PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite BBQ resturant in S.A.?

phyzik
08-12-2009, 01:35 AM
discuss.

IMHO NO ONE beats Rudy's turkey, I could literally live off of that shit. Ribs are debatable.

PM5K
08-12-2009, 03:13 AM
Cream Corn FTW....

baseline bum
08-12-2009, 03:45 AM
None. Go to Luling or Lockhart.

PM5K
08-12-2009, 03:52 AM
The shit in Lockhart ain't nothing special, especially not after driving an hour.

blizz
08-12-2009, 04:06 AM
The shit in Lockhart ain't nothing special, especially not after driving an hour.

Man up....an hour drive is nothing. There's nothing in town that beats the places in lockhart or luling. There are lots of publications and bbq aficionados that disagree with you.

SA210
08-12-2009, 04:08 AM
None. Go to Luling or Lockhart.

PM5K
08-12-2009, 04:09 AM
Man up....an hour drive is nothing. There's nothing in town that beats the places in lockhart or luling. There are lots of publications and bbq aficionados that disagree with you.

Been there and done that. Been to Kreuz, nothing special. (Maybe some of the other places are better but if you tell me Kreuz is better than anything in San Antonio I'm going to know you are full of shit)

blizz
08-12-2009, 04:20 AM
Been there and done that. Been to Kreuz, nothing special. (Maybe some of the other places are better but if you tell me Kreuz is better than anything in San Antonio I'm going to know you are full of shit)
It is and fuck you

baseline bum
08-12-2009, 04:36 AM
I was referring to City Market (Luling) and Smitty's (Lockhart). I've never tried Kreuz, but Smitty's brisket is incredible, as is City Market's (I think I like Smitty's a bit better though).
For sausage, City Market slaughters Smitty's and curbstomps anything in SA. For ribs City Market gets my vote, although Bob's Smokehouse (on Rigsby) used to be solid for ribs too. I haven't been in 10 years though and I know it's under new ownership, so I'm not sure how it stacks up now.

Sapphire
08-12-2009, 06:11 AM
Augie's, near the zoo. Pulled pork!

Bolner's Meat Market on S. Flores.

Bolner's meat looks kinda gross before you order, but don't let that fool you. Delicious. And their cream corn beats.

Twisted_Dawg
08-12-2009, 06:58 AM
Chew on this:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2008-06-01/feature10.php

tonylongoriafan
08-12-2009, 08:23 AM
bob's smokehouse on rigsby and roland, or whatever that corner is, if off the hook...i stop there for my spurs pre-game meal...the same owners have spot on fred rd just outside 410 that has burned like 3 times cause they smoke all night LOL

btw my turkey >>> rudy's turkey...ask batman
rudy's brisket = bill miller's brisket

CosmicCowboy
08-12-2009, 08:40 AM
My favorites in SA are:

#1) my house (also the favorite of my family and friends)

#2) The Smokehouse (corner of Roland and Rigsby)
#3) The Barbecue Station (410 @ Harry Wurzbach)

Rudy's isn't even on the map. it's overpriced and mediocre.

lebomb
08-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Harmons BBQ in Cibolo is pretty damn good.

Im gettin hungry!!!!

JoeChalupa
08-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Barbecue Station is pretty good. My mother-in-law goes to Luling all the time and brings us back some stuff everytime.

mrsmaalox
08-12-2009, 09:32 AM
I haven't had much bbq in San Antonio. But when Tom's Ribs at Stone Oak/1604 was open, I went there a couple of times and it was very good. I tried Rudy's in Boerne for the first time a few weeks ago and I didn't care for any of it; I don't mind spicy but it tasted like the only spice they use is black pepper. There's a little place on the main drag in Marble Falls that I frequently stop at that is excellent, but I don't recall the name.

rjv
08-12-2009, 09:34 AM
harmons in cibolo or the jamican jerk stand off st. mary's street

Soul_Patch
08-12-2009, 09:34 AM
My grandpa's house on the southside near pickwell park is the best BBQ in town...

rjv
08-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Barbecue Station is pretty good. My mother-in-law goes to Luling all the time and brings us back some stuff everytime.

yes sir. she must be going to city market. some of the best in these parts!!!

rjv
08-12-2009, 09:36 AM
My grandpa's house on the southside near pickwell park is the best BBQ in town...

does he have an online menu ?????

