentine National team when they won the Gold Medal in the 2004 Olympics. Ginobili was the best player on a team that won a freakin gold medal.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 12:59 PM

To be fair he never had the chance to win in the NBA without Duncan, so you can't blame him for that.

Culburn369
08-11-2009, 01:01 PM

But, you can't [see] that, DUNCAN. If you're going to do "fantasy" put it into the poll first.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
Put Johnson in the Spurs with Tim Duncan and put Manu on the Suns with Steve Nash and D'antoni as his coach and I bet Manu's numbers would improve and Joe's would dicreasse not to mention that Phoenix may have also beaten San Antonio.

So you're claim is that if Manu went from being the 2.5 option (in 2005 Parker and Ginobili shared the sidekick role) to being the 4th option and Joe Johnson went from being the 4th option to being the 2.5 option, JJ's numbers would go down and Manu's numbers would go up?

DAF86
Fine, I just did.
What has he accomplished in the NBA w/o Duncan?

We were talking about in-game plays.

Manu's best games usually come when either Duncan or Tony are out with injuries.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:02 PM
To be fair he never had the chance to win in the NBA without Duncan, so you can't blame him for that.

And Joe Johnson never got the chance to win in the NBA with Duncan, you can't blame him for that.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Manu's best games usually come when either Duncan or Tony are out with injuries.

How do the Spurs do in those games when Duncan is injured and he's healthy?

DAF86
08-11-2009, 01:05 PM

Why did you even started this thread if every good pro-Manu reason you're going to refute it with "he plays next to Tim Duncan"?

People I want you to know that Ben Gordon is better than Manu 'cause he's never played next to Tim Duncan.

BR'sBoyToy
08-11-2009, 01:06 PM

This man sounds delicious!! Maybe my man won't mind sharing!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Why did you even started this thread if every good pro-Manu reason you're going to refute it with "he plays next to Tim Duncan"?

Because the "Manu is a bigger winner than Joe Johnson" wouldn't be made if not for Duncan.

Shastafarian
08-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Because the "Manu is a bigger winner than Joe Johnson" wouldn't be made if not for Duncan.

How many Gold Medals does Joe Johnson have?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:08 PM
People I want you to know that Ben Gordon is better than Manu 'cause he's never played next to Tim Duncan.

Now you're putting words in my mouth. I never said JJ's better because he doesn't play next to Duncan, I said the championships Manu won with Duncan as the first option are irrelevant to this argument.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:09 PM

:lmao

sonic21
08-11-2009, 01:09 PM

How many does Duncan have?

Shastafarian
08-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Because the "Manu is a bigger winner than Joe Johnson" wouldn't be made if not for Duncan.Yes...

:lmaoI fail to see what's funny

How many does Duncan have?Irrelevant because of the above quote

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:12 PM

Phoenix may have also beat SA if JJ was healthy for that entire series........but chances are neither one is true since offense wasn't the Suns problem in that series, Manu instead of JJ doesn't change the fact Horry and Brent Barry are left open during key possessions and especially don't change the fact Duncan still has a huge series.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 01:13 PM

They win more than they lose, in fact I think there's a stat out there that shows that the Spurs have a worst winning % when Manu is out than when either Tim or Tony are injured.

Culburn369
08-11-2009, 01:13 PM
And DUNCAN, it's not kosher for you to kibitz in your own Poll.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:14 PM
I fail to see what's funny

What's funny is using non-NBA basketball during an NBA argument.

Is Manu a better Euroleague player than JJ? Yes, I admit it. are all the Manu fans happy? Can we now stick to the NBA since we're in the NBA forum?

DAF86
08-11-2009, 01:16 PM
So you're claim is that if Manu went from being the 2.5 option (in 2005 Parker and Ginobili shared the sidekick role) to being the 4th option and Joe Johnson went from being the 4th option to being the 2.5 option, JJ's numbers would go down and Manu's numbers would go up?

Manu wouldn't have been the fourth option on that Suns team. Go ask D'antoni who he thinks is better: Johnson or Manu?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
They win more than they lose, in fact I think there's a stat out there that shows that the Spurs have a worst winning % when Manu is out than when either Tim or Tony are injured.

First off, Tony is irrelevant. I agree Manu > Parker.

And there's no point in arguing with anyone that seriously thinks Manu could win an NBA championship as a main player.

Shastafarian
What's funny is using non-NBA basketball during an NBA argument.

Is Manu a better Euroleague player than JJ? Yes, I admit it. are all the Manu fans happy? Can we now stick to the NBA since we're in the NBA forum?

Oh my bad. See I read the title of the thread "Better Player" and thought you meant who had more talent and was a better basketball player. My mistake. Continue.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Manu wouldn't have been the fourth option on that Suns team. Go ask D'antoni who he thinks is better: Johnson or Manu?

Yes, he would have still been the fourth option behind Nash, Amare and Marion in D'antoni's offense. D'antoni would have taken the ball out of his hands and killed his game. He would have done the same to JJ if JJ stayed with the team.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Oh my bad. See I read the title of the thread "Better Player" and thought you meant who had more talent and was a better basketball player. My mistake. Continue.

Since we're in the "NBA forum", I figured that NBA was implied when i said better player. If I posted this in a Euroleague forum then it'd be a different story.

Phillip
spurfans are such homers

and homos

Shastafarian
Since we're in the "NBA forum", I figured that NBA was implied when i said better player. If I posted this in a Euroleague forum then it'd be a different story.

:lol

Shastafarian
08-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Sorry for laughing, but believing a player's international credentials don't matter because some of the rules of international play are different is pretty silly. Especially when the player doesn't play the position that is most affected by those different rules.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 01:23 PM
First off, Tony is irrelevant. I agree Manu > Parker.

