PDA

View Full Version : Big Lou's Pizza

tonylongoriafan
08-12-2009, 10:19 AM
best pizza in san antonio? discuss...

i didn't even know they had a brisket pizza!

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs181.snc1/6008_110405396361_553836361_2603512_5771996_n.jpg

rjv
08-12-2009, 10:19 AM
never had it. way out in the southeast side.

JoeChalupa
08-12-2009, 10:22 AM
I've been there and loved their pizza wraps.

bigzak25
08-12-2009, 10:23 AM
it's good shit man. i just get pepperoni and mushroom though.

two can split a 12" unless some one is really really hungry.

they do have this huge ass pizza that they bring out too, it must be a 50" pizza or something. a table of 8 ordered it and they had plenty of leftovers.

PaulGreco
08-12-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm A Goomba's Pizza Guy...It's as close to tasting like NY pizza here in SA

--PG

mrsmaalox
08-12-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm A Goomba's Pizza Guy...It's as close to tasting like NY pizza here in SA

--PG

No way!! Florio's is the the closest to NYC ;)

mexicanjunior
08-12-2009, 10:26 AM
I've been there, a group of 10 of us shared the biggest one and we had leftovers also...

http://www.randomdestination.com/members/mj/pics/pizza1.jpg

http://www.randomdestination.com/members/mj/pics/pizza2.jpg

bigzak25
08-12-2009, 10:28 AM
goomba's is not bad...you get one of those bad boys and take it back to the blanco tavern and have some texas tea's and call it a day.

now you made me think of waltra pasacreta...that hairy bastard was the radio pimp for that place...thanks alot.

JudynTX
08-12-2009, 10:29 AM
never had it. Way out in the southeast side.

+1

JoeChalupa
08-12-2009, 10:29 AM
I've heard good and bad about Goomba's and yeah, walter pimped the hell out of that place.

rjv
08-12-2009, 10:31 AM
goomba's is not bad...you get one of those bad boys and take it back to the blanco tavern and have some texas tea's and call it a day.

now you made me think of waltra pasacreta...that hairy bastard was the radio pimp for that place...thanks alot.

what ever happened to pasacreta anyway?

Dr. Gonzo
08-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Goomba's is alright. Rome's Pizza is the best I've had since living here.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-12-2009, 10:34 AM
big lou's brisket looked great when i saw it on man vs food. i don't know if i'd like it on pizza with all that bbq sauce. maybe on a regular tomato sauce and cheese pizza........

JudynTX
08-12-2009, 10:35 AM
big lou's brisket looked great when i saw it on man vs food. i don't know if i'd like it on pizza with all that bbq sauce. maybe on a regular tomato sauce and cheese pizza........

:nope bbq sauce should not be on a pizza.

bigzak25
08-12-2009, 10:36 AM
walter was in town in march and showed up at a 1250 broadcast remote for a bit.

otherwise, i don't know what the hell he's doing these days...

you can ask him yourself on his facebook...

http://www.facebook.com/people/Walter-Pasacrita/1229585120

Frenzy
08-12-2009, 10:37 AM

i had that like a few weeks ago. it was ok.. nothing special. maybe i ordered wrong...argh.

JoeChalupa
08-12-2009, 10:38 AM

+1 I used to go there all the time for lunch.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-12-2009, 10:41 AM
:nope bbq sauce should not be on a pizza.
that's what i said.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-12-2009, 10:42 AM
man, i remember Lucas Pizza in ingram park mall back in the day. back when aladdin's castle was next door.

JoeChalupa
08-12-2009, 10:42 AM
I thought the rule was that anything can go on a pizza?

mrsmaalox
08-12-2009, 10:47 AM
I've been there, a group of 10 of us shared the biggest one and we had leftovers also...

http://www.randomdestination.com/members/mj/pics/pizza2.jpg

Cute pic! That little guy is pretty much dwarfed by the cup too :lol

mrsmaalox
08-12-2009, 10:48 AM
I thought the rule was that anything can go on a pizza?

