PDA

View Full Version : Western Conference Arms Race

ceperez
08-11-2009, 01:49 PM
http://projectspurs.com/2009-articles/august/western-conference-arms-race.html

If we end up playing the Lakers in the playoffs, expect a fantastic series. I think these two teams are fairly equal. Both teams are extremely deep, create match up problems for the other, and are imposing defensively. The Spurs will not be able to stop Kobe, but the Lakers have no answers for Tony or Manu. The Lakers will create mismatches because they are huge with Odom, Bynum and Gasol potentially playing at the same time, but how will those slow, tall players match up with the Spurs defensively?

Halberto
08-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Odom is not slow and Gasol is a much better defender than most think. He always seems to do a good job on Timmy.

Dr. Gonzo
08-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Spurs in 13.

2Cleva
08-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Is that from your blog?

Pau, Odom, and Bynum are all quicker than Duncan, McDyess and Ratliff.

LA is far from slow except when Fisher is involved.

spursfaninla
08-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Kobe can slow down Manu because they will let Kobe get away with shit, lets hope manu can stay out of foul trouble

oligarchy
08-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Brown/Kobe/Artest/Odom/Gasol

That's a pretty quick team, and large. That would put RJ on Artest and Manu on Kobe. Spurs still don't have anyone to match up with Odom at this point, only the hope. Manu would have to play most of the minutes, because Mason on Kobe doesn't look good.

A line-up of Brown/Kobe/Odom/Bynum/Gasol would be worse as far as a match-up goes.

There's a reason the Lakers are favorites. We'll see how the question marks shape up for the Spurs.

Dex
08-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Laker Fan is once again in denial that his team could unfathomably lose a game of basketball this season, and balance is restored to the universe.

Man In Black
08-11-2009, 07:18 PM

I'll grant you Pau & Odom. But until Bynum shows that he's healthy, I can't give you that. It's not a 40 time race. I will grant speed but not positioning and smarts. It's rare to have a big run long to finish. Odom will do that more than most, but there is a reason why Wings are the best finishers.

Tim=Pau This could tilt more towards Tim since he's coming in lighter and healthy. Pau's gotta rest that broken left finger for at least 3 weeks. There will be a period of adjustment. It happened to TP a few seasons back. Need to see the full evaluation to get a real idea but 3 weeks sounds right. If it's a long splint for the surgical repair, then that number could easily go 4 to 6 weeks if needed.

McDyess and Tim aren't exactly plodders and while Ratliff isn't fast, he ain't Ilgauskas slow either. Cross matchup bumps on the break should help slow down the Lakers at times, whereas if it's Parker coming, if he has a step, then the opp PG has no chance whatsoever.

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-11-2009, 07:34 PM
I'll grant you Pau & Odom. But until Bynum shows that he's healthy, I can't give you that. It's not a 40 time race. I will grant speed but not positioning and smarts. It's rare to have a big run long to finish. Odom will do that more than most, but there is a reason why Wings are the best finishers.

Tim=Pau This could tilt more towards Tim since he's coming in lighter and healthy. Pau's gotta rest that broken left finger for at least 3 weeks. There will be a period of adjustment. It happened to TP a few seasons back. Need to see the full evaluation to get a real idea but 3 weeks sounds right. If it's a long splint for the surgical repair, then that number could easily go 4 to 6 weeks if needed.

McDyess and Tim aren't exactly plodders and while Ratliff isn't fast, he ain't Ilgauskas slow either. Cross matchup bumps on the break should help slow down the Lakers at times, whereas if it's Parker coming, if he has a step, then the opp PG has no chance whatsoever.

And don't forget the man-beast Blair who I think will do a credible and effective job of blocking his man out; out by the concession stand. No he won't make the all star game, but i'm of the opinion that he will have an impact.

weebo
08-11-2009, 07:59 PM
As of right now, the lakers are the better team. Although the Spurs have made upgrades in a lot of positions, most of these guys are still unknown. By mid season I think we'll get a better indication what kind of team the Spurs have.

Fred Silva
08-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Is that from your blog?

LA is far from slow except when Fisher is involved.

That's great. And Tony Parker is quicker than Adam Morrison. The thing is, they do not play the same position and one is a scrub. In the same way, comparing Ratliff to Odom is silly. The Spurs will not play McDyess, Duncan and Ratliff at the same time. What we are looking at is a Tony, Manu, Jefferson, McDyess, Duncan lineup versus Fisher, Kobe, Odom, Bynum and Gasol. My point is that Odom will not be able to guard Jefferson and Bynum/Gasol will have trouble guarding McDyess since he has a great perimeter shot. So, the Lakers will have an advantage with that lineup, but so do the Spurs. So who wins overall? I'm not sure, and that is why I did not pick who would win a series between the two. We'll have to wait to see who has the upper-hand when these lineups are utilized.

mytespurs
08-13-2009, 05:24 PM
As of right now, the lakers are the better team. Although the Spurs have made upgrades in a lot of positions, most of these guys are still unknown. By mid season I think we'll get a better indication what kind of team the Spurs have.

