PDA

View Full Version : Renting an RV next Spring - Need advice (b2b)

Soul_Patch
08-13-2009, 10:27 AM
I need a good RV that can sleep 6 adults and 3 kids...

Are there any cab overs that sleep that many? Am i lookin at a big ass bus and thats it?

Any good suggestions on who to call or where to go for rental?

I have been looking at this site http://www.txrvrent.com/Location.asp?lid=049

but they dont list berths for sleeping, just size with a generic picture...

clambake
08-13-2009, 10:29 AM
why rent when you can own?

see what i did there, b2b? i greased the skillet for ya.

CosmicCowboy
08-13-2009, 10:33 AM
There is a place on I-10 almost to Boerne that rents all sizes...they have trailers and motor homes...you should check them out...I think they are called American Dream Vacations. 830-981-8835

BacktoBasics
08-13-2009, 10:54 AM
I doubt (could be wrong) you could find anyone renting cab overs. I'd go with a basic 26-29' trailer. Renting is expensive. Real expensive so be ready. Renting motorhomes/buses is even more expensive. You need at least a 1/2 Ton V8 truck with a receiver or tow package. 7 pin plug and brake controller as well. Weight distribution and sway bar may be included in the rental or you may need to buy them separately. They run about 400 bucks.

Be prepared for 700-1000 plus deposits. Usually there is a minimum 3-7 day rental so look into that. There aren't many rental places around. I think there is one in SA that not too bad. RV rentals by A & P I think its called. Ring them up.

Keep in mind that a single rental would likely cover a down payment on a nice used one.

Vinnie_Johnson
08-13-2009, 10:55 AM
I doubt (could be wrong) you could find anyone renting cab overs. I'd go with a basic 26-29' trailer. Renting is expensive. Real expensive so be ready. Renting motorhomes/buses is even more expensive. You need at least a 1/2 Ton V8 truck with a receiver or tow package. 7 pin plug and brake controller as well. Weight distribution and sway bar may be included in the rental or you may need to buy them separately. They run about 400 bucks.

Be prepared for 700-1000 plus deposits. Usually there is a minimum 3-7 day rental so look into that. There aren't many rental places around I think there is one in SA that not too bad. RV rentals by A & P I think its called. Ring them up.

Keep in mind that a single rental would likely cover a down payment on a nice used one.

ABC nice....:toast

Soul_Patch
08-13-2009, 10:59 AM
on the site i listed above i could rent a 30+ foot bus type RV for a bit over 5k for 12 days 3500 miles + some extras...

that is somewhat reasonable to me i guess, considering id be splitting it with people.

My only question is, would it seat / sleep enough people (6 adults 3 kids).

Soul_Patch
08-13-2009, 11:00 AM
There is a place on I-10 almost to Boerne that rents all sizes...they have trailers and motor homes...you should check them out...I think they are called American Dream Vacations. 830-981-8835

The website i was looking at is the place you are taking about, near boerne. They rent all sizes of RVs and Trailers.

CosmicCowboy
08-13-2009, 11:02 AM
on the site i listed above i could rent a 30+ foot bus type RV for a bit over 5k for 12 days 3500 miles + some extras...

that is somewhat reasonable to me i guess, considering id be splitting it with people.

My only question is, would it seat / sleep enough people (6 adults 3 kids).

Don't forget that you are gonna get about 5 mpg. It can cost $500 just to fill one of those suckers up.

BacktoBasics
08-13-2009, 11:03 AM

My only question is, would it seat / sleep enough people (6 adults 3 kids).Its too hard to say without knowing the model number. Some motorhomes are designed for couples while others have bunk beds in the back. Call them up and ask them if its a bunkhouse model. You definitely want bunk beds. Sometimes they tell you "yeah it'll sleep 6" but come to find out that they mean sofa and booths not actual beds.

Soul_Patch
Cool, i just found on their site, you can look at floor plans for all their rentals...question answered...disregard..etc..

BacktoBasics
Don't forget that you are gonna get about 5 mpg. It can cost $500 just to fill one of those suckers up.Word

Soul_Patch
08-13-2009, 11:07 AM
I think i found my horse!

http://www.txrvrent.com/ConfigView.asp?VehicleID=491

Should run just over 4k for our trip + fuel obviously.