I believe so. I only like veggies on pizza. And only tomato sauce, none of that white stuff :nope

Viva Las Espuelas
08-12-2009, 10:54 AM
I believe so. I only like veggies on pizza. And only tomato sauce, none of that white stuff :nope
that's reserved for your chin

:wakeup

mrsmaalox
08-12-2009, 10:56 AM
that's reserved for your chin

:wakeup

:hungry:

Ditty
08-12-2009, 11:06 AM
my friends been there i thin that pizza is like 80 bucks

but its real good i heard

probably go there when i get paid this weekend

Das Texan
08-12-2009, 07:36 PM
big lou's is great.

I need to have some of that stuff again.

I went to Goomba's a few weeks back. Other than them 'forgetting' about my order, it was alright. Not amazing or anything like I had heard. Oh well.

Lackluster
08-12-2009, 07:42 PM
florio's, miss ellie's, volare, and dough are my favorites

need to make it out to big lou's

blizz
08-12-2009, 09:54 PM
goombas and big lou's are both good. rome's is horrible IMO

Sausage
08-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Never been to Big Lou's. My friend went there this past weekend and said there was a two hour wait. Must've been from the Man vs Food publicity. Luciano's Pizza is one of my favorite places for pizza. Boston's Pizza isn't bad either.

Man Sauce
08-13-2009, 10:08 AM
I was there last wednesday in the afternoon and the Texas Country Reporter was there and they were doing a segment on Big Lous. I did not come out this past Sunday so I am assuming it will air this weekend.

tonylongoriafan
08-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Never been to Big Lou's. My friend went there this past weekend and said there was a two hour wait. Must've been from the Man vs Food publicity. Luciano's Pizza is one of my favorite places for pizza. Boston's Pizza isn't bad either.

there are always a bunch of people in there on the weekends and the sitting areas are really small...i've waited for like an hour and a half one time but i think it's worth it...i've ordered it to go a few times

MosesGuthrie
08-13-2009, 10:27 AM
man, i remember Lucas Pizza in ingram park mall back in the day. back when aladdin's castle was next door.

Hell yes.

Dro210
08-13-2009, 06:34 PM
I love NY style pizza, and I don't think Goomba's is anything special at all... boarderline shitty.

Miss Ellie's and Naples are by far the best

Naples over Miss Ellie's

Definatly want to check out Big Lou's ever since I saw Man vs. Food.... Not feeling the comments about rude, shitty service and long ass lines tho

Sense
03-03-2012, 08:13 PM
I don't know if any of you "like" their page.. but this bothered me so much I had to kind of call him out on it..

"I want to thank you for the attack online, the internet is a double edge sword it gives people that would normally be to affraid to confront people face to face in person the power to attack from a distance. The last few months have been rather hard in this business I have seen customers come in and verbally abuse my staff to the point that some of them have quit, I have also had to add security gaurds on the weekend to help deal with out of control customers. I would have to say that after I added on I thought it would become easier but I just made things worse. People just don't seem to appreciate the work that goes into running a restaurant, it is easy to kick back and and pass judgement on things that you know nothing about. I was here last night to closing and thought we had really done a great job but now I see that it wasn't up to par. You say there were tables open but what you fail to realize is there are other parties preparing to sit down and we were getting them ready to be sat. My name is Brian I am not only one of the owners but I am also one of the cooks so I take alot of pride in what we do here. I have done the same thing here since I opened twelve years ago and I keep trying as hard as I can but like that old saying goes you can't please everyone but those that do appreciate us thank you very much and we will keep working hard to become better, every business has challenges and we are all just human I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt and try not to judge anyone because after all I haven't walked in everyone shoes, we should all be allowed to make some mistakes. I would like to say one last thing that the door swings both ways I just wish people nowadays would give you the respect of handleing things in person instead of running home to thier computers to make statements for all the world to see but I guess that would not be entertaining enough."

