PDA

View Full Version : Ads on NBA Practice Jerseys

ploto
08-14-2009, 09:38 PM
I never saw this discussed:

The hunger for new revenue during the economic downturn has the NBA and NHL entertaining the once-taboo prospect of corporate sponsorships for game uniforms.

Beginning this season the NBA will let teams sell ads on their practice jerseys, says deputy commissioner Adam Silver, who adds the league is continuing to explore the issue of ads on game jerseys.

"We are operating a diverse business all around the world," Silver says. "(The sponsored game jersey) is a well-established practice in other countries. Ultimately, I think our fans will come to accept it."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2009-07-28-jersey-ads_N.htm

Rappin' Shaq
08-14-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm down wit practice jerseys havin ads up on them
My first sponsor ad is Trojan Magnum condoms
Yall know it's cuz that's the smallest size that my dick'll take
Yo, needle dick fools, tell me how my ass taste!

Unforgivable
08-14-2009, 09:47 PM
rappin shaq!!!

Unforgivable
08-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Hey Rappin Shaq, try rapping about me you pussy faggot bitch.

MavDynasty
08-14-2009, 09:56 PM

You suck, bitch.

ChumpDumper
08-14-2009, 09:58 PM
I never saw this discussed:

The hunger for new revenue during the economic downturn has the NBA and NHL entertaining the once-taboo prospect of corporate sponsorships for game uniforms.

Beginning this season the NBA will let teams sell ads on their practice jerseys, says deputy commissioner Adam Silver, who adds the league is continuing to explore the issue of ads on game jerseys.

"We are operating a diverse business all around the world," Silver says. "(The sponsored game jersey) is a well-established practice in other countries. Ultimately, I think our fans will come to accept it."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2009-07-28-jersey-ads_N.htmThey did this in the D-League last season. I definitely remember the Vipers' having them.

Unforgivable
08-14-2009, 10:07 PM
You suck, bitch.

No, you suck.

baseline bum
08-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Great. The Fritos Spurs of San Antonio. The Dallas Mavericks brought to you by Enzyte. The Monster.com Rockets. The Federal Express Grizzlies. The Amway Magic. The Cablevision Knicks. The McDonald's Lakers.

:vomit:

Jacob1983
08-15-2009, 02:16 AM
Does this prove how much of a joke the NBA is right now? This is a ridiculous idea. The NBA is suppose to be a top notch league. This is the NBA, not Arena Football.

EricB
08-15-2009, 03:00 AM
Does this prove how much of a joke the NBA is right now? This is a ridiculous idea. The NBA is suppose to be a top notch league. This is the NBA, not Arena Football.

By selling ads on jerseys the public will only see in interviews on the evening news?

Yeah I see it now.... :rolleyes

ginobili's bald spot
08-15-2009, 03:02 AM

Rappin' Shaq is almost as washed up as the real Shaq.

duncan228
09-08-2009, 12:21 PM
SBJ: Nets first NBA team to sign practice jersey deal (http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/article/2009-09-07/sbj-nets-first-nba-team-sign-practice-jersey-deal)
John Lombardo, SportsBusiness Journal

The New Jersey Nets are the first NBA team to sell a practice jersey sponsorship, which will put the logo of PNY Technologies on practice uniforms this fall.

The company, a flash-drive manufacturer based in Parsippany, N.J., also bought the naming rights to the Nets' practice facility in East Rutherford, N.J., to be called the PNY Center as part of a two-year sponsorship agreement. Brett Yormark, president of Nets Sports & Entertainment, refused to comment on the value of the sponsorship. PNY officials would not disclose the specific value but said they are paying in the low six figures for the overall team deal.

To boost visibility and the value of the deal, the Nets' coaching staff will also wear PNY-branded gear during post-practice interviews. The deal also includes a team Web site presence, and the PNY logo will be seen on the media backdrop used for interviews at all practices. In addition, the team will give PNY four tickets to all Nets away games.

