PDA

View Full Version : Battle Blog: Mohammed should not be on the playoff roster

Kori Ellis
04-09-2005, 05:45 AM
In the closest Battle Blog vote to date, Manny edged out Brodels. Literally I would ask for a judge to break the tie and then two judges would come in and vote opposite, then it would be tied again. Eventually the tie was broken and Manny came away with the victory.

Good job by both Bloggers.

Manny is God: Nazr Mohammed was placed in the unfortunate situation of being traded to the Spurs in one of the franchise’s most controversial trades. However, the love this city has for Malik Rose has not been cast as hatred for Nazr. No, he was given a clean slate upon which to develop.

For a few games Nazr impressed. He was tenacious on the offensive boards and finished a few thundering dunks that gave Spurs fans momentary thrills. Some went as far as to call for the benching of Nesterovic in favor of Mohammed.

It is safe to say no one is calling for Rasho to ride the pine anymore.

In the games that ensued, it became more and more apparent just how little Nazr grasped what the Spurs were trying to do at either end of the court. When teammates are not waving him into position, he is clogging the lane and ruining spacing. While Nazr remains one of the better offensive rebounders on the team, he simply fails to duplicate the same level of success on the defensive end and is often out of position there as well. The sad truth is that Mohammed has regressed as a Spur.

Defenders of Nazr will point to his limited amount of time within the Spurs system as a reason for his failures. I agree but I must also point out that with just a few weeks left before the playoffs, the chances of Nazr grasping the system this season are slim to none.

Brodels: Duncan is hurting. Rasho can be ineffective. Marks and Massenburg contribute little. With so many question marks in the frontcourt, the Spurs will need all the help they can get in the playoffs. Nazr hasn't excelled, but he's a better option than Marks and Massenburg and he should be on the playoff roster.

While Marks and Massenburg are more familiar with the system, they have serious shortcomings. Marks looks lost on the court and lacks aggressiveness on the defensive end and Massenburg doesn't have the physical skills to do anything but provide six fouls. Neither player has played many minutes and Marks has very little NBA experience.

The Spurs could face Shaq, Stoudamire, and Yao in the playoffs. An athletic backup capable of getting rebounds and putting a body on the opponent's big man is necessary in the postseason. The offense functions poorly when any of these three players are on the floor, but at least Nazr has the athleticism and experience to potentially make some big plays. He's done it before. Marks and Massenburg haven't.

In addition, Nazr can play big minutes if needed. With Duncan's health in question, the Spurs need someone to eat up minutes and clog the lane. Marks lacks the aggressiveness and experience. Massenburg lacks the physical ability and skills. Nazr is mobile enough to stay with Amare. He has experience guarding Shaq. Nazr has proven he can put up 10 and 8. Neither Marks nor Massenburg have done that even once.

Manny is God: Nazr brings one attribute to the table -- offensive rebounding. However, in every other aspect of the game he is completely lost and hurts the Spurs by being out of position and ruining the spacing on offense as well as defense.

Watching Marks shows he is quite possibly the most aggressive and energetic bigman the Spurs have on either end of the court. Also, he and Massenburg have the ability to hit shots outside of the lane.

Nazr can play big minutes only if he stays out of foul trouble, something he has consistently failed to do.

None of the options the Spurs are presented with for the post season are attractive, but Mohammed is a player whose harm outweighs his help while on the court. While Marks and Massenburg may only give limited contributions, both know how to work within the Spurs system and will not cause it to implode.

Brodels: Nazr is a better offensive rebounder. He's a better defender because he's more mobile than Massenburg and more athletic than Marks. Nazr shot over 50% from the field in New York. He's proven he can shoot the ball. Marks is a career 39% shooter and he's shooting 31% this season. Massenburg has only managed 41% to date.

Massenburg gets in foul trouble just like Nazr. And Massenburg doesn't have the range or athleticism to contribute offensively. Marks has played few meaningful NBA minutes. The offense stagnates when he's in the game and his inexperience makes him a bad choice for the playoff roster.