Sense
03-03-2012, 09:23 PM
:lol so this guy, who claims to be Brian Lujan, deletes my argument and "blocks" me..

Wow, this guy is something else.

Leetonidas
03-03-2012, 10:14 PM
What did you say to him to elicit such a butthurt response?

Sense
03-03-2012, 10:43 PM
What did you say to him to elicit such a butthurt response?

This wasn't me, I believe a lady said something a long the lines of "they are doing it for the money now" and he later says she was telling him he "sold out".. and he even said he took it personal, because he's "passionate" about the place. :lol

I've been looking at some of the people's complaints and some are just wow..

being asked to leave after being there for 60minutes.. shortly after they got their last order...

being given a plunger, after asking them to unclog a clogged toiler.. and then they say "can't you see we're busy".

The owner also lurks yelp and other review sites and insults the bad reviews.. :lol

lefty
03-04-2012, 12:52 AM
Fatties

jjktkk
03-04-2012, 01:30 AM

Sense
03-04-2012, 09:19 PM
who posts negative comments about restaurants online? how could you value your time so little? just don't go there again

Really?

Out of all the stupid shit posted on this board you're calling mine out? :lol

Ok.

baseline bum
03-04-2012, 09:41 PM
This wasn't me, I believe a lady said something a long the lines of "they are doing it for the money now" and he later says she was telling him he "sold out".. and he even said he took it personal, because he's "passionate" about the place. :lol

I can understand them getting ticked at that suggestion, though I would never condone the things you are alleging about insulting negative reviews and so on. I talked to one of the members of the family there one time and they said investors keep coming to them to try to get them to move to the northside plus franchise the place (and this was before they got really big from being on Man Vs Food). They were pretty adamant that they wanted no part of selling out the neighborhood nor the quality of their pizza. I have found the Lujans and all of their employees to be nothing but extremely friendly any time I have gone, and it's not like I'm a regular who goes once or twice a week and therefore might get special treatment.

shinerdrinker
03-05-2012, 01:34 AM

Ditto. But count me in for Windsor Park Mall when they were across the hall from both the movie theater and aladdin's castle!

BRHornet45
03-05-2012, 03:13 AM
heart attack in a box

bus driver
05-02-2012, 12:29 PM
had it for the second time a few weeks ago and it is worth the trip. not saying it is the best but worth a trip. The wings were good as well. the others had the bbq pizza and they said it was good. also the beer was cold.

chunticakes
05-02-2012, 01:39 PM
i went to goomba's one time on the way out of town. i figured it be a shitty pizza place but i was pleasantly surprised. im not from sa so what would you all consider to be the top tier pizza places?

Frank Dux
05-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Never understood what was so special about this place besides the novelty, humungous pizzas. I've been there a couple of times and always waited at least an hour to be seated. I always felt like the staff was pretty cold, not very concerned with customer service. The owner's response on FB does nothing to help that perception.

Agloco
05-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Dough tbh.

Never been to Big Lou's

Man Sauce
05-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Grimaldi's! Nuff said

The_Worlds_finest
05-02-2012, 08:02 PM
In san Antonio quality and taste< quantity. Big lous fucking blows, we waiting 45 mins for a xx large pizza. I found a massive hair in the crust. I'm trying hard to think of a pro. For me dough is tops, followed by my own home made stuff, and believe me I can make a quality pizza, infact if I can get an oven like dough, I could make something better.

SpursWoman
05-20-2012, 02:40 PM
We went today for my sister-in-law's birthday ... we waited in line maybe 10-15 minutes to place our order and be seated. We got our food in maybe 20 minutes or so.

I noticed signs everywhere that warned that you may have to wait a long time, so it's not like that should be a surprise or a complaint. It is what it is.

Our food was good, the prices were really good and our waiter was awesome ... very friendly and attentive.

And I didn't have to shop for it, cook it, or clean up after it ... so in that sense it was totally fabulous. lol

PublicOption
05-21-2012, 04:47 AM
Sorrento's on Broadway. Not even close.