PDA

View Full Version : Cheney felt Bush stopped taking his advice

Viva Las Espuelas
08-13-2009, 10:11 AM
WASHINGTON – Former Vice President Dick Cheney believes his old boss, President George W. Bush, gradually turned away from his advice during their second term in the White House, showing a surprising independence as he started taking more flexible positions on a range of issues, The Washington Post reported Wednesday.
Cheney, often described as the most influential vice president in U.S. history, has been discussing his years in office in informal talks with authors, diplomats, policy experts and past colleagues, the Post said, as he works on a memoir due out in 2011 from Simon & Schuster's Threshold Editions.
Robert Barnett, who negotiated Cheney's book contract, passed word to potential publishers that the memoir would be packed with news, said the article published on the Post Web site, and Cheney himself has said, without explanation, that "the statute of limitations has expired" on many of his secrets.
The book will cover Cheney's long career from chief of staff under President Gerald Ford to vice president under Bush.
"When the president made decisions that I didn't agree with, I still supported him and didn't go out and undercut him," Cheney said, according to Stephen Hayes, his authorized biographer. "Now we're talking about after we've left office. I have strong feelings about what happened. ... And I don't have any reason not to forthrightly express those views."
According to the author of the Post piece, Barton Gellman, who earlier wrote a book on Cheney called "Angler," the former vice president believes Bush made concessions to public sentiment, something Cheney views as moral weakness. After years of praising Bush as a man of resolve, Cheney now intimates that the former president turned out to be more like an ordinary politician in the end, Gellman says.
"In the second term, he felt Bush was moving away from him," Gellman quoted a participant in the recent gathering, describing Cheney's reply. "He said Bush was shackled by the public reaction and the criticism he took. Bush was more malleable to that. The implication was that Bush had gone soft on him, or rather Bush had hardened against Cheney's advice. He'd showed an independence that Cheney didn't see coming."
The Post quoted John P. Hannah, Cheney's second-term national security adviser, as saying Cheney remains driven, now as before, by the possibility of terrorists obtaining nuclear weapons from a nation hostile to the U.S.
What is new, Hannah said, is Cheney's readiness to acknowledge "doubts about the main channels of American policy during the last few years," a period encompassing most of Bush's second term.

clambake
08-13-2009, 10:16 AM
he's just pissed about the treatment of scooter. thats when he knew he'd lost his girlfriend.

ChumpDumper
08-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Way to be specific, dick.

I am glad that Bush eventually stopped taking Cheney's advice on Iraq -- but he never should have taken it in the first place.

LnGrrrR
08-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Cheney's fucking psychotic.

As the time since Bush has stepped down has increased, Bush has been respectful and independent of Obama's actions, which is commendable. Cheney has been his usual, fearful self.

Cheney is more than willing to trash provisions of the Constitution, fear-monger, and lie in order to protect us from terrorism. In some people, that might be considered commendable. I'm sure Cheney IS worried about the possibilities. However, bastardizing America is order to save it from a possible attack is not worth it.

DarkReign
08-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Cheney's fucking psychotic.

As the time since Bush has stepped down has increased, Bush has been respectful and independent of Obama's actions, which is commendable. Cheney has been his usual, fearful self.

Cheney is more than willing to trash provisions of the Constitution, fear-monger, and lie in order to protect us from terrorism. In some people, that might be considered commendable. I'm sure Cheney IS worried about the possibilities. However, bastardizing America is order to save it from a possible attack is not worth it.

Cant argue with that. IIRC, didnt Clinton mouth-off during Bush's reign? Thats a big no-no among Presidents, I hear.

Bush has been extremely quiet and removed. Just as an ex-President should be unless called upon by his country. This includes Clinton, who was called upon in that NK prisoner deal.

LnGrrrR
08-14-2009, 12:14 PM
I believe Clinton did. Was Clinton an only-child? He does seem to have that "focus on me!" attitude. :)

fyatuk
08-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Bush should never have been taking all that advice. He was decent enough when he made his own mind up (not great, but decent). It's only when he started listening to Cheney and Rumsfeld, et al, that he did really stupid things.

SnakeBoy
08-14-2009, 01:02 PM
I am glad that Bush eventually stopped taking Cheney's advice on Iraq -- but he never should have taken it in the first place.

It took the '06 GOP defeat to get Bush to pull his head out of his ass. He should have made changes long before. I'm glad he did also but I don't give him credit for finally seeing what everyone else already knew.

angelbelow
08-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Good

Yonivore
08-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Cant argue with that. IIRC, didnt Clinton mouth-off during Bush's reign? Thats a big no-no among Presidents, I hear.

Bush has been extremely quiet and removed. Just as an ex-President should be unless called upon by his country. This includes Clinton, who was called upon in that NK prisoner deal.
Republican presidents have a long history of doing just that. Democrats, not so much. Hell, Jimmy Carter is still butting in.

And, I heard that Clinton wasn't called upon by the administration but, that he was asked by former Vice President Gore. I read somewhere that Obama was pissed about the trip.

clambake
08-15-2009, 01:13 PM
I read somewhere that Obama was pissed about the trip.

where did you read that? (snickers)

boutons_deux
08-15-2009, 02:40 PM
"get Bush to pull his head out of his ass."

like the affirmative-action silver spoon in his mouth, that is an incurably chronic condition. He shits right into his brain.

Yonivore
08-15-2009, 05:09 PM
where did you read that? (snickers)
I don't remember; and, it could have been said in jest by whomever wrote it. Not important to the point in this thread.