CosmicCowboy
08-12-2009, 10:00 AM
harmons in cibolo or the jamican jerk stand off st. mary's street

Where is the jamaican jerk stand? I want to try it for lunch. I made a big batch of that stuff last weekend...

tonylongoriafan
08-12-2009, 10:08 AM
i forgot about that place in hondo, mcbees! haven't been there in years...i think they changed ownership though

rjv
08-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Where is the jamaican jerk stand? I want to try it for lunch. I made a big batch of that stuff last weekend...

726 e mistletoe

it is called willard's jamaican jerk

JudynTX
08-12-2009, 10:35 AM
726 e mistletoe

Is it still open? :D

JoeChalupa
08-12-2009, 10:40 AM
yes sir. she must be going to city market. some of the best in these parts!!!

I've never gone with her I may tag along one of these weekends to check it out.

CosmicCowboy
08-12-2009, 10:44 AM
726 e mistletoe

Thanks! I'll try it.

Frenzy
08-12-2009, 10:45 AM
My dad will make bbq when ever we ask for it could,he loves to bbq. It could be like 4am in the morning and i'm like wow i'm craving ribs. He's be like "fire up the grill son"..i never had to go anywhere else.

ididnotnothat
08-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Has anyone tried Two Bros. BBQ Market?

Jimcs50
08-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Is there a Dickies in SA? The one here is fantastic.

lebomb
08-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Is there a Dickies in SA? The one here is fantastic.

Dickies = :vomit:

CosmicCowboy
08-12-2009, 12:36 PM
726 e mistletoe

???

I just drove over to check them out (My office/shop is downtown) and they were locked up tight at 12:30 on a weekday. That was kind of weird unless they are on vacation...the catering pit was there but locked up out front. No smoke from the main pit...

Viva Las Espuelas
08-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Dickies = :vomit:
yeah. dickey's sucks if it's the chain that's in dallas. their sweet tea even sucks which is a bad sign.

Sec24Row7
08-12-2009, 01:33 PM
BBQ station is good...

Best Sliced Beef Sandwich in the world is Cowpokes in Pearsall.

bus driver
08-12-2009, 01:36 PM
the mcribs from mcdonald's is better than rudy's

MsMcGillyCutty
08-12-2009, 01:40 PM
I like Harmon's.

rjv
08-12-2009, 01:40 PM
???

I just drove over to check them out (My office/shop is downtown) and they were locked up tight at 12:30 on a weekday. That was kind of weird unless they are on vacation...the catering pit was there but locked up out front. No smoke from the main pit...

that is interesting. he was always open before. one thing for sure is that he is a one man operation so i have always thought that if he ever gets sick or just decides to retire that the place will shut down. he is originally from h town. hard to say what happened today though. it has been several months since i have been there however. sorry to get you hankering for cue and then not have it pan out. i would have just swung over to augie's from there.

JudynTX
08-12-2009, 01:59 PM
yeah. dickey's sucks if it's the chain that's in dallas. their sweet tea even sucks which is a bad sign.

I like Dickey's. :( The potato salad is good. :lol

PuttPutt
08-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I like Harmon's.

I ate there for the 1st time back in May, when I was visiting my folks. It was pretty tasty. My only gripe was that they were out of a few things.

One of my favorites is Cooper's in Llano. Whenever I usually make the trip down from WA, I try to go there or make the drive to Smitty's or Black's. That's the main thing I miss about Texas. Going on a drive to eat bbq. I don't care how long the drive is....as long as I can eat me some good bbq.

remingtonbo2001
08-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Tom's Ribs off Naco back in the day was awesome!

