PDA

View Full Version : Hornets Bench Weakend: Butler Traded to Clippers

sribb43
08-12-2009, 12:51 PM
As if the Hornets bench wasnt already paper thin....Hornets already worse now than last season bc Butler saved their ass with so many clutch shots

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/61101/20090812/clippers_get_rasual_butler_from_hornets/

The Hornets have traded Rasual Butler to the Clippers in exchange for a future second-round pick, according to sources.

The trade is expected to be officially announced on Wednesday afternoon.

Butler will earn $3.9 million in 2009-10, and the move will allow New Orleans to save close to $8 million when luxury tax implications are taken into account.

angelbelow
08-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Yikes, their bench is so fucking weak already.. Bryon Scott can't be happy about this.

DPG21920
08-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Let it play out. I find it strange they would take on Okafor, then proceed to suck. Unless they thought trading Okafor would be easier than Chandler, which I doubt.

BR'sBoyToy
08-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Yikesies!! my man wont be happy about this!

ClippersDynasty
08-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Another brilliant move by the Belichick of the NBA, Mike Dunleavy.

tomtom
08-12-2009, 01:30 PM
LoL Hornets :lol

djohn2oo8
08-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Another brilliant move by the Belichick of the NBA, Mike Dunleavy.

This is perhaps the most idiotic statement ever made on Spurstalk

ClippersDynasty
08-12-2009, 01:35 PM
This is perhaps the most idiotic statement ever made on Spurstalk

Just because your Trevor Ariza lead Rockets will not contend for years doesn't mean you have to take your anger out on the model franchise of the NBA.

Bruno
08-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Good trade for both teams. Hornets save $8M and still have enough depth at SG/SF. Clippers have added a quality player and I quite like their team.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them making the playoffs by beating Suns and Rockets for the 8th spot.

djohn2oo8
08-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Just because your Trevor Ariza lead Rockets will not contend for years doesn't mean you have to take your anger out on the model franchise of the NBA.

lol Mike Dunleavy

Hornets1
08-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Most of you are fucking clueless! Butler had one good season, and this move shed $8 million dollars. Getting Okafor for Chandler and Butler and saving $9 million in the process is fucking great!

DPG21920
08-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Yes, you saved money, but got rid of a reasonably priced bench player.

sribb43
08-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Most of you are fucking clueless! Butler had one good season, and this move shed $8 million dollars. Getting Okafor for Chandler and Butler and saving $9 million in the process is fucking great!

Even so without him you guys would have lost about 5-6 more games last season

Hornets1
08-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Even so without him you guys would have lost about 5-6 more games last season
No! 2 Games!! THATS IT! Sacramento and Miami late in the year. Posey played Butler's position late in games anyway.

Seems like Bruno is about the only person in here with a clue.

IF YOUR AN OWNER, WOULD YOU KEEP RASUAL BUTLER FOR $8 MILLION/YEAR IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO?

BR'sBoyToy
08-12-2009, 03:03 PM
No! 2 Games!! THATS IT! Sacramento and Miami late in the year. Posey played Butler's position late in games anyway.

Seems like Bruno is about the only person in here with a clue.

IF YOUR AN OWNER, WOULD YOU KEEP RASUAL BUTLER FOR $8 MILLION/YEAR IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO?

Exxxcuuusse you!!! Now come home to daddy, daddy likey!! Just like last week!! keep it on the low, cuz my man patrols these boards!! shhh!!

Hornets1
08-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Exxxcuuusse you!!! Now come home to daddy, daddy likey!! Just like last week!! keep it on the low, cuz my man patrols these boards!! shhh!!

Wow! Jazzypimp(much more likely) or troutbum, you need to relax. I understand your crush on BRHornet, but take it one step at a time. You don't want to scare your man away.

Funny how Mormons are known for being model citizens, yet all of the ones who frequent this site dedicate their posts to hating.

I'm sure Joseph Smith is very upset with all of you right now.

