PDA

View Full Version : Let's not forget the other Elephant in the room.

Yonivore
08-11-2009, 10:36 PM
The Heritage Foundation (http://www.heritage.org/Research/EnergyandEnvironment/cda0904.cfm) has released a new economic analysis of Waxman-Markey, the cap and tax bill that, hopefully, is dead --at least for this year. The results aren't pretty. Heritage finds that Waxman Markey would, by 2035:

* Increase gas prices 58% above the increases included in the baseline forecast.
* Increase electricity prices by 90%.
* Raise energy costs for an average family of four by $1,241 per year.
* Cause the average family of four to pay $4,609 more per year, including increased taxes.
* Reduce GDP by an aggregate amount of $9.4 trillion.
* Increase the national debt by an additional $12,803 per person.

This chart illustrates the projected increases in energy costs; click to enlarge:

http://www.heritage.org/research/energyandenvironment/images/CDA-waxman-markey-chart-energy.gif

This one shows annual reductions in GDP:

http://www.heritage.org/research/energyandenvironment/images/CDA-waxman-markey-chart-GDP.gif

The most remarkable thing about Waxman-Markey is that it might not be the worst bill introduced into Congress this year.

Wild Cobra
08-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Pretty sad that liberals want to destroy this nation.

hope4dopes
08-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Pretty sad that liberals want to destroy this nation.

I don't know it seems Obamacare may have ignited a political movement that is gaining momentum, a movement that will be organized and ready for this bill, as well as for the amnesty bills that are being pushed, if they stay active till the midterms maybe we can elect some canidates that will speak for the people.

ElNono
08-11-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm certainly hoping you guys are right and the GOP retakes control of Congress next year...

Wild Cobra
08-11-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm certainly hoping you guys are right and the GOP retakes control of Congress next year...
Really? I'm hoping both parties melt down enough we get some good numbers of libertarians and constitutionalists in office.

Yonivore
08-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Really? I'm hoping both parties melt down enough we get some good numbers of libertarians and constitutionalists in office.
That would be sweet.

LnGrrrR
08-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Constitutionalists are kinda crazy. Libertarians are better... less crazy, more policy-oriented. Of course, more libertarians does probably more rights for suspected terrorists, less wiretapping, more transparency in court cases, and less acceptance of executive authority figures.

ElNono
08-11-2009, 11:32 PM

Not gonna happen. The political engines of both parties are just too dirty for something like that.
At least a mixed Congress/Executive is a more realistic option, and would make them sit down and talk about shit.

Yonivore
08-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Constitutionalists are kinda crazy. Libertarians are better... less crazy, more policy-oriented. Of course, more libertarians does probably more rights for suspected terrorists, less wiretapping, more transparency in court cases, and less acceptance of executive authority figures.
Actually, I think you'll find Libertarians in favor of capping their terrorist asses on the battlefield if, that is, you can get the Libertarian to agree we should be engaged in the battle at all.

I don't think Libertarians are in favor of extending Constitutional rights to non-U.S. citizens.

baseline bum
08-12-2009, 01:23 AM
Weren't these the same idiots saying we'd quickly win the war in Iraq that's still going on 6 1/2 years later? That we didn't need a large force to take the country and maintain peace? LMAO Heritage Foundation. Man, Iraq has been a textbook model of stability since the invasion!

ChumpDumper
08-12-2009, 04:01 AM
lol Heritage Foundation.

LnGrrrR
08-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Actually, I think you'll find Libertarians in favor of capping their terrorist asses on the battlefield if, that is, you can get the Libertarian to agree we should be engaged in the battle at all.

I don't think Libertarians are in favor of extending Constitutional rights to non-U.S. citizens.

I'm in favor of capping people on the battlefield. It's when you detain them and remove the threat of attack from them that we must allow certain rights for them.

The Constitution is not just for US citizens. Nice try. :) Basic tenets of the Constitution apply to anyone inside the US or US territory. Which is obvious really... I mean, you can't deny freedom of speech to someone just because he's not a citizen.

But if you can find some good law professors who are willing to take your side up that the Constitution is only for US citizens, I'm willing to read.

LnGrrrR
08-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I would like that... more so Ayn Rand than Ron "Batshit Crazy" Paul....

Have you ever talked to TRUE Randians? :) They're a little batshit crazy too... :D

boutons_deux
08-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Energy is cheap only because the total life-cycle costs and environmental/human impacts are not included by lying propagandists like Heritage.