PDA

View Full Version : Arenas Progressing; Oberto Is Wizards’ Last Piece

duncan228
08-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Arenas progressing; Oberto is Wizards’ last piece (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-wizards-arenas&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Howard Fendrich

According to new Washington Wizards coach Flip Saunders, Gilbert Arenas looks good in the weight room and on a basketball court.

And that’s good news for the Wizards. Because for all of Washington’s offseason changes—center-forward Fabricio Oberto, introduced at a news conference Wednesday, should be the final addition—whatever turnaround will be made from last season’s 19-win disaster figures to hinge on Arenas’ health and production.

“There’s no question, a player of his talent, when he’s playing, he puts us from a team that’s competing for the playoffs to a team that’s an elite team in the playoffs. When you walk in the gym right now, you wouldn’t think that he’s hurt,” Saunders said. “If he’s at that ability when our season starts, we’re going to be an elite team in this league.”

Coming off three knee operations in 1 1/2 years, Arenas played in only two games late last season.

But Saunders traveled to Chicago last week and watched Arenas lift weights and play.

“He gets to wherever he wants to get on the court. His quickness is back,” the coach said. “He’s getting his scoring touch back, and he’s getting his confidence back. He’s excited about where he’s at. He looks good. His weight is lower than it’s been in the last few years. … He feels he’s got some things to prove.”

Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld saw Arenas work out at Washington’s arena Monday and said the three-time All-Star “was making shots, too. He was getting to the basket.”

After making the playoffs four consecutive seasons, Washington took a step back in 2008-09, when starters Arenas, center Brendan Haywood (appeared in six games) and guard DeShawn Stevenson (32 games) all missed significant time.

While leaving his core intact—the above trio and All-Stars Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler are still around—Grunfeld brought in scoring guards Mike Miller and Randy Foye, along with frontcourt backup Oberto. Washington traded away the No. 5 overall pick in June’s draft and reserve forwards Etan Thomas, Darius Songaila and Oleksiy Pecherov and let guard Juan Dixon go as a free agent.

The club probably will bring in an extra two or three players for training camp, Grunfeld said, but he added that the 14 players now under contract “in all likelihood” will be Washington’s roster when the season begins.

“We feel we’re a very versatile team. We have two or three players, at least, at every position,” Grunfeld said. “We have a good blend of veteran players, young enthusiastic players, players that are in their prime who can carry you on a daily basis.”

The 6-foot-10, 245-pound Oberto provides some frontcourt depth, defensive ability, toughness and experience. He averaged 3.6 points and 3.9 rebounds in four seasons with San Antonio. The Spurs traded Oberto to Detroit this summer as part of a five-player deal; the Pistons then waived Oberto.

Oberto helped the Spurs win the 2007 NBA title and Argentina win a gold medal at the 2004 Olympics.

“I like to see what is missing with the team and help that part,” he said. “If I’ve got to play ‘D’ and not take a shot for 10 games, I’ll do it.”

Oberto, who is 34, had surgery this year aimed at correcting an irregular heartbeat.

“He’s doing very well. He had his physicals this week; he passed everything,” Grunfeld said. “We spoke to his doctors in Texas, and they feel very good about everything.”

jacobdrj
08-12-2009, 06:13 PM
1st. Round. Exit.
:rollin

benefactor
08-12-2009, 06:23 PM
lol 111 million.

JJ Hickson
08-12-2009, 06:34 PM
1st. Round. Exit.

This thread isn't about the Spurs.

MavDynasty
08-12-2009, 06:42 PM
lmao

The Franchise
08-12-2009, 07:05 PM
1st. Round. Exit.

You're being to generous. The east has improved since the last time they were in the playoffs.

spursfan1000
08-12-2009, 07:41 PM
If arenas returns back to 100% that he was 2 years ago, there is no doubt that the Wizards will be a contender, Orberto wont really do anything.

Bob Lanier
08-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Arenas is a good-looking man.

DJB
08-12-2009, 09:57 PM
This thread isn't about the Spurs.

Little butt hurt over getting your ass handed to you 4-0 in 2007 and never making it back to the Finals since?? Awww.

eyeh8u
08-12-2009, 10:23 PM
lol 111 million.
+1

j-money24
08-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Little butt hurt over getting your ass handed to you 4-0 in 2007 and never making it back to the Finals since?? Awww.