And there's no point in arguing with anyone that seriously thinks Manu could win an NBA championship as a main player.

Who said that?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Sorry for laughing, but believing a player's international credentials don't matter because some of the rules of international play are different is pretty silly. Especially when the player doesn't play the position that is most affected by those different rules.

I believe they don't matter cause international competition isn't half as good as NBA competition.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Who said that?

It seemed like you were hinting at it and have hinted at it several times.

Shastafarian
08-11-2009, 01:25 PM
I believe they don't matter cause international competition isn't half as good as NBA competition.

Is that why Joe Johnson has only been on one US team and that team got a bronze?

sonic21
08-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Who said that?

well you kinda said that when you said Manu > Dirk.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Yes, he would have still been the fourth option behind Nash, Amare and Marion in D'antoni's offense. D'antoni would have taken the ball out of his hands and killed his game. He would have done the same to JJ if JJ stayed with the team.

D'antoni thinks that Manu is a freaking superstar ('cause unlike you, he has also saw him play outside the NBA and knows that even if it's true that there's a big difference betwen NBA and FIBA the difference isn't as big as most people think) I really doubt he would have slowed Manu's role too much. One thing is for sure, Ginobili would have played a lot more minutes with D'antoni than what he ended up playing with Pop.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Is that why Joe Johnson has only been on one US team and that team got a bronze?

Are you seriously blaming Joe Johnson for that cluster fuck of a team?

Leetonidas
08-11-2009, 01:30 PM
DoK's entire argument is based on a hypothetical situation.

Lame. :td

jazzypimp
08-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Pretty much. Put Johnson in Manu's position, and the results would probably be the same.

Joe is not nearly as good of a flopper as flopnobli tho!

da_suns_fan
08-11-2009, 01:31 PM
In 2005, Manu Ginobili.

In 2009, Joe Johnson by a long shot.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 01:32 PM

But dude, he played with Duncan on that team. How could he not win?

Shastafarian
08-11-2009, 01:33 PM

No but I fail to see how the competition could be so utterly shitty that it would nullify counting accomplishments and yet a team Joe Johnson was on could only get a bronze medal. And that wasn't even the Olympics.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:35 PM
('cause unlike you, he has also saw him play outside the NBA and knows that even if it's true that there's a big difference betwen NBA and FIBA the difference isn't as big as most people think)

I'm sure that's why he chooses to coach in the NBA.

But yeah, D'antoni sure as hell knows a good European player when he sees one. Danilo Gallinari was the best draft pick ever.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:35 PM

Show me where I said that all teams with Tim Duncan win.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:38 PM
No but I fail to see how the competition could be so utterly shitty that it would nullify counting accomplishments and yet a team Joe Johnson was on could only get a bronze medal. And that wasn't even the Olympics.

Biased referees that hate America could have something to do with it.

Texas_Ranger
08-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Manu. He won it all in the NBA, Europe and in the Olympics. In Europe and in the Olympics he had no Duncan and he was the best player on the team. What did Joe Johnson won...Nothing. Sure, Manu played with TD, but didn't JJ play with the best player in the NBA then - Steve Nash. Hmmm.. How didn't he won the championship?

sonic21
08-11-2009, 01:39 PM

he played in 2006, not in 2004.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Sure, Manu played with TD, but didn't JJ play with the best player in the NBA then - Steve Nash. Hmmm..

He had one season with Nash, and was injured for the Spurs series.

But that doesn't even matter, :lmao saying Nash > Duncan

DAF86
08-11-2009, 01:41 PM

The only NBA US team I remember that won bronze was the 2004 olympic one, the Indianapolis one I think didn't get even that.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
DoK's entire argument is based on a hypothetical situation.

That's better than an argument based off non-NBA competition.

DAF86
he played in 2006, not in 2004.

You're right I was forgetting that one.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 01:43 PM

The PER numbers I showed are from the NBA.

Texas_Ranger
He had one season with Nash, and was injured for the Spurs series.

But that doesn't even matter, :lmao saying Nash > Duncan

Who cares if he was injured...Manu was also injured this year.

Hey, Steve Nah was the best player in the whole NBA. The guy won the MVP award. So yes, that year he was better than TD.
So would JJ be a champ if he wasn't injured. Or would Manu kick their ass as he did without JJ?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
I'm still waiting to know where I said all teams with Tim Duncan win it all.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Hey, Steve Nah was the best player in the whole NBA. The guy won the MVP award. So yes, that year he was better than TD.

So in 2001 Allen Iverson was better than Shaq?

da_suns_fan
08-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Manu. He won it all in the NBA, Europe and in the Olympics. In Europe and in the Olympics he had no Duncan and he was the best player on the team. What did Joe Johnson won...Nothing. Sure, Manu played with TD, but didn't JJ play with the best player in the NBA then - Steve Nash. Hmmm.. How didn't he won the championship?

1) The poll isnt discussing who has the most accomplishments. Its asking who the better player is and I assume it means "Who is the best RIGHT NOW". Ginobili isnt the player he once was and JJ is entering his prime. There's no GM in the NBA who wouldnt rather have JJ over Ginobili

2) Joe Johnsn and Ginobili have both played second fiddle while only Johnson has played as "The man". So comparing NBA team achievements is comparing apples to oranges.

3) Learn the difference between "win" and "won". I normally dont care about grammar but twice in one paragraph is bizzare. Are you foreign?

Findog
08-11-2009, 01:46 PM
2) Joe Johnsn and Ginobili have played second fiddle while only Johnson has played as "The man". So comparing NBA team achievements is comparing apples to oranges.

Spurs fans have a VERY HARD time grasping this concept:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132821

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:47 PM
DSF, the poll is meant to factor in everything. It's pretty impossible to say Manu is better than JJ right now.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 01:48 PM
In 2005, Manu Ginobili.