Hornets1
08-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Yes, you saved money, but got rid of a reasonably priced bench player.

$8Mill/Year is a reasonably priced bench player?

Is that you Cuban?

DPG21920
08-12-2009, 03:20 PM
$8Mill/Year is a reasonably priced bench player?

Is that you Cuban?

Is he making 8M per year? No. He is making a reasonable amount. Quality bench players making around 3.9M are standard rate.

The luxury tax has nothing to do with the fairness of his contract.

DPG21920
08-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Not to mention, I do not agree with Bruno that:

Devin Brown
Antonio Daniels
Marcus Thornton
Morris Peterson
Peja
Posey

Is good depth at the SG/SF spot. The SF spot is ok, but with Peja always hurt it is risky. The SG has a ton of ???

Hornets1
08-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Is he making 8M per year? No. He is making a reasonable amount. Quality bench players making around 3.9M are standard rate.

The luxury tax has nothing to do with the fairness of his contract.

Yea, it does when we save $7.8 million instead of $3.9 million. I'm sure Bower called every single team to try to dump mo-pete or AD instead, but their "plague-quality" contracts are hiddeous and Isiah isn't in the league anymore.
I agree that $3.9 million is a good price for Butler, but being in the LT makes everything change, esp. for the smallest market in the league.
This offseason has been a win in my book for us:
Added: Collison/Okafor/Thornton/Diogu
Lost: Chandler/Butler/Ely/Marks
Saved: $9 million

Hornets1
08-12-2009, 03:33 PM

Devin Brown
Antonio Daniels
Marcus Thornton
Morris Peterson
Peja
Posey

Is good depth at the SG/SF spot. The SF spot is ok, but with Peja always hurt it is risky. The SG has a ton of ???

No doubt. Posey is the only one sure-thing on that list. This will let us see what we have in Wright and Thornton though. They will get PT and a real chance to see what they got. Peja and Peterson will free $20 million in cap room after next year. Devin Brown can be a very solid player(SA fans know this).
He's got a knack for getting to the line when he wants to and is a good FT shooter, but he will most-likely be a non-factor next year. I agree that we let go one of our only good wingmen for salary purposes, but that will open doors for us as well.
The deal as a SINGULAR entity is far less that impressive, but you must judge the whole body of work, and not just one piece of it.

redzero
08-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Fuck year!

Great success!

Hopefully, Scott will actually use more players than just the starters now.

DPG21920
08-12-2009, 03:34 PM
It is not a terrible move, but it does not help them win. Bringing in Okafor and taking on that salary helps win; moving this player does not. Not a big deal overall, and should not effect them too much if guys stay healthy. I don't like moving one of only a few good contracts.

Seems like digging yourself a bigger hole.

Hornets1
08-12-2009, 03:38 PM
It is not a terrible move, but it does not help them win. Bringing in Okafor and taking on that salary helps win; moving this player does not. Not a big deal overall, and should not effect them too much if guys stay healthy. I don't like moving one of only a few good contracts.

Seems like digging yourself a bigger hole.

By gaining flexibility? Might hinder us this year. However, closing this door this year opens more in the future. I agree that Butler was one of our better contracts, but this wouldn't have happened if we weren't in the LT. I'm sure this is just a gateway to another move(At least I hope)

I really liked sual, and wish him nothing but the best in the future:toast

sribb43
08-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Whats so good about the Collison addition? That was the Hornets strongest position when they had weakness in other areas. Collison will be lucky to get 10 min a night and on top of that he is a rookie. Sure it gives CP3 more rest on the bench but the drop off from CP3 to Collison is huge. Collison and CP3 shouldnt play together, that would be the smallest backcourt in the league...

jazzypimp
08-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Wow! Jazzypimp(much more likely) or troutbum, you need to relax. I understand your crush on BRHornet, but take it one step at a time. You don't want to scare your man away.

Funny how Mormons are known for being model citizens, yet all of the ones who frequent this site dedicate their posts to hating.