Just like when the Mavs curbstomped on you guys in the first round in the playoffs.

angelbelow
08-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Potential fantasy sleeper

mavs>spurs2
08-12-2009, 11:38 PM
Since when is Oberto a missing piece :lmao

manu_maniac
08-13-2009, 01:25 AM
The east has improved since the last time they were in the playoffs.

So have the Wizards. You don't think they can beat out the Pistons?

duncan228
08-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Flip on Gilbert, Wizards, Summer Mingling (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2009/08/flip_on_gilbert_wizards_summer.html?wprss=wizardsi nsider)
Michael Lee
Wizards Insider

Wizards Coach Flip Saunders made a lot of interesting comments on Wednesday about his team and, of course, the franchise player, Gilbert Arenas.

Let's start with Arenas, since DeShawn Stevenson has already stated that this whole team revolves around the guy. Saunders watched Arenas lift, train and play basketball last week in Chicago, where several players, including Dwyane Wade, O.J. Mayo, Tracy McGrady and Jermaine O'Neal have been working with famed trainer Tim Grover at Attack Athletics gym. Saunders said he realizes that a healthy Arenas makes the Wizards a markedly improved team.

"No question, a player of his talent, when he's playing, he puts us from a team that's competing for the playoffs to a team that's an elite team in the playoffs. When you walk in the gym right now, you wouldn't think that he's hurt," Saunders said. "If he's at that ability when our season starts, we're going to be an elite team in this league."

While Saunders added that Arenas has regained his confidence, quickness and scoring touch, he also intimated that while the three-time all-star has made progress, there is still the potential for a setback. With the additions of Randy Foye and Mike Miller, however, the Wizards suddenly have the depth to endure any short-term absence by Arenas.

"I think the basis of how we play, you hope you can always withstand a guy not being at 100 percent and not being able to play at times," Saunders said. "I think what we've done by picking up Randy and Mike and the other guys and then Javaris [Crittenton], how he's picked up; we've given ourselves a situation if [Arenas is] sore, he can sit out. He doesn't have to play every game. Before, if one of those [all-star caliber] guys sat out, it put the team in a big hole. We were really struggling and it was tough to win without those guys playing. I think in the short term, we can withstand some of that."

Without making a prediction, Saunders really has some high hopes for this team, especially with a lineup that has "no duplicate players."

I asked Saunders if he still plans on using an eight-man rotation with this roster. Saunders didn't close the door on giving several players the opportunity to contribute. "I'll be honest," he said. "In the past, we played eight, nine man rotation because that's the players that were able to play at the level that we needed them to do it ... When you look at our roster right now, we're solid at every spot. Some people say, 'How are you going to play them all?' That's up for me to decide, actually up to them to decide how we play."

As I stated earlier, Saunders has been making the rounds this summer, getting to know his players on a more personal level, seeing what makes them tick, letting them know what makes him tick. Saunders has already visited several players this offseason, including Blatche during individual workouts here; Arenas and Caron Butler in Chicago; Crittenton in Atlanta; Antawn Jamison, Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller and Mike James in Las Vegas; and plans to soon visit Jamison and Haywood in North Carolina.

He also has assigned his assistant coaches to carry out his message and work with players. Saunders said Sam Cassell is in Los Angeles to meet with Nick Young, JaVale McGee and Dominic McGuire. "We've had as good a summer as you can have, as far as the commitment from the players," Saunders said. "We're in this together. It's going to make the tradition that much easier, because I think there are so many things these guys can do, I want to get a head start on it."

The Wizards have three former all-stars who have all had seasons in which they have averaged 20 or more points. I asked Saunders if Arenas, Butler and Jamison expressed a willingness to sacrifice high-scoring numbers in order to win under his spread-the-wealth system. Saunders had a pretty good comeback: "They want to win. All they want to do is win. Team success beats individual glory. Individual glory doesn't mean team success. I know this, I know what happened last year winning 19 games, so scoring 20 points don't matter. I think they understand, what really it's all about."

Saunders is doing his part to sell this team to the masses. "We have higher expectations than a lot of other people because we know the type of players we have," Saunders said. "Our players have put in as much time or more than anybody else. The year that we had last year stung and they want to make up for that."

The Franchise
08-13-2009, 04:30 PM
So have the Wizards. You don't think they can beat out the Pistons?

Good point. :lol