In 2009, Joe Johnson by a long shot.

You can't compare, Manu was injured more than half of the season, he still was more effective than Johnson though.

Manu's PER numbers each season-
2002-03 - 14.48
2003-04 - 18.54
2004-05 - 22.35
2005-06 - 22.43
2006-07 - 24.18
2007-08 - 24.07
2008-09 - 22.93

Joe's PER numbers each season-

2002-03 - 12.10
2003-04 - 13.88
2004-05 - 15.19
2005-06 - 17.95
2006-07 - 19.56
2007-08 - 17.67
2008-09 - 18.26

Manu has always been the better player.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Spurs fans have a VERY HARD time grasping this concept:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132821

No, it works both ways. When arguing about Manu Ginobili, Spurfan says he won 3 championships cause he's a winner.

When arguing about Kobe Bryant, Spurfan says three championships don't count because he rode Shaq's coattails and wasn't the best player on his team.

Leetonidas
08-11-2009, 01:49 PM

You're just telling yourself that bro. Trust me, a Gold Medal is way more valuable than you're trying to make it seem. Especially since they shit on the USA.

Findog
08-11-2009, 01:50 PM
You can't compare, Manu was injured more than half of the season, he still was more effective than Johnson though.

A player's fragility is part of the whole package.

Texas_Ranger
08-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Before and Now I'd rather have Manu on my team.
Manu needs 30 minutes and he can score 20 points. JJ needs 40 minutes to score 20 points. And JJ also needs to shoot the ball at least 5 times more than Manu.
So I go with Manu, and don't ask me why anymore.

The Franchise
08-11-2009, 01:51 PM
I chose Manu because of his past accomplishments, but if we were talking about having one or the other now I would take Joe.

lefty
Do you remember that night when Manu dropped 48 on JJ ?

Or that other night were Manu had 24 straight points (40 in total) on JJ ? :lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE2
You're just telling yourself that bro. Trust me, a Gold Medal is way more valuable than you're trying to make it seem. Especially since they shit on the USA.

Again, I assumed that since we're in an "NBA" forum, we're talking about the NBA.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:52 PM

When talking about Andrew Bynum, yes.

When talking about Manu Ginobili, no.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Do you remember that night when Manu dropped 48 on JJ ?

Or that other night were Manu had 24 straight points (40 in total) on JJ ? :lmao

Wow, two whole games.

dirk4mvp
08-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Wow, two whole games.

He probably followed those games with a few 8 points on 15 shots performances.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Before and Now I'd rather have Manu on my team.
Manu needs 30 minutes and he can score 20 points. JJ needs 40 minutes to score 20 points. And JJ also needs to shoot the ball at least 5 times more than Manu.
So I go with Manu, and don't ask me why anymore.

Yup, Manu would be just as efficient as the main focus of his team as he is as the side kick who gets to play off a better player.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 01:55 PM

Manu at his 32 years has the same amount of injuries that Johnson at his 20 something, people are overrating Manu's "fragilness" 'cause he has been injured lately.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:55 PM

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Manu at his 32 years has the same amount of injuries that Johnson at his 20 something, people are overrating Manu's "fragilness" 'cause he has been injured lately.

How did you calculate that?

dirk4mvp

He's frail, deal with it.

lefty
Wow, two whole games.
THat was just a sample

DAF86
08-11-2009, 02:00 PM

Knowing that Manu averages only 10 FG attemps per game in his entire career I really doubt he would regularly attemp 15 FG when he's having a bad shooting night.

dirk4mvp
08-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Knowing that Manu averages only 10 FG attemps per game in his entire career I really doubt he would regularly attemp 15 FG when he's having a bad shooting night.

You know this how? Do you have every box score of Manu's every game bookmarked?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 02:01 PM

You musta missed that Lakers Spurs series in 2008.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Wow, two whole games.

That's twice as much as JJ droping 40 on Manu.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 02:03 PM
That's twice as much as JJ droping 40 on Manu.

So I guess since Amare has dropped 40+ on Duncan more than Duncan has dropped 40+ on Amare, Amare > Duncan.

Gino
08-11-2009, 02:04 PM
So I guess since Amare has dropped 40+ on Duncan more than Duncan has dropped 40+ on Amare, Amare > Duncan.

Good point! I think you just killed that argument.

TMTTRIO
08-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Of course Duncan helps players like Manu be better but it's not like Manu couldn't do what he does on another team. Heck look at Hedo. He didn't do much with the Spurs and playing next to Tim, but once he went to Orlando he had a career year.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 02:06 PM
You musta missed that Lakers Spurs series in 2008.

I can't find the box-scores of that series. Can somebody post them?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 02:06 PM

Now they'll probably go back to the argument that says Robert Horry is better than Michael Jordan.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 02:08 PM

game 1 he was 3-13

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 02:09 PM
He didn't do much with the Spurs and playing next to Tim, but once he went to Orlando he had a career year.

That had a lot to do with being the primary ball handler on Orlando when Manu and Parker both got more touches on SA.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 02:09 PM

No, 'cause I never said that Manu > Joe because he dropped 40+ twice on him. (I give other reasons for that)

I was just answering the "whole two games" response.

duncan228
08-11-2009, 02:34 PM

Game 1

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280521013

Game 2

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280523013

Game 3

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280525024

Game 4

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280527024

Game 5

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280529013

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 02:36 PM
DAF86, in the future, if you need a box score or any statistic, go to basketball-reference.com

DJB
08-11-2009, 02:42 PM

:toast

DPG21920
08-11-2009, 02:44 PM
No team with Joe Johnson as the number 1 option would win a title either.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 02:48 PM
No team with Joe Johnson as the number 1 option would win a title either.