I'm sure Joseph Smith is very upset with all of you right now.

How bout you shut the fuck up!! That is not me you stupid bitch! I have 1 BR troll and I dont know who the fuck this is but dont blame me dipshit!! I am not mormon and I do not claim to be a model citizen! Shut the fuck up unless you know what the hell you're talking about!

BR'sBoyToy
08-12-2009, 03:57 PM
ok hornet was right I am jazzypimp!! You got me hornet! I just need me some BR love!

jazzypimp
08-12-2009, 03:58 PM
ok hornet was right I am jazzypimp!! You got me hornet! I just need me some BR love!

Oh god>
LOL fuck you! Dumbass.

Hornets1
08-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Whats so good about the Collison addition? That was the Hornets strongest position when they had weakness in other areas. Collison will be lucky to get 10 min a night and on top of that he is a rookie. Sure it gives CP3 more rest on the bench but the drop off from CP3 to Collison is huge. Collison and CP3 shouldnt play together, that would be the smallest backcourt in the league...

They prolly won't play together, however Paul can't play 40 mins/night. Collison can run an offense, which is why we were so high on him, and he played really well in Summer League(doesn't mean much, but he was IN CONTROL of our offense). I'm not too worried. We will make the playoffs, and have a solid year. I'm not expecting a Championship or anything. Yeah, we don't have much depth, but we still challenge SA and LA everytime we meet., not to mention we still OWN the Mavs. We have gotten a little deeper this offseason, which is impressive considering what our situation was as of June 1st.

jazzypimp
08-12-2009, 04:04 PM
They prolly won't play together, however Paul can't play 40 mins/night. Collison can run an offense, which is why we were so high on him, and he played really well in Summer League(doesn't mean much, but he was IN CONTROL of our offense). I'm not too worried. We will make the playoffs, and have a solid year. I'm not expecting a Championship or anything. Yeah, we don't have much depth, but we still challenge SA and LA everytime we meet., not to mention we still OWN the Mavs. We have gotten a little deeper this offseason, which is impressive considering what our situation was as of June 1st.

Do you guys own the jazz too?? LOL :lmao

DPG21920
08-12-2009, 04:07 PM
I was referring more to the business side. When you get a bunch of bad assets, you don't get rid of the good ones to dig yourself out of a hole...

Now, I understand this is the NBA and the bad contracts might lead to having to get rid of the Butler's to bail yourself out, but it is a compounded problem all stemming from the poor contracts.

Hornets1
08-12-2009, 04:07 PM
How bout you shut the fuck up!! That is not me you stupid bitch! I have 1 BR troll and I dont know who the fuck this is but dont blame me dipshit!! I am not mormon and I do not claim to be a model citizen! Shut the fuck up unless you know what the hell you're talking about!

Admitting you have a troll of someone, then blaming me for calling out the wrong one? You need a little perspective.(YOUR PERSPECTIVE: YES I HAVE A BRHORNET TROLL, BUT DON'T BLAME ME WHEN ANOTHER ONE COMES ALONG. IT COULDN'T BE ME. MY PERSPECTIVE: YOU DID IT ONCE, WHY NOT AGAIN?) SORRY FOR THE MISUNDERSTANDING, TRULY. IF WE WOULD SWITCH PLACES, YOU WOULD HAVE BLAMED YOU FOR THE TROLL AS WELL.

Didn't know others had such a crush on BR like you do.

You, truly, are an internet tough guy:lol

Didn't know non-mormons rooted for the Jazz. Utah and it's people might as well be their own "cuntry"

Hornets1
08-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Do you guys own the jazz too?? LOL :lmao

Doesn't really matter, we both played 5 playoff games last year. W

What your next brilliant arguement, that D-Will beat CP3 in a ST poll?

Hornets1
08-12-2009, 04:11 PM
I was referring more to the business side. When you get a bunch of bad assets, you don't get rid of the good ones to dig yourself out of a hole...