The deal comes as part of the company's renewal with the Nets and is not a season-presenting sponsorship agreement. Last year, the Nets had a season-presenting deal with Vonage. That deal is expected to be renewed for this season. PNY logo at practice center and in rendering on jersey

"This is an integrated deal but it is not a day-of-game type of deal," Yormark said. "It is an upsell of an existing partner but does not include any arena assets. The branding is not between 7 and 9:30 p.m. at the Izod Center."

"The practice jersey is a complementary part of our deal and it is certainly new to the advertising arena but it gives us added exposure with our brand," said Margaret Salleroli, senior marketing communications manager for PNY.

Like the NFL, the NBA this year allowed teams to sell practice jersey sponsorship deals as the league continues to mine for additional revenue streams for its clubs.

But one issue surrounding the new inventory for NBA teams this offseason is how to value the exposure.

"Our teams understand the advertising impressions of a practice jersey that an NBA player and team will get on video, Web and print is extremely valuable," sad Chris Heck, senior vice president of team marketing and business operations for the NBA. "What we don't know is exactly how much this is worth until we track it throughout this season starting at training camp."

"Teams will decide one of a number of different strategies with selling their practice jerseys this season," Heck said. "That may include selling to a current high-level partner, placing a special anniversary season logo or cause-marketing patch, or selling to a new partner that is interested in making a big splash."

Since they're looking to move to Brooklyn, N.Y., the key for the Nets to secure a deal was to create a separate sponsorship package around the team's practices.

"Teams are looking at it differently," Yormark said. "For us, we now have a platform outside the [Izod Center] arena that has value."

hater
09-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Rappin Shaq is garbage

JamStone
09-08-2009, 12:49 PM
I say they put ads on real jerseys too. It's time to take on all viable economic opportunities. With the talk of some NBA franchises losing money and bringing down the salary cap, why not? It doesn't change how the games are played. It just changes the look of the uniforms. If their are corporations willing to spend big money to put ads on the jerseys, do it.

jazzypimp
09-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Fuck!! I have to save spurstalk from being the fuckin Borehouse it has become!!

DPG21920
09-08-2009, 01:03 PM

Some of the richest leagues in the world (Soccer) do this and have done it for years. The names of the teams do not change.

DPG21920
09-08-2009, 01:05 PM
I say they put ads on real jerseys too. It's time to take on all viable economic opportunities. With the talk of some NBA franchises losing money and bringing down the salary cap, why not? It doesn't change how the games are played. It just changes the look of the uniforms. If their are corporations willing to spend big money to put ads on the jerseys, do it.

I agree. Just like naming rights for the arenas.

baseline bum
09-08-2009, 01:28 PM

That's the day I drop the NBA. No way am I going to cheer for the Frito-Lay Spurs.

DPG21920
09-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Dude, the name does not change. It is not Manchester AON's. It is still Manchester United.

The Franchise
09-08-2009, 01:42 PM
It's long overdue.

EricB
09-08-2009, 01:45 PM
That's the day I drop the NBA. No way am I going to cheer for the Frito-Lay Spurs.

Oh please.

It'll never come to that. All this fussying over the fucking practice jerseys is BS

Chillax man.

baseline bum
09-08-2009, 02:41 PM
No way will I support teams with FIBA-style billboard jerseys. The day they go to that is the day I never go to another game, never buy another piece of NBA gear, and never turn a game on ESPN or ABC again.

rAm
09-08-2009, 03:03 PM
No way will I support teams with FIBA-style billboard jerseys. The day they go to that is the day I never go to another game, never buy another piece of NBA gear, and never turn a game on ESPN or ABC again.

lol, sure man.

duncan228
10-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Amway to sponsor Magic practice jerseys (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txmagicpracticejerseya&prov=st&type=lgns)

The Orlando Magic are taking advantage of a new NBA rule allowing companies to purchase space on the jerseys players wear in practice.

The Magic announced Wednesday that they have partnered with Amway. The Michigan-based direct selling company will have its logo on the upper-right side of the team’s practice jerseys. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

This is the first season NBA teams were granted clearance to have a sponsorship presence on their practice jerseys.

Amway was founded in 1959 by Magic owner Rich DeVos and his friend, Jay Van Andel. Orlando’s arena has the company’s name, and it will also be on its new arena opening next season.