PDA

View Full Version : BBQ question for Cosmic Cowboy

tlongII
08-11-2009, 04:45 PM
So here's the deal...

A friend gave me a fresh tuna loin this past Sunday which I promptly vacuum-packed and stuck in the freezer. What would be the best way to prepare this type of fish? I've never cooked tuna on the bbq before and I know it can dry out real quick! Give me some ideas please and thanks.

:tu

Frenzy
08-11-2009, 05:53 PM
ever cook in a hole? haha i went to my dad's the other day and he was outside making a small hole in the ground and he had a grill over the hole.. i was like wtf... dad? are you on?

he was like ...bbq next week... you'll see. i was uneasy

tlongII
08-11-2009, 05:54 PM
chop it up and mix it with mayo and relish

:hungry:

Uncooked? C'mon dude! You're better than that!

MaNuMaNiAc
08-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Uncooked? C'mon dude! You're better than that!

I don't think I've ever eaten cooked tuna...

tlongII
08-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Where is Cosmic Cowboy???

PuttPutt
08-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Since CC hasn't responded, here's what I have done.

Make sure to cut off any skin & dark flesh. Mix together whatever bbq spices of your choice, you can use chili powder, cayenne, mustard, soy sauce, hot sauce and cumin or store bought packages of seasoning. Add a little flour to help spice mix stick to the tuna. Sprinkle tuna loin with spice mixture. Baste with canola oil or olive oil and sear on each side on a very hot grill. The tuna shouldn’t need more than 2-3 minutes a side. It'll be rare in the center. Cook a little longer if you want it cooked all the way through.

Here's what I used.
1 Tuna loin, cut into two pieces or more (make them into good size steaks)
2 T canola oil
3 T soy sauce
2 T Dijon mustard
2 T unsalted butter
1 T chili oil (some nice heat)

to21
08-12-2009, 07:47 AM
brush it with olive oil, add seasoning, and grill for about 3 mins. each side.

Taco
08-12-2009, 08:08 AM
I found these on Youtube :wakeup

aSGokaFWg20

VDC0BLFvQe0

tonylongoriafan
08-12-2009, 08:19 AM
fish = fried...i'll let u borrow my portable deep fryer

CosmicCowboy
08-12-2009, 08:27 AM
brush it with olive oil, add seasoning, and grill for about 3 mins. each side.

There ya go. Hot fire, direct heat. Maybe even less than 3 minutes.

Sear, flip, sear, pull it off. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and then slice in very thin slices with a sharp knife. you want it just slightly charred on the outside and still raw in the center. Drizzle with sauce/marinade of your choice.

You don't even have to do it on the grill...a hot cast iron skillet with a little olive oil will work just fine.

leemajors
08-12-2009, 08:31 AM
olive oil, fresh cracked black pepper, kosher salt. like several said, sear on each side.

BacktoBasics
08-12-2009, 08:42 AM
I actually think a hot cast iron skillet would be better.

Never freeze fish again.

Sportcamper
08-12-2009, 08:59 AM
1.Very light seasoning on the Ahi….Salt & pepper, Famous Dave’s, Emeril's Essence, all will work…
2.Fire up a dry cast iron skillet…Let it get hot over a medium flame….
3-Splash in some oil…Using your thumb & index finger…Just a few splashes in the center of the hot skillet….
4-Sear the Ahi for a minute or so on each side….The middle should be raw…

Sportcamper
08-12-2009, 09:09 AM
BTW- Is this the first time you have ever cooked anything other than Campbell’s Soup?

tlongII
08-12-2009, 11:53 PM
I ate it tonight. It was good, but I fucked it up. It wasn't completely defrosted which caused the middle to stay raw too long. Sorry, but I ain't eating raw fish. I basted it with a teriyaki sauce and I think the outside ended up being a little too dry actually. It was albacore tuna so it turned white. So like I said, it was good, but it could have been better.

Bigzax
08-13-2009, 07:12 AM
:depressed

you should have popped it in the microwave, then chopped it up and mixed it with relish and mayo and eaten it on wonder bread

ha! that's what i woulda done!