PDA

View Full Version : IPhone Software Question

Thunder Dan
08-12-2009, 09:23 AM
I got my Iphone last summer, it's the original 3G. I've downloaded the new software and still can't send pictures in text messages. Is that software supposed to let me do that or is it only for the newer 3G versions?

Dex
08-12-2009, 09:58 AM
http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

According to the specifications for the 3.0 Software, it should update the MMS to allow for pictures-in-text, for both 3G and 3GS. However, it says here that AT&T won't be making this available until Late Summer, and I can't confirm that they've done so yet.

Thunder Dan
08-12-2009, 10:02 AM
http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

According to the specifications for the 3.0 Software, it should update the MMS to allow for pictures-in-text, for both 3G and 3GS. However, it says here that AT&T won't be making this available until Late Summer, and I can't confirm that they've done so yet.

alright cool

Xolotl
08-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Can you download apps on a PC and install them directly into the Iphone? And not by going through the Itunes store. Or, is that what jailbreaking lets you do?

Thunder Dan
08-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Can you download apps on a PC and install them directly into the Iphone? And not by going through the Itunes store. Or, is that what jailbreaking lets you do?

I don't know. I just plugged it into the computer and itunes asked me to download the new software. I did that and didn't notice any changes

Dex
08-12-2009, 11:20 AM

That's essentially what jailbreaking does. Among other things, it allows for SSH and SFTP connections to your iPhone/iPodT so that you can transfer files and install third party apps from a computer.

By default, everything must be installed through iTunes.

Xolotl
08-12-2009, 11:32 AM
That's essentially what jailbreaking does. Among other things, it allows for SSH and SFTP connections to your iPhone/iPodT so that you can transfer files and install third party apps from a computer.

By default, everything must be installed through iTunes.

So lets just say hypothetically I go to a torrent site...am I able to download and install apps that I get from there? I don't have an Iphone, I'm just curious about how it can be used.

Cry Havoc
08-12-2009, 12:21 PM
I got my Iphone last summer, it's the original 3G. I've downloaded the new software and still can't send pictures in text messages. Is that software supposed to let me do that or is it only for the newer 3G versions?

It's easy to send MMS even without a jailbroken iPhone:

http://www.messiphone.com/mobile-secret/send-mms-iphone.html

Heath Ledger
08-12-2009, 03:02 PM
I send MMS with the GVOICE APP.

Dex
08-12-2009, 04:53 PM
So lets just say hypothetically I go to a torrent site...am I able to download and install apps that I get from there? I don't have an Iphone, I'm just curious about how it can be used.

It's a bit tricky, but it can be done. You need to have a pretty solid knowledge of working with the iPhone software, as well as working with SFTP software and the likes. But there are tons of guides available on the Googles. It's been such a long while since I've done it, you'd probably be best off just searching for the latest ones.

But yeah, on my jailbroken iPodTouch I used to be able to torrent apps and then install them through iTunes. I did give it up eventually though because I noticed my iPod acting wonky.

PM5K
08-12-2009, 05:25 PM
But yeah, on my jailbroken iPodTouch I used to be able to torrent apps and then install them through iTunes. I did give it up eventually though because I noticed my iPod acting wonky.

It's easy as shit and not tricky at all. You jailbreak, go to Cydia and add the right repository then install the necessary software. After that you just sync through iTunes.

Dex
08-12-2009, 06:19 PM
It's easy as shit and not tricky at all. You jailbreak, go to Cydia and add the right repository then install the necessary software. After that you just sync through iTunes.

:lol That's 'easy as shit' for someone who's done it a few times, but try handing an iPhone to a new user and watching them figure out that shit. Most people don't even know where to start with jailbreaking.

Xolotl
08-12-2009, 07:07 PM
:lol That's 'easy as shit' for someone who's done it a few times, but try handing an iPhone to a new user and watching them figure out that shit. Most people don't even know where to start with jailbreaking.

Yeah exactly that is me. I understand computers and such so I don't think I'd have that much trouble. But, first time doing anything can be daunting. Thanks for the help D

Cry Havoc
08-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah exactly that is me. I understand computers and such so I don't think I'd have that much trouble. But, first time doing anything can be daunting. Thanks for the help D

Here you go, step by step:

http://www.quickpwn.com/2009/06/how-to-jailbreak-with-redsn0w.html

It is so incredibly easy with the latest jailbreak. It took about 8 minutes to complete. Awesome.

nkdlunch
08-13-2009, 12:35 PM
fuck ATT. you have unlimited internet but they still charge you per SMS.