Lackluster
08-12-2009, 02:50 PM

yup, it's pretty awesome. it's a chef that opened that place too. the guy from bin 555, the lodge, and one other restaurant (i think it's french?). so they've got some nice unique, fancier type bbq - like cherry glazed ribs and some interesting desserts..

definitely worth checking out imo

Das Texan
08-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Man come on Rudy's isnt that bad!

I like their corn....

:lol

that place in lampasas right at the 281/290 intersection is supposed to be good, but i've never eaten it. one of these days i might have to.

I need to head over to Lockhart, never had any of it.

as far as san antonio goes. bob's is the best. I dont care if Bob is dead and it doesnt have his name anymore. Its still and always will be Bob's :lol

TheTruth
08-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Rudy's is overrated.

Too be honest with you, the BBQ options in San Antonio are pretty pathetic.

City Market for the win!

JoeChalupa
08-13-2009, 09:19 AM
I may just hit Luling this weekend.

mrsmaalox
08-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Man come on Rudy's isnt that bad!

I like their corn....

:lol

that place in lampasas right at the 281/290 intersection is supposed to be good, but i've never eaten it. one of these days i might have to.

I need to head over to Lockhart, never had any of it.

as far as san antonio goes. bob's is the best. I dont care if Bob is dead and it doesnt have his name anymore. Its still and always will be Bob's :lol

I've been to the Lampasas place several times. The brisket is excellent, everything else is fair/good. I usually just pick up brisket on my way thru, but I get an extra pound because by the time I get to the lake it's pretty well picked over.

JoeChalupa
08-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Dang! They open up at 7am!! I'm getting there early because my MIL says the lines can get very long.

thispego
08-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Grady's mofos

My favorites in SA are:

and cosmic you think your barbleclaw is so good you and i are gonna have a throw down one day and i'll show you how to grill

CosmicCowboy
08-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Grady's mofos

and cosmic you think your barbleclaw is so good you and i are gonna have a throw down one day and i'll show you how to grill

keep dreamin

Dream Weaver
08-13-2009, 10:11 AM
keep dreamin

+1

thispego
08-13-2009, 10:46 AM
keep dreamin

well i dont have a 50000 dollar bbq trailer but if you let me borrow yours i might give you a run for your money

Big P
08-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I haven't had much bbq in San Antonio. But when Tom's Ribs at Stone Oak/1604 was open, I went there a couple of times and it was very good. I tried Rudy's in Boerne for the first time a few weeks ago and I didn't care for any of it; I don't mind spicy but it tasted like the only spice they use is black pepper. There's a little place on the main drag in Marble Falls that I frequently stop at that is excellent, but I don't recall the name.

:vomit:

SAGambler
08-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Buffalo's (or whatever it is called) right outside 1604 and Bandera. Same center as Home Depot.

Fairly new place, but the Baby Backs are to die for.

spursfan1000
08-13-2009, 01:32 PM
My kitchen...

Dro210
08-13-2009, 06:39 PM

yup, it's pretty awesome. it's a chef that opened that place too. the guy from bin 555, the lodge, and one other restaurant (i think it's french?). so they've got some nice unique, fancier type bbq - like cherry glazed ribs and some interesting desserts..

definitely worth checking out imo

that's what's up... been wanting to try this place out

CharlieMac
08-13-2009, 10:37 PM
My favorites in SA are:

I wouldn't say it's mediocre but it is overpriced.

BUT the Smokeshouse is by far the best for BBQ in the city. It's about two minutes from my work, so I should be dead pretty soon.

Fillmoe
08-13-2009, 10:45 PM
IMHO NO ONE beats Rudy's turkey.

super gay

marini martini
08-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Chisholm Trail Barbeque...................Lockhart

FTW!!!

Not to be outdone by their local neighbors, Chisholm Trail serves up a tasty meal. The restaurant packs in a daily crowd made up mostly of locals and it too, has made the Texas Monthly list of Texas' best barbecue restaurants.

