PDA

View Full Version : T Wolves bite the dust in Atlanta

picnroll
04-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Lose to the Hawks. That leaves them one loss or one Grizz win from elimination I think.

sickdsm
04-09-2005, 08:54 PM
It was over last night.

timvp
04-09-2005, 08:54 PM
How would you rebuild that team, sickdsm?

slayermin
04-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Wolves009 was a prophet afterall. They are gonna finisht 9th.

spursfan05
04-09-2005, 08:57 PM
haha

smeagol
04-09-2005, 09:00 PM
So where's 009 these days?

Hope he is doing well . . . :lol

picnroll
04-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Will the Wolves use a chunk of their MLE to resign Eddie Griffin? Is he worth it given their needs?

ducks
04-09-2005, 09:14 PM
I wonder if kg will ask out? one superstar has to each off season

goliath
04-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Thats absolutly amazing that the Wolves didnt make the playoffs. Most people have expected it for awhile since they've basically sucked all year but think back to the begining of the season. If I woulda posted that they wouldnt make it I woulda been laughed off this board. Yeah, they've had injuries but you would figure that with KG healthy this season they would still be in the mix with Houston, Dal, ect.

sickdsm
04-09-2005, 09:23 PM
I don't want Griffen back. I wouldn't mind him for the salary but he's not going to be much of a difference maker. Its hard to imagine a poor defensive player, 3 pt crazy PF being much more than a career backup with KG. I wouldn't ever see him starting at SF, even if wally and spree were gone.

I'd make my priorities 1a and 1b:

1a: Find a youngish, defensive minded, tougher coach. Skiles is my ideal replacement. I'd settle for McMillian, Musselman or someone thats NOT a college coach nor a retread.

1b: Get a legitamate PG AND get rid of Hudson. Sam i probably wouldn't mind coming off the bench the rest of his career. He's lights out but doesn't play defense. I think that'd work great for going against second tier guys plus he's bound to be more injury prone this year. Sam wasn't a problem chemistry-wise IMO. Troy has been horrible. Buy him out whatever. It'd be worth it.

That's about it. The rest is minor. Spree should not be back. He should not be starting either but noone on that staff ever listened to me. Kandi has been playing beautifully under McHale. Imagine a better coach that can reach him the same way in his contract year. He's given me effort, most notably last night when he'd clear out jumpshooters with his arms stretched to the sky scampering and jumping out/up as high as he could. Every part of his game/effort has been better.

I would like to see Ebi get some game time in at SF. I think he'd get more comfortable playing 5-10 a game. I could see him playing strong SF defense and lots of steals/blocks/layups/dunks. He's light but he's tall enough IMO to decently guard most SF's down on the block.

Resign Madsen and Carter and whatever guys you bring in make sure their young. Increase Hoibergs role and start BOTH wally/hassell if you start one of them.

Oh yeah, find a differnt GM and get rid of all the assistants/yes men except Jerry Schiting.

sickdsm
04-09-2005, 09:23 PM
KG wasn't healthy. Did you watch any wolves games this year??????

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-09-2005, 09:28 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/kevin_garnett.jpg = http://www.txlottery.org/images/thumbs/529.gif

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-09-2005, 09:37 PM
BTW,

I don't want Griffen back. I wouldn't mind him for the salary but he's not going to be much of a difference maker. Its hard to imagine a poor defensive player, 3 pt crazy PF being much more than a career backup with KG.

Explain to me how a guy who is 18th in the league in blocks from the SF spot is poor defensively.

Part of Minnesota's problem is that neither one of your coaches realized that Griffin was better than anyone on that team not named Garnett or Szczerbiak.

goliath
04-09-2005, 10:41 PM
He played every game this year. What I meant was he didnt go down and miss a significant stretch of games. So let me rephrase...With KG playing 76 of 76 games this year they would still be in the mix with Houston, Dal, ect.

goliath
04-09-2005, 10:43 PM
KG and Kobe in the lottery...couldnt happen to 2 nicer guys

exstatic
04-09-2005, 10:43 PM
What a horrible season. Is this God taking a mulligan for forgetting to flush them in the first round last year? :lmao

TDfan2007
04-09-2005, 10:47 PM

Ya that's why he had 31 12 & 7. :rolleyes

Dumbass

Tek_XX
04-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Garnett had nagging injurys like a lot of guys have.

goliath
04-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Tim, Manu, and Devin havent been healthy and have actually missed games.