Never said otherwise. I do have a hard time believing a team led by Manu could win 47 games and advance to the 2nd round.

angelbelow
08-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Talent wise and potential wise, JJ easily. But I think the smarter player is Manu. Whether it is his work ethic, his Bball IQ, his competitiveness, or his luck, Ginobili has been the more successful player. So this is a tough poll. I picked ginobili obviously because I'm biased and I think it could be argued either way.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Talent wise and potential wise, JJ easily. But I think the smarter player is Manu. Whether it is his work ethic, his Bball IQ, his competitiveness, or his luck, Ginobili has been the more successful player. So this is a tough poll. I picked ginobili obviously because I'm biased and I think it could be argued either way.

My personal view is BBall IQ is part of your natural talent. IMO talent isn't only physical gifts. No matter how hard he tried, JJ would never be as smart as Manu.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Game 1

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280521013

Game 2

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280523013

Game 3

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280525024

Game 4

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280527024

Game 5

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280529013

DAF86, in the future, if you need a box score or any statistic, go to basketball-reference.com

Thanks

z0sa
08-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Never said otherwise. I do have a hard time believing a team led by Manu could win 47 games and advance to the 2nd round.

Why?

DAF86
08-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks

Oh and by the way, the games were just as I thought they were. The only close thing to a "8 pts 15 shots" performance was that 3 for 13 in game 1. The only time he took 15 shots he made 30 points.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Why?

Cause he' get injured if he tried to carry a team through 82 games like JJ did last year.

Leetonidas
08-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Again, I assumed that since we're in an "NBA" forum, we're talking about the NBA.

Um...

NBA Forum

Discuss the latest NBA news, rumors and action. Also the place to go for the WNBA, Euroleague, D-League and everything else basketball.

dirk4mvp
08-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Oh and by the way, the games were just as I thought they were. The only close thing to a "8 pts 15 shots" performance was that 3 for 13 in game 1. The only time he took 15 shots he made 30 points.

He was terrible most of that series.

TheManFromAcme
08-11-2009, 03:17 PM

Not to mention that unexplainable intangible that Gino brings. Tough poll but my personal $$ would be with Manu. :toast

DAF86
He was terrible most of that series.

Yep, I'm not saying other wise, but I think we all also know that there was a pretty good reason for that. When Sasha Vujacic of all people kept him in check you knew something was wrong.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
Um...

OK, so I needed to directly say my question was who is the better NBA player? I'm saying it now. Are you happy?

dirk4mvp
08-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Yep, I'm not saying other wise, but I think we all also know that there was a pretty good reason for that. When Sasha Vujacic of all people kept him in check you knew something was wrong.

You mean nba players have played injured before? :wow

rayray2k8
08-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Johnson right now, but as to who has achieved more in his career? Manu Ginobili

DAF86
08-11-2009, 03:24 PM
You mean nba players have played injured before? :wow

One thing is to play injured and other thing is to play like Manu did. Did you see the play (in the Argentina vs US semis of the olympics) where he finally broke entirely that ankle? ... Dude wasn't even touched, he was just running and suddenly he fell to the ground and started screaming. He wasn't even at 40% on that series.

Amaso
08-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Who's the better player right now? Joe Johnson
Who's the better basketball player? Manu

anonoftheinternets
08-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Who's the better player right now? Joe Johnson
Who's the better basketball player? Manu

+ 1 .. personally i think manu is past his prime and will be relegated to playing a more jumpshooting role. But he may have 2 years at at his best left in him. Will have to wait and see this season play out.

jazzypimp
08-11-2009, 04:27 PM
One thing is to play injured and other thing is to play like Manu did. Did you see the play (in the Argentina vs US semis of the olympics) where he finally broke entirely that ankle? ... Dude wasn't even touched, he was just running and suddenly he fell to the ground and started screaming. He wasn't even at 40% on that series.

I've seen manu fall down screaming many times when not even touched. I think that is just how he learned to play basketball!

JamStone
08-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Amidst all this butt-hurtness, I think it's actually a good debate asking who is the better player. I think most of the tangibles like size, strength, athleticism go in favor of Joe Johnson. Most of the intangibles like will to win, intensity, desire, clutch play go in favor of Ginobili. Not that either is lopsided in favor of the other, but I would say that's where the scales would tip for each.

I think there's a strong argument that Joe Johnson has been the #1 option on his Hakws teams while Manu has been the second or third option for the Spurs, so it's hard to compare statistics, even PER. By the way, it's funny to see some Spurs fans use PER to argue Ginobili being better when it goes in favor of the Spurs and then completely bash a statistic like PER when it doesn't. Based on PER, Chris Paul is by far a better player than Tony Parker and has been better since he's entered the league. How many Spurs fans would discredit the PER stat then?

Moreover, claiming that no team would win a title with Joe Johnson as the #1 option is pretty irrelevant since no team with Ginobili as the #1 option would either.

Now, I love Manu. He's one of my favorite players in the league, might be my #1 favorite player now because he was second only to Iverson the last few years. But, even if you do believe Manu is the better player, it's close. It's not some crazy lopsided disparity where Manu is miles ahead of Joe Johnson. It's close.

Plus, if you take into consideration right now, currently, at their respective ages, with Ginobili's diminished abilities due to injury after injury, there's plenty of arguments in favor of Joe Johnson.

Me, I'm still partial to Ginobili. I think when he's healthy and right, he's just a notch below the likes of Kobe and Wade at the 2-guard spot in the league. That's when he's healthy and right. So, I'd probably go with Ginobili in a pretty close call.

DPG21920
08-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Ya, I find it hard to believe that they are far apart with regards to tiers of player. JJ and Manu are much closer in talent than Kobe/Manu for example. It can be argued.

kamikazi_player
08-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Nothing against Manu, but if we were to pick one of these two players today, i would pick Joe Johnson over Manu. Joe Johnson is younger and more athletic than Manu. Plus JJ is probably even or a little better at d than Manu.