Each player has weaknesses. None of them look comfortable in the offense. Each will provide only a limited amount of help in the playoffs. But Nazr is the only one of the three with the experience and athleticism to potentially contribute on both ends of the court.

Rummpd
04-09-2005, 06:00 AM
Good job by both in arguements, although I definetely agree Nazr has to be on playoffs roster.

IMO based on professional experience and Pop's statements, D. Brown cannot be cleared yet, so this will almost assuredly be roster:

1) Some guy named Tim Duncan
2) Some tall Slovenian named Rasho
3) Junkyard Dog, Bowen
4) The hero of a nation and many more, Ginobli!!!
5) Eva's boyfriend even though they deny it, who will be dominating these playoffs, TP
6) Mr. Playoffs, Horry (this time it will be again!)
7) Suddenly "Barryable", the resurrected shooting saviant, Barry
8) The new Dog in town, Robinson
9) A smaller and more skilled (in many regards) Slovenian, Beno
10) Spurs always need an enforcer and veterans, Massenburg
11) You cannot leave off his potential to make the difference off the da*^ roster period, Nazr
12) Insurance if the above continues to struggle with a guy named Tim back, the down under wonder (at times). Mr. Marks

Off:

Sorry about it for you, Mr. Wilks
Never had a chance, LJIII
Heal up for an ongoing future, Mr. Brown, you will be missed.

MannyIsGod
04-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Props to Brodels; he would have won if Marks hadn't put up the huge game the other night while this was being looked at by the judges.

PM5K
04-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Two interesting points not mentioned or at least not emphasized enough.

Lost or not defensively, he is averaging over a block per game while playing less than half the minutes he was playing in New York.

Very simple, he's playing less minutes and becoming less productive:

First six games after coming back from his injury:

18.3 MPG 7.5 PPG 6.5 RPG

Next eight games:

12.5 MPG 3.6 PPG 3.3 RPG

Yes he's been a little foul prone, yes he isn't shooting nearly as well as he did in New York but these are Rasho's season numbers:

25 MPG 5.8 PPG 6.6 RPG

I'm not saying Rasho should be benched in Nazr's favor but I am saying he's a very capable backup and like most players in the NBA will show an increase in production as his minutes are increased and a decrease in production as they are decreased.

He definitely belongs on the playoff roster, it's not his fault Pop isn't playing him, maybe somehow it coincides with Tim being out?

MannyIsGod
04-09-2005, 11:56 AM
That is the problem with looking at bare stats, they don't tell you the entire picture. There is no stat for how many times Nazr has had to be waved into position. There are no stats to show when a big just shot over Nazr. There are no stats to show Nazr clogging the lane on offense.

Those are the reasons his minutes have gone done, and those aren't represnted by any stats.

ChumpDumper
04-09-2005, 12:03 PM
maybe somehow it coincides with Tim being out?Absolutely. But this doesn't look like it will fix itself this season. We can only see if Nazr plays better when Duncan comes back. Hopefully sooner than later.

baseline bum
04-09-2005, 01:45 PM
I'd vote to keep Nazr here. I'm going down with the ship on the trade. We already know Marks can't handle the job. Nazr hasn't shown anything to make me believe he can either, but the talent is there and thus there's always the chance he does something. Certain failure has to lose to a choice where worst case is the same as the other choice.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-09-2005, 02:31 PM
The great Malik had Tim and Dave covering his mistakes, and now some here who worship his overpaid ass are not willing to give Nazr the same benefit of who's got his back.

Typical for this site, I guess.

The few times Nazr has been afforded the opportunity to be on the court with Tim he has looked much better than anyone else we've put besides Tim after the retiring of #50, and yes that includes Malik (and Rasho).

slayermin
04-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Nazr should be on the playoff roster. I think he's a very good rebounder. And also, I don't want Rasho to relax. He needs someone to push him, even if it's just the threat of being pulled from the game.