How can we have the second best record in the West and the T-wolves miss the playoffs then if injuries = no playoffs

RobinsontoDuncan
04-09-2005, 11:42 PM
how much would it suck to have Bogut along with KG or Kobe... really bad.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Minnesota's problem was that they rolled out an 85 year old point guard with funny ears, a 63 year old swingman with a bad perm, and 95 year old Anthony Carter at the point, and expected to win.

Oh, and KG is NOT a leader.

timvp
04-10-2005, 02:46 AM
I see Wolves009thseed online.

Any comments in this thread? Why haven't you posted in over a month?

:smokin

TDfan2007
04-10-2005, 02:48 AM
I see Wolves009thseed online.

Any comments in this thread? Why haven't you posted in over a month?

:smokin

He has no rebuddle, his team sucks and he knows it.

whottt
04-10-2005, 02:50 AM

So let me get this straight...you want to dump Griffin and keep Carter and Olowokandi?

Are you on freaking crack? Why do you hate Garnett so much?

Just be happy if you guys even keep Garnett....he's not gonna waste his career forever because of one of the most imcompetent Front Offices in NBA history...

I think Garnett is gonna start making noises about wanting out....I would if I were him...his prime is almost gone.

alamo50
04-10-2005, 06:51 AM
That's about it. The rest is minor. Spree should not be back. He should not be starting either but noone on that staff ever listened to me.

:lol

sickdsm
04-10-2005, 12:42 PM
BTW,

Explain to me how a guy who is 18th in the league in blocks from the SF spot is poor defensively.

Part of Minnesota's problem is that neither one of your coaches realized that Griffin was better than anyone on that team not named Garnett or Szczerbiak.

Guys like you obviously don't get it. Griffen wasn't playing the SF spot. How many times did you see KG, Kandi AND Eddie all together? But the main reason why you don't get it is blocks don't make the defender. Chris Anderson can be a block machine. Griffen continually gets pumpfaked into fouls, misses his rotations and assignments and doesn't know HOW to deny position on the block, defend a pic and roll, close out jumpshooters without committing a foul, etc...

Get it now?

sickdsm
04-10-2005, 12:49 PM
I never said i wanted to dump Griffen. I don't want them to pay the money he's going to be worth. A 3pt shooting back up PF really isn't going to make or break this team now is it?

Carter played with more balls and heart than alot of other players on this team. His attitude is right and he plays balls out defense.

You obviously haven't watched Kandi play under McHale lately have you? Besides theres only one year left and its a contract year. Do you even think before you bitch? He's not Brad Miller but he's Dean Garrett either. He'll be fine if they get a decent coach.

Experiment2100
04-10-2005, 12:59 PM
All of the collapse the season was just to make it easier for Spree to find a summer job so he could feed his family. It's hard to find one in late May.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Nope. Sorry, half the time Flip (and now McHale) didn't even *play* Griffin in games (I know, I had him on one of my fantasy teams).

You can't blame the problems your team had on Griffin and "missing rotations" when you were getting your asses handed to you for two months while he was injured and then bench fodder.

In the games where Griffin has played more than 20 minutes, they are 30-13 (for perspective their record is 40-37).

Minnesota's defensive problems boil down to the fact that their defensive mindset is using the zone as a crutch so they didn't have to focus on man to man defensive skills. The fact that the Wolves have used that for a good 2-3 years now has created a mindset of "I don't need to play defense, my teammates will cover for me."

Even KG has regressed defensively, and it doesn't do that team any good at all with having an ancient perimeter game in Cassell and Spree out there. That's a lot of rotating to do because they couldn't defend Fat Bastard one on one if their lives depended on it.