Now, I understand this is the NBA and the bad contracts might lead to having to get rid of the Butler's to bail yourself out, but it is a compounded problem all stemming from the poor contracts.

I agree, but we have't added any bad contracts. After next year, they will(hopefully), all be gone. For the 2011-2012 season, only Paul, West, Posey, Okafor, and Collison will be on contract. That Peja signing was among the worst in history IMO.

jazzypimp
08-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Admitting you have a troll of someone, then blaming me for calling out the wrong one? You need a little perspective.(YOUR PERSPECTIVE: YES I HAVE A BRHORNET TROLL, BUT DON'T BLAME ME WHEN ANOTHER ONE COMES ALONG. IT COULDN'T BE ME. MY PERSPECTIVE: YOU DID IT ONCE, WHY NOT AGAIN?) SORRY FOR THE MISUNDERSTANDING, TRULY. IF WE WOULD SWITCH PLACES, YOU WOULD HAVE BLAMED YOU FOR THE TROLL AS WELL.

Didn't know others had such a crush on BR like you do.

You, truly, are an internet tough guy:lol

Didn't know non-mormons rooted for the Jazz. Utah and it's people might as well be their own "cuntry"

I am sorry you suck BR's dick so hard... I am actually cool with BR... we fight like bitches but at least he's funny until he goes with the "Oh, utah, you must be mormon" frame of stereotyping. They must build you kind of people down there in new orleans, seems like all you uneducated close minded fuckers come from there. Kind of ironic calling someone an internet tough guy, right buddy! Better than being the internet pussy I guess! But hey, if you like gettin pounded then thats alright I guess!

jazzypimp
08-12-2009, 04:17 PM

WTF does playing 5 playoff games matter. You were the one stating you owned the mavs. I am saying we own you! No one is talking about the playoffs, you sure as hell weren't or you wouldn't have made such a brilliant statement as we owned the mavs. Dumbshit!

jayman2582
08-12-2009, 04:36 PM

This is really a dumb statement based on what you said earlier. Contradicts your own statement if you ask me.

P.s. It was a stupid rigged ST poll. Let the sour grapes go, it will feel much better.

Hornets1
08-12-2009, 04:48 PM
I am sorry you suck BR's dick so hard... I am actually cool with BR... we fight like bitches but at least he's funny until he goes with the "Oh, utah, you must be mormon" frame of stereotyping. They must build you kind of people down there in new orleans, seems like all you uneducated close minded fuckers come from there. Kind of ironic calling someone an internet tough guy, right buddy! Better than being the internet pussy I guess! But hey, if you like gettin pounded then thats alright I guess!

Having a Mavs fan talk about all of our problems when they can't even beat us is whats rediculous. Yeah, I'm going to take up for my team.

I agree that the Jazz own us, which is why I never criticize their FO. How am I on BR's dick, your the one with a troll, and I don't even know the guy. lets not forget you sig dedicated to him.

BTW, I don't know a single uneducated person where I go to school in Nola.

jazzypimp
08-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Having a Mavs fan talk about all of our problems when they can't even beat us is whats rediculous. Yeah, I'm going to take up for my team.

I agree that the Jazz own us, which is why I never criticize their FO. How am I on BR's dick, your the one with a troll, and I don't even know the guy. lets not forget you sig dedicated to him.

BTW, I don't know a single uneducated person where I go to school in Nola.

Alright maybe I just misunderstood some of the earlier quotes. I don't mean to get in a spitting match with you but if you knew BR and racist shit he talked b4 you would know why I put him on my sig for a time (which I took off cuz he is actually a funny fucker sometimes). All is good.
*shake hands* -> just let it be known I am not the gay troll:lol

Hornets1
08-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Alright maybe I just misunderstood some of the earlier quotes. I don't mean to get in a spitting match with you but if you knew BR and racist shit he talked b4 you would know why I put him on my sig for a time (which I took off cuz he is actually a funny fucker sometimes). All is good.
*shake hands* -> just let it be known I am not the gay troll:lol

Word:toast
Sorry bout the Mormon bullshit. We we going at each other for no reason. You hated BR and his racism and associated them with me, and I hated troutbum and his racism and associated them with all jazz fans.