MambaJuice2408
08-11-2009, 06:07 PM
I would take Ginobilli at 70% over Joe Johnson at 100%

Texas_Ranger
08-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Here are the stats when Joe's team faces the Spurs.

They played 27 games against each other, 9 of those games in the playoffs.

Ginobili: 14,9 pts, 4,5 reb, 3 ast, 1,7 stl, 0,3 blk in 28,3 min.

Johnson: 14,1 pts, 3,8 reb, 2,9 ast, 1 stl, 0,3 blk in 36,1 min.

Playoffs:

Ginobili: 12,3 pts, 4,9 reb, 4,2 ast, 1,8 stl, 0,4 blk in 32,1 min.

Johnson: 9,7 pts, 4,1 reb, 2 ast, 0,9 stl, 0,3 blk in 31,6 min.

Manu >> Joe

dirk4mvp
08-11-2009, 06:23 PM
lol and what option was Joe Johnson in that series?

Texas_Ranger
08-11-2009, 06:32 PM
lol and what option was Joe Johnson in that series?

Well in 03 when Manu was a rookie, Joe was the first option of the bench. He played at least 25-30 minutes a game in that 6 game series. He had a bigger role than Manu on the Spurs. Joe also took like 4 more shots than Manu.

In 05 Joe was a starter in the playoffs. But he only played the last 3 games of the Spurs - Suns series. He played 40 minutes a game. He was the 3rd option on offense, just like Manu.

Red Hawk #21
08-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Lol this poll sux...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Well in 03 when Manu was a rookie, Joe was the first option of the bench. He played at least 25-30 minutes a game in that 6 game series. He had a bigger role than Manu on the Spurs. Joe also took like 4 more shots than Manu.

In 05 Joe was a starter in the playoffs. But he only played the last 3 games of the Spurs - Suns series. He played 40 minutes a game. He was the 3rd option on offense, just like Manu.

In 2003 Manu was 25 years old and JJ was 21 years old. Don't pull the inexperience card there.

And in 2005 JJ played the entire series with one eye and a mask he wasn't used to using.

Texas_Ranger
08-11-2009, 06:55 PM
In 2003 Manu was 25 years old and JJ was 21 years old. Don't pull the inexperience card there.

And in 2005 JJ played the entire series with one eye and a mask he wasn't used to using.

So what if he was 25 years old. Joe was already one year in the league. The inexperienced player outplayed the experienced one.

Joe played good 3 games against the Spurs in 05. Richard Hamilton aso had a mask that he wasn't used to, and he still won the championship. So who gives a fuck about the mask.

Manu is just better.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 06:57 PM
So what if he was 25 years old. Joe was already one year in the league.

Joe played good 3 games against the Spurs in 05. Richard Hamilton aso had a mas that he wasn't used to, and he still won the championship. So who gives a fuck about the mask.

Except Rip had been used to the mask, he's worn one his entire career. Rip actually broke his nose 3 different times because he refused to wear the mask at first.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 06:57 PM
So what if he was 25 years old. Joe was already one year in the league. The inexperienced player outplayed the experienced one.

O yeah, the 21 year old was so much more experienced than the 25 YO :rolleyes

Texas_Ranger
08-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Manu is better. He's got better stat's against Joe and he also's got more awards than him.
You don't have to agree with me, but 45 other guys who voted will agree.

dirk4mvp
08-11-2009, 07:03 PM
You mean to say, Spur fans would vote for their player in a poll? :wow

08-11-2009, 07:04 PM
I would obviously choose Johnson over ginobili simply because he's younger. I'd say their levels are pretty similar right now but if I needed to choose one for just next season, I would rather have ginobili because he's slightly better now. Since the spurs arent just playing for one championship, Johnson would greatly extend the spurs championship window so it's a no brainer.

Texas_Ranger
08-11-2009, 07:07 PM

yes. :wow

This guys are really morons to put Manu in a poll on a Spurs forum, cause we all know he will win.
So why the fuck do you guys put a Spurs player in a poll on this forum.

oh and btw...Duncan >> Dirk

dirk4mvp
08-11-2009, 07:10 PM
This guys are really morons to put Manu in a poll on a Spurs forum, cause we all know he will win.
So why the fuck do you guys put a Spurs player in a poll on this forum.

To see how big of a bunch of homers spur fans are.

lol 4-1

lol barea owning the spurs

lol bass owning the spurs

Texas_Ranger
08-11-2009, 07:11 PM
To see how big of a bunch of homers spur fans are.

lol 4-1

lol barea owning the spurs

lol bass owning the spurs

lol 4-0

That enough.

dirk4mvp
08-11-2009, 07:12 PM
That enough.

huh? Are you trying to communicate?

Texas_Ranger
08-11-2009, 07:16 PM
huh? Are you trying to communicate?