Chisholm Trail Bar-BQ has a cafeteria style serving line and offers a large selection of salads and side dishes to go along with the sausage, brisket, ribs, turkey chicken and fajitas. They also have excellent fried catfish on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

Capt Bringdown
08-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Another vote for Rudy's smoked turkey. I don't live in SA anymore, but everytime I go back for a visit, I gotta have some of Rudy's turkey. The stuff is sublime.

Outside of SA, the best BBQ I've had was at Cooper's Old Time Pit BBQ in Llano.
Sam's in Austin gets a nod too.
Had some wonderful BBQ in Johnson City, too.
Kinda hard not to find great BBQ in Texas, isn't it?

tonylongoriafan
08-17-2009, 09:43 AM
was driving back from austin friday night, detoured to lockhart...fml...every place was closed by 9pm...got lost on the way back...had to eat potato chips and a big red

lebomb
08-17-2009, 12:21 PM
was driving back from austin friday night, detoured to lockhart...fml...every place was closed by 9pm...got lost on the way back...had to eat potato chips and a big red

:lol ..................... dayum that sucks. From dreaming of baby backs and brisket with all the trimmins.......to chips.

CosmicCowboy
08-17-2009, 01:23 PM
OK...went by Willards today...gotta say his ribs are pretty darn good. I was really surprised that for "Jamaican" BBQ he didn't even offer pulled pork...just the normal brisket, ribs, sausage, and chicken.

I think he cooks off site and the smoking bbq pit out front is just for atmosphere...the ribs were pretty heavy smoked...he claimed that he smokes his briskets for 48 hours and his ribs for 28...he must be cold smoking for part of the process. The BBQ I saw served (including mine) he pulled out of a cooler and sliced it and then nuked it to warm it up...I'm not saying that's bad because I will precook and warm too, but it was a little strange to see someone microwaving BBQ.

The only thing even remotely Jamaican about the Q was his sauce...he serves an oil/meat dripping based dipping sauce (not sugar based) that he has in mild medium and hot. Hot is definitely habanero hot.

DMX7
08-17-2009, 01:35 PM
I fucking love Rudy's BBQ

PM5K
08-17-2009, 01:43 PM
It is and fuck you

Ugh, they fucking suck.

First of all what's with the no barbecue sauce? If anyone makes meet so good that it's not necessary it certainly ain't them. I always use sauce, so for example when I make a steak on the grill the first four bites or so are without sauce, and the last four bites are without, everything in the middle is with.

God could come down and make barbecue and I'd still want to put sauce on it, it doesn't mean the meat isn't great, just that I like sauce.

Second, no sides. What the fuck man, everything I eat has a side, from a steak with potatoes, or maybe shrimp, to a hamburger with fries, or onion rings.

leemajors
08-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Ugh, they fucking suck.

First of all what's with the no barbecue sauce? If anyone makes meet so good that it's not necessary it certainly ain't them. I always use sauce, so for example when I make a steak on the grill the first four bites or so are without sauce, and the last four bites are without, everything in the middle is with.

God could come down and make barbecue and I'd still want to put sauce on it, it doesn't mean the meat isn't great, just that I like sauce.

Second, no sides. What the fuck man, everything I eat has a side, from a steak with potatoes, or maybe shrimp, to a hamburger with fries, or onion rings.

ribs at smitty's in lockhart are sublime. If you like sauce, stop in at City Market in Luling sometime. Best in the world imho. badass mustard based sauce. i buy it by the half gallon for $5

PM5K
08-17-2009, 02:08 PM
ribs at smitty's in lockhart are sublime. If you like sauce, stop in at City Market in Luling sometime. Best in the world imho. badass mustard based sauce. i buy it by the half gallon for $5

It's not that I'm in love with sauce or anything, I just like having the option, and don't care to eat at a place that thinks it's so great it doesn't need sauce or sides, especially when it isn't.