What's sad is you're such a homer that you can't recognize Griffin as being the third best player on that team. If your coaches would have figured out giving him more run was a good thing, you might be looking at doing something in May besides getting ready for the lotto balls.

sickdsm
04-10-2005, 04:55 PM
He needs to have a more dominant guy playing center for him to be mildly effective. You obviously didn't watch him play much did you? That's why your throwing stats out there. I see you chose to ignore my Chris Anderson comment and his other inadequacies. He can block shots like its noone else's business but that doesn't make a great defender. And so what? So what if they do keep him, it will probably be for some good jack. He's not going to ever play ahead of KG, he's not a SF and forcing KG to move to center for him to play would be a mistake. His shot is horrible. Somehow it goes in but he has no arc, loves to jack up the three and would be a backup. I'd like to have him here but there's much, MUCH more that should be addressed. Don't act like you know so much about him bc he's on one of your fantasy teams. Hell, i had the birdman last year during a stretch to help out on my blocks but it doesn't mean he's worth much.

A guy like devin brown would be worth 10x the value to the wolves than a guy like Griffen. Get rid of Troy's contract, do what you can, watch the budget and don't saddle yourself with Isiah's dilemna of contracts.

sickdsm
04-13-2005, 09:28 PM
I apologize Aggie. I realiezed today that he is restricted, similar to Trenton's status last year with the whole 3 years in the league deal. I also heard that he's looking at a deal in the ballpark of $20 mill/5 years. Like i said, the money is the problem i have. I don't know what's available for the MLE but it depends who's available for that price before i'd commit to him. Both KG and him are too small/thin to be a center, he's never going to be better than Kev, and if for some reason he plays SF that would HAVE to mean a speedy, slashing, tough defender type guy would start at SG, something that the wolves don't have. Otherwise he's a career backup with the wolves.

milkyway21
04-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Memphis lost to Houston tonight. And Minny won over GS.

they're still alive, right? as long as they win their last 4 games*.

last one vs. Spurs. must not happen :huh

Jdspur20
04-13-2005, 10:38 PM

nither is duncan but you don't see us making excuses. have a nice summer.

sickdsm
04-14-2005, 08:09 AM
There is no excuses to be made. The supporting squad has stepped it up. Obviously the wolves supporting squad didn't.

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 08:31 AM
If Spurs sweep Memphis and Minny wins next 3...Memphis would have to win against Denver and Dallas to stay in playoffs, if Minn beats SA on last day.

That will be a good final test for Spurs, to beat a Minn team that has to win on last day to get playoff spot.

I hope it happens.

boutons
04-14-2005, 08:33 AM
According to this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/standings?season=2005&group=conference&column=gamesBehind&order=null&seasontype=2

... Grizz are the only WC team that has not clinched a playoff spot. The only WC team not mathemtically eliminated is TWolves.

1. The Grizz will be extremely motivated to take both games from Spurs. If the Spurs win both games (but Pop may tank the rest of the season), ...

then next Wednesday:

2. TWolves will be extremely motivated vs Spurs @MIN, because if they can beat the Spurs (Pop may tank the last game of the seaon, Spurs go 60-22), and ..

3. Mavs finish off the Grizz @MEM (highly likely, the Mavs are charging into the playoffs with momentum and confidence, like the Spurs did last year),

... then, with the Grizz losing all the way, and the TWolves winning all the way, the TWolves would steal 8th spot on the last day of the season. That would be wonderful end-of-season entertainment.

Suns would start the playoffs with a effective first-round "bye" vs TWolves, while the Spurs would have to stretch themselves to the max stop the Nuggets.

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 08:37 AM
boutons, get off my nuts.

I just said all of that.

:)

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 08:37 AM
BTW, Denver will finish ahead of Houston, they will beat them this weekend, so stop worrying.