Sorry. It's 2.15 am here. I'm tired.:sleep

DAF86
08-11-2009, 07:17 PM

Make a Kobe vs Manu poll and look who wins. People voted for Manu 'cause they know he's the better player.

timtonymanurich
08-11-2009, 07:20 PM
It occurs to me that with the 'eye for talent' that both RC and Pop have that the signing of Marcus and Ian Mahinmi is no desperation move. Marcus Haislip is more of a lighter, more athletic Hedo with his ability of shooting from any where on the floor, and the Ian Mahinmi addition, he just might be the NBA's best kept secret in that he is very fast for a big man, and very athletic like D Rob (David Robinson). One can only hope that Ian is taking summer league tutorials from the Admiral the way that Bynum is apparently under the tutelage of Kareem. Could we be witnessing the development of D Rob 2.0 in Mahinmi?
One can only hope.
We have SUCH a deadly line up as a starting 5 and impressive but also unproven bench in some players. I'm just stoked as I can maintain to see Timmy, Tony, Manu, RJ, and McDyess come on to the floor after a time out (hopefully called by the other team) for the final 3-4 minutes of important games building chemistry, and learning together how to close out games in preparation for closing out the last few games of the WCF and the '10 NBA Finals. Who is REALLY going to stop that line up? Lebron can only guard one guy, and Shag
(misspelled on purpose) can only guard so much of the paint, Kobe will be forced to guard either Manu or RJ and won't be able to provide much of any help defense, Pau's Defense is as (in)effective as Dirk's, and Byn(othing) is a no-show when it matters, and Ron Artest? Well when he has his temper tantrums, --and he will-- will fade away like he did with the Rockets when it mattered. I'm not saying that the Spurs will sweep the Fakers and the Cavs if and when we meet them in the playoffs, but not only will SA be at full strength this season, but every team will need to respect everyone on the floor when the Spurs show up for the last 3-4 minutes in every 4th quarter they play against us.

weebo
08-11-2009, 07:21 PM

Like dirk's basketball psyche.

Texas_Ranger
08-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Make a Kobe vs Manu poll and look who wins. People voted for Manu 'cause they know he's the better player.

I don't know if Kobe would win. Manu will defeat Dirk in the Spurs forum poll.:hat

DAF86
08-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I don't know if Kobe would win. Manu will defeat Dirk in the Spurs forum poll.:hat

Dirk isn't Kobe and that poll isn't a straight who's better question.

dirk4mvp
08-11-2009, 07:24 PM

Right, because a small scope like the people who visit the nba forum of spurstalk votes for Manu makes this true.

dirk4mvp
08-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Dirk isn't Kobe and that poll isn't a straight who's better question.

Because people with common sense know Dirk is far superior to manu.

ginobili's bald spot
08-11-2009, 07:25 PM

Wait hold on... You think manu is better than Kobe? Holy ..... Argentinian spurfans are dumber than I thought.

Texas_Ranger
08-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Wait hold on... You think manu is better than Kobe? Holy ..... Argentinian spurfans are dumber than I thought.
Not Kobe. Joe Johnson!

MateoNeygro
08-11-2009, 07:28 PM
I'd say Johnson has a better more consistent jumper. Manu is much better all around, better Defense better ability to get into the paint and more mentally tough.

weebo
08-11-2009, 07:30 PM

No shit. Surround Kobe with a bunch of scrubs and even he can't win 47 games (05-07). Moron.:rolleyes

MateoNeygro
08-11-2009, 07:30 PM

nice

MateoNeygro
08-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Lol all the Suns and Mavs fans say Johnson. What a bunch of non title winning hater homo's.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 07:33 PM

Read my comment again and the quote I was responding to.

Leetonidas
08-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Notice it's not just Spur Fans, there's also a few Laker, Sun, and Piston fans that said Ginobili.

MateoNeygro
08-11-2009, 07:38 PM
1) The poll isnt discussing who has the most accomplishments. Its asking who the better player is and I assume it means "Who is the best RIGHT NOW". Ginobili isnt the player he once was and JJ is entering his prime. There's no GM in the NBA who wouldnt rather have JJ over Ginobili

2) Joe Johnsn and Ginobili have both played second fiddle while only Johnson has played as "The man". So comparing NBA team achievements is comparing apples to oranges.

3) Learn the difference between "win" and "won". I normally dont care about grammar but twice in one paragraph is bizzare. Are you foreign?

Stop saying Joe Johnson is THE MAN who gives a fuck? He plays for the Hawks they make it to the playoffs with a record that would hardly get them to the playoffs if he were in the West. Phoneix fans hate so hard.

timtonymanurich
08-11-2009, 07:40 PM
lol 4-0

That enough.

Funny how you never mention TParks straight OWNING Dallas single-handedly during the reg. season when we were without Timmy AND Manu and TParks lit yous up for 40+. Dallas turned into a team full of Dork Nowitski's on D and watched the Tony Parker Show.
Yeah, no need to start acting like a lady.... you and the Mavs will be back on your knees next season in NO time.
ALSO notable, Popovich never once mentioned their revaping their roster because of their trying to get past the likes of Dallas. It's always been to beat the Lakers. True Dallas may have had a something to do with lighting a fire under our ownerships cracks to revamp the roster, but humorous, and flattering that Dallas thinks they're so much as a BLIP on our championship Roster.

I'm curious, does Mark Cuban have some sort of post-season party over at the Mavericks stadium for the seasons the Mavs just simply "GET PAST" the Spurs in the playoffs? Does he give out mock "Spurs series Champs" tee-shirts and lapel pins to the players and coaching staff along with little tin trophies for made-up accomplishments like "New BEST Flopper" for Barea, and "JUST HAPPY TO HAVE MADE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS" plaques to Dallas Hierarchy? ---> I ONLY ask because you Dallas fans act as if to have basically WON the Championship JUST by beating a Spurs team at 60% (lips smacking...smacking...) Oh, does that taste bad? Hard to swallow? Mavs in May---> :fishing

Spurs and Fans in Late June----->

:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

:danceclub

MateoNeygro
08-11-2009, 07:43 PM
He's frail, deal with it.

and dirk is a vadge...childish but just thought u should know.

dirk4mvp
08-11-2009, 07:44 PM
lol quoting the wrong comment.

dirk4mvp
08-11-2009, 07:44 PM
and dirk is a vadge...childish but just thought u should know.

good post.

weebo
08-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Funny how you never mention TParks straight OWNING Dallas single-handedly during the reg. season when we were without Timmy AND Manu and TParks lit yous up for 40+. Dallas turned into a team full of Dork Nowitski's on D and watched the Tony Parker Show.
Yeah, no need to start acting like a lady.... you and the Mavs will be back on your knees next season in NO time.
ALSO notable, Popovich never once mentioned their revaping their roster because of their trying to get past the likes of Dallas. It's always been to beat the Lakers. True Dallas may have had a something to do with lighting a fire under our ownerships cracks to revamp the roster, but humorous, and flattering that Dallas thinks they're so much as a BLIP on our championship Roster.