BacktoBasics
08-13-2009, 11:09 AM

Should run just over 4k for our trip + fuel obviously.That would work.

BacktoBasics
08-13-2009, 11:09 AM
So where you going. Ask them if there's an Uncle Eddy discount.

Soul_Patch
08-13-2009, 11:10 AM
hey, do you have any suggestions on websites to find "best rv parks" or something along those lines?

I am tasked with planning / pricing all this shit for the family vacation...

Soul_Patch
08-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Plan is to motor from here to Grand Teton / Yellow stone and back, making a loop and stopping at points of interest along the way.

CosmicCowboy
08-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Oh, and if you rent from those guys make DAMN sure you document every scratch, ding, or dirt speck and then take it back EXACTLY like you rented it. I know a guy that rented a motor home there and put a 4" scratch low on the side...those things have "custom" paint jobs and they kept all of his damage deposit and allegedly repainted the whole damn side of the bus. Most of their units are individually owned and they just broker them so they are gonna err on the side of the owners "loaning" them the rigs every time...

Soul_Patch
08-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Oh, and if you rent from those guys make DAMN sure you document every scratch, ding, or dirt speck and then take it back EXACTLY like you rented it. I know a guy that rented a motor home there and put a 4" scratch low on the side...those things have "custom" paint jobs and they kept all of his damage deposit and allegedly repainted the whole damn side of the bus. Most of their units are individually owned and they just broker them so they are gonna err on the side of the owners "loaning" them the rigs every time...

Thanks...good to know.

CosmicCowboy
08-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Plan is to motor from here to Grand Teton / Yellow stone and back, making a loop and stopping at points of interest along the way.

Hint...taste the water at every campground before you fill your storage tanks.

BacktoBasics
08-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Hint...taste the water at every campground before you fill your storage tanks.Or buy an inline filter that attaches to the water source on the outside of the trailer.

There are RV destination books and campground editions sold at pretty much every RV dealership. Its a full catalog of pretty much every available park.

Soul_Patch
08-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Im thinking 12 days will be our total travel time...I have never done something like this, but do you guys think that is enough?

Regardless going to have to be as i dont think any of us can get off of work any longer, but do you think i should cut corners to go somewhere closer perhaps?

BacktoBasics
08-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Im thinking 12 days will be our total travel time...I have never done something like this, but do you guys think that is enough?

Regardless going to have to be as i dont think any of us can get off of work any longer, but do you think i should cut corners to go somewhere closer perhaps?12 days should work. The longer you can get away from work the better.

CosmicCowboy
08-13-2009, 11:21 AM
hey, do you have any suggestions on websites to find "best rv parks" or something along those lines?

I am tasked with planning / pricing all this shit for the family vacation...

http://www.koa.com/
http://www.woodalls.com/

Once you get to the Tetons they have great RV campgrounds in the National Park...

CosmicCowboy
08-13-2009, 11:23 AM
There are RV destination books and campground editions sold at pretty much every RV dealership. Its a full catalog of pretty much every available park.

Got any big shrimp? B2B will trade you for a catalog!

BacktoBasics
08-13-2009, 11:24 AM
http://www.koa.com/
http://www.woodalls.com/

Once you get to the Tetons they have great RV campgrounds in the National Park...Thanks woodalls was the one I was thinking about.

Soul_Patch
08-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Got any big shrimp? B2B will trade you for a catalog!

Heh...funny you ask, a friend of the family owns a shrimp boat down in aransas pass and just brought us 10lbs of really nice table shrimp the other day. Its at my grandpa's house, we are planning a cook out soon!

Soul_Patch
08-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Another question to you road trippers...How many miles a day should i expect to cover realistically? 500? 700? trying to decide where exactly i should plan our stops.

BacktoBasics
08-13-2009, 11:38 AM
500 is a lot if you plan to stop frequently or for extended periods of time. Otherwise 500 miles is pretty easily covered.