JJ Hickson
08-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Sorry bout the Mormon bullshit. We we going at each other for no reason. You hated BR and his racism and associated them with me, and I hated troutbum and his racism and associated them with all jazz fans.

Lets hug it out bitch.

jazzypimp
08-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Lets hug it out bitch.
:lmao:lmao:lmao
I can't tell if this is a troll

BRHornet45
08-12-2009, 05:20 PM
sons we will be fine. he was only starting because Peterson was hurt most of the year ... Thornton will easily replace Butler.

jazzypimp
08-12-2009, 05:22 PM
sons we will be fine. he was only starting because Peterson was hurt most of the year ... Thornton will easily replace Butler.

Who's gonna replace peja when he goes down for half of the year?

Rodriguez
08-12-2009, 05:23 PM
How much will Peja muthafukin Stojakovic get paid for the next 2 years?

BRHornet45
08-12-2009, 05:24 PM
You hated BR and his racism and associated them with me,

son this is simply not true. I only hate white people from Utah. they are creeeeepppyyyyy

BRHornet45
08-12-2009, 05:25 PM
How much will Peja muthafukin Stojakovic get paid for the next 2 years?

son not enough! I think we should renegotiate his contract for 5 years, $75Million

Bob Lanier
08-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Casual
Rasual
Casual
Rasual

Casual
Rasual

Casual
Rasual

Casual
Rasual

Casual
Rasual

Casual
Rasual

Casual
Rasual

Rodriguez
08-12-2009, 05:30 PM
son this is simply not true. I only hate white people from Utah. they are creeeeepppyyyyy
Son don't you hate Barack Hussein Osama? Your fatness has definitely caused some health problems with you and made health care a pivotal part in your life, so I guess you hate Barack muthafukin Hussein no matter if you're insured or not.

BRHornet45
08-12-2009, 05:33 PM

son Julian Wright and Posey will still be there. did you forget about them? ... who knows if the Hornets are done yet with trading/signing anyways. No we aren't "strong" at the SF position, but we aren't weak there either.

Butler hit some clutch shots for us in 2 games last season that were big, but other than that he was very below average. The only reason he was getting playing time was because of Peterson being injured. Butler won't put up anymore than 10-12 points per game as a full time starter. not a loss

BRHornet45
08-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Son don't you hate Barack Hussein Osama? Your fatness has definitely caused some health problems with you and made health care a pivotal part in your life, so I guess you hate Barack muthafukin Hussein no matter if you're insured or not.

son I am a zebra and not a fat one either. I do not hate Hussein, I just don't like politicians :)

Hornets1
08-12-2009, 05:38 PM

Peja's healthy:lol

jazzypimp
08-12-2009, 05:42 PM

BR..were you molested as a child?? I think if your a man white people shouldn't scare you period!! You're half black dammit! man up! pick up your balls from off the ground and try talking to a white person from utah. They can actually be quite friendly when not running away from them like a scared little dog!

You say zebra, I say skunk... I can smell that shit your talkin!!:hat

weebo
08-12-2009, 05:45 PM
This is a good money saving strategy. Trading a redundant player like RB and saving cash in the process for the Summer of 2k10 when Lebron, Dwade, and CBosh can team up with CP3 the flop machine for a 10 year dynasty.

BRHornet45
08-12-2009, 05:46 PM
BR..were you molested as a child?? I think if your a man white people shouldn't scare you period!! You're half black dammit! man up! pick up your balls from off the ground and try talking to a white person from utah. They can actually be quite friendly when not running away from them like a scared little dog!

You say zebra, I say skunk... I can smell that shit your talkin!!:hat

son maybe you could take me to a tabernacle where the Mormons gather in Utah so I can get over this fear??? what kind of robe will I need to bring?

weebo
08-12-2009, 05:47 PM
son maybe you could take me to a tabernacle where the Mormons gather in Utah so I can get over this fear??? what kind of robe will I need to bring?