I'm curious, does Mark Cuban have some sort of post-season party over at the Mavericks stadium for the seasons the Mavs just simply "GET PAST" the Spurs in the playoffs? Does he give out mock "Spurs series Champs" tee-shirts and lapel pins to the players and coaching staff along with little tin trophies for made-up accomplishments like "New BEST Flopper" for Barea, and "JUST HAPPY TO HAVE MADE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS" plaques to Dallas Hierarchy? ---> I ONLY ask because you Dallas fans act as if to have basically WON the Championship JUST by beating a Spurs team at 60% (lips smacking...smacking...) Oh, does that taste bad? Hard to swallow? Mavs in May---> :fishing

You haven't been here long have you?

MateoNeygro
08-11-2009, 07:48 PM

Got em!

MateoNeygro
08-11-2009, 07:49 PM
good post.

hahaha sorry. I just don't like when people call Manu frail Lol. My bad man.

MateoNeygro
08-11-2009, 07:53 PM
I've seen manu fall down screaming many times when not even touched. I think that is just how he learned to play basketball!

Hhahaha Jazz fans don't matter don't u know that???

MateoNeygro
08-11-2009, 07:58 PM

Hey DOk if u start a poll isn't it purely an opinion thing? I mean people who say Manu u just shit on them. It seems really personal to u.

Pistons < Spurs
08-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Not a bad poll. They're pretty close IMO. Considering it's on a Spurs board, I had no doubt that Manu would win. But I do think it's telling that of JJ's 28 votes, 11 of them are from non-Spurs fans. Whereas of Manu's 52 votes, only 4 come from outside the fanbase.

Manu is s bit better defensively, and shoots at a better percentage, but also gets a higher percentage of his points from the line. I think JJ is the better playmaker overall, for himself and his teamates.

I've got them pretty even, but eventually Manu's inability to complete a season healthy forced me to go with JJ. In 7 seasons, Manu has never been able to play a full 82 games. Whereas JJ has played a full compliment of games 5 of his 8 years in the L. And plays nearly 10 more minutes per.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Hey DOk if u start a poll isn't it purely an opinion thing? I mean people who say Manu u just shit on them. It seems really personal to u.

That's naturally how arguments work, when someone elses argument disagrees with yours, you try to dispute it.

DAF86
08-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Not a bad poll. They're pretty close IMO. Considering it's on a Spurs board, I had no doubt that Manu would win. But I do think it's telling that of JJ's 28 votes, 11 of them are from non-Spurs fans. Whereas of Manu's 52 votes, only 4 come from outside the fanbase.

Manu is s bit better defensively, and shoots at a better percentage, but also gets a higher percentage of his points from the line. I think JJ is the better playmaker overall, for himself and his teamates.

I've got them pretty even, but eventually Manu's inability to complete a season healthy forced me to go with JJ. In 7 seasons, Manu has never been able to play a full 82 games. Whereas JJ has played a full compliment of games 5 of his 8 years in the L. And plays nearly 10 more minutes per.

That's 'cause Pop sits his players even when they aren't injured. The only serious injury Manu has had on his career was this last ankle one and he's 32 years old.

And about the fans vote: take a closer look, a lot more people than just 4 non-spurs fans voted for Manu.

Pistons < Spurs
08-11-2009, 08:44 PM
And about the fans vote: take a closer look, a lot more people than just 4 non-spurs fans voted for Manu.

I realize I only counted the posters whose screen names are 'colored' to their teams ... I'm sure there's some I missed on both sides. But the overall point is still valid. A far great % of those who I'd label as less biased, voted for JJ.

Pistons < Spurs
08-11-2009, 08:49 PM
That's 'cause Pop sits his players even when they aren't injured. The only serious injury Manu has had on his career was this last ankle one and he's 32 years old.

I didn't nail him down as being injury prone or anything like that, but I'd have a ton more confidence in JJ being able to play every night than I would with Manu.

And I didn't even factor in the age. Completely slipped my mind. Nor did I look at their size. 2 more reasons for me to lean towards JJ.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

MateoNeygro
08-11-2009, 10:01 PM
That's naturally how arguments work, when someone elses argument disagrees with yours, you try to dispute it.

Fair enough, well played....

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Fair enough, well played....

:toast

And nothings personal, it's the internet :lol

DJB
08-11-2009, 10:58 PM
playoff stats:

It's the things that don't show up in a stat sheet.

ElNono
08-11-2009, 10:59 PM

Or you just troll it. For example:

LOL D'Antoni
LOL SSOL
LOL Nash
LOL Shaq
LOL Dumbare

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Or you just troll it. For example:

LOL D'Antoni
LOL SSOL
LOL Nash
LOL Shaq
LOL Dumbare

There are so many better way to butcher Amar(*%@#(*%@#(%@#(e's name.

DJB
08-11-2009, 11:02 PM

I like you.

Sense
08-11-2009, 11:09 PM

You seem to forget team Argentina.

Manu is by far the better player... Sure JJ is talented and all that bs but he's nowhere near Manu in my book for many reasons...

I separate NBA players by what they accomplish and how they do that.

If someone fill up the stat sheets.. he's just a good nba player, but nothing special.

Ginobili has done it all... All you have to do is watch Ginobili in the 2005 playoffs to know who the better player is. Don't give me this Duncan next to him bs. If JJ is next to Tim.. chances are he'd be a freaking role player. I really doubt Duncan would count on JJ in the playoffs to get past an opponent.