:pctoss

Viva Las Espuelas
08-17-2009, 11:44 AM
I send MMS with the GVOICE APP.
did it take long for them to send you a joining email once you registered with them?

Viva Las Espuelas
08-17-2009, 11:45 AM
ok. i'm about to update my iphone with that new update. will my phone being jailbroken foul this up in any way when i do this update? should i do this update?

Heath Ledger
08-17-2009, 12:24 PM
ive found no reason to update to 3.1 or 3.0.1 im still on 3.0.

sometimes there is no need to update and sometimes updating via itunes to the latest version will fudge some things up but its all reverseable.

mrsmaalox
08-17-2009, 12:24 PM
ok. i'm about to update my iphone with that new update. will my phone being jailbroken foul this up in any way when i do this update? should i do this update?

What new update? Did they finally release the MMS update?

Heath Ledger
08-17-2009, 12:30 PM
NO>
but as someone posted you can still send mms from iphone without being charged. look a few posts up, its a tad bit more tedious but not if you save the email address for each contact.

like this

email: [email protected]

that link is not exact but there is a list of all the carriers in the link someone posted a few links up. basiclly you hit the share button on a photo and send it via email and it will come thru like an mms.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-17-2009, 12:39 PM
NO>
but as someone posted you can still send mms from iphone without being charged. look a few posts up, its a tad bit more tedious but not if you save the email address for each contact.

like this

email: [email protected]

that link is not exact but there is a list of all the carriers in the link someone posted a few links up. basiclly you hit the share button on a photo and send it via email and it will come thru like an mms.

i tried that and it didn't work for me. plus it's email. not mms. i shouldn't have to check my email to get a mms. i check emails in my email account.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-18-2009, 10:27 AM
i haven't checked it out but a friend of mine said that the purplera1n dude isn't going to make an update for the people that have recently updated their iphone with apple's iphone update. i don't know if he meant he wasn't going to rush to make a patch or he wasn't going to make the patch at all.

Man Sauce
08-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Hey guys I was wondering how do you all like your iphones? Do you get any dropped calls, problems with service ,are the calls clear, do you get charged more than what your plan is etc...etc...etc.... Me and my wife are considering dropping sprint for the iphone. Thanks

Viva Las Espuelas
10-04-2009, 11:23 PM
ok. i see that there's a crack for jailbreaking your 3gs phone to 3.1 now. the only thing is it's via redsn0w and ownage tool and blah blah blah.............i jailbroke mine with purplera1n and that dude doesn't feel like finding the crack, so how do i go about making the switch to redsn0w? do i just do a backup then restore my phone and then install redsn0w. i couldn't find a way to uninstall so i'm assuming a simple restore will do. i understand i'm loosing all jailbroken apps. i'll post this in 2 threads.

Heath Ledger
10-06-2009, 10:36 AM
You can just do the restore then use redsnow.

Sonia_TX
10-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Hey guys I was wondering how do you all like your iphones? Do you get any dropped calls, problems with service ,are the calls clear, do you get charged more than what your plan is etc...etc...etc.... Me and my wife are considering dropping sprint for the iphone. Thanks

I got my iPhone in January and will never get anything other than one. I love it and tell everybody in my family to get one. lol My stepsisters, their boyfriends and I all look like fools sitting in the same room playing with our iPhones. This past weekend I had to use my moms crappy Sony Walkman phone and I couldn't hear a thing. If someone within 10 feet of me said something I wasn't able to hear the person on the other line. It was bad. I think you should get one.

I just noticed you wrote that in August... you probably already made up your mind by now. Oh well. :)

Viva Las Espuelas
10-06-2009, 04:00 PM
You can just do the restore then use redsnow.
well that's the thing. if i do a restore then it says it'll restore to the current firmware. i'm assuming that would be 3.1. if i do that 3.1 has something that doesn't allow jailbreak. apparently i have to update to 3.01 or 3.1 with Pwnage Tool thru redsn0w. am i missing something? i tried updating to 3.0 but it says my phone was corrumpted. i'm thinking it's because of purplera1n. i'm kinda sorta confused about getting it up to speed. plus, it looks like the guy that made purplera1n might be releasing something soon. had an update after nearly 2 months of nothing. any info will be appreciated.