I agree. Excellent post.

spursfan1000
08-13-2009, 05:46 PM
I believe it will be a great matchup against the Lakers if we play them...there are also other teams that can give the Spurs a run for their money.:flag:

spurspokesman
08-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Where is the confidence spur fans. LA has got there work cut out for them. And LA is known to buckle under pressure.(EXCLUDING KOBE). The rest of that team is available for the taking, artest will self destruct and tony and manu still owns LA. SA health is my only concern. Lets go spurs. But yet and still we can't look past anybody in the west as there is teams that can sneak up on LA or SA if they don't bring there A' game.

easy7
08-14-2009, 10:20 AM
It's a conspiracy I tell you...

The_Game
08-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Where is the confidence spur fans. LA has got there work cut out for them. And LA is known to buckle under pressure.(EXCLUDING KOBE). The rest of that team is available for the taking, artest will self destruct and tony and manu still owns LA. SA health is my only concern. Lets go spurs. But yet and still we can't look past anybody in the west as there is teams that can sneak up on LA or SA if they don't bring there A' game.

:lol You trying to convince yourself? saying a team that just won the title is known for buckling under pressure? funny stuff....Manu owns L.A? only thing Manu owns is the injured list. Funny how you think Artest will self destruct..more like you are praying he does..otherwise you know you will have your hands full if he is playing well.

That said there is no other team that concerns me..the Spurs will be the main threat in the west.

spursfaninla
08-14-2009, 11:26 AM
I do think the Lakers took a bit of a gamble with artest...we shall see.

The spurs have to show they are healthy. If the playoffs come and we are, the Lakers will take us seriously, even if the fans don't.

We are the only west teams with significant championship experience, with talent that has gone that far...thus, we are the favorites if they are both healthy to get to the wcf.

Lakers have to be the west favorite, but we will see how they play without ariza and with ron.

For the record, Ficher is a clutch player, easily playing the Horry role that he did for the spurs.

YODA
08-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Havent seen a game of the spurs, yet here we are talking how the matchups gonna be. Why waste all this talk on something that may bever happen. Lets see how Blair, Jefferson and Dice blend in. Lets so how healthy Manu and Tim is. Lets see how well Hill and Mahimi work out. Lets watch some games before we talk about what if's.
We waste so much talk on this so early before season.

nkdlunch
08-14-2009, 12:08 PM
someone stole my thread title :pctoss

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131134&highlight=arms+race

Fred Silva
08-14-2009, 03:29 PM
someone stole my thread title :pctoss

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131134&highlight=arms+race

Incorrect. This thread was based on an article I wrote for Project Spurs.

http://www.projectspurs.com/2009-articles/august/western-conference-arms-race.html

timtonymanurich
08-14-2009, 03:58 PM
:nutkick:
:lol You trying to convince yourself? saying a team that just won the title is known for buckling under pressure? funny stuff....Manu owns L.A? only thing Manu owns is the injured list. Funny how you think Artest will self destruct..more like you are praying he does..otherwise you know you will have your hands full if he is playing well.

That said there is no other team that concerns me..the Spurs will be the main threat in the west.

DANG STRAIGHT!
Can't wait for Timmy to go back to having more rings than Kobe after this season!!
v Spurs v Lakers
:nutkick:

Fred Silva
08-14-2009, 04:07 PM

No need to pray that Artest is not a positive for the Lakers, it is more of a waiting game. You gave him a 5 year contract. What are the odds this guy acts like a sane human for 5 straight years? 1%? I think that is on the high-end.

Also, do not kid yourself, Artest has lost a step. Is he powerful? Yes. Can he guard a big 3 or 4? Yes. Is he still quick? Absolutely not. He put on too much weight to stay in front of the quick, athletic 3s in the league. And that is supposed to be part of his value; that he can lock down anyone.

Artest has a knack for shooting low percentage shots in big moments. This was somewhat hidden on the Rockets because who else was going to take the shot? But on a team with Kobe, Odom, Gasol and Fisher, Artest should realistically be the fifth option for a game winning shot. But as has been extensively reported, the guy is out of his mind. In his crazy mind, he is a first or second option. I guarantee he misses game winning shots for the Lakers, to which Kobe will make his WTF face that he has perfected over the years.

All that being said, the Lakers are crazy talented and will be a beast. I'm just saying, putting all your eggs in Artest's basket is not the safest move the Lakers could have made, by a long shot.

SteelerNation
08-14-2009, 04:16 PM
This is a moot point because the Lakers wont get through Portland. Every Laker fan last year was praying the Blazers lose to the Rockets. The Spurs have retooled and got healthy. If manu can be there for the post season...look out. While the Lakers have a player that you just dont know what you're gonna get in Artest. An unhappy Lamar for not getting the money he wanted. Another year slow PG in Fisher. And maybe, most omportantly, a center in Bynum that just had his salary jacked to 12+ mil/yr and its time to put up or shut up. My moneys on shut up. The guy was a flat out dud in the playoffs and any laker fan with half a brain knows it. So let me plant this flag in all Laker fans asses and say Long Live The Spurs.:flag:

SonOfAGun
08-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Dejuan Blair will put an end to this Cold War.