PDA

View Full Version : Allen Iverson's career high 16 assists...

ALVAREZ6
04-09-2005, 08:02 AM
...who said he couldn't play point guard? AI shot terrible and had a lot of turnovers, but he had 16 assists and 5 steals.

Dalembert had a great game.

Sixers won vs. the Cavs, which ties Cleveland and Philly for the 7th spot in the East.

Webber didn't play.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Iverson Leads the 76ers Over Cleveland
Box Score | 76ers Home | Cavaliers Home

PHILADELPHIA, April 8 (Ticker) -- Allen Iverson had trouble with his jump shot all night, but not with the game on the line.

Iverson made just 9-of-30 shots but nailed a clutch jumper with 8.5 seconds left as the Philadelphia 76ers tied the Cleveland Cavaliers for seventh place in the Eastern Conference with a 103-98 victory. NBA TV highlights from
Cavaliers-76ers: 300k

"As soon as it left my hand, I knew that it was good," Iverson said. "Just having the time that I had, I made sure that I let go the right way. Even with my hand hurting the way it was, I tried to let it go and not think about the pain. I was able to hit the shot."

Already suffering from a chip fracture in his left thumb, Iverson had to nail the win despite playing with sprains of both his left and right thumbs.

"I broke it the pervious game (against Charlotte on Wednesday), and tonight, I got hit on the same one," Iverson said. "Later in the game, I got hit on my right one. I was trying to smack the ball away from Eric Snow. He was trying to throw a long pass and both our hands smacked together."

Iverson, who scored 23 points, had a career-high 16 assists, frequently feeding Marc Jacksonand Samuel Dalembert inside.

"I was just trying to take what the defense gave me," Iverson said. "When the double-team came, I was just trying to get the ball to the open man. My teammates did all the work. They hit all the shots."

"Every superlative I could ever say, I think that I've said it already," Sixers coach Jim O'Brien said of Iverson. "I think that it shows an unbelievable amount of savvy. There's more ways to beat a team other than scoring."

Taking advantage of the absence of Cavaliers All-Star center Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Jackson scored 24 points and Dalembert contributed 23 and 16 rebounds for the 76ers (38-37), who outscored the Cavaliers in the paint, 60-38.

"Sammy had a tremendous game, and as a team, we had a great game as a unit," Jackson said. "We just played together well. It was very beneficial in helping the team to the victory."

Ilgauskas was out for a second straight game with a dislocated right ring finger.

"Watching the tape of our last game against them, 'Z' was a presence inside," interim Cavaliers coach Brendan Malone said. "We got hurt inside and we're already thin inside as it is."

Philadelphia held a 99-88 lead after a jumper by Jackson with 2:19 left, but Cleveland stormed back, pulling within 100-98 when Jeff McInnis stole an inbounds pass, was fouled and sank two free throws with 30 seconds left.

The Sixers worked the clock down and Iverson nailed a jumper over McInnis from about three feet beyond the foul line for a four-point cushion. After an errant pass by LeBron James, Kyle Korversplit a pair of free throws with 2.9 seconds remaining to cap the scoring.

"We were going to run a pick-and-roll," Iverson said. "I told Coach that I didn't want to run that play. He agreed with me and I waived everybody out on the baseline. I gave a hard jab-step. (McInnis) backpedaled and I just got a clean look, and I just concentrated on the shot."

James produced 37 points, 13 rebounds and seven assists and Drew Gooden added 24 points for the struggling Cavaliers (38-37), who have lost 16 of their last 23 games.

"We got more games to come," James said. "We're one game over .500 right now. If we want to get to the postseason, it's up to us."

Supreme Allah
04-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Iverson really is taking his game to a completely different level this year. The guy cleaned up his act and is being an amazing teammate this year. He has turned into one of my most hated NBA Players to one of my favorites.

IX_Equilibrium
04-11-2005, 07:59 AM
He will never be one of my favorites