A white one...preferably one with a matching hood.

BRHornet45
08-12-2009, 05:49 PM
This is a good money saving strategy. Trading a redundant player like RB and saving cash in the process for the Summer of 2k10 when Lebron, Dwade, and CBosh can team up with CP3 the flop machine for a 10 year dynasty.

Chris Bosh :)

jazzypimp
08-12-2009, 06:34 PM

preferably one that hides your 13 yr old acne ridden face!!

spursfan1000
08-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Sucks for Chris Paul and the Hornets hopes of doing better next season, I don't like the moves the Hornets have done this season with Chandler-Butler.

BRHornet45
08-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Sucks for Chris Paul and the Hornets hopes of doing better next season, I don't like the moves the Hornets have done this season with Chandler-Butler.

son I was one of the biggest Chandler supporters around. I defended him whenever MOST Hornets fans wanted him traded ... HOWEVER, go look at Okafor's numbers compared to Chandler's ...

Okafor has easily averaged a double, double every year that he has been in the NBA (5 years). Chandler has only done that one year out of his 8 years in the league. I think that the trade was for the best and we improved with it. I am willing to bet that once Okafor is on the floor with CP3, his numbers will improve even more. I'm predicting 17 and 11 next season :)

kobyz
08-13-2009, 03:00 AM

Devin Brown
Antonio Daniels
Marcus Thornton
Morris Peterson
Peja
Posey

man! you forgot Julian Wright who is gonna to be the starting SF this season according to Byron Scott.

mountainballer
08-13-2009, 04:42 AM

Okafor for Chandler was a great move and should make the Hornets better.
getting rid of Butler for a TE is a good move to save some money.
but you can't claim that dumping Butler makes the Hornets a better team, as long as they don't add a helpful piece for this money.
(they won't, considering George Shinn's financial situation).
AD, MoPete and Peja are aging and declining rapidly (or they are hurt anyhow), Posey also reaches the critical age for athletic wings this season, so the loss of a decent and reliable wing, who is still in his prime, will likely hurt the Hornets much more than you dare to admit right now. the Hornets fans will regret this move at some point during the next season.

sribb43
08-26-2009, 07:50 AM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/61301/20090826/paul_hurting_in_wake_of_butler_trade/

Paul 'Hurting' In Wake Of Butler Trade
Chris Paul shared a unique relationship with former teammate Rasual Butler.

The Hornets dealt Butler to the Clippers earlier this month.

"Oh, man, to tell you the truth, that hurt me," Paul told the Times-Picayune of the trade. "Rasual is my guy, somebody I'm really close to. Him and David West were the only two guys who've been on my team every year since I've been a rookie. But that kind of caught me off guard and hit close to home. He was my guy."

Regardless, Paul is looking forward to the upcoming season.

"It can't come soon enough, to tell you the truth," Paul added. "When you lose that last game, this is what you prepare for. One of my favorite quotes is about, 'You can never go somewhere you've never been without doing something you've never done.'

"What I've been doing the past four years hasn't been working, so that means I've got to work a little bit harder."

Chieflion
08-26-2009, 08:05 AM
What are you smoking? The Hornets will still be over the cap next year.

2010-2011 salary
Chris Paul: $14,940,152
Peja Stojakovic: $15,336,000 (Fail contract)
Emeka Okafor: $11,540,375
David West: $8,287,500
Morris Peterson: $6,641,440 (What? He still plays)
James Posey: $6,478,600 (Overpaid, old "clutch" guy)
Darren Collison: $1,361,040
Marcus Thornton: $762,195

Total: $65,347,302

Soft cap next offseason is definitely lesser than 57 million. Obviously, the Hornets are in cap hell. This total is without Hilton Armstrong's qualifying offer and Julian Wright's team option. How in the world are the Hornets going to avoid the luxury tax is more of a question next season.