PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Spur Thomas is part of plan

Danny.Zhu
08-13-2009, 10:29 PM
By Charles F. Gardner of the Journal Sentinel
Aug. 12, 2009

Bruce Bowen is gone, waived for $2 million in savings.

Fabrico Oberto never really landed with the Bucks, instead being sent to Detroit as part of the three-team deal which resulted in veteran Richard Jefferson joining the San Antonio Spurs. Now Oberto has signed with the Washington Wizards after being released by the Pistons.

But what about Kurt Thomas, the veteran forward-center and the third San Antonio player involved in the trade?

The 6-foot-9, 240-pound Thomas is part of the Bucks' plans for the coming season, an experienced pro who can help the young talent the team has acquired.

General manager John Hammond sees Thomas as a player who can provide support at both the power forward and center positions, helping to back up center Andrew Bogut and the Bucks' young trio of power forwards - Hakim Warrick, Amir Johnson and Ersan Ilyasova.

"The question is how many minutes can he play," Hammond said. "You don't want to wear him out."

Thomas will turn 37 on Oct. 4 and will be starting his 15th NBA season, a remarkable record of endurance. He was a first-round pick of the Miami Heat in the 1995 draft, the 10th overall selection.

He played seven seasons with the New York Knicks and was the team's starting center in the 1999 NBA Finals against the Spurs.

Oddly, Thomas went to San Antonio in a February 2008 trade with Seattle, a deal that involved Francisco Elson, now a Bucks teammate.

"He's a pro's pro," Hammond said. "The fact is he's a guy you can have on the floor to finish games. He can step up to make the big shot, and he knows how to defend on the interior. His rebounding numbers are excellent.

"And he's excited about being here."

Thomas averaged 4.3 points and 5.1 rebounds in 79 games with the Spurs last season. He made 39 starts in 42 appearances with Seattle in 2007-'08, before moving on to the Spurs and playing in 28 games (nine starts).

Thomas also has a cap-friendly contract, with one year and $3.8 million remaining on a deal he signed with the Spurs in July 2008.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/53045352.html

Udokafan05
08-13-2009, 10:37 PM
"And he's excited about being here."---------Sounds like a lie.

pawe
08-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Bucks are gonna sweep the Spurs now for sure.

timtonymanu
08-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Elson and Thomas are the key to beating the Spurs while RJ and Haislip can help the Spurs beat the Bucks.

BWS-1994
08-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Thomas will intimidate the young Spurs bigs and beat the rest in a "stare down"...

greyforest
08-14-2009, 03:08 AM
yea i should proabbly change my avatar

angelbelow
08-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Too bad hes on the bucks. Would be nice to see him on a contender but since our team is full he might have to wait another year.

wildbill2u
08-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Where oh where is Kevin Willis when you need him. :toast

spursfaninla
08-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Kevin Willis does not have anything left in the tank.

Thomas also has little, if anything, in the tank.

Dice, on the other hand, has plently left...

in the tank.

texbound
08-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Kevin Willis does not have anything left in the tank.

Thomas also has little, if anything, in the tank.

Dice, on the other hand, has plently left...

in the tank.

I would say that the needle in Kevin Willis's TANK is past E.....

Thomas has about a 1/4 left in the TANK.....

Dice has about 3/8 left in his TANK......

All in all I think the Spurs have plenty of guys with their TANKs half full or more......

BTW, I see where you're going with that :toast

DaBears
08-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Doubt it since I might be wrong here but SPURS have a 15 player roster as of now. I dont think they would be signing him up this year unless Ime Udoka is on his way out.

DaBears
08-14-2009, 03:19 PM
I remember when fans would go to SPURS games back in the day & point out Kevin Willis and say "hey look its T-rex".. That guy had some short arms....

mudyez
08-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Bucks are gonna sweep the Spurs now for sure.

as long as we wont meet the in the playoffs....

uhm....WAIT! I guess its ok, to meet them in the playoffs :)

clubalien
08-14-2009, 05:43 PM
I would say that the needle in Kevin Willis's TANK is past E.....

Thomas has about a 1/4 left in the TANK.....

Dice has about 3/8 left in his TANK......

All in all I think the Spurs have plenty of guys with their TANKs half full or more......

BTW, I see where you're going with that :toast

and manu is an electric car like tesla roadster.
tons of torque, just cannot go the whole season without a recharge

Texas_Ranger
08-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Where oh where is Kevin Willis when you need him. :toast

It would be great to sign K-Will and Robinson! :hat