PDA

View Full Version : The Food Thread

JudynTX
08-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Pierogi are a dish of Slavic origin, consisting of boiled dumplings of unleavened dough stuffed with varying ingredients. They are usually semicircular, but are square in some cuisines. Pierogi or vareniki are half circular dumplings of unleavened dough, stuffed (singularly or in various combinations) with mashed potatoes, cheese, farmer's cheese, bryndza, cabbage, sauerkraut, meat, mushrooms, or other ingredients depending on the cook's personal preferences. Dessert versions of the dumpling can be stuffed with a fresh fruit filling, such as cherry, strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, peach, or apple; stoned prunes are sometimes used.

Mashed potatoes mixed with farmer's cheese and fried onions is a popular filling in Poland and Ukraine. In Poland this variety is called Ruskie pierogi. A popular filling for pierogi in Canada is mashed potatoes mixed with grated cheddar cheese.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/ladyspur/pierogis.jpg

I've just disocvered that my husband loves these, so I found a recipe online. :)

Soul_Patch
08-11-2009, 03:12 PM
http://assets.knowyourmeme.com/i/3375/original/cool-story-bro.jpg

METALMiKE
08-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Pierogies are awesome. I ate them all the time when I was living in PA.

baseline bum
08-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Cioppino is a fish stew derived from the various regional fish soups and stews of Italian cuisine. Cioppino is traditionally made from the catch of the day, which in the dish's place of origin is typically a combination of dungeness crab, clams, shrimp, scallops, squid, mussels and fish with fresh tomatoes in a wine sauce, often served over spaghetti or other long pasta and toasted buttered bread, either sourdough or baguette. The dish is comparable to bouillabaisse, burrida, and bourride of the French Provence, suquet de peix from Catalan speaking regions of coastal Spain, and to cacciucco and brodetto from Italy .[1] It was developed in the late 1800s by Italian fishermen who settled in the North Beach section of San Francisco.[2] Originally it was made on the boats while out at sea and later became a staple as Italian restaurants proliferated in San Francisco. The name comes from ciuppin, a word in the Ligurian dialect of the port city of Genoa, meaning "to chop" or "chopped" which described the process of making the stew by chopping up various leftovers of the days catch.[1] At least one restaurant in San Francisco, the eponymous Cioppino's, describes[3]an apocryphal story[2] in which the name derived from the heavily Italian-accented cry of the wharf cooks for the fishermen to "chip in" some of their catch to the collective soup pot.

Generally the seafood is cooked in broth and served in the shell, including the crab (if any) that is often served halved or quartered. It therefore requires special utensils, typically a crab fork and cracker. Depending on the restaurant, it may be accompanied by a bib to prevent food stains on clothing, which is also sometimes encouraged by restaurants for patrons to use as a sign to attract attention to the restaurant's food, second possibly damp napkin, or a second bowl for the shells. As a variation, the "lazy man's" cioppino is served with seafood shelled and crab legs cracked.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Cioppino.jpg