PDA

View Full Version : New plays for new players

Solid D
08-12-2009, 04:21 PM
This next season offers an opportunity for Gregg Popovich and his staff to grow as coaches. With new players come new capabilities. This is an opportunity for Pop to design some offensive plays for guys who can slash and deliver the goods, with the likes of Jefferson and Haislip, maybe even Mahinmi or Hairston.

Example: Phoenix Suns have an early offense play with Amare trailing while Nash draws three players along the baseline. Nash then pitches out to Stoudamire for the get-outa-my-way flush, right down the middle.

The Bonners, Thomas', Obertos, Finleys, Masons and Bowens of the world were unqualified for this type of attack. Horry almost tore his arm off trying it in Detroit. Duncan these days...well, only on a good day.

This is an opportunity for Pop to use Jefferson's ability to take the ball at the top of the key and create, like he's done with the Nets and Bucks. A play that Finley, Mason and Bowen could never think about executing well.

Now is the opportunity for the Spurs' staff to create a new wave of attack out of the pick and roll. Something beyond 3 guys standing still waiting to shoot 3s.

Give us 2-in, 3-out motion. Give us more 1-4 Continuity offense with good screening and back-doors. You've got the players, now.

Defensively, use your system, it's fine....but offensively, why not use this time to expand your horizons. Adapt and prosper.

What say ye, oh women and men of Spur?

Solid D
08-12-2009, 04:33 PM
http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie-gallery/albums/userpics//AMH18.jpeg

It's time to exorcise the demons.

Bender
08-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Something beyond 3 guys standing still waiting to shoot 3s.we're all tired of that, so I hope you are right...

when does practice start for the upcoming season?

this time the oldsters in the spurs system will have to learn new plays, just like the young'uns

Mark in Austin
08-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Macdonald article on new offesive wrinkles the new roster makes possible in 5, 4, 3, 2...

thispego
08-12-2009, 05:19 PM
only solid d can start threads from now on

Rogue
08-12-2009, 05:52 PM
The Spurs will continue their lento rhythm on both ends of floor in the next season, and seasons to come until Duncan retires. I mean the Spurs team has been what they are since Duncan got drafted to San Antonio, and no big change merged in the playing style of Spurs team despite the numerous moves of rosters.

benefactor
08-12-2009, 06:01 PM
I've been wanting to see this for a long time...but as you said, we just have not had the players to execute it. Now that we do, there is really no excuse for going with the same old same. I would even venture to say that it will be necessary if we plan to be serious title contenders, because we are still at a disadvantage in straight matchups with the Lakers.

Why would you just eat the soft serve when you had all the ingredients to make a Chocolate Extreme Blizzard? :)

phxspurfan
08-12-2009, 07:26 PM
For TD, we can run Double Pitts-To Chesty.

Solid D
08-13-2009, 05:18 PM
rxWwoyGOAIE

new plays for new playahs...

DPG21920
08-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Someone touched on this months ago; about how the offense is slowly becoming geared more for TP than Duncan. Should be an interesting shift.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Pop gets knocked a lot for his being stubborn, but he really tries to play to his players' strengths. The offense changed alot once Manu and Tony became integral parts of it. I would expect to see the offense morph once again with RJ and McDyess (and Blair hopefully) in the mix.

It should be fun.

DPG21920
08-13-2009, 05:24 PM
The good news is, even adding some more running/movement to the offense, you can always go back to spacing and dumping the ball to Tim if things go wrong.

spursfan1000
08-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Hope we get a play for Richard Jefferson to attack the rim, or shoot a open 3.