MadDog73
04-14-2005, 08:40 AM
Suns would start the playoffs with a effective first-round "bye" vs TWolves, while the Spurs would have to stretch themselves to the max stop the Nuggets.

Has LakerGod infected you with his frie and brimstone sermons?

I, for one, would HATE to face the T-Wolves if they made it to the Playoffs. Talk about inspired...

And while facing the Nuggets isn't my first choice, I don't think they will "stretch us to the max." And if they do, maybe it will be a good thing.

But the T-Wolves have as much of a chance to make it to the Playoffs as the Nuggets do of making it to the 3rd seed!

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Has LakerGod infected you with his frie and brimstone sermons?

I, for one, would HATE to face the T-Wolves if they made it to the Playoffs. Talk about inspired...

And while facing the Nuggets isn't my first choice, I don't think they will "stretch us to the max." And if they do, maybe it will be a good thing.

But the T-Wolves have as much of a chance to make it to the Playoffs as the Nuggets do of making it to the 3rd seed!

Not true, look at Memphis' schedule:

@DEN @SA SA DAL

The way they are playing, they could easily lose out.

Minn's schedule:

APRIL OPPONENT TIME (ET) TV NAT TV TICKETS
Fri 15 at Utah 9:00 PM Fox Sports North Find Tickets
Sun 17 Seattle 3:30 PM Find Tickets
Mon 18 at New Orleans 8:00 PM KSTC 45 Find Tickets
Wed 20 San Antonio

They have an easy win at Utah tonight, then 2 easy games, then they might play a SA team that has no incentive to win at all.

MadDog73
04-14-2005, 09:08 AM
They have an easy win at Utah tonight, then 2 easy games, then they might play a SA team that has no incentive to win at all.

You mean, like SA had an easy win?

Fact is, you can't count on anything. Nuggets still could get 3rd seed. Sure, it's unlikely as Hell, but it's possible...

Man, poor Hornets. They have to play a desperate Sonics team and a desperate Wolves team.

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 09:18 AM
You mean, like SA had an easy win?

Fact is, you can't count on anything. Nuggets still could get 3rd seed. Sure, it's unlikely as Hell, but it's possible...

Man, poor Hornets. They have to play a desperate Sonics team and a desperate Wolves team.

Utah played last night, so Minn gets them on back to back..
Utah beat odds last night.....shitty teams do not do that twice in a row on back to backs.

MadDog73
04-14-2005, 09:41 AM
Utah played last night, so Minn gets them on back to back..
Utah beat odds last night.....shitty teams do not do that twice in a row on back to backs.

OK, so the Wolves make the playoffs. I can see that happening.

But why would they be a bye vs the Suns?!?

samikeyp
04-14-2005, 09:51 AM
I feel for Sick but I hope Minny's collapse makes Wolves009 jump off a building.

sickdsm
04-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Its a viable scenario. I very well could see Memphis losing the rest of their games and Mn wrapping up agaisnt SA with them controlling their fate. I think if it comes down to that it would be a very tough game for either teams. That's been on the horizon for quite a while now.

BUT, why would the last game of the season mean nothing but the 2nd and 3rd game meaning something? I think the spurs will wind up the 2nd seed and the last few games meaning nothing.

samikeyp
04-14-2005, 01:35 PM
so by your logic, the Wolves have only been in the playoffs once, and that was last year. Nice.

MadDog73
04-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Its a viable scenario. I very well could see Memphis losing the rest of their games and Mn wrapping up agaisnt SA with them controlling their fate. I think if it comes down to that it would be a very tough game for either teams. That's been on the horizon for quite a while now.

BUT, why would the last game of the season mean nothing but the 2nd and 3rd game meaning something? I think the spurs will wind up the 2nd seed and the last few games meaning nothing.

(ignoring wolves009)

Well, i think the point is the last game MIGHT not mean anything, depending on the earlier games.

If we still have a shot of beating the Suns for the Number 1 spot, I'm guessing the last game will mean SOMETHING....

(BTW, the Suns play later than us on April 20, so we may not know the final seeding until the Suns finish their last game).