PDA

View Full Version : SO, tired of knee problems!!!!

PuttPutt
08-14-2009, 12:54 AM
On Tuesday I'm having my left knee scoped for the 3rd time. :bang
I've got 2 tears & something floating in there. It's been 16-17 years since I had it cut on. So, I'm a bit nervous. It's just the thought of surgery & knowing that I'll have to have another in the next 5-10 years too.
But the 4th will be major surgery. I'm going to be left with less cartilage, which I don't have much anyway. I was told 11 years ago, when I was 21, that I needed joint replacement. Dr. Schmidt, the Spurs orthopedic, gave me that wonderful news. My current doctor reiterated the same thing a couple of weeks ago.
But I'm still too young. I'm just glad I'm in another really good surgeon's care again, since I don't live in SA anymore. The doctor I have now is Merritt K. Auld. He's got good credentials (Seattle Seahawks: Team Physician, 1986-1993, Seattle Seahawks: Head Team Physician, 1993-2007, Seattle Seahawks: Orthopedic Consultant, current, & Seattle Mariners: Orthopedic Consultant, 2006-present) & is a really personable guy. So, wish me luck, say a little prayer, & all that. Thanks.

Strike
08-14-2009, 01:44 AM
I know what you're going through. In '93 I had to have my right knee scoped to repair a meniscus tear. In '94, I had to have it again. My surgeon in '94 told me that the meniscus may have to be removed if the damage is too severe. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. He did, however, tell me that I can probably look forward to a full knee replacement in the future. I'm not there yet but as the years go by I feel the condition of my knee getting progressively worse. It's too the point now where I have to where a neoprene sleeve on my knee just to do my job. And if I go on vacation or otherwise don't exercise the knee for more than a day, it gets stiff and incredibly sore for a few days.

I feel your pain, puttputt. I won't say a prayer (agnostic) but I'll hoist a beer for a the success of your surgery.

holcs50
08-14-2009, 02:23 AM
that sucks man-at 32. Yea cartilage and meniscus problems seem to be the ones that linger for years and years. I did the whole ACL tear and repairment surgery but luckily i didn't do anything else in there and now my knee is as good as it ever was before. Hope it goes well for ya, GL

CosmicCowboy
08-14-2009, 08:24 AM
It doesn't get any better. I've had 4 scope jobs and am due for at least one replacement.

We just better get them before Obamacare kicks in. I suspect that the answer to chronic knee problems in the future will be to take 2 aspirin, use a cane, and don't call me again.

JoeChalupa
08-14-2009, 08:34 AM
It doesn't get any better. I've had 4 scope jobs and am due for at least one replacement.

We just better get them before Obamacare kicks in. I suspect that the answer to chronic knee problems in the future will be to take 2 aspirin, use a cane, and don't call me again.

I know this isn't the political forum but your paranoia over health care cracks me up. :lmao

CosmicCowboy
08-14-2009, 09:17 AM
I know this isn't the political forum but your paranoia over health care cracks me up. :lmao

Your blind naivete over health care cracks me up...:lmao

tlongII
08-14-2009, 09:20 AM

When Obamacare kicks in we'll go in for knee replacement surgery and they'll just euthanize us.

tlongII
08-14-2009, 09:21 AM
My brother had knee replacement surgery a little over a year ago. He can't run any more, but I think he's happy with it.

CosmicCowboy
08-14-2009, 09:24 AM
My brother had knee replacement surgery a little over a year ago. He can't run any more, but I think he's happy with it.

My sister had one done last year with that relatively new procedure where they don't cut the tendon...the healing time relative to the "old" way was amazing...she was walking on it without crutches in two weeks...

Viva Las Espuelas
08-14-2009, 09:27 AM

bricker bracker firecracker!!!!!!!!!!!
sis koom bahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
barack obama barack obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RAH RAH RAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geezerballer
08-14-2009, 09:28 AM
It's a bitch ain't it?

Knees are something you just don't miss until they're gone.

The only advice I have is keep your weight down as much as possible. I used to lift heavy weights but since my knees went bad, I've tried to slim down to a leaner body type. It helps more than anything else I've found. Of course my life sucks now that I'm on a perpetual diet but at least I can make it down the stairs.

Good luck.

Summers
08-14-2009, 10:12 AM
My mom has Sjogren's disease, which has symptoms very similar to arthritis. Last year her orthopedist told her all the cartilage in her knees was completely gone, but she was too young for knee replacement. She was 55, taking shitloads of Aleve, and couldn't walk more than about 30 yards at a time because of the pain. So she shopped around until she found someone who would replace both knees and she couldn't be happier.

mrsmaalox
08-14-2009, 10:58 AM
My mom has Sjogren's disease, which has symptoms very similar to arthritis. Last year her orthopedist told her all the cartilage in her knees was completely gone, but she was too young for knee replacement. She was 55, taking shitloads of Aleve, and couldn't walk more than about 30 yards at a time because of the pain. So she shopped around until she found someone who would replace both knees and she couldn't be happier.

My mom needs to have one knee replaced real soon. She is waiting until the very last possible minute to have it done, but her doctor already told her not to bother to come back until she's ready for it because in the meantime there is nothing else he can do for her.

mrsmaalox
08-14-2009, 11:03 AM
bricker bracker firecracker!!!!!!!!!!!
sis koom bahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
barack obama barack obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RAH RAH RAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Rd27GG_0AJU/Sa_gPsA47_I/AAAAAAAADI8/teiULhpj2OE/s400/HairFire.jpg