PDA

View Full Version : I was able to speak to Senator Specter Today

101A
08-13-2009, 02:47 PM
NOT at a town hall meeting, but at a meeting of the Democratic Party here in the country I live in. I found out about it through an email I received because I once registered with Obama's website.

Anyway, it was small, maybe 100 - 150 people in the room, and after a brief "Rah Rah" talk; Specter opened it up to questions, of which I was the fifth.

First, I am not going to be on YouTube - I took the (rare) opportunity to address a Senator directly (dude had his hand on my shoulder) - and I took that opportunity to point out parts of the pending legislation coming out of the HELP committee (of which he is a member), that are particularly damaging to self-funded ERISA plans (which my company manages). He said, frankly, that he wasn't that familiar with those parts, but would look into them; then sent me out of the room with one of his aide's. I got a direct phone number, email address, etc....so an ear, fwiw. I couldn't have asked for more; I don't need to make a political statement; I need parts of that bill changed.

ChumpDumper
08-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Has he read the Koran yet?

DarrinS
08-13-2009, 04:06 PM
First, I am not going to be on YouTube - I took the (rare) opportunity to address a Senator directly (dude had his hand on my shoulder)

Was he in front of you?

doobs
08-13-2009, 04:28 PM
What was he doing with his other hand?

ElNono
08-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Your civility probably got you a lot farther than those participating in shouting matches.
We'll see how he follows up though.

SonOfAGun
08-13-2009, 05:05 PM
LOL @ civility when these crooks are trying to ram legislation through the system as quickly as possible

We are going to fuck you over, but please do not bitch about it and get out of line.

Thanks for your concern. We will look into it.

101A
08-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Your civility probably got you a lot farther than those participating in shouting matches.
We'll see how he follows up though.

Yes.

spurster
08-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Congrats to you, 101A.

LnGrrrR
08-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Good stuff 101A. It always helps to explain things from a "I know this issue, and here's how it affects me" angle. That's what I do when concerned about something I know personally.

Let us know what happens. Though it is Specter, so I'm not sure if I'd expect alot. :D

LnGrrrR
08-14-2009, 11:57 AM
LOL @ civility when these crooks are trying to ram legislation through the system as quickly as possible

Thanks for your concern. We will look into it.

I'm sure if he had screamed at and/or insulted Specter, like a responsible adult, the conversation would've been much more productive.