Without Ginobili.. like many have said.. this Spurs team doesn't win.. and it hasn't. This is in the Western Conference too..

dirk4mvp
08-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Spur fans are clinging hard to one playoff run Manu had (where he put up nice, not great number), and using it every time someone dares to say another player is better than him.

Hemotivo
08-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Joe J. is a great shooter/scorer; like ray allen and others NBA stars

but Manu is an amazing basketball player

Sense
08-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Spur fans are clinging hard to one playoff run Manu had (where he put up nice, not great number), and using it every time someone dares to say another player is better than him.

Anything before 2005.... After that well... yeah that's when injuries started to happen more often..

I'm really surprised by the poll numbers...

I'm not being a homer... being a fan of Manu is like being a fan of basketball. You have to follow him and see everything he's done to appreciate it.

ElNono
08-11-2009, 11:44 PM

Not really. He was the Spurs top scorer only a year ago...

dirk4mvp
08-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Not really. He was the Spurs top scorer only a year ago...

by .2 pts a game, wasn't even 20/game and it was also in a year Duncan played the least amount of minutes he's played since 05. :sleep Color me unimpressed.

ElNono
08-12-2009, 12:00 AM
by .2 pts a game, wasn't even 20/game and it was also in a year Duncan played the least amount of minutes he's played since 05. :sleep Color me unimpressed.

Not trying to impress you. Merely debunking that we Spurs fans cling only to his '05 performance. He has actually played better for us after that.

dirk4mvp
08-12-2009, 12:11 AM
By picking up some of the slack from Duncan being hobbled?

But hey, at least there's that one playoff run!

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-12-2009, 01:51 AM

Texas_Ranger
08-12-2009, 02:04 AM

yea, but he played just like 30 minutes a game.

Chieflion
08-12-2009, 02:16 AM
I agree with DoK. This is 2009, soon to be 2010. This is Joe Johnson by a long shot. Switch Manu into that Hawks team. I don't think they win more. They would maybe be lottery bound.

diego
08-12-2009, 09:40 AM
why is JJ's team success a citable positive for him (2nd round as a franchise player) while manu's team success isnt (3 championship, 1 wcf, 2 wcsf as 2nd/3rd option and closer)? is the franchise player the only factor behind team success? does that make JJ better than wade since JJ's much deeper hawks beat wade's inexperienced heat? oh, and JJ is more durable than wade too. does anyone really think JJ is better than wade?

when paul pierce was alone on the celtics, he posted much better numbers than he does now that he has better players around him. the same can be said for kobe, when he was alone and getting scoring titles while barely making the playoffs if at all. where is the evidence that manu would do worse playing bigger minutes and starting? I understand the logic behind it, but if you look at manu's stats his best seasons were the ones he played the most minutes, both RS and PO. and their stats are virtually identical, whether it be averages, career highs, etc.

i can see the argument for JJ. I just think its silly to reduce it to "he plays a bigger role for his team because he is the 1st option". the arguments for JJ, imo, are that he is more careful with the ball, has significant size advantage at his position, is more athletic/durable/younger, has a better shot.
and the argument for manu is that he is more creative with the ball, much better at taking it to the hole and finishing and thus a better scorer, a better rebounder, and in general plays with more intensity.

me personally i prefer manu's reckless drives over JJ's smooth pull up jumpers, because i think games are won in the paint.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-12-2009, 09:43 AM
You seem to forget team Argentina.

Forgetting team Argentina and not giving two shits about team Argentina are two different things.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Joe J. is a great shooter/scorer; like ray allen and others NBA stars

but Manu is an amazing basketball player

Wtf does that even mean?

KidCongo
08-12-2009, 09:50 AM
why is JJ's team success a citable positive for him (2nd round as a franchise player) while manu's team success isnt (3 championship, 1 wcf, 2 wcsf as 2nd/3rd option and closer)? is the franchise player the only factor behind team success? does that make JJ better than wade since JJ's much deeper hawks beat wade's inexperienced heat? oh, and JJ is more durable than wade too. does anyone really think JJ is better than wade?

Nope because Wade won the scoring title this season. Wade lead his inferior team to a similiar record whilst being a 1st team guard. Wade also gained 2nd NBA defensive team whilst gaining the 3rd most votes in DPOY.

You made a stupid analogy.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Nope because Wade won the scoring title this season. Wade lead his inferior team to a similiar record whilst being a 1st team guard. Wade also gained 2nd NBA defensive team whilst gaining the 3rd most votes in DPOY.

You made a stupid analogy.

You realize you're arguing with a guy who said the Hawks played the 76ers in the playoffs last year?

diego
08-12-2009, 11:32 AM
You realize you're arguing with a guy who said the Hawks played the 76ers in the playoffs last year?

you're the one whose only argument is that JJ led his team to the 2nd round. you havent said anything about these two beyond that, and that manu owes his success to the attention tim duncan draws. what have you said about how they actually play, oh great watcher of basketball? so i mixed up the cannon fodder in the eastern conference, wgaf.

the whole point of the analogy was to show that wade's other accomplishments outweigh how his team fared with him as the franchise player. has JJ ever been on an all nba team? manu has.

DAF86
08-12-2009, 11:36 AM
I agree with DoK. This is 2009, soon to be 2010. This is Joe Johnson by a long shot. Switch Manu into that Hawks team. I don't think they win more. They would maybe be lottery bound.

The OP question is who is the best basketball player, not who is the best basketball player right now.

08-12-2009, 04:24 PM
according to mr. hollinger, a hypothetical swap would increase the hawks' wins by 4 and decrease the spurs' wins by 5. hollinger says manu > johnson so it is the law.