I. Hustle
08-13-2009, 11:39 AM
You can borrow mine if you have collateral.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1112/1264863741_595ac21f4e.jpg

CosmicCowboy
08-13-2009, 11:39 AM
500 miles is a long day driving one of those big pigs especially after you get out of Texas and off the flat interstates. My suggestion would be to have the rig packed and leave early in the morning and tag team drive a long first day to get out of Texas...maybe spend the first night at Raton, New Mexico. Then slow down to 300 a day or less if you are stopping for stuff...

Chingo Bling
08-13-2009, 11:45 AM
For a case of Tecate and a blow yob from jour vieja jou can borrow mines. It sleeps 10.
http://www.lindentertainment.com/photogallery/who%20wont%20be%20at%20the%20fest_/mexican_rv.jpg

CosmicCowboy
08-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Make a list of the places you know you want to stop in order...off the top of my head for a 12 day trip to the area you mentioned it might be..

Royal Gorge
Pikes Peak
Rocky Mountain National Park
Jackson Hole
Grand Tetons
Yellowstone
Dinosaur National Monument
Durango Colorago (ride the train)
Mesa Verde National Park
Taos New Mexico
Carlsbad Caverns
Home

Kind of plot out how much time you want to spend at each place. If you do Yellowstone figure two nights. It will take you all day to make the loop in the park even though it's less than 200 miles.

BacktoBasics
08-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Have I shown you our new Wagon Queen Family Truckster.

Soul_Patch
08-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Make a list of the places you know you want to stop in order...off the top of my head for a 12 day trip to the area you mentioned it might be..

Royal Gorge
Pikes Peak
Rocky Mountain National Park
Jackson Hole
Grand Tetons
Yellowstone
Dinosaur National Monument
Durango Colorago (ride the train)
Mesa Verde National Park
Taos New Mexico
Carlsbad Caverns
Home

Kind of plot out how much time you want to spend at each place. If you do Yellowstone figure two nights. It will take you all day to make the loop in the park even though it's less than 200 miles.

sweet....just what i was looking for, thanks!

CosmicCowboy
08-13-2009, 12:38 PM
That list is actually pretty aggressive for 12 days. You could easily cut out Pikes Peak on the front and Taos and Carlsbad Caverns on the rear and still have a nice trip...Leave Mesa Verde and cut back across southern Colorado through Pagosa etc. back to Raton and then tag team drive home from there.

CosmicCowboy
08-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Have you ever driven one of those big pigs? I hate it. i've done it, but I'd rather sleep in a tent at night that drive one of those fat pigs for 10 hours a day, especially in traffic and the mountains.

CubanMustGo
08-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Have you ever driven one of those big pigs? I hate it. i've done it, but I'd rather sleep in a tent at night that drive one of those fat pigs for 10 hours a day, especially in traffic and the mountains.

+1

If you try to go to Rocky Mtn National Park, be aware the road goes to 12K feet and you will be boggin down big time going that high ... and going downhill in something that big is no walk in the park, either.

Getting to Jackson/Yellowstone is no biggie, good roads and no huge climbs. Now the roads IN Yellowstone - narrow and usually under construction. Hit the park web site for details. On some roads you'll average 30-40 mph, but you didn't go to the park to drive through it like a bat out of hell. And take it seriously when they warn you about bears and not leaving stuff out where they can get to it.

Going to Durango, depending on the route, can be pretty tricky. Coming over the mountains south from Grand Jct/Ouray is a nailbiter if you're not used to those kinds of roads (narrow and lots of places without guardrails because avalanches kept taking them out). You can come in from further west but will miss some scenery.

12 days is aggressive. It's three days drive to Jackson in a car (or two days if you want to drive 12+ hours a day).

BTW, having done both last month, I prefer the train between Chama, NM and Antonito, CO (the Cumbres & Toltec) to the one between Durango and Silverton. The scenery on the latter is more spectacular, the former is the more authentic experience and not nearly as corporate.

Depending on how early you go in spring, you could encounter snow. Be prepared - if conditions warrant they will not let you drive some roads without chains.

Have a great time!!

Heath Ledger
08-13-2009, 03:32 PM

Should run just over 4k for our trip + fuel obviously.

4 G's? Wtf are you driving to Alaska?